XT65R Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 04/21/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: XT65R
It's not as over-the-top as the XT120R but still quite lethal. A 12" speaker is driven by 65W. Three-channel operation, FlexWave Evolution 5 preamp, and reverb. Includes a 3-button footswitch for gain, channel, and reverb switching on the fly. RCA inputs let you plug in a player and jam with your favorite CDs.
 7.6
 7.5
 7.7
reviews (3) 4 comments vote for this gear:
XT65R Reviewed by: coolluke0505, on february 02, 2006

Features: This amp. has many great features to it. It has three different channels on it which are clean, solo and rhythm. It also comes with a foot switch (only if you buy the package) so you can switch through your channels with a stomp on a switch. The three different modes have different features on them. For example, the clean mode has a reverb. On the rhythm and solo modes they have level for volume and gain for distortion. // 10

Sound: I think that this amp. Could be used for all different types of music because you have so many knobs to turn so you get the sound you want. Plus, you have three channels. It is a 65 watt amp. And it can get pretty loud (depending on how loud you make it). On the clean channel (mode), there is a reverb that if you turn it up pretty high, it will sound like your playing in a stadium. If you are playing on rythm mode (with whatever sound you make of it) you can stomp (if you have the foot switch) onto the solo channel and give your rythm a boost. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would say this amp. will last a long time. I think that it is very durable and if you are in a little gig or sometimes medium, then you won't need a backup amp or anything like that. For me the amp hasn't broken down for me or malfunctioned at all. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this amp and I think it is for any kind of music because there are three channels which is really helpful to most people (I think). I didn't expect for it to be so succesful for me. But that's just me, your gonna have to go get it and see if you agree with me. But I would reccomend this amp to anyone who is starting to get gigs. // 10

XT65R Reviewed by: Heaviest Thing, on november 07, 2005

Features: This amplifier was built in 2004. The amp is deffinitely an amp for ditortion. It has an ok sounding clean but can get very buzzy. It really gets alot louder and stops buzzing after the distortion/overdrive is turned on. But as I said, it isn't built for clean very well and that can be a pain when I need clean. But It has three channels. Clean, rhythm, and solo as the amp says on it. The clean as I said is buzzy. But the rhythm I have a lot of fun with. It is like a less heavy distortion best for stuff like Led Zeppelin, Chuck Barry, and other blues rock. Although this channel is really quite good at these forms of music I like to play Queens Of The Stone Age on this channel for the sloppy not to heavy distortion. Last but not least is Solo which is heavy distortion bad boy channel. This is great for Black Sabbath, Metallica, Zakk Wylde stuff. Very sludgey, heavy distortion that I like to play but still find it hard to use because it is very low end distortion. But it fits sometimes. I think this has good versetilaty but don't buy this amp for the clean channel. I do also need to mention this amp comes with a foot switch selector. This also has reverd but I dont use it often so I couldn't tell you if it was good. // 7

Sound: This amp as I said is a distortion amplifier with somewhat versetallity. But I don't buy an amp for versatillity, I but it for what I need it for. This is got for because it had good matches with distortion sound with the people I play. Led Zeppelin, Queens Of The Ston Age, Black Sabbath, Nirvana, Scorpions, Audioslave, and many others but I would take a day to write it all. As you can see it is quite versatile yet I wasn't thinking of it when I got it. It is just good for what I played. // 6

Reliability & Durability: You can depend on this amp. It is really quite good at its durability but the spring for the spring reverd came off because it was knocked a round to much. But as I said I don't use it often so I don't mind that. But I would use this in any situation without a backup because it's an amp you dont normally need a backup unless a sercatry problem. But I stick to what I said its a strong amp. // 6

Overall Impression: I love this thing palin and simple. I will use this for a long time and hopefully past that. I have said what I need to about this amp. People think Crate's suck but that's just a narrow minded opinuin of a few people that spread to fast to others. Atleast try this amp or another Crate amp before you say something. // 7

XT65R Reviewed by: jeffo46, on april 21, 2008

Features: I had bought this brand new, in November of 2006 at Guitar Center for the price of $199.99. At the time, Crate had just discontinued it, so there fore the low price. Plus GC gave me a free Epiphone LP Jr in Sunburst finish just for buying it. It has 2 channels, clean and overdrive, which has 2 different types of distortion as most Crate amps do. It also came with a 3 button footswitch and the instuction manual. // 7

Sound: For the past 6 years, I have played nothing but Fender Strats, and at the time, I had this amp, I was using it at home for practice purposes. To me the Clean channel sounded great, while the distortion took some getting used to as far as adjusting it and getting a proper tone. I thought this would be good enough for small gigs, until I was asked one night to sit in for a friend with his band. I ended up having to mike this amp because unlike the GX-65 which I now own, this amp doesn't have any puch for a live setting. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Crate amps are built like tanks, but this one isn't American made, and it shows. This amp would need to be miked if you're using it for a club gig or anywhere else. The tone wasn't bad, in fact it was pretty good, but what made me get rid of it was the fact that I could not hear myself in a band situation. You would figure 65 watts, more than enough right? I don't know if I was sold a defective model or not, but after 3 weeks, I was left with no choice but to return it to Guitar Center and get a used Fender Princeton 65 which sounded great until it dies out on me 6 months later. I guess I have bad luck when it comes to amps. // 6

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, '80s hair metal and a little blues. This amp is adept for any style of music, but like I mentioned earlier, just doesn't cut it in a live setting. This would make a good practice/recording amp though. I am still using Crate, but now I have a 1997 USA made, GX-65 which blows this model away, along with my ever so trusty 2006 Fender MIM Sunburst Strat, and my recently acquired, Danelectro Fab Flange pedal. I was really upset when I had to return this because I thought that this would be great with a band situation. Live and learn, I guess. // 7

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BV120H 8.1 Guitar Amplifiers 06/24/2013