GX30M Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 08/09/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: GX30M
Perfect for perfect for jams and smaller venues it features a Crate 12" speaker and 30 watts RMS, the GX30M includes Mono chorus with depth & rate, two channels for clean and distortion tones, external speaker jack, and headphone jack.
 Features: 7.4
 6.9
 7.7
 6.1
reviews (5) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
GX30M Reviewed by: kaplac, on february 06, 2006

Features: Suitable for most all jazz, blues, and can decently pull of a classic rock sound, it has a very tube-like sound. It was first introduced in 2000 from Crate amplifiers. It has overdrive, and clean drives. With a reverb, and a chorus. It has a jack for a footswitch, headphones, and recording (I think). The overdrive has a gain, shape, and a level function which really helps you zero in on the toen you want. And the chorus is ok, I never use it that much. The cleans are great. I personally love them, they have a great Nirvana-esque pop to them. I do wish that it woudl have some more effects, like a delay and such, but other then that it's perfect. // 9

Sound: I'm using a standard Godin Freeway Classic, with this amp. This amp was practically made for classic rock and jazz sounds, very tube sounding. It's perfect for small venues and band practicing. Personally I think it sounds better in larger more open spaces. It's pretty quite for the most part, except when you turn on the gain up on ten. It has a really great light distortion on 3-6, and can give great acdc and led zeppelin sounds right about there. You can't get very much of a heavy metal sound, but it does ok on the metallica sound, definately not suited for metal. Overall this is a great amp for lighter distortion genres. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp seems good enough. I don't feel liek it'll fall apart, middle of the show. But who on earth wouldn't gig with a backup, even with the most reliable stuff? But overall everything on it is great. // 9

Overall Impression: I normally play classic rock and metal. Thsi amp was exactly what I was looking for. If I ever needed a stronger distortion, I can jsut add a pedal, and viola. I'm very happy with this amp. And if it ever got stollen, I'd ask for it back. If he doesnt' give it back, I'd ask for him to give me money for a new one. I only wish I could have gotten it new. // 10

GX30M Reviewed by: JoQsh, on july 13, 2007

Features: The chorus effects do what they're made to do, nothing more. It can be a little tricky getting the depth and rate to line up, and if they don't, you end up with notes and their flats and sharps being played at the same time, a very bad thing. It works nicely with a low rate though. The Clean channel is definitely the better of the two. Distortion is decent, but if you like a lot of gain, it just sounds muddy. On the distortion channel, it's often better to just overdrive the guitar's EQ and use a lower gain setting. Speaking of the EQ, the trebles are hard to get rid of when you don't want them, and the middles are hard to expose. Playing on an Epiphone Les Paul Special II, I usually turn the treble knob on the guitar down in order to mellow it out a bit. // 6

Sound: The guitar I play through this amp is an Epiphone Les Paul Special II, just as it came in the box. I play a lot of different styles of music, but the amp doesn't. It doesn't have much sound variety. The clean channel is good, but distorts horribly if you push the volume past about halfway with reverb on. You have to turn reverb off, or you end up sounding like your amp just took a mud bath. The distortion channel is moderate. You can get a subtle edge or a nice crunch out of it, but it still leaves you looking for a bit more variety. Also, the sound isn't very distinct. It tends to be covered up by other guitar players unless you're playing a unique rhythm. // 4

Reliability & Durability: It's a pretty solid-sounding, dependable amp. It's never broken down on me or had any problems. I've never worried about whether or not it will work right. No need for a backup here. Just make sure you'll be able to get enough volume out of it for the gig. It's definitely reliable, you know what to expect when you plug in. And the lack of sound variety means it's not too hard to find the settings you want, as long as you're not too demanding. // 8

Overall Impression: I bought this amp so I'd have something to use on the chruch worship team with enough power to be heard, and something better then my old practice amp to play on at home. It's a realatively solid amp, just somewhat disappointing when you push it. I've been playing the amp for about 6 months, and I've been playing guitar for about 2-3 years. I've used the amp for just about every style of music you can play guitar with, and it never quite gets the right sound, but it's not really a disappointment either. It's a decent amp, there's not really anything to hate about it, except maybe the problem of not having the option of reverb on high volumes, but there's not much to love, either. It's got all the features you need, but they don't change the sound quite as much as I'd like. I know my review makes the amp sound bad, but it's really not. It's pretty solid for most things, it just doesn't provide much sound variety, and you can't really put the full 30 watts to use. For small gigs, though, it's pretty decent, and definitely reliable. // 6

GX30M Reviewed by: Ralph Napier, on may 27, 2008

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Features: I think this is one of the earlyer amps, it seems like it's taken a lot, but held up really well. As far as being versitile, not really. It has a really nice clean tone, once EQ'd correctly. The overdrive channel is aweful. just, it is horridly noisy, almost no bass, Very similar to AM radio, really. The reverb seems quite weak in mine, bearly noticeable turned to 10. Sounds nice for what it is, though. The chorus is horrible on all but one setting. Speed-4, Depth-4. this makes quite a fluid, sweeping chorus. Depth or speed higher, and it's almost a tremello effect. // 7

