GX2200H Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 06/01/2006 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: GX2200H
As a full-sized head, the GX2200H produces 220 watts RMS and features Crate? s patented FlexWave tube simulating preamp and award winning engineering. This head includes three channel operation for a triad of extreme tone opportunities, as well as reverb and an effects loop.
 8.2
 9.3
 7.1
review (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
GX2200H Reviewed by: blackmetal619, on june 01, 2006

Features: I believe this head was made in 2004. It is a Crate Classic GX2200H which produces 220 watts. This is crates most powerful head. "Player type: Producing a massive 220 watts, the GX2200H towers as Crate's most powerful amplifier head" (from the Crate site). It has a patented FlexWave tube simulating preamp. It has a great distortion used mainly for metal, and it has another gain, great for rock. It also has a great clean channel, and a built in reverb. When the reverb is turned all the way on 10, it starts to make a low humming sound which is very annoying, maybe it is just my cab, I don't know. It has 3 channels, and a foot switch to press a button and switch back and forth. It also has a headphone jack so you can just listen for yourself. It has all the basic features any other head has, so I dont expect too much from it. I use both gains to make it more brutal. I use this amp in my room, for practice, and even for shows. It is easily loud enough, considering my guitarist uses a Peavey 5150 II head with a Behringer 4x12 cab. It is a solid state head, but can keep up with most tube amps. The only real problem is the built in reverb, but once again it could be my shitty cab. Plus I use an RP100 so I never really use the built in reverb anyways. // 9

Sound: I use my Gibson SG with Seymour Duncans, or my Kramer Imperial with the Quadrail humbuckers. They both sound really clear on the clean channel and sound really heavy wit the distortion. My Kramer has a licensed floyd rose which sounds killer doing divebombs and such when the amp is turned way up. The gain really picks up the harmonics. This amp can be noisy if you want it to be. One thing I noticed that I thought was weird about it was when I had the level turned down all the way, I can still hear myself playing, just very softly. Another thing is, theres a certain point from when the amp goes from quiet, to about twice as loud even though I barely turned it up. That's when I just use the volume control on my guitar. This amp cant make too many different noises, just clean, clean/reverb, light distortion/with or without reverb, and heavy distortion/with or without reverb. No matter how loud you turn it up, it never really gets fuzzy or anything. The distortion sounds really good and sometimes I prefer just using that. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp could definately be depended on, I've used it for shows no problem. This amp has never broken down at all, it works fine. Sometimes when I'm driving it around in my car, if I go over something bumpy, it makes a ticking noise, but I'm sure it's just some wire in there moving back and forth. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp would sound good for any type of music from emo, screamo, hardcore, rock, metal, and some blues. I don't like anything but metal, but I'm just saying that this amp could play all of the above. I didn't have too many questions about this product because I researched it and knew everything about it before buying it. I got it from a friend at a good price, so I'm satisfied with my purchase. Just search the internet for specs, and see if this amp fits you. If it were lost or stolen, I would honestly probably just upgrade to a 5150, because I'm getting a job and if I have the money, I might as well go all the way. Not that this amp sucks, because I hope it doesnt get lost or stolen because it still rocks. I like the way the distortion sounds, and I really like how much power it has. The 5150's have 120 watts and this has 220. But you have to remember that the 5150 is also all tube so it would still kill this one. I hate how I get a low humming noise when the reverb is all the way up. The other product I compared this one too was the Behringer V-Ampire LX1200H, I liked the Behringer because it had a ton of built in effects and they go for around $200. I got the Crate because I got it from a friend with a cab and DigiTech processor for $250. I could have gotten just a head for 200 or the whole set up for $50 more. Overall this head works great for me. // 9

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014