XT120R Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 11/06/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: XT120R
It has 120 steaming watts to drive 2-12" speakers. The FlexWave Evolution 5 preamp gives it a great singing voice. True 3-channel operation with reverb lets you switch among multiple setups. Includes a 3-button footswitch for channel, gain, and reverb switching on the fly.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.1
 Features: 7.9
 8.7
 7.3
reviews (7) 13 comments vote for this gear:
XT120R Reviewed by: Scorpions, on december 24, 2004

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: This amp is more than I'd ever need for just playing at home. It was a new amp so I'm guessing that it was made in 2004. I like to play classic rock, some new alternative rock and some others and this amp is good for it. It has 3 channels and comes with a footswitch to choose your channels. It doesnt have effects or a headphone jack. But its features are good, the only thing anyone could possibly need with this amp would be effects, but I'm looking at buying a pedal for that. You can hook this baby up to external speakers and shatter your windows if you want if they're not already shattered. // 8

Sound: I'm playin this through my Squier Strat. It's all good though since I can play pretty much anything I want through it. One clean channel, one rhythm channel and a solo channel give this combo lots of different sounds, all at the tips of your toes. Though the rhythm and solo channels are pretty much good for distortion, it's allright. The clean channel is clean at any volume and the distortion on the other channels is great. I was gonna buy a distortion pedal but then this thing changed my mind. The reverb on this combo is great too and makes some pretty interesting cool sounds. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's durable probably. I've never taken this bad boy anywhere. It's not made out of steel but it would probably hold up. I would use it without backup. Not broken down yet. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a good match for anyone playing any style of rock. I've been playing for like 6 or 7 months now. I have a little Fender Frontman 15G amp. The XT120R kicks its ass. If it was stolen or lost it will never be. I love this thing. Its loud as you want if you're in your house, and would rock a gig easily. The reverb and solo channels are the sweetest thing in the package. // 10

XT120R Reviewed by: ReBoRnBaND4, on may 17, 2006

Features: This amp is the new generation amp. It is probably one of the better sounding amps of today, and its at an affordable price. It has 3 different channels (solo, overdrive, clean) and reverb. It comes with a footswitch to Switch between the channels. You can also run connect your CD player to it to jam with your favorite tracks. // 8

Sound: With this amp I use my Epi Limited Edition Les Paul with EMG 81 pickups. With me if I have the gain to high it gets feed back, but that happens with all amps. It totally works with my type of music which is anything in the rock category. The distortion is great on it, but the clean tone is alrite not the best but its pretty good. There're 3 channels: solo which is heavy distortion and sticks your notes out there; overdrive which is like a rhythm distortion where it's not to loud and noticable but is very handy; and clean which is pretty much obvious, and the clean channel doesn't really get distorted until after u get to about 9 or 10 but it's not very bad though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp right here is probably one of the most durable of its kind. I have dropped this amp and hit against things and it works "perfectly". The amp for me has never broken, and I have never used a back up for it, and probably never will. The only thing that has happened to me is that my footswitch lights get messed up but they still work. // 8

Overall Impression: This amp is deffinatly one of the best today for the price and sound. If you are a musician just starting out or one that needs a good reliable inexspensive amp, this is it right here. The only thing I wish it had was Headphone jacks. The great thing about this amp also is I believe there is a 4 or 5 year warranty on it from Crate. If it were stolen from me I'd look for it and if I couldn't find it I would go buy a new one because they aren't that much money compared to a Marshall or Vox. // 9

XT120R Reviewed by: SenorBill, on june 13, 2006

Features: This amp has quite a few features but as far as the effects go, there could be a couple more. The three channels all sound great and you can switch between all three pretty easily with the footswitch. The reverb sounds great too, but thats the only effect that comes with the amp. The power in this amp is pretty crazy on the solo and rhythm channels, usually I keep them at volume three so they dont blow the house down. The clean channel is pretty quiet compared to the other two however. The only thing that really bothered me was the one plug for both send and return for any external effects you might have. That means you have to buy a y-splitter, not that much extra money, just a pain to mess around with. // 8

Sound: I'm only using my crappy Squier Strat on this amp, but the tone on the clean channel definitely sounds better than some other amps I played on at guitar center. The rhythm channel I honestly don't use that much, just because I mostly play metal and the distortion isn't that great. But the solo channel is a different story. You can shape the distortion towards midrange frequencies or towards the traditional amped up low and high frequencies as is used in metal pretty often. I am so happy with the distortion on the amp that I stopped using my Boss Metal Zone altogether, which I used to think had brutal distortion. The hum and stuff on the amp is also very quiet even on the solo channel. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would use this at a gig without a backup. It's very reliable, and the footswitch is solid too. I don't think this amp is going to start falling apart anytime soon. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is perfect for metal and hard rock, but the clean channel sounds good enough to use it for pretty much any style of music. The best part of this amp is probably the distortion, I was very pleased with it. I had a Behringer V-Tone amp the exact same size with a lot more features but in comparison none of the channels on that amp sounded nearly as good as my Crate. Plus the excess noise on this Crate is as low as you could ask for. I would buy this amp again if it were stolen or lost, because for the price you can't ask for much more. Well, except for more effects, but that's nothing a couple pedals can't take care of. This is a great amp altogether, and its got enough power to play gigs or just practice, whatever youre into. Either way, it sounds great and I love it. // 9

