Renegade 212 Review

manufacturer: Egnater date: 08/01/2013 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Egnater: Renegade 212
The amp is versatile enough to handle any rock that I do to some metal, though it doesn't dish out brutal gain.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Features: 8.5
 9.2
 8.4
reviews (2) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Renegade 212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 01, 2013

Features: I bought the Renegade 212 new from Guitar Center about four months ago. If you're reading this you probably know about the model already: two channels with gain, volume, bass, mid, treble, and reverb; both channels can be set for either 65 watts or 18 watts; both with the Egnater "tube-mix" dial that you've read about; deep/tight and bright/normal switches on both channels; a master presence and density dial; effects loop; direct recording out; separate volume dials for a master out and a boost. All of these features are useful and I regularly tweak them. Footswitch is nice as it gets because each switch(channel, reverb, loop, boost or main) can be assigned to activate both channel A and channel B or independently assigned to A or B. This is a fast way to get extreme tonal differences when switching between channel A and B. The XLR recording out can be plugged directly into a PA in addition to using it as a home recording output. I tried that once at a live gig and it worked well. But my preference would be to always mic the Renegade in a live situation. // 9

Sound: This is my main amp for both home recording and my work in a five piece band that mainly plays progressive rock, classic rock, and some alternative music. I play both a Fender Stratocaster HSS and a Gibson Les Paul. I bought this amp to replace a Fender Supersonic 22 that I used for about a year. That amp had a killer sweet spot on the overdrive channel that was about as good an OD sound as I've ever heard. Problem was I wanted more than one sweet spot. Moreover, I had to push the SS22 to be heard over my overly loud drummer and lead guitarist which always resulted in a frustrating and early break-up of the cleans and an uninspired maxed-out sound on my stressed OD channel. The Renegade 212 solved those problems for me. You can get cleans as loud as you need them. With the bright switch engaged on the clean channel, the tubes set to 6L6s, and the bass up really high you can get a nice sparkly and warm sound, not as drop-dead beautiful as a Fender Twin Reverb, but close. The OD channel can get you a high-gain sound not found on an Fender and which opens up possibilities for songs requiring really big distorted sounds. Medium gain settings can be tweaked to get all sorts of different OD. Again, none as perfect as that one OD sweet spot on my Supersonic 22 but the Egnater gives me more really good sweet spots to pick. There is an internal fan that comes on the moment you power up the renegade. As soon as you start to play you won't be able to hear it but it can clearly be heard in a quiet room. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I read some reviews that criticized Egnater amps for reliability issues and that had me a little worried, but I've had no problems as of yet. I wonder if some of that is just the American-made verses rest of the world made snobbery? In any case, I gig with this amp without bringing a back-up and don't give it too much thought. I roll it over cracked pavement, grass, and over cables without worrying about shaking anything loose. I use it as a platform to set my beer bottle down. I sit on it, and it fell over once. Still works and looks great. // 10

Overall Impression: If you're like me you're agonizing over you choice of a new amplifier. So I'll try to make this easy for you. If you're thinking of the Renegade 212 here is exactly what you'll get: 1) lots of versatility with a generous but not overwhelming number of parameters to play with as you adjust your sound from song to song; 2) as much volume as you need in any situation. With two speakers the sound is both big and really full; 3) really nice cleans that are warm with a good amount of bite. Admittedly, though, with less of the trebly twang you'd get in a Fender amp (if that's what you like); 3) fat saturated lead sounds if you need them. Crank up the gain on channel two, add delay and chorus or flange through the loop and you can get the David Gilmour sound that you want. There are two things you won't get with this amp: 1) mid-range OD sounds that are as good as some of the other amps out there that specialize in that particular tone zone. So if you're mainly a blues player and want that nice defined break-up that exemplifies the R&B classic stuff from the '60s you should look elsewhere; 2) an amp that is easy to move around. This one is really heavy. I can move it myself but always need to be careful about my back and need help moving it up or down stairs. I live with this because I really wanted a 212 rather than a 112 for the additional depth. But you might consider spending a couple hundred more to by the head and 212 cab instead of getting the combo, like I did. But in the end I'm really happy with the Renegade 212 and wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. Why? Because in a world where no amp can do everything this one does an awful lot. // 8

Renegade 212 Reviewed by: Dio10101, on november 27, 2012

Features: I'm pretty sure the amp was made in either 2011 or 2012, so it's a pretty new one, bought it new from guitar center. The amp is versatile enough to handle any rock that I do to some metal, though it doesn't dish out brutal gain, which isn't something I need, and I'd just use a pedal if I wanted to. I'm primarily a Modern Rock guitarist in my band( in the vein of Coheed And Cambria), but I play a lot of Guthrie Govan too, so it was important it could handle both of those things. The amp has two channels, one clean one distortion with seperate EQ's but shared master volume(but it has dedicated channel volume too) and presence/density. It has a footswitch that allows you to switch between channels, turn reverb on and off and activate the effects loop. No headphone input, though that isn't a problem for me. The amp's coolest feature is it's Tube Mix which lets you switch between EL34 preamp tubes and 6L6's. The amp is also all tube. // 8

Sound: I use this amp with both a Fender American Standard Strat with single coils and an MIJ Squier with Suhr pickups. It sounds really good with both, when eq'ed a little bit. It suits my style of rock since it's easy to dial in a fairly distorted rock tone, but keep clarity, and make each note fairly distnict. It's not very noisy(unless I put the single coils in), but it isn't quite silent either. It's never been a huge problem for me. The amp isn't hugely diverse, but it isn't quite a one trick pony either. It can do decent cleans, to 80's metal, and all things in-between. The clean channel can distort at higher volume but that's usually a side effect of turning the channel volume up too high (though that's usually hard not to do, since the clean channel is a bit quieter than the distorted one, naturally and due to the shared master volume there needs to be some compensation). As I said before, the distortion doesn't get too brutal. It comes off as more of a heavy drive, until the very highest gain settings. It does everything I want it to very well, so I really enjoy the sound. It's one of my favorite amps. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Yes. I use it at gigs without backups all the time. The only thing I'd ever consider using as a backup for it though, would be the same thing. It's given me no reason to believe it's not dependable as an amp. One thing about it that seems flimsy though, are the handles for picking up the amp. They haven't broken, but they feel to me like they can barely support the weight of the amp, and it worries me when I need to pick it up to load it into my car. The amp has never ever broken down on me, but for a short while, everytime I turned it off, there was a sort of a popping sound, but I just disconnected the speaker in the back of the amp every time I turned it off to make sure that it didn't affect my speakers. // 7

Overall Impression: It suits my style just about perfectly, and I'd say it's a good match for me. I've been playing guitar for four years, and I've owned a Peavey Valveking before this, and a Line 6 Flextone II, and this blows both of them away. If the amp were stolen or lost, the only thing I could imagine replacing it with would be an Axe FX II by Fractal Audio, but another Renegade would be perfectly fine too. I really love that the amp gets the rock tones so perfectly, I just wish it was a bit easier to get a liquid metal tone out of it. My favorite feature is probably the tube mix, since it lets me get more flexibility out of the amp and give slightly different character to the tones. The only thing I wish it had was just a little bit more gain on tap, though it's not a huge deal. // 9

More Egnater reviews rating category latest review
+ Vengeance Head 9.7 Guitar Amplifiers 07/15/2014