GX900H Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 09/11/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: GX900H
It is a 90 Watt Solid-State head. The amp can be quite versatile. It has crystal clear cleans, can have a nice crunch, or full out disgusting (in a good way) distortion.
 8.7
 9.4
review (1) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
GX900H Reviewed by: Skylar W., on september 11, 2012

Purchased from: GuitarCenter.com

Features: The amp was likely made between the '80s or '90s, one of those two. Not 100% sure which one. And it is a 90 Watt Solid-State head. The amp is plenty versatile for what I play (death metal, and sometimes I use that "djent" sound - I hate that word!). It has two channels. Channel B which is your clean channel and has an independent reverb and volume along with your basic treble, mid, and bass controls. Then you got Channel A which is your distortion, also with its own reverb and level controls, and your bass, mid, treble controls. Channel A also has two different gain types. Gain 1 which is your more crunchy-overdrive type sound, then Gain 2 which is balls-to-the-wall distortion. I just use this amp at home and it has PLENTY of power. I usually only turn it up to 2 or 3 max. I just use it at home for recording and jamming and it does very well. // 10

Sound: I use a variety of different guitars with this amp. An Agile 9 string, a BC Rich Chuck Schuldiner Tribute tuned to D Standard, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with DiMarzio D Activator-X pups and a Duncan Blackout preamp tuned to Bb, and a Halo Custom Guitars "Spawn" tuned to E Standard. For more thrashy type stuff I use the "Spawn", for normal death metal type stuff in the vain of Death and Morbid Angel I use the BC Rich, for super distorted chunk with lots of bottom end or the "djenty" sounds I use the LP, and for pulverizing distortion or "djenty" stuff I also use the 9 String. NOTE: for the djent tones I use the Gain 1 channel with a low gain setting and boost the front end with a DOD Supra Distortion to tighten it up. The amp isn't all too noisy, not for me anyways. I can even have the Gain 2 gain all the way up to 10 with very little noise, unless the volume is turned way up. Although, I've noticed that the more reverb I use, the more noisy the amp gets. The amp can be quite versatile in my opinion. It has crystal clear cleans, can have a nice crunch, or full out disgusting (in a good way) distortion. I don't really use the Gain 1 setting by itself all too often though because it is pretty cold and dry sounding to my ears. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had it long enough to really comment on the reliability/durability of the head, but for bein' an older amp and bein' used and abused, it's holdin' up like a champ! // 5

Overall Impression: I generally play death metal in the vein of Mortician, Suffocation, Monstrosity, Devourment, etc. But I also delve into more technical/progressive styles of metal (Meshuggah-esque or Opeth type stuff) and sometimes even ambient styles. This amp can pull off all those tones. I own all the aforementioned guitars along with a POD HD300 and a POD Studio GX and I run the head through a B52 AT412 slant cab. If something were to happen to it I'd definitely buy another because they go for super cheap on the used market and I've grown to really like the thing. Overall, it pales in comparison to the old 5150s that I had owned, but for what it's worth, it is a fantastic amp and well worth the money. // 9

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014