GTD65 Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 12/04/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: GTD65
The Crate GTD65 Guitar Amplifier combo features the FlexWave, a solid-state preamp that provides convincing tube-like tone and feel. You get 65 watts of power, three channels, a 12" speaker, CD inputs, and DSP effects.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 Features: 8.3
 8.6
 8.4
 8.7
reviews (4) 29 comments vote for this gear:
GTD65 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 04, 2009

Features: I got this year about 2 years ago at Guitar Center (had to buy the floor model.) and personally I think it's great. It has 3 channels you can switch between using a stomp pedal that came with it; the 3 channels are Clean, Overdrive, and High Gain. It has 3 effects which are kind of useless except for the Reverb which is fantastic. It has an AUX plug in (ipods, mp3 players, even your computer if you have the proper chords, which it does not come with.) I've used this amp playing a couple live shows, and I use it almost every day and I'm very happy with it. // 8

Sound: I'm using some off brand strat which actually sounds decent despite the horrible pickups, and an Ibanez GAX70. I personally keep the amp on clean always, and I don't use the pedal that came with it. I'm using a Boss ME-50 which works great with it. It can get loud in any situation, in the small shows I've played with it I didn't even have it turned up halfway; I have yet to hear how loud it can get. As high as I've turned it up the sound is just as good as if it were on the lower volumes. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Durability; something you won't have to worry about. I've dropped it, hit it on walls, knocked it over, sat on it, stood on it and the only thing coming off a little piece of "finish" which is like a thick detailed tape. The only thing you should really be careful of is the open back. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly Indie/alternative stuff and it works great. I've toyed around with other amps and I could never get the sound I get out of this one. The only thing I would change is the effects being a little more noticeable for someone that may not have any effects pedals. // 8

GTD65 Reviewed by: Metal_Master77, on may 16, 2008

Features: The Crate GTD65 Guitar Amplifier combo features the FlexWave, a solid-state preamp that provides convincing tube-like tone and feel. It has 65 watts of power, three channels, a 12" speaker, CD inputs, and DSP effects. The amp itself is 13.8 in. wide, 22.8 in. in depth, 20 in. high and weighs around 36 lbs. I use this amp in my room and in the basement for band practice. It has incredible volume for 65 watts. I only need to keep it at three or four when I'm with my band and that plenty loud. The CD input is really nice because you can play along to your CD's at the same time you play. The DSP effects are Reverb, Chorus, and Delay. The Chorus and Reverb work really well but, the delay effect gives you hardly any delay at all. I recommend buying a separate delay pedal if you want it. // 8

Sound: I use a Dean Razorback DB with this amp and it sounds absolutely awesome!! The triple channels are really nice. Plus, it comes with a footswitch for instant switching of the channels. There is a clean channel, which can have a deep, rich, warm tone, to a sharp, bluesy tone. There is also a distorted channel which gives you a 80's hair metal sound, at least on my guitar. The third channel sthe high gain channel. I don't even need a seperate distortion pedal this works so well, but it does sound better with one. The distortion sounds a bit muddy and grungy at low volumes, but after three or four, it's crisp and loud, but can be a bit staticish (noisy). // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is extremely reliable. I've had the amp for about 6 and 1/2 months now and nothing has ever gone wrong with it. I have banged it up against walls, doors; dropped it, knocked it over, etc. It hasn't been dinged, scratched or anything and looks like it did when it came out of the box. The footswitch is made of some durable metal and hasn't been cracked or chipped at all. It is extremely well made. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this amp is very good. I play metal and classic rock and the amp holds up to this style very well. The distortion is good and the clean is great. I love everything about the amp except for the DSP effects. The aren't really that special. Otherwise, there is nothing else wrong with this amp. Compared to other amps I played, this one sounded better than amps twice it's price. If it were lost or stolen, I'd be pissed and track down whoever stole it, and cram my metal down his throat. I use this with a Razorback DB, which is a metal guitar, and it holds up very well, not a lot of excess noise, except at high volumes. At this price, you can't beat it. it's an absolute steal. // 9

