Tweaker 40 Review

8.7
reviews (2) pictures (1) 14 comments vote for this gear:
Tweaker 40 Reviewed by: andy474x, on october 17, 2011

Purchased from: GC Boston

Features: The new Tweaker 40 lives up to the high tonal reputation set by the original Tweaker 15, while adding more power and features. I bought the Tweaker 40 combo soon after it was released in 2011. I use it to play rock, blues, and pretty much any other style except heavy metal. As an upgrade to the original Tweaker 15, the 40 offers 2 channels with a shared treb/mid/bass tone stack, and the USA/AC/BRIT mode switch is also global for both channels. Each channel features its own gain and master volume controls, as well as a host of 5 additional Tweaker switches: tight/deep, bright/normal, hot/clean, normal/mid cut, and vintage/modern. The Tweaker 40 now has a footswitch to control channel switching and effects loop on/off. The back panel hosts 2 speaker outs with a 4/8/16 ohm selector switch, a power supply voltage selector switch, and an effects loop with a selector for line or instrument (aka compatible with stompboxes) levels. The combo also holds a wonderful Celestion Elite 50 speaker, and a 6L6 based power section. Overall, this amp is extremely well endowed with good features. Since both channels have identical controls, they can be set up as clones with one channel louder for a solo boost, or for clean and dirty like a more traditional 2 channel amplifier. Normally I don't prefer amps with a shared EQ section, but the Tweaker switches make it very easy to adjust each channel for a particular sound. I do wish the amp had a solo boost function, as well as a reverb. Also, I would like to run the channels as different amp types, for example clean Fender and dirty Vox, but that switch is unfortunately global for the amp. In Egnater's defense, the amp modes may sound too different to sound good with a shared EQ. My only complaints about features the amp does have are that the controls are on the top of the combo, which if you put the amp on a stand or angle it upwards from the ground, means you have to lean way over to get a good look, back panel jacks are facing downward, rather than pointing straight out from the back of the amp, which can make things rather difficult as far a setup. But overall, the pro's definitely outweigh the few cons of this amp, and it's a very handy piece to have at a gig or for home use. // 9

Sound: I use this amp with a variety of guitars, including a Fender Strat, PRS SE Custom 22 hardtail, PRS SE Custom 24, and an Ibanez semi-hollow. One of the great things about the Tweaker is that it's so flexible, you can match it to any guitar and get any tone from pristine cleans to moderate rock distortion. As stated earlier, the two channels in combination with the Tweaker switches make it easy to dial in each channel to your preferences. As with the original Tweaker, the American/AC/Brit modes do a great job recreating the amps they impersonate. The 40 watt version also has a good deal more bottom end than the 15, which makes for a very full sound especially at high volumes. The increase in bottom end also makes the "vintage" mode more useful, as I found that mode slightly too thin on the 15. I do slightly prefer the breakup sound of the 6V6 tubes in the original Tweaker, but the 6L6 tubes by no means sound bad when pushed. Also, whereas I found the speaker in the 15 watt combo to fart out at high volumes, the Elite 50 is totally solid. The amp's distortion will reach what I call a moderate gain level, and easily increases when pushed with a boost or overdrive pedal. It won't reach a massive "rectifier" type gain level, but if you're playing straight up rock, you definitely won't be wishing for more gain. For example, the gig I just played it at was an 80's night, and I was playing GnR, Ozzy, Bon Jovi, etc. all night. I actually A/B'ed this amp against the Egnater Renegade, and was surprised to find that I liked the Tweaker 40's sounds much better. Overall, I couldn't ask for a better sounding amp that does such a great job emulating other classic amps. The original Tweaker was an instant classic for a reason, and the Tweaker 40 is no exception to the trend. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only gigged this amp once so far, and am posting this review mostly because as of right now it's a very new amp and there are no other independent reviews available, but so far everything seems very solid. As with the 15, all the knobs and switches are solid, and the cabinet is nice and sturdy. I would have like some metal corners, to keep the tolex from ripping if it gets knocked around, but no problems yet there either. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 9 years now, and own a small variety of tube amps ranging from 5 watts to 100, including the Tweaker 15, and if I had to pick just one it would definitely be this amp. Between the power, tone, flexibility, features, and value, it can't be beat. I looked at a lot of different amps in a search for a medium powered combo around a grand, and just kept coming back to this one. It performed great at the recent gig I played it at, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a flexible and great sounding gigging amp. // 10

Tweaker 40 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 27, 2012

Features: The Tweaker is aptly named, as you can dial in a wide variety of clean of over-driven sounds. The two channels share the EQ, but have separate switches that allow you to tailor the second channel to be as radically different or as subtle in channel switching as you care to be. I chose it in part for its mid-range 40W power, enough to play at home at moderate levels, and still compete with a drummer in a live/ small gig setting. Another important but often overlooked feature is the facility to select the appropriate resistance for your 4, 8 or 16 ohm cabinets. This feature alone ratchets the score up another notch. // 9

Sound: The main reason why I selected this amp over any other was that I could dial-in a very full, round clean sound, and add a fairly convincing edge to the second channel sound. It maintains these definitions over a wide range of volume. There is a hint of natural compression (this is a tube amp) as well, so you avoid those ice-pick treble tones as you run up the scale. It has an effects loop but I don't use any. In my opinion, the purpose of buying a decent amp is to get at least one good sound, and this one has a few. I don't think this is a head-banger's amp: It definitely has a hint of that British tone but in my opinion bone-crunching overdrive it is not what this amp does best. I was very pleased at how dead quiet the amp is when I'm NOT making noise. That's a big improvement over all my aging black faced Fenders, Traynor, SS Acoustics and Marshall. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had this amp long enough to rate durability. It does however appear to be well constructed of quality components, and I have little doubt that it will hold up well. (I'll give it a nine to be consistent with the other ratings and keep my fingers crossed.) // 9

Overall Impression: The Egnater Tweaker is well suited to my playing, ranging from raging blues to prog rock. The amp seems to be at home with my guitar menagerie, with just a few 'tweaks' - That includes various Soapbar and Humbucker-equipped Gibsons, and several Fender Teles/Strats. It even did OK with the ancient 'Floating DeArmond Guitar Mike' on my old Gibson Archtop. Overall, this is an extremely flexible and well thought-out product - with enough features to mold itself to your personal style and preferences, but WITHOUT being loaded up with scads of inane digital gadgets I see on so many modeling amps -(but haven't even approached for fear of their Space-station lunar control panels). The Egnater Tweaker was the right choice for me, as it will be for many others. I am sure it will become one of the best-regarded "all-around" amps that the amplifier cognoscenti will be talking about for years to come. // 10

More Egnater reviews rating category latest review
+ Vengeance Head 9.7 Guitar Amplifiers 07/15/2014