VTX212B Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 08/05/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: VTX212B
VTX212B's three-channel operation offers stunning tonal flexibility. The Clean channel features a low-gain FlexWave Evolution 5 preamp, providing sparkling clean tones. The medium-gain FlexWave circuit in the Rhythm channel adds just a little distortion and crunch.
 Features: 9.3
 7.1
 8.6
 5.6
reviews (3) 16 comments vote for this gear:
VTX212B Reviewed by: jblittlefield, on august 06, 2008

Purchased from: American Musical Supply

Features: The VTX212B features full 3-channel operation with independent gain level and tone shaping circuits for each channel. The DSP section has 15 Multi effects including chorus, flange, phase shift, vibrato, octave down, touch-wah, and reverse wah. Each of these can be set for depth plus the Tap button on the front controls speed. The VTX212B also has 15 Delays with adjustments for single delay with 4 levels Echo delay with 4 levels Tape delay with 4 levels and echo/effects combo with 3 levels. Each of these effects can be set with the Tap button for speed as well. A separate reverb control is also included. Front panel RCA CD Input jacks allow you to play along with your favorite CD or tape. The rear panel Insert Jack allows you to connect your own effects for greater flexibility. Channel switching and DSP may be controlled by means of a footswitch (included) which also allows access to two DSP presets on each of the three channels. There's also a top-mounted electronic tuner that is active any time the amplifier is on. You may change the DSP settings by rotating the DSP controls, these changes will remain active until a different channel is selected but will not be there for later use unless they are saved. To save a new DSP preset to a channel first make the desired DSP changes. Then press and hold the save/tap button for about three seconds. The save/tap LED will flash through three quick sequences indicating the preset was saved. The new preset is stored for that channel and will remain in memory until a new preset is stored for that channel or the factory presets are restored. The Crate 3-button footswitch allows access to an additional DSP preset for each channel of the amplifier. When the footswitch is connected to the amplifier as shown below the "original" DSP presets are active for each channel when the #3 footswitch LED is illuminated. These are referred to as "DSP Bank A'." When the #3 button is switched and the LED is out a second DSP preset may be stored and recalled for each channel, "DSP Bank B'." // 10

Sound: I currently run a Jim Root Signature Telecaster (with EMG 61/80 pups), an Ibanez AFS75 hollowbody (with stock pups), and a highly modified Squier Affinity Strat (with Seymour Duncan Hot Rails and a JB4 HB - all coil-tapped) through a pedal board consisting of an ISP Decimator, MXR SuperComp, Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff With Top Boost, DigiTech Grunge, MXR Carbon Copy Delay, Boss CH-1 Super Chorus, and a BBE Sonic Stomp. I also run a second Decimator and a Boss GE-7 EQ through the FX loop. Slight hum that increases with gain increase, but easily controlled with the Decimators. Clean channel is amazing, one of the best I've ever heard. Both the crunch and lead channels require a bit of tweaking to get the sounds you want, but I mainly keep it clean and use my pedals for different sounds. I play classic rock, blues, alternative rock, and a bit of numetal. This amp handles 'em all. As for being loud? The windows in the garage shake on "3." // 10

Reliability & Durability: This was a factory-sealed second (normal retail is around $450) which I thoroughly inspected and found no issues. Tolex covered, metal corner protectors, four wheeled casters included, recessed rear-mounted control panel. Seems quite sturdy to me. In the past six months I've had no issues as far as reliability and durability are concerned. // 10

Overall Impression: One of the best solid-state amps I've ever owned. I prefer it over my Vox AD100VT 2x12 and my Kustom Quad 100. The only solid-state amps I've played that is better (IMHO) is the JC-120. If it were lost/stolen, I'd definitely replace it without batting an eye! In fact, I just picked up a second one to leave at the rehearsal space. // 10

VTX212B Reviewed by: Hunter2081, on august 05, 2011

Price paid: € 129

Purchased from: Pro Musica Ireland

Features: I'm not sure when this amplifier was made if I'm honest. This is a very versitile amplifier, 120 watts, 2x12 Crate designed speakers. It has many effects, although not all are usuable in my opinion. I wish it had a looper, though to be honest that would be asking much of an amp, as you expect that as a pedal really. I use this amp at home, at practise, and gigging, it's more then loud enough for any occasion, and is not dull sounding at all at lower volumes. // 8

Sound: I use this guitar with many different types of guitars (Strats, Telecaster, Melody Maker, Les Paul), and overall it delivers the sounds I want. I play everything under the sun, though as a gigging artist I rely on this for pop-punk, punk, rock, and accoustic guitar sounds. It does nearly everything perfectly. The clean channel is by far the best part of this amp, although the mid-gain crunch is very sonicaly enjoyable. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp was sold to me slightly damaged, that's why I recieved it for so cheap (even though I am the first owner). Because of this, channel switching could only be done using the footswitch. Apart from this, this amp has never let me down, and with my past experience with crate, I reckon it won't let me down any time soon. One thing to take note of is that this amp weighs a tonne (I say this as a strong person who goes to the gym very regulary). // 9

Overall Impression: I play everything. This amp shines at metal, punk, classic rock, and anything clean (yup, that's alot of things). I've been playing 4 and a half years, to the point where I outplay many more experienced guitarists. If this amp was stolen, I'll be honest and say that I'd replace it with a Fender Blues Junior 2x12, but that being said, this amp has made me happy since the day I bought it, 6 months ago. I don't hate much about it to be honest, and I find the built in tuner handy for on the fly tuning mid-gig. This is probably one of the best solid state amps that you can play, in my opinion at least. // 9

VTX212B Reviewed by: sugapablo, on july 29, 2008

Purchased from: American Musical Supply

Features: I play rock/blues/jam and this amp seems to be able to handle anything I want. It has 3 channels (clean/rhythm/solo), three button footswitch, no headphone jack, DSP effects that include flanger, phaser, chorus, reverb, vibrato, octave, auto-wah, reverse wah, and delay. Two bank memory save on effects and settings. Two 12" speakers. Size and Weight: 21" H x 27-1/2" W x 11 1/4" D 50 lbs. 120W. Built in tuner. // 10

Sound: I use this amp with my MIM Fender Stratocaster. The clean channel is fantastic. The solo channel can dish some serious gained distortion, and the rhythm channel is tricky to get a good "not too distorted" crunchiness, but after playing around with it, I got some nice sound. Bottom line, with so much going on, to get the sound you want, you gotta play with it, but once you get the hang of it, the sound is damned good. I'm rating this "6" in comparison with some high end amps from the likes of Fender or Marshall that just sound amazing with much less effort. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I haven't owned this amp long enough or beaten it up enough to give an educated opinion. I give it a "5" meaning "untested". // 5

Overall Impression: I know Crates get bashed, but owning this amp, I can't tell why. Sure, it has so much stuff going on that it might take some time to get the tone and sound you want, but it's there if you play around with it. And bottom line, for the money, it's awesome! "8" might seem high for an amp of this price, but I'm basing it on value of the amp versus the price paid. // 8

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014