Rebel-20 Review

manufacturer: Egnater date: 01/15/2014 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Egnater: Rebel-20
The Egnater Rebel-20 is simple the best amp in it's price range. No amp at that price can touch the versatility, tone, and overall value of this amp.
 Features: 9.5
 9.7
 9.8
 9.5
reviews (2) pictures (2) 7 comments vote for this gear:
Rebel-20 Reviewed by: Jhachey22, on march 10, 2009

Purchased from: Guitar Centre

Features: The Egnater Rebel 20 is simple the best amp in it's price range. No amp at that price can touch the versatility, tone, and overall value of this amp. I got my Egnater in Michigan, and I got it before any of the online stores got them. I've come to the conclusion that this may be one of the first ones on the market (speculation, people. I have no proof of this). this amp is extremely versatile. With the twist of a couple of knobs, I can go from rude plexi crunch, to sweet Fender clean. This amp can handle anything you throw at it. Jazz, Blues, Metal, Rock, Funk, you name it. I play lots of Jam oriented music (Jazz, Blues, think Phish), so this amp is perfect for me. This is a single channel, 20 watt (hence the 20 moniker) all Tube Head. It has a built in effects loop at the back, and three outputs for cabs (16, 8 and 4 Ohms). The font panel goes like this: On/Off Switch, Standby Switch, Tube Selector, Watt selector (we'll talk about those later), Master Volume, Bass, Middle, Treble, Gain, Bright Switch, Tight Switch and then the input. The great features on this amp that you won't find on may other amps are the Tube selection, the Watt selection and the tight Switch. The tube selection lets you choose which par of tubes to use, or mix the up, in REAL TIME. It comes stock with a pair of 6V6s, a pair of EL84s, and a triplet of 12AX7s. The watt selection lets you raise or lower the headroom. Keep it at one, you will get output distortion and natural tube compression more easily. Crank it to twenty, and the amp says cleaner longer. The Tight Switch is a great feature once you crank up the gain. It tightens up the low end to give you more definition and clarity when executing those deep dark passages. I can't honestly think of a feature that I wish this amp had. Maybe a headphone jack, but you don't really need it. I use this amp everywhere. On stage, at home, jamming, etc. That's the beauty of this amp, it can be used anywhere, anytime, by anyone. This amp has more than enough power to keep up with your band mates. Plus, it comes with a carrying case. // 10

Sound: Like I have already said, this amp can play anything. Unless you need gain 'till your balls drop off, you don't really need an overdrive or any other gain booster. I use it with my Granada hollow body, my Epiphone LP std, and my two Strats. This amp works well with all of them. This amp is as quiet as can be. Even with single coils, this amp stays nice and quiet. But don't let that think you can't get some crazy Nugent approved feedback! With my hollow-body, I can get the sweetest sounding feedback you've ever heard. The only thing this amp can't do is really gainy sounds. I'm not talking stuff like sabbath or BLS, more like that really heavy, obscure black metal stuff. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is built like a brick s--t house. I think this amp is gonna outlive me! I have had this thing since last the fall of 2008, and I haven't even had a hint of a problem. I could definitely gig with this amp without a backup and not worry for a second. // 10

Overall Impression: In summary, you can't go wrong with this amp. Unless you are playing a stadium unmiked (and does anyone on here honestly? ), this amp is plenty loud. This thing handles anything you throw at it. It takes pedals well, it can get a HUGE variety of tones, it's light and, most of all, it's economical. If I lost it or someone stole this amp, I would not hesitate to buy another one. When I tried this amp, I A/B'd it against a silverface Bassman head, a Valveking, a Peavey 6505+, a DR.Z MAZ 18 and a Fender supersonic. The only amp that sounded better was the DR.Z (because, well, it's a DR.Z for f--k sakes! ). It beat every other amp flat out. So, if you are in the market for your first tube amp, or if you are a seasoned pro who wants a quality amp, you owe it to yourself to check out the Egnater Rebel 20. // 10

