GX60D Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 08/05/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: GX60D
This model combines compact size and tone for the home recording enthusiast or casual pro who occasionally needs a highly versatile amp for gigging.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Features: 9.3
 7.3
 8.7
 5.9
reviews (3) user comments vote for this gear:
GX60D Reviewed by: will342, on december 08, 2006

Purchased from: Used

Features: This amp is a little bit strange, I belive it's an early 90s model, but it's been out of production for some time. I'm playing mostly rock, but branching out into most generes, blues, heavy rock, metal and everything in between occasionaly. The GX60D has two speakers, each putting out a solid 30 watts. This is really just a bedroom amp for me, and it's probably overkill as a slight twich on the volume will start shaking the house. This amp is really loud! It packs lots of punch, and is quite heavy. The amp has two main channels, one is set up for distortion (but can be clean if neccesairy) and the other is a clean channel. The distortion channel has a few switches, gain, shape (sorta like a frequency enhancer, it modifies the distortion noise), a switch to turn the shape off, and the low, high and master volumes. The clean channel it's standard with the low, high and master volume, but also includes a mid volume control that is nice for fine tuning. You also get quite a nice bult in chorus available (although not quite as nice sounding as a good chorus pedal) you get depth and rate control for the chorus, so again lots of fine tuning possible. There's also no less then 31 built in effects (dsp) although most of them are just different types of reverb, echo, slapback delay and some other stuff (including an infinite delay so you can make those cool sounds that you love from your 1970s style physics movies you watched in high school). What's kinda neat is that the amp will remember which settings you had with the DSP in a particular channel, and you can program up to 4 effects in the distortion channel, and 2 in the clean channel. You also get footswitch with three switches that will let you Switch channels, toggle the shape control and toggel the chorus. There's a headphone jack as well which is always good, and a stereo effects loop jack (send and return) and external speaker outputs. I haven't been playing for that long so I don't really use any of the DSP stuff but I'm sure some do. It would also be nice if it was a little bit easier to use, perhaps a seperate reverb dial rather then it being stuck in with the DSP. // 9

Sound: I'm playing this amp with a Godin Freeway Floyd. Usually I'm playing with the bridge humbucker but all of my pickups get used. First played clean, the amp provides a really rich tone. With a humbucker, the bass in particular(if you have it turned up) comes out great with a very satisfying boom accompanied by your floor shaking. The highs are clear and crisp and there is very little to no feedback noise. In single coil mode, the tone is less contrasted and rich as expected. Feedback is still minimal, although more present. In general though, the clean channel is very warm and has a huge variety of sound depending how you set it up. I'm too scared to turn up the clean past about 40% of it's volume, but even then, there is no hint of distortion.The distortion channel shares the same great sound, but after you start turning the gain past about 12 the position, the amp gets fairly noisy (although you can cut some of this out playing around with the shape and low/high controls). The disortion itself is great though, cranking both the gain and shape gives you a really thick, deep distortion that is better then most distortion pedals. From there, you can get varying levels of distortion all the way down to none. Turning off the shape control gives you a whole additional slew of sounds to play with. Right from the in-your-face gritty tones to deep basy distortion to Vintage style there is a ton of variety. The strength of this amp defenetly lies in it's crystal clear clean channel, and it's wicked sounding distortion, and of course the sheer amount variey that can be found. Having said this, the noise with the distortion can (I find) detract from the clarity of the sound, so this is reflected in the rating. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing is a beast. It weighs in at nearly fifty pounds and feels solid as a rock. I have never had a problem with it and would have no problem depending on it. One thing that might be better though, is a shielding for the back of the amp as the speakers and wiring are exposed within the cabinet. // 9

Overall Impression: In terms of the variety of stuff I play, this amp is really flexible to my needs. If you do get this amp, make sure you try to find a manual to come with it though, finding what "27" on the DSP knob is kinda hard on your own. There are a few online copies still kicking around on the internet. There's plenty of features on this amp to keep you busy, lots of variety, the clean channel sounds super rich, and the distortion channel sounds excellent. All in all, there really is not much to complain about. If it were stolen or lost, I'd probably have a tough time finding another one but I would probably buy another Crate amp. This amp strikes an excellent balence between variety, features and it's sound. Don't hesistate to buy one. // 9

