DM10 Review

manufacturer: Danelectro date: 02/18/2014 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Danelectro: DM10
It sounds like a great vintage amp, but it does buzz and I have yet to solve that. This amp is obviously great for delta blues, classic rock, or even country.
 7.9
 7.8
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
DM10 Reviewed by: andybene, on february 18, 2014

Features: Here is a review for a very rare amp that I just had to do. I believe it was built between 1964-1969 max. It is a vintage tube amp. They are very popular nowadays and are showing a renaissance. I was able to get one and fix it up. It looks great now. I doubted that it was in production after 1969 because of it's circuitry and the lack of a Master Vol. It's case is made out of a mixture of particle board and hemlock?, and the speaker backboard is a thick cardboard. The original speaker is a 6.5" Alnico fisher I believe. As for effects, it has a cool vibrato, a tone knob and just a Vol. All electronics are tube driven and the tubes in order are 2-12AX7, 1-6v6, and 1-6x4. Very similar to a Fender champ or 600 circuit. // 6

Sound: Well it sounds like a great vintage amp, but it does buzz and I have yet to solve that. This amp is obviously great for delta blues, classic rock, or even country. With the volume all the way it doesn't crunch like the vintage Gretsch Electromatic or the Champ, but it does start to break up. Sounds great with pedals. It doesn't hiss or snap like other tube amps of it's age, but it's buzzing. I think that I can get this fixed, maybe just a bad transformer. The amp is 10 watts which is stated by it's name DM10. The speaker like I said before is 6.5 inches and runs at 8ohms and is around 10-20watts max. Sounds a little boxy. I think a better Jensen could fix that, but that does take away from it's vibe. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's durable to a point. Meaning I wouldn't gig with this and friends, not that it's loud enough anyways. If you were to drop this, it could cause unwanted damage for sure. It's certainly not a Fender, or even a Gretsch/Valco amp quality wise, but it is sturdy enough for bedroom play and recording, given your not a bull in a china shop. All of the speed knobs are like your standard speedys. The flip switch is metal along with the electronics casing. The actual adjustment knobs are plastic and could chip if it were to fall forward. The instrument in jacks are pretty solid and I can't imagine them breaking. // 7

Overall Impression: In conclusion, if you can get your hands on one, which they are very rare, I would say give it a try, it sounds great to my ears. When I bought mine I looked online and found that there was only like 4 or 5 of them out there world-wide!. People unknowingly probably threw these things in the rubbish back in the '70s, '80s and '90s when they were unplayed or a tube blew. They should be kicking themselves now because they are worth a load in original condition, in which I haven't found yet; most of them are somewhat modded. I already love this amp and I wouldn't trade it for anything even with it's annoying buzz. // 9

More Danelectro reviews rating category latest review
+ DJ-14 Fish & Chips 7-Band EQ 9.2 Guitar Effects 03/11/2014