Herbert Review

manufacturer: Diezel date: 12/09/2010 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Diezel: Herbert
The Herbert can serve up a wide range of tonal colors and textures courtesy of its three channels, each of which is voiced differently and optimized for a specific range of gain and tones.
 Features: 9.5
 8.9
 9.9
 7.9
reviews (2) 24 comments vote for this gear:
Herbert Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 14, 2004

Features: My amp is a Herbert Mark II purchased last fall. We can all look at the specs on the website. I purchased mine new from Tone Merchants. I find it interesting that the last reviewer couldn't get support for his amp issues. I don't think Diezel should be blamed for user incompetence. The loops are the best I've ever used and the amp is great with most pedals. // 10

Sound: I really dig all three channels. Most people don't really change the settings enough to get an idea of all the capabilities of the amp. You really need to use the volume knob on the guitar to get an idea of the range of sounds available. I have a mix of guitars including: a Suhr Classic (P90,single,'bucker), G&L Comanche, 335, Reverends and a Les Paul. I've never played one amp that really gets along with all my guitars. As far as noise, 60 cycle hum can be a little annoying with single coils in high gain mode--like any high gain amp. Noise on the power line can also be an issue. This is pretty typical of most amps. The clean channel has a lot of headroom and really works well with overdrive pedals to add a bit of crunch. It will do that Hiwatt thing quite a bit. The second channel is an easy favorite. The -/+ switch really gives a lot of range. You can get tones from SRV, to Soldano SLO 100, Marshall and beyond. The third channel is pretty wicked and can be unforgiving when playing sloppy. Attack is immediate and very punchy. I think that this channel needs to be experimented with to be fully appreciated. Don't just go for the really high gain dial in--roll the gain back a bit and see what you can get. I've sold all of my other amps because I'm totally satisfied with the Herbert. I like everything from blues to Nu metal and I think it handles all those genres well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think the amp is extremely well built. I'm kind of picky when it comes to design quality. It's built like a tank. Tubes are always the tricky part when it comes to amps. All than glowing glass needs to be treated right (standby/shutdown). Tubes are usually the problem in the few Herbert problems I've heard. // 10

Overall Impression: I don't think that there is a perfect amp for everyone. I've had Boogies, Top Hats, Bad Cats, and have access to just about everything out there. I think that the Herbert is one of the most versatile amps out there. The tones are incredible. I love a lot of different amps and will likely own others down the road, but I will never sell the Herbert. // 10

Herbert Reviewed by: SpicedMuffin, on december 09, 2010

Price paid: C$ 4800

Purchased from: Diffusion Audio

Features: My amp was built in 2005 but I bought it in april 2008 as new old stock. I mostly play alternative rock music and the Herbert fits right into the sound I'm looking for in my head. The Herbert has 3 channels clean, crunch, and Mega crunch. All channels are done by midi switching and even has a switchable effects loop. Which helps me so I don't have to do a tap dance when I'm playing with my band. I use the Herbert on everything I do it is my main amp. I have 6 KT-88 tubes in the power section it gives me a fat punchy tone. You could put any type of tube in the Herbert and re bias them. // 9

Sound: I mainly use two guitars with the herbert. My main axe is a custom built Fender strat with Lace sensor pick ups. My other guitar is a Billy Corgan sig strat. Which sounds so good with the Herbert like it was designed for it. The sound of the amp is very versatile. Most people think this as a brutal metal amp but it can do so much more with a little tweaking. For being a high gain amp it is not as noisy as alot of amp that are like it. The clean channel is one of the best I heard on a high gain amp I don't boost or anything except maybe add a little chorus to the clean channel for a different sound. All Diezel amps light distortion to all out brutalness // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would gig with it with out a back up. That's how much I would depend on it. I had a led burn out on my a month and a half after I bought I emailed Peter Diezel and he sent me a package of 10 led's. A month after that happened my Herbert had some bad resistor caps. I sent my amp away to get fix which didn't cost me anything! But I only sent it to a tech here in Canada. Peter Diezel help him out as much as he could and peter sent me a t-shirt as well. I can't say anything bad to about Peter Diezel he goes above and beyond for his customers. // 10

Overall Impression: I play and alternative style rock. The Herbert was a great match for as my guitar hero plays one (Billy Corgan). I have been playing gutar for 16 years I mostly played Marshall amps untill I got the herbert. If it was lost/stolen I would be pretty upset since I have the 369th one built but would have to buy another one. I love this amp if I don't play for awhile I cream when I do that's how good this amp is. // 10

More Diezel reviews rating category latest review
+ VH4 8.7 Guitar Amplifiers 08/11/2011