VTX30B Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 12/22/2007 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: VTX30B
The NEW VTX30B is a great sounding analog combo with total control over the DSP section and vintage styling. Also, the VTX30B features our exclusive chromatic tuner. This amp was designed for the player who is into the vibe and styling of the V-Series, but wants up to a three channel analog amp with "tweakable" digital effects and the ability to program up to four effects in two channels.
 Features: 9.5
 9.2
 9.8
 8.5
reviews (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
VTX30B Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 25, 2006

Features: I don't have a clue what year this amp was made in. Although, this amplifier is very versatile for what I play. I enjoy metal, hard rock, and stuff like that and that little "shape" knob lets me do it all! It has 3 channels, solo, DSP, and clean. It also has a headphone and CD input jack. It's a solid state amplifier and it is 30 Watts. I use this amplifier in my bedroom and I get more than enough volume and that's how I like it! // 9

Sound: I use this amp through a Dean Vendetta 1.0L with the stock Seymour Duncan pickups. It suits my music style well. I can play anything from my brutal tech death to the awesomeness of the blues. It gets very loud very quick. I haven't put it up the whole way because on the setting "5" my floor starts to shake and my mom starts yelling. Meh. I play in a small box room so that sort of explains the shaking. This amp can make a variety of sounds with it's 16 DSP settings (4 reverb, doubler, I wah, T wah, octave, rotary, chorus 1, chorus 2, flanger 1, flanger 2, and 3 delay). The clean channel remains clean all the way up the volume knob. The distortion isn't as brutal as possible but it gets the job done unless you want to slaughter your guitar Slipknot style. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can really depend on this amp. I've jammed with it a few times and it was awesome. I wouldn't use it in a gig without a backup because that's just a bad idea to do. The amp has never broken yet. The only problem I have had was the headphone jack. It turned out my headphones were broken. // 10

Overall Impression: I play many styles of music and this amp is a good match. I've been playing almost 4 years and have had Wal-Mart gear the first three. I still own the two First Act guitars and this amp does a lot to make them sound better. I also own a DigiTech Death Metal Distortion but I can't seem to get it to work through this amp. I don't know why though. I wish I would have asked if this amp is capable of having a footpedal. Footpedals are handy to have. If this amp was stolen or lost I would not buy it again. I would probably go up to the guitar center and pick myself out a Carvin Legacy or a Mesa Boogie Recto. I love how it has the nice DSP panel. I don't have to buy 60 different pedals to fit my needs. The only thing I don't like is the Wah. I can't control when I want the wah to come out. I hate how I can't plug in normal headphones. I have to use those monsterous ones. I chose this because my budget was small and it sounded nice in the store. I wish it had another channel like it's brother, the VTX65. // 9

VTX30B Reviewed by: metal jello, on december 22, 2007

Features: I actully own the VTX65, which is the exact same thing only with more wattage. This amp does everything. It's a workhorse! It has three great channels, clean, very natural, not too distorted but still delivers tube warmth. Rhythm, good for classic rock tones, very dirty and can even be clean when you want it to. Solo, belts out the no-nonsense bone crushing distortion that can rip your face off. Clean, low, mid, high, level. Rhythm, gain, low mid, high. Solo, gain, shape (mid contour), and level (it shares EQ with the rhythm channel). It comes with a footswitch that allows you to activate a special extra channel for each individual gain channel for effects. It has an extension cab out jack, but doesn't have a headphone jack. I wish it had an effects loop, but it's still amazing. My favorite thing about this amp is it has a built-in tuner! How cool is that? No more stupid pedals to deal with, just look at your amp and tune. Also, it is solid state, and doesn't need any tube maintenance. The effects include chorus, flanger, wah, reverse wah, octave, tremolo, phase, a bunch of different delay effects, and reverb. Very versatile! // 10

Sound: I play this with a Gibson Explorer. This amp can kill small animals and children, literally. I play thrashy metal stuff (especially Metallica) and this thing delivers the no-nonsense full-on assualt of a battery of sonic missiles from hell. Yeah. This amp can do anything, blues, country, folk, and even jazz. This amp is the most sonically versatile amp I've ever used. The clean channel is slightly distorted at high volumes, but it sounds good, kinda like a warm tube amp. The distortion, oh where do I begin? Have you ever wanted the most revolting and flat out scary distortion ever? Well, here it is. The distortion can be adjusted to anything, but at max gain. You'd better watch out! This amp can give you nightmares. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing can take all the abuses of the road for many years and still be tough enough to be begging for more. This thing is built like a tank. I could depend on this amp and not need backup. That's right. No backup. The only thing is, the outer kind of rubbery feeling outside scratches a little, but that adds character. My amp has never had any problems. I admit, I'm not that careful with my amp, but my amp is still fighting back. Reliable. Durable. Perfect. // 10

Overall Impression: I play multiple styles of music. This amp can handle anything you dish out. I ply this with a Gibson Explorer and I typically use the solo channel. I use the extra hot bridge pickup, and sometimes, I get some feedback, so I kinda want a noise suppressor. I love the solo channel and the built in tuner. There is nothing about this amp that I don't like. It's perfect. Very few amps can compare with this monster. If it were stolen, I would hunt that person down and kill them so inhumanly that I will have warrants for my arrest in every country. // 10

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014