Blacktooth BT20 Review

7.3
review (1) pictures (3) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Blacktooth BT20 Reviewed by: Methereaper, on july 03, 2012

Purchased from: Guitarcenter.com

Features: Made in 2010-2011, the Dime amp had somehow fallen under my Dimebag Darrell radar. As I usually do in boredom, I was clicking through Guitar Center's used section and found this amp, and immediately bought it. It has 20 watts of solid state power, a 10" Eminence speaker (Yawn), two switchable channels, clean and drive, a three band eq, CD input, headphone jack, and an eternal speaker out, and an emphasized "Dime's Famous Tone!" Also features the words, "Light'em Up!" under the power switch, which I still to this day get a kick out of seeing. The features are pretty basic, nothing fancy. Black cab, green lettering sets it apart, but not by much. Sounds like a typical cheap amp, clean is pretty muddy for what I was expecting. Distortion works, but only barely. Without scooping the mids or using a pedal, it's hard to believe that it was simulated from the great, Dimebag Darrell's (R.I.P.) tone. The only reason I bought it was because it said Dime on it. // 7

Sound: I've played a B.C. Rich Beast through it until recently when I started using a squire. The Blacktooth BT20 is acceptable through it's own speaker, but sounds way better when running through a cab. The speaker is noisy and you can hear electronic noise alot when you stop playing. I now run it through a 400Watt Behringer BG412S Ultrastack cab and it sounds alot better than before. But at the end of the day, it has too little power for a cab, and too much for it's own speaker. I play everything, but unfortunately the amp doesn't. // 5

Reliability & Durability: It is a very dependable amp structurally, I have gigged with it several times, and it will hold it's own to an extent. I have never had a problem with it, but there's never a guarantee that it won't happen, but I'd trust it to go through a medium gig with no back-up. // 10

Overall Impression: It's a decent amp for what it is, but I believe Dime's rolling over in his grave, just thinking what they put his name on. They have an stack set up of this same amp, but I haven't played it. Maybe it'll be better, who knows. If it were stolen, it wouldn't bother me as much as the thought someone would steal it from me, plus they'd proly bring it back a couple days later. I go through gear all the time, so I'd just get something better. This is an amp that's all about preference. Some will like it, some won't. Definitely play before you buy. // 7

Comments