VC50H Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 06/07/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: VC50H
This is an amp for musicians that love a "classic" tube sound, usually found on rock and blues albums. As an extremely popular studio amp, the VC50H delivers awesome groove tube growl at an unbelievable price.
 Features: 9.5
 8.5
 8.8
 8.2
reviews (2) pictures (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
VC50H Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 25, 2003

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: I play blues, classic rock, and British Invasion. I've used this amp as a head into a 2x12 cabinet, 2x10 cabinet, and I've built it into a 2x10 combo and a 1x12 combo. I'm happiest with this final version. Two channels, channel one is basic Fender clean, three knobs: volume, bass and treble, plus reverb. Channel two has gain, bass, mid, treble,and volume plus reverb (i.e. one reverb tank, bt separate knobs for each channel). Channel switching is either front panel or footswitch (which has a red led on it so you don't have to turn around to see which channel is active). Effects loop is front panel, single socket so you need a y-split type cable. Two speaker outs on back, with a selector for 8 ohm or 16 ohm. All tube. 4-12ax7 preamp side, 4-el84 power side. I've swapped the 12ax's out for 12at's, which lowers the overall volume (originally rated 50 watts) but gives the "dirty" channel a slower approach into distortion. // 10

Sound: The tone control available in the clean channel (my favorite) allows you to dial up sounds from 50's tweed to Vox AC15 to Deluxe Reverb. Very articulate, and pick sensitive distortion at higher volumes. Reverb depth lacks a bit, but IMHO Fender reverb goes into useless wash above their "3" setting. The dirty channel never gets quite raspy enough for metal, but it does extemely well for blues and classic rock. As with some other amps, the dirty channel seems to loose it's low frequency clarity. I use a Strat, a Tele and an Epiphone Dot. All three work nicely with this amp, but each requires some fiddling around with the tone knobs to accomodate each guitar's strengths or weaknesses. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I gig with this amp, I travel with it, I let Kevin Johnson nearly blow the darn thing up (dimed the dirty channel at an open mike thing up in DC) and it keeps coming back for more. The knobs need to be protected, as they are the type that are mounted directly to the circuit board. I bashed up the reverb knob, and luckily only destroyed the ground side of the pot. A short jumper wire to the amp chassis and I was back in business. It tends to be a very hot running amp, no doubt due to the 8 tubes. I would strongly recommend adding a fan (as I did after a nearly burned my finger at a gig just turning a tone knob!!). It comes in a very small cabinet, so it's easy to transport, and can even be used on top of a 1x12 extension cabinet. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I'd recommend this amp to anyone except drop-D heavy types. not enough guts for that, but blues, country, jazz, rock, heck yeah. By messing around with the tube arrangements and types of tubes, it can be significantly tailored to a person's taste. It's on a par with a Peavey Classic 50 and or Classic 30. I'm dying to try out one of Crate's new Vintage Club combo amps. // 8

VC50H Reviewed by: pro0119, on june 07, 2012

Features: I don't know what year it was made in but this amp is beautiful. This amp is very versatile and I can play anything but death metal. This amp is very loud and I have gigged 4 times with it. This is my first tube amp. This amp has only the the basic features. It has two channels and the clean only has a volume, treble, and bass knob and the distortion channel has gain, treble, mid, bass, and level. This amp also has reverb for both channels. // 9

Sound: I use a Jackson JS20FM. I play a bit of everything but mainly stuff like green day and this amp suits my playing style just fine. The only playing style this amp can't do is death metal. I use a Crate 2x12 cab to go with the head. For 50 watts this thing is loud. The cleans are mellow and full and the distortion is just great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is tough as hell and the metal corners also protect it... Nuff said. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this amp is the best. But I am only 16 and I have only played 4 other amps in my life and they were all solid state so I don't have that much of a comparison but I love this amp. If this amp was stolen I would find out where the guy lives and kill his kids in front of him and then torture him with an ice pick and a soldering iron and then take my amp back and then burn his house down. // 8

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014