XT120R Reviewed by: metal_skill, on october 02, 2006

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: I got a little lucky on this one. I went to guitar center looking for an amp that would be good enough to gig with but wouldn't be too expensive. Well I found this amp for $340. I played it for a little while and decided it was good for me at the time. It give you sounds from metal to rock to whatever. It's one of those amps that's good for all styles but it's not ideal for any style. Well I was gonna pay the $340 for it but I go up the register and the guy rings it in and he gets this look on his face. After a few minutes he calls over his manager. Turns out he rang me up for the employee price. they couldnt get it off there and I payed $270 instead. Anyhow, one thing that I do wish this amp had was a few effects. The only thing it has is reverb, which I am not a big fan of, and I keep that up just enough to keep the sound from being too empty. I play mostly metal which this amp is good at, but now I'm saving up for a 5150. It's got 3 channels: solo, rythm, and clean. The solo is has a higher sound which is good for lead and such. My favorite is the rythm cause it has a stronger, deeper sound that is better for metal. It has a pedal that switches between the three channels. This amp has 120 watts of solid state power so it can get pretty loud. Loud enough for most gigs. Comes with 2x12" speakers so has good sound. // 8

Sound: My guitar is a Schecter C-1 Blackjack that has a Seymour Duncan Jb in the bridge and a '59 in the neck. This amp can get a good heavey sound that is good for metal but it is not ideal. The amps sound is actaully pretty good but once you turn it up pretty loud the clarity of the sound starts to decline some. The clean is not great but it will suffice for whatever you want to do. Like I said, this amp can work for almost any type of music which makes it good for a beginner guitarist. I know someone Who owns this amp and playes alternative music and it is good for that too. I the distortion is good, but, as I have said before, not ideal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: One thing that this amp is awesome at is that it is durable. I've had mine for over a year and it has never not worked. I am pretty rough on my equipment and me and my friends have beaten it up a good amount. it has some cosmetic damage to it, but nothing I have done has influenced the sound of it. One thing that I was disappointed with is the footpedal. The construction of it was not very great. The nuts on the outputs of the channels are plastic and one of them always comes loose. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing for a couple of years now. I am not super experienced in equipment or anything, but I do know enought that if you need a loud amp, this one isn't a bad deal. If it were stolen or lost, I honestly wouldn't buy another one only because I am more concerned about my tone now and I am going to get a 5150. One thing I wish I would have done would to have shopped around more, not because this is a bad amp, but I might have found an amp that was better that was more expensive. // 8

XT120R Reviewed by: shhaannt, on august 21, 2007

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: This amp was, I think made 2003, and it's been discontinued. This amp is awesome for metal, has a lot of muddy sounding crunch, it also has a nice low-ending sound to it (well since it's a stereo amp, 2 speakers). The clean is magnificent, the spring reverb also adds a nice touch to the overall sound of it. It has three channels: solo, rhythm, and clean. The solo is what I usually play on (this is the crunchy sound), rhythm is a kind of low gain sounding channel that I use in a blusey way, and the clean is, well ya the clean channel, it's very nice sounding. It also comes with a footswitch chanel switcher. I use this amp as a practice amp once in a while, but I usually use my Fender Princton for practie, I usually use this amp for shows, band practice, etc. // 8

Sound: A Gibson SG Faded w/ stock pick-ups, this does suit a shreder's dreams (though I want to buy a Jackson JS30WR Warrior just for something easier to shred on). If you don't have a noise gate, then you're screwed, because when you turn it up on the Solo channel and you don't you could hear a kind of fan like sound, but it's something I got used to (eventually using my DigiTech RP80 as a pedal which has a noise gate). This amp has a knob called "Shape" which can make the Solo channel sound from recitified to a hot rod. This Dist is as brutal as it gets! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think anyone can depend on this amp for a gig, or even a big show; but I personally always bring back-ups to gigs. This amp has never broken down (through the two year that I've had it, with 2 gigs, hundreds of band practices, and countless hours of home practice). // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything from: Necrophagist, to Muse, to Opeth, this amp is incredible when it comes with metal sounds, and the clean sounds. I've been playing for about 4 years now and I also have a Fender Princeton 65, a DigiTech GNX4, Gibson SG faded, and a DigiTech RP80. This amp is all I asked for and a little more: a dependable, versitale, and great sounding piece of musical equiptment. I was about to buy the Marshall MG250DFX, and I played that at guitar center, and I am so glad I got this instead. // 9

