GX80 Review

8.9
 8.8
review (1) pictures (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
GX80 Reviewed by: jeffo46, on july 18, 2012

Features: I'm not quite sure of the year of manufacture of this model. I think it was made possibly in the early 1990's, but it is American made and has a 12" Celestion V-12 with the Crate logo on it. It is a 80 watt combo which has a carpeted exterior which I think is pretty cool. It's a 2 channel solid state combo with both clean and gain and has a line in and line out jacks on the front panel. It weighs in at a very hefty 34 lbs and is quite loud. // 9

Sound: Now this one has a panel on the front grille, saying that it is Celestion equipped, although I have discovered that later models were made with the typical stock Crate special designed 12" speaker. I'm assuming that this is probably from the 1st line that came out and IMO, sounds absolutely fantastic. The clean on this, has a bright switch which enables you to dial in that classic Fender tone, while the Reverb is the best that I have ever heard on any Crate SS Combo. The Gain, while not really enough to be used for say, Thrash Metal, is quite capable of handling Classic Rock, Blues, and even 80's Hair Metal providing you know how to arrange the EQ settings on the amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Crates are like Peaveys in that, they are built like tanks and have never broken down, in the years that I have used them. This one is no exception to the rule. I can see this one lasting a very long, long, time. It's solid as a rock and hasn't given me any problems whatsoever! // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for 40 years now and I have to say that this is the best Crate Solid State combo that I have ever played through. The sound on this, with the Celestion, is like a cross between a Fender and a Marshall Tube combo. If anything happened to this, I would see about getting another one, providing that it had the Celestion in it. Most used Crate combos can be gotten for next to nothing and this one is no exception. If you're on a low budget and want something that you can gig with, I suggest that you give one of these a shot. // 9

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014