RFX200S Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 06/06/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: RFX200S
The Crate RFX200S full-featured stereo, twin 12" speaker guitar combo amplifier features 3 channels, each with independent EQ.
 Reliability & Durability: 5.5
 6.3
 5.2
 7.3
reviews (2) pictures (2) 17 comments vote for this gear:
RFX200S Reviewed by: BillyCoffin, on march 03, 2010

Features: First off, I have never found a combo amp that sounds this good for this price. Two Celestion 100 watt speakers are housed in the cabbinet with an opened back end with plenty of room to store the foot pedal and chords. The foot pedal has four switches which change your presets. Preset one is clean, preset two is mild distortion, and preset three is heavy distortion. Each preset has its own set of tuning nobs up on top of the amp. Five knobs totall for each preset. High, Low, Mid, Gain, and Level. If you don't want to break out the foot pedal you can Switch the presets by hitting the corrisponding button on the amp. It has one imput and no headphone jack, but this thing is ment to be loud so why use headphones right? For effects it has Chorus, Phlange, Phaser (all of which have intensities 1-4)... It also has Octive, PhaseWah, and a regular Wah setting. Each preset can use one of these settings. In addition you can add a singles effect, Echo, Ping pong and a special effect that combines the previous (each of these have an intesity setting 1-4 except the special which is 1-3). Finally each preset can have its own setting for Reverb. As far as looks go Its black leather with all gold plating on all the knobs and plates. Tan leather handle and a black and tan/gold mesh front with the gorgeous Crate logo In gold plating as well. It also has wheels to make carting it around a hundred times easier. // 9

Sound: The sound is amazing. The Celestions kick and will bring the house down. The clean is smooth but will get distorted if you really crank it. The mild distortion is just that, Mild. I don't really play on this setting too much because I prefer either very clean or very distorted sounds for my styles of music. The third setting, Extreme Distortion, is Amazing. Crazy distortion that is never too out of control. I spend most of my time on this setting, Playing with reverb and phasers to get a very 80's thrash metal sound that really kicks. The sound you're getting for the price is unrivaled. I've played with this at many gigs, the largest being for about 200 hundred people and it had no problem roaring over the already blairing crowd. This will crank no problem on the distorted settings but I wouldn't expect the same quality in sound when aproaching the same levels on the clean setting. I usually play my Epiphone Explorer or my Vantage Avenger A-70 and they sound amazing on the amp. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp has served me well all over Rhode Island and Massachusettes. I have seriously thought about buying another just incase something happend to my first one. It's stood up to punk show beatings, Metal fueled mosh pits, kicks, spills, slams, drops, blood, and the occasional vomit spray. I've had this for about three years and I never expected it to last me this long. I've used this at my very first gig and I expect to be using this for a long time to come. // 10

Overall Impression: Over all I'd Give it an A. The Clean setting doesn't stay as clean as you would want it too once you bring it up to about half way, But thats a minor Qualm for myself being a primarily punk and metal based guitarist. It sounds great, has great sounding effects, reverb, its gorgeous, and reliable. I would highly recomend this amp to someone playing Most forms of rock on the heavier end of the spectrum, but because of the clean setting's drawback The lighter side might want too look elsewhere. It doesn't mean you have to avoid it like the plauge but for larger giging you can do better for clean. // 9

RFX200S Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 06, 2011

Features: MORE ISSUES! After first buying the amp in 9/08, amp died 4 months later, after 6 months of repair and back and forth with so called "Support" I finally had my amp working again effects wise, however, footswitch no longer worked since then, but at that point, I was all to happy to have an amp that made sound again. So here we are 1 1/2 years later, amp is dieing once more, volume cuts out every few mins to almost nothing, foot Switch still not working. And to top it off, the handle is in pieces held together with duct tape since Crate thought it amusing to put a cheap handle on an amp that weighs 80+ lbs. // 1

Sound: Sounds like a brick wall walks in front of the cabinet every few minutes bringing the volume to almost nothing. Again, this is not the first "sound related" problem with this amp. Amp went in for warranty repair 4 months after buying it new, then sat at repair shop for 6 months waiting for Crate to send working parts. Can't use the foot Switch to use all them fancy effects when playing live, kinda defeats the purpose of having a "gigging amp" when the amp is constantly in for repair and/or not fully functional // 1

Reliability & Durability: Where to even start here... 6+ months in repair 4 months after buying the amp NEW, now going in for MORE repairs a year later. Crate support is almost useless. Can't gig anywhere when you don't have an amp let alone an amp that works right, very UNRELIABLE by any standards. // 1

Overall Impression: Issues after issues after issues, then getting the runaround from Crate for 6 months while in for repairs, this is NOT worth it, Get an amp from a REPUTABLE manufacturer such as Vox, Marshall, Fender etc. AVOID Crate AMPS LIKE THE PLAGUE! I'm honestly disappointed in myself for not taking the refund they offered the first time, as I decided to give them one final chance (a chance they failed miserably at) after speaking with the supervisor at Loud Technologies. Will be demanding refund yet again for this one. // 1

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014