TD50C Review

8.7
 8.3
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
TD50C Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 05, 2010

Features: I know this amp was from the 1990's, not sure exactly when. It has two channels, one clean an one overdrive. It is advertised as a 50 watt amp, but it's split into the two Celestion 10" speakers, at 25w a piece. Also, it is advertised as a tube preamp, and ss post. It has a spring reverb, which is cool. // 7

Sound: I play through a hotrodded Yamaha RGZ621P-R most of the time, but also play a USA Fender Strat standard. I play alot of 70's and 80's rock, as well as blues. This amp has a great, clean sound. It has a good amount of low end, middle and highs. It can be a tad noisy however, with the chorus turned on, and turned up past halfway. I haven't turned the amp up past 7 on clean, thats plenty loud, so I dont know if it gets distorted or not. I use the overdrive channel sparingly, as its a bit too crunchy for me. I prefer to use a DigiTech Screamin' Blues pedal on the clean channel to get a more fuzzy sound. For death/metal players, it would be great, but thats not my thing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I bought this amp back in the late '90s, and it has been through hell. It is built like a tank, and looks as good as the day I got it. Sounds the same, too. I should probably replace the tube in it, they're like $15 on ebay, so maybe I'll do that soon. That would be the first bit of maintenance this has needed, besides a good wipedown here and there.. ;) // 10

Overall Impression: Again, I play older rock, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Van Halen, Motley Crue, Rush, SRV etc.., so this is really a good fit. I wish it had a bit mre power, maybe 50w per speaker, and some tone controls on the overdrive channel. But for the $100 I paid for it some 12-13 years ago, it has served me well. // 8

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014