XT120R Reviewed by: RCA1186, on october 02, 2007

Features: This amp was made in '05, it's got 3 channels and no effects except for the spring reverb. I never seem to use the rhythem channel though it just doesn't sound that good. I use this both as my practice amp and for shows, it has enough power for shows with 120W and two 12" speakers. It has an insert jack, Audio inputs for a CD player or IPOD and it came with a footswitch for all the channels and the reverb. // 7

Sound: I'm using a variety of guitars with this amp, but all of them have either EMG 81's or HZ's. The Solo channel sounds great for what I play which is mostly thrash metal. The Rhythem channel on the otherhand just seems to have puney distortion in contrast to the solo channel. I only use the rhythem channel when I want more of a "classic rock" sound. The clean sounds great in fact it's the one thing I love on this amp it doesn't get distorted when you turn it up. The reverb also sounds awesome. This amp is VERY noisy once you get up to volume 4 or 5. You don't need to turn it up that high for it to get loud thogh. It makes a very high pitched squeal unless you stand at least 15 feet away at higher volumes. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This amp IS reliable. I've thrown it around and gigged it without a back up and I've never had any problems with it in two years of regular abuse. The exterior finish is durable and stays clean. I've left this amp in my car in Chicago winter and it's just fine. // 9

Overall Impression: I wish I had gotten the Crate RFX 120R instead because of the built in effects. The solo channel sounds good for metal but I like the distortion on my friends Line 6 spider 2 WAY better. If it were lost or stolen I wouldn't get it again I'd probably save up for a Krankenstein or at least something with tubes. // 6

XT120R Reviewed by: Thugjitsu, on november 06, 2008

Features: This amp was made for any situation you put it in. I have it in my room as my practice amp. I have played it at shows with and without PA's. it's got the power to handle anything you throw at it. I wouldn't suggest you throw things at it literally though. I think the amp is mono. I love the RCA inputs it's got on the front. I wish that I could play my guitar with distortion without The Music getting distorted though. I guess that's why it's mono and not stereo. The 1st channel has got crisp and clean tone. Good for ska. Also good for ska is the second channel. I really don't use the second channel though, because it's no longer available to me for some odd reason. I really love the third channel so it makes up for the loss of the second. The third channel is why I looked at Crate for my first amp. The tone I get out of it pleases me about almost every time I go to plug in. The reverb is a real plus. I love having the extention cab but for some reason after I plugged it in. It wont play with out the cab. I think this amp was made in 2004 which makes it 4 years old now. // 8

Sound: Since I heard my first Crate I knew I had to get one. I play with a Jackson with EMG's so high gain is a must for me, but even with the gain turned down this thing sounds amazing. I don't really get to use the second channel but it had a decent tone before it stopped working. I liked it for the most part. But if you're a metal player like me the third channel is where you're gonna call home. I like the tone from the clean side of things. If you add a little reverb to any of these channels you wont be let down. As far as flexablity goes the sky is the limit with this amp. Although I noticed that at the higher volumes things can break up a bit. If you're standing next to the amp or next to any electrical appliance you will get some noise but as far as hissing and RFI(Radio Frequency Interferance), I haven't had any. The brutality of this amp is as brutal as a solid state can get. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have had this amp for a few years now, and I can't be happier even with the little bumps and bruises it has both vanity and tech. The thing has yet to fail me. I kept it a garage that would flood constantly, In a closet, In a cold garage, In a Jam Room, In a closet, I even had to pawn it to pay of tickets. I got it back and it still worked fine. That's not even mentioning the shows and flights of stairs it's traveled to. I'm not rich so I can't afford a backup amp, but as far as I'm concerned as long as I got this one, I won't need one. // 9

Overall Impression: I played the older version of this one before getting it and both of em are both good amps. I didn't even pay for this one I traded mine for it.(My friend had this one and I hooked it up to my cab and I got stuck with this one cause it stopped working without the cab so we traded) It was great a great trade though. His was a little louder, the second channel worked but there wasn't a mid frequency know, well it had one but it wasn't a traditional mid knob. It was labled as shape and controlled both distortion channels. He likes to play on the second channel, and I liked to play on the third channel(mine is stuck on it) and mine has the mid and the shape knob. So I was very pleased with the trade. I play mostly metal stuff so the third channel is where I mainly stay, and I can't get enough of it. I've been playing for about six years now, and play my Jackson with this amp NOFX. If I had bought this amp I would have got the warranty with it. But it still works fine so I can't complain. If there was a separate EQ section for the the high gain channel it would really be a steal for it's price. But I guess that's why It's only $280. If I got this one fixed and working on it's own. I wouldn't tell my friend I love this amp. It's mine forever now. I love this amp and wouldn't give anyone a chance to steal it much less let it get lost. I don't like that the thing won't play without a cab, but hey that's why I now own it. Comparing this one to my old one It's a tough call but I say this one has got it beat but not by much. // 9

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014