GX60D Reviewed by: daware14, on august 20, 2007

Purchased from: Pawn World

Features: I don't know what year it was made, but it has great clean, and it's got chorus feature, and all kinds of mini effects like delay and stuff like that. It has 2 channels Dist. and clean, the dist. is ok it could be better, I use the amp just wherever I need it, and it has more than enough power for me. The one thing I can complain about is that it fades out somtimes, but I think it's just because it needs to be cleaned. // 10

Sound: I'm using EMG 85's and playin with them through that amp sounds really good. I like metal music, and it fits that pretty well. It is LOUD, there is a lot of fuzz if you use the dist. setting (I use a Boss ME-30 processer to make the dist. better)There is a lot of effects so there is so many variations of sounds. The clean channel is as clean as can be, even at high volumes. The dist. as I said earlier is alright it's not great, and it has a bad fuzz feedback sound, but it isnt extremely bad or anything. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It would definatly be reliable in a gig, I've never really had much trouble with it at all. It is a Crate after all. I haven't really taken to a lot of places so I can't really get in to detail on how durable it is. But my dad has an 80 watt Crate he's thrown has around and his has lasted through all that and still works well, he's had it for 15 yrs. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly Metallica and it can get me the sound I want, but I use a processer for dist. I've played for 1 year I use a Epiphone Sg G-310 with EMG 85's, and a Boss ME-30 Effects processer. There was really no regrets when I bought it. If it were stolen I would proly just save up for a half stack. I love the clean sound, I hate the fuzz in the dist., and my fav feature is the chorus. It was between a 80 watt Crate tube amp for 200, or this. and I bought this cause it sounded just as good but was a little cheaper. I wish the dist. was better. // 9

GX60D Reviewed by: alphawolf0019, on august 05, 2009

Features: I don't know what year the amp was made. The amp is quite versatile in it's style- It's got a clean and 2 types of distortion on it. A kick pedal came with it, so it can be switched between the channels easily. It has a headphone jack and jacks to plug the kickpedal in on several spots. One for clean/distortion/super distortion, one for no/reverb, one for no/chorus. I don't use the chorus or reverb on it too often. They sound fine, I just don't have a use. I use it at home, but it is better suited for louder play. The level knobs are quite touchy. When it's on 1, it sounds like a practice amp. But just tap it beyond that, and it's blowing your mind. I've never gone beyond 4 on it. // 9

Sound: I use this with a Reverend Daredevil. When it's using more of the Neck pickup, it's best suited for clean. When using more of the bridge pickup, any channel works. When using more of the neck pickup, it has a tendency to sound muted and muffled with the distortion. It has a slight buzz to the amp when it's set on the more intense gain and on the bridge pickup, but it's not very loud and is much so outweighed by the pinch harmonics that can be squeezed out of it. The clean is best suited for playing something more Acoustic or light. The distortion is better suited for rock, but the most intense distortion channel is best suited with the gain turned high and for shredding some metal riffs. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's quite dependable. I found it curb shopping around town. The kickpedal didn't work at first, but it was just because of the cable, but I think that the person threw it out because of the kickpedal. For a freeby, it was a great find. I've only ever had one problem with it. Occasionally, the amp just looses sound, and I have to lightly hit it to get it to work again, and it may do it again after a few minutes. The problem only ever occurs after playing for a while. // 7

Overall Impression: I play a wide variety of music from acoustic/clean music to the heaviest metal riffs. It's been quite a good match- the sounds on it can match just about any style of music. If it were lost or stolen, I would indeed try to buy another one of these. But because Crate has discontinued it, I probably wouldn't find one. I love the whole sound of it and it's sturdiness. Whenever I lug around my pedals, there's also enough room in back for the pedals and cords, so it's a great deal. There were only ever 2 things I'd like to change about it- the first would be the fact that the sound cuts out (see Reliability and Durability section). The second is that I wish it were lighter. This amp is 55 pounds of Beast! // 8

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014