Sound: I'm playing a custom three humbucker tele, pics in profile. SH-4, mainly. this amp sounds "Soul-less" at levels 3 or lower. Over level about 7, solid state distortion. But the middle levels are nice for clean sounds. it may be a little heavy on bass, but it's got an O.K. EQ range, so it can be dialed in. Good clean, Unuseable distortion. Seriously. I play Gun's n' Roses to ZZ top, to Metallica to Slayer. This amp has a tendancy to "Fart" with heavy bass and deep-tuned guitars. It gets really bad at higher levels of volume. I use a Damage Control Distortion pedal, running 2 12AX7's, and it sounds great from that. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing can take anything. it's insane. It seems like it can run through anything. I think this is one of the earlyer amps, it seems like it's taken a lot, but held up really well. As far as being versitile, not really. It has a really nice clean tone, once EQ'd correctly. the overdrive channel is aweful. Just, it is horridly noisy, almost no bass, Very similar to AM radio, really. The reverb seems quite weak in mine, bearly noticeable turned to 10. sounds nice for what it is, though. The chorus is horrible on all but one setting. Speed-4, Depth-4. this makes quite a fluid, sweeping chorus. depth or speed higher, and it's almost a tremello effect. // 10

Overall Impression: Nice amp for mid-level (Bedroom-light jamming) and practice volumes. Really nice Clean channel. Unuseable Overdrive. OK built in effects. Basicly, pretty nice beginner's amp for the price. I got it as my first amp. I think this is one of the earlyer amps, it seems like it's taken a lot, but held up really well. As far as being versitile, not really. It has a really nice clean tone, once EQ'd correctly. The overdrive channel is aweful. just, it is horridly noisy, almost no bass, Very similar to AM radio, really. The reverb seems quite weak in mine, bearly noticeable turned to 10. sounds nice for what it is, though. The chorus is horrible on all but one setting. Speed-4, Depth-4. this makes quite a fluid, sweeping chorus. depth or speed higher, and it's almost a tremello effect. // 8

GX30M Reviewed by: yellowsnow4free, on february 26, 2009

Features: 30 watt solid state amp. Not sure what year it was made, but I think it might be from the late 1990's. Good clean sound, and an okay overdrive too. Works good for classic rock and anything else with light distortion. Not sure on the channels, basically 3 modes: clean, overdrive, and chorus. Does include a headphone jack, but no loops. I basically use this for practicing. Definitely has enough power for that. // 7

Sound: I'm using this amp with my Standard Fender Strat, SSS configuration. It works great for clean sounds and with a little distortion. It is a bit noisy though. I thought it was my guitar, but it wasn't. It's just noisy when nothing is plugged into it. Distortion is okay; a petal is definitely better. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It is definitely dependable. It doesn't quit working. I could probably gig with it without a backup too. It's a solid state amp, so it shouldn't need too much as far as servicing goes. When I bought it, it looked like it had been sitting for years. A little "Armor All" and it was good to go. A for reliability and durability. // 9

Overall Impression: Great for classic rock. IMO, the overdrive isn't bad either. A nice and powerful practice amp. Would be a great amp if it wasn't for the noise. If it was stolen, I'd get something better. But, in my case, for $30, try and find a better amp for the price. // 8

GX30M Reviewed by: Butch Basden, on august 09, 2011

Purchased from: pawn shop & ebay

Features: Crate 1x12" combo amp. I'm not sure of the d.o.m. This GX30M is Chinese-made. 2 channels, reverb & chorus, footswitch, head-phone, & external. Spkr. Jack are all on front on panel. Alotta neat features for a cheap 30 watt 4 ohm amp. You can Switch back & forth between the channels with the footswitch. // 8

Sound: This amp sounds tolerable at lower volumes (under 4.5). I use a 2003 lefty mex. strat with ceramic pups & a lefty O.L.P. MM-1 with SH-2 & SH-4 Seymour Duncan pups(alnico 5 magnets) w coil splitters. The clean channel sounds best. You can coax a "fairly decent" bluesy distortion with much patience from the O.D. Channel. My Chinese-made GX30M has the crappiest 12" speaker I've ever heard (& I'm 60 yrs. Old). Pure junk; a spkr. Change was necessary. Crate screwed up when they made this amp 4 ohms. They should have made it 8 ohms & had it where the ohmage would drop to 4 ohms when you use the external spkr jack. As it stands, the amp operates at 4 ohms & the internal speaker(12") cancels out when the speaker jack is used. Why cancel out a 12" speaker? This would have been 1 of the best s.s. 30 watt amps I've used to date except for the 4 ohm/speaker jack crap. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I have had no service problems with this amp. This GX30M was made in China; however, I also own the same amp that was usa-made. They have the same features, but differ cosmetically. The usa amp has a seemingly better speaker in it. Crate solid state amps last a long time whentaken care of. // 9

Overall Impression: As I stated b4 I'm 60 yrs. old. I play with older friends that I've played music with all my life. I've been gigging for 35 + years, Mainly classic 60's-80's rock. I use this amp to work out tunes, for lessons, & to practice, only. I really don't use this amp on stage as I don't consider 30 watts enough to pull it off, even with miking. I would be absorbed & walked over by the drummer & keyboard player. It could definately be used in small venues, i.e. small bars, etc.. I own & use alot of older Crate amps (love the "U.S. Made" older GX series). I seem to get alot more bang for the buck. // 6

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014