Rebel-20 Reviewed by: RyanTS2, on january 15, 2014

Features: The Egnater Rebel-20 is a single-channel, 20-watt electric guitar amplifier head designed and produced by Egnater Amplification (as of this writing, I'm not sure of the country of manufacture). Cosmetically, it features a beige tolex exterior with black side paneling, a cloth grille with a black-and-beige stitch pattern, and the Egnater logo in white. The tone control knobs* are a similar beige/cream color against a black panel, with silver standby and power switches. Internally, the amp contains three AX7 pre-amp tubes, one pair of 6V6 power tubes, and one pair of EL84 power tubes. I bought this amp secondhand, and I believe the tubes within are the original stock tubes, still in excellent working order. The tolex has minor scuffing but nothing you would notice immediately. Overall, I would say the Rebel-20 is built to last. I do tend to be delicate with my equipment at all times, so I don't expect to need amp servicing for a while.

Perhaps the most impressive feature of the Rebel-20 is the "Tube Mix" knob, which allows the player to choose whether the sound is voiced primarily through the 6V6s, the EL84s, or some combination of the two.

For my set-up, I do not require an amp to have more than a single channel, though I understand some players would prefer a second, if only to negate the need for an overdrive pedal. So that's the only reason I'm knocking this down from a 10 to a 9.

*The two switches, labeled "tight" (compressor) and "bright" (gain boost) are also available but I never use them. // 9

Sound: The Rebel-20 is capable of a diverse sound palette, due in large part to its tube mixing abilities. From the 6V6s the player can produce an articulate, classic clean sound, or a tight American-style overdrive (much like a Fender Hot Rod). Moving over to the EL84s, the amp takes on a punchier English growl, perfect for screeching leads when distorted. I play primarily jazz and fusion improv, so a little experimentation with the tone knobs yielded the desired results: I keep the tube mix at 1 o'clock, treble at 9, middle at 2, and the bass at 2 for a slightly subdued tone that balances cutting midrange-drenched leads with complex extended chord tones. Using these same settings but dialing the tone mix knob back to 9 o'clock allows for some great Jason Becker-style articulation, perfect for arpeggiated runs. The sound is in the hands of the beholder, really. But I feel that just about any player in any style will be able to sculpt something approximating their ideal tone.

I currently run a Squier '51 with a Seymour Duncan SH-6 in the bridge into a Morley Bad Horsie, Electro-Harmonix Pocket Metal Muff, and E-H Memory Man delay. While I would like to replace the Metal Muff for a hotter distortion pedal with less bottom end, all three pedals sound excellent through the amp at any volume. My mentor once told me that "a great clean tone is the DNA of a great tone" and that could not be more true of this amp. Pair this head with an 80-watt cab running a Celestion speaker, and you've got a match made in heaven. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've played the Rebel-20 in the house and on stage, and so far it has held up fantastically in both environments. Like I said, it's very well-built. I haven't owned it for too long, though, so I suppose I'll see what shape it's in next year. Until then, 10 points. Really not too much to say on the durability issue at this time. Take care of your gear, and it will take care of you. Let the tubes warm up before playing, don't throw it at obnoxious children, don't attempt to ingest it in any way, etc. etc. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play mostly jazz and fusion. With a little fiddling I was ample to dial in a satisfactory dark and complex jazz tone and multiple tones for various overdriven leads. The Rebel-20 would probably find itself at home in virtually any style of guitar music. If it were lost or stolen, I would absolutely replace it. (A word of advice: this review is about the head only, but I've heard that the stock cabinet isn't that great. I purchased only the head and currently run it through an 80-watt Fender Super Champ cabinet, and I would suggest fellow Rebel-20 players do something similar. It sounds amazing.) // 10

More Egnater reviews rating category latest review
+ Tweaker-88 8 Guitar Amplifiers 03/14/2014