GX65 Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 03/11/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: GX65
65 watts and 3 channels give the GX65 versatility and power. This amp is for active players who continually drive their amp rehearsing or performing small venues.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Features: 9.3
 8.1
 9.2
 6.9
reviews (3) 9 comments vote for this gear:
GX65 Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 25, 2003

Features: Im not sure of the the year I think its pretty new. Oh yeah the amp is great it has the bass, mid,treble. I play heavy from medium light like system of a down to nirvana. There is 2 channels for distortion wich you can customize,it came with a foot pedal box which you can switch between the two distortions that you want and reverb. I wish it had a flanger cause thats the only pedal i use i like to keep my music an natrul as possible. I use the amp at school and smaller places. The amp is only a 65 watt and it was keeping up with other 100 watt amps. // 8

Sound: I have a Crate guitar also im not sure of the pickup sytles. It really does suit my music good like i said before from heavy to light just change the settings to you likeing and bamm you got sound. There is the usual noise of eeeeeeee when the distortion is on but not when your playing and theres certain sweet spots where u can get it to ring. the clean does get distorted at high volumes usually high end treble settings. The distortion is pretty good but i use a DoD death metal pedal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The amp is good.I really do trust it as long as you treat it right. I have had to get it repaired because i "blew" it, i cried because that amp is like my 1st born child // 8

Overall Impression: i have been playing for 4 yrs.i own 2 dod pedals a flanger and death metal distortion.Depending on my money situation if i had to get a new amp i like going deaf i would get a bigger amp.I really love the output of the amp.I really dont like the distortion that it comes with. // 8

GX65 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 17, 2004

Purchased from: Mansons Guitars

Features: Solid state 65watt amp. Features include: 1 input, 1 insert for effects loop, 1 ext. Speaker socket with 4ohm minimum impedance. The amp has a clean channel along with 2 distortion channels and reverb. The clean channel can be adjusted using bass, mid and treble controls whereas the distortion uses gain, bass and high. One distortion channel also benefits from a 'shape' control. A footswitch controls the channels and reverb very easily. // 10

Sound: I use the amp with an Epiphone G-400 and a variety of single effects units. Overall, the amp retains a decent sound, even with the effects units. The distortion channels are 'unique'. You either love them or hate them. The shape control allows you to variate the distortion of one channel from lighter, melodic distortion to the more extreme SOAD styles. The clean channel is excellent. The G-400 is not the most versatile guitar, yet running this straight into the amp still provides a warm sound. The reverb is brilliant, you can variate this hugely with just the single 'level' control. This amp is exceptional on stage, competing with far more powerful amps. I also run the amp through Twin 12inch speakers i built together which is great. To provide an even warmer sound, I take advantage of the effects loop rather than 'daisy-chaining'. This boosts the input signal significantly. I then run the guitar through a 4 channel mixer (very cheap) to boost the signal even more. On stage, this sounds wonderful, especially with any effects you are using. My advice would be to buy a decent distortion unit as this is far better than the distortion on the amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very reliable. That being said, you have to turn the amp up a fair way to hear the clarity of the sound properly. This, of course, will annoy your neighbours or parents and the volume controls are also very sensitive. This is the other reason i run my guitar through a mixer, because the volume on this is far more stable.The amp is heavy, even with an open back. But its very strong. It fell through weak floor-boards in my room and the only thing that broke was the reverb unit coz the cables were removed. Try to keep the amp covered if possible, because dust can get in very easily. // 10

Overall Impression: The only real flaw of the amp is the odd distortion, but this easily rectified with a distortion pedal. The shape can also help to make it better so don't get disheartened. Its not overly expensive either, so its a good buy. Ive been playing for around six years and have played many styles, such as slipknot, korn and have matured towards Blink 182, Millencolin, Incubus etc. The amp suits all styles well, and the tone can be perfected with an equalizer. I use a home-built 12 band equalizer that is awesome. If it were stolen, I would go for a hybrid valve/transistor amp, purely for the brilliant tone they offer. Dont get me wrong, the Crate GX65 is outstanding, with power, clean tone, adequate distortion and great reverb for a cheap price. This ideally suits intermediate guitarists looking to get something with more grunt than a 10-30 watt practice combo. // 10

GX65 Reviewed by: jeffo46, on march 11, 2011

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Features: Mine was made in September of 1997 and is still going strong. I bought this in February of 2008 and have never had any problems with it. It's a 65 watt, 2 channel combo with 2 different kinds of distortion and has a 12" Crate special Design speaker and was made right here in the good ole' US of A! It weighs in at around 32 lbs and comes with a single button footswitch. It is Solid State by the way and sounds great after all these years! // 10

Sound: Like I said, I bought this over 3 years ago used, and have not once encountered any problems with it. The tone from this amp is absolutely great IMO. The clean is bright and clear, although the Reverb can be a little strong, keeping it at around 3-4, evens it out in the mix. The Gain on this is the best that I've ever heard on any SS combo ever and has 2 settings, one for Blues and Classic Rock, and the other for full blown Metal. Using the shape control allows for a wide range of tones, ranging from B.B. King to a Kirk Hammett type of sustain and drive. This amp also works with pedals very well. I'm currently using a Zoom G1N with it and the combination is just great! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Mine was made in September of 1997, thus making it almost 14 years old, and I've had it now for over 3 years without any problems at all. I've used it at many small gigs and for a 65 watt combo, this beast can get really loud. I've used it without a backup and never have to worry when I'm gigging with it. I also have a Crate GTD 120 and a Fender Frontman 65 and I have to say that this is my favorite out of all 3 of my amps. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Classic Rock & 80's Metal and this amp has the tone for what I play. It's the best 95 bucks I ever spent! I've been playing for over 36 years now and if something ever happened to this amp, I would be devastated. Of course I'm sure I could get another one through E-Bay but, there's just something about this particular model. // 10

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014