GTX65 Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 03/17/2010 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: GTX65
The enhanced DSP section on the GTX65 includes the ability to select a multi-effect, add a variety of delay types and styles, modify those delay times through the use of a tap button and then add digital reverb separately. There is a visual indication of channel mode and tap speed for each effect.
 Features: 8.5
 8.3
 8.9
 7.6
reviews (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
GTX65 Reviewed by: metalgirl0, on march 17, 2010

Price paid: C$ 300

Purchased from: Steve's Music Store

Features: This is a 65 watt combo solid state amplifier, with a 12" speaker I purchased in 2007. It has 3 channels, the Solo channel that features a gain knob, a shape knob, a volume knob and uses the Rhythm channel's 3 band EQ, the Rhythm channel has a 3 band equalizer, gain and volume, and, finally, a Clean channel with a 3 band EQ and a volume knob. This amp also features a bunch of effects, it has a knob that switches between a few effects such as Chorus, Vibrato, Flanger, Touch Wah, Reverse Wah, Phaser and Octaver, while another knob switches between delay effects: Echo delay, Single delay, Echo FX delay and Tape Delay. There is also a knob for reverb, and a tap button you can use to set the speed of some of the effects, and to save your current effects settings. The amp also came with a footswitch. // 8

Sound: I am using this amp with a LTD F-250 that has passive EMGs on it. I play metal (as you can see in my username), and the amp does metal pretty well in my opinion. I mostly use it on the Solo channel because of the shape knob which scoops mids, but not too much. I think it sounds pretty good for an amp I had for 300$ brand new. The things I do not like with this amp are the effects, they do not sound "natural", they are digital effects. That's why I don't use them, I've never been a fan of effects anyways so it is not really a problem to me, but I wouldn't recommend someone to buy this amp because of the effects. The Solo and Rhythm channels are basically the same, except the Solo, as I said before, has a shape button, which scoops the mid frequency a bit, if you set it at 0 it will sound exactly the same as the Rhythm channel. The Clean channel is decent, I have no I idea if it distorts at higher volumes, I never used it for high volumes. I play it with the volume around 2 and it sounds alright for me. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've been using this amp since I bought it, which was 3 years ago. I never had any kind of problem with it, the speaker never let me down, nothing ever blew up in it. I would trust this amp on a small gig without backup, although I would be a bit scared of taking the risk of going on a gig with this amp without any backup. I still think it is reliable. // 9

Overall Impression: In conclusion, I play metal and this amp suits me well for now. Sure I wouldn't use it in professional recording or recommend it to a pro, but I'm happy with it since the beginning, I will probably replace it eventually to get something better (like a tube amp). Overall, I've been playing guitar for 4 years, and owning this amp for 3 years. I have another amp, a Ventura Vintage 30, which is horrible, even for a practice amp, it is horrible, I'm glad I have this GTX65 so I'm not forced to play with the Ventura one. It is not a bad amp at all, it does its job very well for a solid state amp, and I think Crate is underrated, and it shouldn't be. I'd recommend it to a musician if the musician itself has a chance to get one for cheap. // 8

GTX65 Reviewed by: Bryce-433, on december 11, 2006

Features: This is my review of Crate's GTX-65 combo amp w/ DSP. It has 3 channels (clean, solo, rhythm) with a footswitch. There are multiple effects and levels of delay that can be saved onto each channel, as well as your knobs that control highs, middles, lows, volume, gain, level, and shape, which allows for how hard you want your distortion to be. I just wish I had a cab to allow for greater sound distribution. // 9

Sound: I use a crappy First-Act that was bought from K-Mart (don't get anal here, I'm saving to buy a better electric) and my acoustic-electric Applause. The clean channel can provide warm tones, especially with chorus. it's sound varies from DSP effects such flanger, phaser, touch/reverse wah, octave, vibrato to delay levels like tape echo, echo, single, or you can just not use them altogether (but why not have any fun with experimenting). Previously mentioned, it has 3 channels and effects/delays can be programmed into them by your adjustment and by pressing the Save button. I randomly play A Perfect Circle, Tool, Metallica, and this amp allows for a decent sound when I play each of these bands. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I know I will depend on this amp, but I think a cab would help at a gig, hell, maybe even in a jam session. It hasn't broken down yet, partly because I've only had it for a few months. When I got it from Dakota Pawn, I knew that I would be satisfied with it's effects and the fact that it's more powerful than my last amp, about 51 watts more powerful. // 9

Overall Impression: Line 6 and First Act products I've tried pale in comparison to this amp. I've only had it for a few months, but it has been the most pleasureful few months of playing w/ it. It suits my style of playing, and I would love to put this beast to the test on stage. If it were stolen, I would not only get another one- but I'd find the dude who stole it, extract the info as to it's location, bring it back and have two of the same amp for double the everything. // 10

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014