GTD65 Reviewed by: f22master, on december 04, 2008

Features: This is a 65 watt, solid state(SS), amp with a 12" speaker. It has 3 footswitchable channels, clean, overdrive, and high gain. it has 3 effects knobs: reverb, delay, and a combination chorus/flanger knob. the reverb and chorus work good but the delay is terrible. the best delay is the slapback, it's still not that great. this amp also has CD player/ipod imput that emphisises lead guitar parts and quiets the rest of the song. this amp can play almost anything from Metallica to ACDC to Pink Floyd. I only really use this amp at home so it is WAY to big for me. I've never had it turned past about 6(although I've taken the clean channel to 10) on the overdrive and high-gain channels. // 10

Sound: I play all my guitars through it, my B\.C\. Rich NJ Warlock, my Starcaster, and my Dean acoustic. it is perfect for Metallica and ACDC which is mainly what I play. it's also good for some nirvana and Green Day. the clean channel is crystal clear even on 10. the amp is not very noisy at all. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It seems tough as a brick! I've had it for about 6 months now and not a single problem with it. I have played Live with it twice. it worked just fine. it is very tough and very dependable. the plastic coating seems like it will last a lifetime. it looks like it will survive a fall down a flight of stairs! // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock and metal with some soft rock thrown in. This amp fits my style perfectly. I've been playing for about nine months now and this is still my only real amp. my other is a POS 10w starter-pack amp. I ove the raw power and tone that this amp provides. if it were lost I'd definetly get another one, although maybe a smaller model. the only thing I wish it had was it's own wah-wah pedal (but that's only because I'm to cheap to buy one. // 9

GTD65 Reviewed by: asfastasdark, on september 01, 2009

Features: This amp is OK for the price. I bought this amp about two years ago. It has one 12" Crate speaker. The amp has three channels, a clean channel, an overdrive channel, and a high gain channel, switchable by using buttons on the amp or the included footswitch. There is a volume control on each channel. Each channel except the high gain channel has a 3-band EQ (the high gain channel and the overdrive channel share an EQ). There is no effects loop or a headphone jack, but there is a CD input jack (which can also be used with iPods or MP3 players) and a jack to connect a cab to the amp. The amp is pretty versatile. This amp is plenty loud with 65 solid-state watts. It has a few effects, as well as reverb. There is also a tuner at the top, but this is horrible. It is very inaccurate and it's hard to tune with it because the LEDs constantly indicate that your string is tuned to D, after which it instantly switches to G, then to A, and back to D, for example. It's just very annoying and hardly usable. // 7

Sound: I use a Schecter Deluxe Hellraiser with an EMG 81/85 set. The amp sounds decent at best. The clean channel isn't all that bad, but the high gain channel is pretty bad and the overdrive channel could be better as well. At high gain levels, this amp can produce a lot of noise. If you play with gain maxed on the high gain channel it can produce some nasty unwanted feedback. None of the channels sound bad, but they're not amazing either, even for a solid state amp. The clean channel almost never distorts, and the distortion on this amp can go from light crunch to death metal. There are a few DSP effects. Three knobs: Reverb, chorus/flanger/phaser, and delay. The reverb is pretty good, but the chorus/flanger/phaser are hard to control and a bit subtle. The delay is all right, but very subtle. There is also a DSP effects bank that stores the last used effects settings for you, but you need to have the footswitch plugged in to be able to use this. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I have never had a problem with this amp, so I can't really say. The amp seems sturdy, however. I wouldn't say it's built to last for years, but it definitely looks like it could take a beating. Basically this amp is strong, but not built like a tank. It's a solid state amp so no need to worry about tubes. The amp is open-backed, so the speaker may be a bit more vulnerable, but this shouldn't be too big of a problem. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal but also other stuff. The high gain channel isn't perfect, but it does the job. I've been playing guitar for about four years. I now wish I'd gotten a different amp because it really isn't great for the price. I would definitely not buy this amp again if something happened to it. The clean channel is probably its best feature. It's very clear. The high gain channels are very noisy though, and the tuner is very unhelpful. I bought this a while ago, when I didn't really yet have an ear for good tone. I'd definitely recommend looking at other amps. // 6

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BV120H 8.1 Guitar Amplifiers 06/24/2013