TX15 Review

7.5
review (1) pictures (2) 10 comments vote for this gear:
TX15 Reviewed by: HATECREWofBODOM, on october 30, 2009

Purchased from: Mackie

Features: This is Crate's Taxi amp. It is the low end 15-watt model. It is completely battery powered and mine charges in the cigarette lighter in cars. It has a headphone jack(and CD input jacks), and two input channels (High and low). It's completely portable, so perfect for any band practice. This would be a great amp to just put in the trunk of your car for whenever. It's a basic amp, no effects. I wish it did so I wouldn't have to bring my FX pedal too. // 7

Sound: I was slightly disappointed the first time I turned it on because it was quite noisy. Seeing as I own the Crate XT120R and it doesn't give me static when I turn it on. The taxi has little to no distortion, although when you turn it up it gets a bit more distorted. It also doesn't help the distortion factor when I'm playing my Fender Squier with single coil pick-ups. If you're looking for a metal amp, or an amp with a variety: this is not your amp. However, if you're looking for an amp that you can take pretty much anywhere and is insanely convenient this is THE amp. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't use this in a gig because it's only 15-watts and battery powered, I'd much rather lug my 120-watt. Though, the taxi is extremely dependable. (I've dropped it before and it works great still) You just have to make sure it's fully charged. It has a metal cover on the front, which makes me a lot more comfortable when I'm carrying it because my other Crate has a cloth material on the front. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all types of rock and metal, and this amp would be better if it had distortion built in. I love thats it's so small, and portable, it also has a long battery life. But I hate that it's noisy and has such limited features. If it was lost or stolen I would try to get another one, just because it's so convenient! I compared this amp to the other Crate (XT120R) I own because they are made by the same company and given to me by the same warehouse. The amp itself isn't the best quality sound-wise, but it is perfect for what it's made to do. (Portability, and convenience) // 7

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014