GX212 Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 07/24/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: GX212
Featuring Twin Crate Custom L 12" speakers, 120 watts RMS, the GX212 is a powerhouse of tone. Perfect for professional and practicing musicians in the market for an amp that provides power and versatile tone without exception. The GX212 includes Crate's patented tube simulating Flexwave 5 Preamp, as well as three-channel operation for sparkling clean, rhythm, and buttery distortion.
 8.2
 8.7
 7.6
reviews (3) 3 comments vote for this gear:
GX212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 06, 2005

Features: The amp has three channels, one clean and two disorted channels. I only use the clean channel because my effects have all the distortion I need. And I use multi-effects, which are noisy as hell, so I wouldn't be able to use the gain channels if I wanted to. But I don't want to, so the amp suits me fine. If I need to, I might turn down the gain and balance levels so one of the gain channels becomes a solo boost channel. Comes with a three button footswitch for me to do just that. Switches between channels and reverb on/off. Amp has lots and lots of power and volume. I filled a large church hall with about 150 people in attendance without having to crank the volume too high. All other times I've mic'ed the amp and gone through the house, with the volume as low as I can go while still letting the amp sing out. Lots of power and enough volume still even if you don't have a PA. // 10

Sound: Using a Hamer Diablo with a Boss ME-33 multi-effects. The guitar and amp sound great together without the effects. Gives a very warm clean sound. The amp and guitar give a wide range of sounds. The gain channels are a little weak for hard rocking sometimes, but like I mentioned before, I just use my multi-effects now. Noisy as hell when run on the gain channels with the multi-effects, but that's not the amp's fault. Otherwise very quiet, clean channel still clean at high output. Great stuff! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is the one thing that makes me mad about my amp. I've had to take it in for repairs twice in about 6 months (I've owned the amp for almost 2.5 years). First time it was a bad capacitor and bad soldering. Second time it was the insert jack. This was all covered by the 5-year transferable warranty, but it was still annoying to take it in for repairs. Especially because the second time it died during the final soundcheck at a big gig (I wasn't playing guitar, I was on drums, but I'd lent my amp to our guitarist because mine's bigger). From watching my amp die on someone else like that, I will never gig without a backup. Then again I never gig without a backup anything. // 6

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock. A wide variety of rock though. From pop rock to hard rock. And a little bit of metal. Whatever the group feels like doing. This is a pretty versatile amp. Combine that with a multi-effects and you can play just about anything. If this amp was lost, I'd probably buy it again. And if I buy something else it'd just be a stack from the same series. This series is great for my setup. I love the amp's simplicity. Because of the multi-effects, I don't need anything too fancy on the amp, and this amp serves that purpose very well. I've just been hating taking the damn thing for repairs recently. I played through a little 15 watt Peavey amp before. I took this amp because it was simple enough; just clean and gain channel and reverb. When I looked to move up from the little Peavey, I chose this amp because it didn't have anything fancy, like the Peavey, which is exactly what I wanted. // 10

GX212 Reviewed by: XxDiStUrBeDxX, on july 07, 2006

Features: Great amp for metal and cleans as well. This is a solid state, 2x12" speakers, and 120 watts. This thing is really loud. It has the basic two channels. The shape knob gives the distortion a really good sound. // 8

Sound: I'm using a F-100 FM and this amp sounds great with that guitar. It is pretty noisy so if you play at higher volumes you'll need to get noise-gate. The lows are awesome as well as the highs even when cranked up. The distortion sounds real and full. I have the distortion at 6 because I don't have a noise-gate and I can still play Lamb Of God, Killswitch and all that at that level. Also I play at lower volumes since I just play in my room. The clean channel is really warm and doesn't break up at all even at higher volumes. The lows are awesome on the clean channel as well. Great great sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've been playing on this amp for a few months where my friend left it at my house. This amp is definitely built to last. This amp could be used at a gig and blow people away. The amp has never broken down. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and clean stuff too and it suits me perfect at the point in my guitar playing. I've been playing around 2 years and this amp is definitely the best amp you're going to find around that price range. I love the distortion and the clean channel. My favorite feature has to be the shape knob. It tightens up your sound on the distortion channel and makes it sound awesome. This amp will suit you if you play metal or just about anything else as well as volume goes. This thing is really loud at 120 watts what could you expect? I wanting to buy one of these in the future. Bottom line, great amp. // 10

GX212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 24, 2008

Purchased from: Music Go Round

Features: My model was built 6 or 7 years ago before Crate got a face lift with the logo they have today. It has two gain channels which I would describe as modern and Vintage. These channels are crunchy but muddy, and the gain channels have only a two band EQ (although it also includes a "shape dial"), and for me, playing progressive rock and metal, it wasn't clear enough to accentuate notes. I use the clean channel most often, which includes 3 band EQ, with my own effects and distortion plugged into the face, as there are no effects loop jacks. There is a foot switch for the amp but only one pre-selected gain channel is accessible remotely. There is also a reverb Switch. The face also includes a jack for external speakers, I plugged this into a 2x12 Mesa Cab one time and fell in love with the tone even this amp produced through that set. Growing up and learning, and even with my desire to play more aggressive styles, this amp was rather adequate for practicing and small jam sessions with friends. It even includes a headphone jack for late night riffing when I lived at home with my parents. But even with 120watts solid state power, the challenge of a friends small tube amplifier was blowing me away. When jamming I often had troubles with feedback, even with reverb and gain throttled down real low. Which is why I am parting with this amp that got me jump start toward my love of the guitar. // 6

Sound: I play a lot of progressive rock, metal, and rock, dabble around with some blues. But my only guitar is geared for the latter. An Ibanez 320DX with a Floyd Rose trem, and after market Duncan Invader in the bridge and DiMarzio Evolution in the neck. This amp is great for playing my style, also I don't get some of the chuggy brutal breath from this thing that I get from my Randall. But it would be all you could ask for in a rock and jazz amp. And the unfortunate side effect of plugging in effects and distortion into the face of the amp means that it has a bit of a hiss to it. But it's a relatively quiet hiss. The clean channel has way too much bass, but It could be my pickups. The speakers distort and clean channel must be kept at low levels, doesn't produce a very warm clean sound. // 8

Reliability & Durability: You can count on this thing for home, or jamming with friends, but unless it was mic'd it would be blown away by other amps on stage at a live gig. It hasn't given out on me this far though in the last 6 or 7 years, but I've only cranked it a handful of times, played it real loud at jams 15% of the time and 85% of the time just keep it on 2-3 at home practicing 1-2hrs a day. The only real beef I have about this amp is the shotty upholstery job, near the edges of the vynil/canvas cover encasing the boards of the gig box it is peeling back, and just the adhesive all around has lost its grip and leaves the skin bubbly and pocketed. I re-upholstered mine about 2 years ago, by peeling back the original skin and reapplying spray adhesive. // 8

Overall Impression: Going into my 8th or 9th year of playing. I wouldn't buy this amp again, not for the level I'm at now, I have a real desire to cultivate a unique sound, for which I need a more flexible rig. This is a great amp for an aspiring guitarist to feel out and develop technique. // 9

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014