GX10 Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 04/29/2006 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: GX10
Crate GX10 is the ideal amp for the beginning electric guitar player. Built with Crate's well-known care and quality, the GX-10 amp has both clean and overdrive capability. This amp is very portable and very durable. Pick the GX10 today and you can get into a low wattage beginner amplifier for very little down.
 8.1
 8.3
 7.9
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
GX10 Reviewed by: El Cumanés, on january 26, 2006

Features: Don't know the year that was made, cause its used. It just a very basic 10W solid state amp with the EQ (low, mid, high), 2 channel (clean and overdrive) but it doesn't have channel switching. The overdrive channel has a level and gain knob. You have to turn the gain all way down to use the clean channel. It has a effect loops and a headphone jack. Doesn't have a cd input jack, I think the last feature is very important cause it can be used just as a practice amp. // 7

Sound: I use a Biscayne Flyer LTD, and it has a very good clean sound. It isn't noisy at all, not even at full gain on the overdrive channel, but it doesn't have enough gain to play hard rock stuff or any style that need a heavy palm muting, but what can you expect from a basic amp? It doesn't too much variety by itself, the best features is the clean sound, but it get distorted after you turn up the volume higher that 7, but I never need to use that high, for practice 3 it enough. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Of course, as a practice amp I never will gig with this amp. About realibility, so far has never broke down. // 10

Overall Impression: Well, I just use it for practice, I use a fab metal pedal instead of the distortion of the amp and I'm very satisfied with the clean sound, which as I said earlier is the best features of this little cheap amp. If it were stolen I won't buy it again, I prefer to look for a bigger amp. The amp it isn't bad but neither good, it just a very a basic amp, but I think for the cheap price it offers more than what its worth. // 8

GX10 Reviewed by: RelientKaddict, on april 29, 2006

Features: Solid state, no idea of the manufacturing date. Is it versatile enough, not exactly. The overdrive isn't strong enough for like, Nirvana, but it'll do. If I need an overdrive or distortion boost, I'll get out my Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal. Other than that, this 0 Watt amp will do on five on the clean channel what a Fender of the same wattage barely does on seven or eight! It has a 3-band EQ, clean channel, overdrive channel, seperate volume switching for each channel. It has an F/X loop of sorts. You have to use a Y-cable, and you run a cable to the input on your pedal loop, and one to the output, and run them into their respective ends of the F/X loop. That way, it's only 1 jack. It has a headphone jack. I use it at home. It's not powerful enough for my kind of garage band jamming, and it'd do a small indoor space like a small-town Starbucks on overdrive. I'm gonna get a variable power setting head and stack for performance and garage jamming. // 7

Sound: I play a Mexi Stratocaster, single-coil pickups on it. It's great for everything that I play. You can slam fifty different effects into it, and it still sounds like an angel's harp. I play a little blues, punk, some alternative rock, some funky type stuff, oldies and classic rock, some metal, and my own creations. It's only seriously noisy if you really crank it. It's a little bit fuzzy if you've got the Drive all the way up, and especially if you turn the Overdrive volume way up. It can make ringing clean tones, some really acidic punk and grunge tones, and it's great for metal stuff. The clean channel distorts a little bit if you turn it way up and set the guitar to the bridge or neck pickup. It also sounds a little muddy if you do that at really high volumes. The distortion is my one complaint. To really get oomph out of it, you have to dial the volume up pretty high. And, you can't get Guns N' Roses type metal-distortion without a pedal, no matter how you try. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had it almost a year, and it's never failed yet. However, it did refuse to emit any sound other than hum once when I plugged it into a circuit that the ground was bad on. It doesn't like non-grounded circuits! Not at all! It's a hardy little amp. It's taken its bumps and bruises, and yet it keeps on slammin' and jammin'! Rule #1 with me. You always have a backup, regardless. If it does, by some horrid twist of fate, crap out on you, you don't wanna play without your amp, get booed off stage, and then find out that there was a record producer in the audience. Not good! // 8

Overall Impression: It works great overall with my style of music. A little over a year. Zoom 505 #2 guitar multi-effects pedal, Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal, an el cheapo (yet quite capable) foreign guitar, and a hollowbody electric that there's no brand name on. As stated before, I play a Fender Mexican Stratocaster. // 10

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014