Vengeance Head Review

9.2
reviews (2) pictures (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Vengeance Head Reviewed by: kodyWTP, on july 11, 2012

Purchased from: zZounds.com

Features: Copied from zZounds.com: - 120-Watt All Tube Head - Selectable Full/Half Power Switch (120/60-Watts) - Two Independent Channels each With: - Volume, Gain and 3-band EQ - Tight and Bright Voicing Switches - Mids Cut or Boost Voicing Switch - High/Low Gain Switch - Independent Reverb Controls with "Spillover" - Master Controls: - Presence & Density - Main and Secondary Master Volumes - Six Button Footswitch for: - Channel Select - Channel 1 Mids - Channel 2 Mids - Effects Loop - Reverb - 2nd Master Volume - Assign the Effects Loop and 2nd Master to Channel 1, Channel 2 or Both - Connects to Amp Via a Standard XLR Cable - Additional 1/4 in. Jacks for External Control of Switching Functions - Simple Bias Adjust with External Test Points - Balanced XLR Cabinet Voiced Line / Recording Output - Buffered Effects Loop with Send and Return Levels - 117V / 230V Voltage Selector Very versatile, with these features. The foot switch is very nice. Channel switching is very fast! I really like the MIDs boosts on both channels. It allows me to punch through certain parts. My amp is the newest of the bunch, with 6L6 tubes and not EL34 like the earlier models. Although it has biasing knobs on the back. You could put almost any type of tube in it. The manual have all the info you need to do this. Speaking of the manual; it has a ton of useful stuff in it. It don't feel it's lacking anything. Wanted to mention, I've owned this for two months now. // 8

Sound: Aw, this is where we all scroll down to actually read the review. I'll try not to go overboard here, but I think I'll always play Egnater from now on. My gear is (amp to guitar): EHX Stereo Memory Man > Morley Little Alligator Volume > Behringer Vintage Phaser > DOD FX40 EQ > Arion Tubulator Overdrive (tubescreamer clone) > EHX BassBalls Filter > Schecter C-7 Hellraiser (EMG 707tw). This is all running straight throught the front, not the FX loop. Although, I do have a Send cable coming from the FX loop into my EHX Iron Lung Vocoder, which is running into another amp for vocals. Which further illustrates the flexibility of the amp. No unwanted noise at all. It's actually very quiet with distortion on. I'm using a cheap "pawn shop special" custom Celestion 4x12 cabinet. I paid 80 bucks for it and had to re-wire it. It has two Celestion V1280s and two Celestion G12L35s. I wired these series/parallel in a criss-cross pattern. I lucked out with this "Frankensteined" cab. It sounds pretty damned good. I almost always run my amp in the full 120 watt mode. I'm amazed how smooth this amp sounds. My EMGs (almost) don't sounds like EMGs. In that I meant, when I'm playing clean it sounds like I'm playing a low-tuned Les Paul. But with distortion it has that nice bite that the 707s are known for. I should also mention, I'm tuned pretty low (low to high) GDGCFAD. I use heavy strings too 72 56 46 36 26w 17 13. But no matter what I play or how I play it, it always sounds good... Really good! There is a lot of gain here. I have mine set (on the low gain setting) around 9 o'clock. With my Overdrive and EQ pedals boosting it, it's perfect. I'm in a band with only me as the guitarist, so clarity is really important. I have two small complaints. I don't like the Direct Recording out. I thought it sounded very dull and lifeless. I just use an SM57 slightly off-axis up on the speaker cab for better results. Also not crazy about the Reverb. I think a nice pedal would sound better. Been playing for over 15 years, and I've never been happier with my sound than I am now! // 9

Reliability & Durability: In the two months I've had it so far, no problems. The built quality is top-notch. It's a bit heavy, but sometimes that's a good thing. I wouldn't hesitate to gig without a backup. But maybe that's only because I don't own a backup.... yet. // 8

Overall Impression: Judging by my gear, it would seem I'm a Metal player. I'm more of a Progressive Metal/Rock player I guess. I do play Metal riffs and they sound amazing through this amp! In fact, I find myself playing riffs I've never attempted before. My lead playing has really improved with this amp. It's made me a better player, with an awesome array of different sounds. I love this amp so much, I get goosebumps every time I power it up. If you want to hear how I play it, you can check out a link to my band's YouTube channel below. The most recent videos, have me playing with my Vengeance. I hope this was helpful. Thanks! // 9

Vengeance Head Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 16, 2012

Features: I was looking for a small, well rounded combo for my office so I could play when I had some downtime. This was not on my list or even my radar. BUT, as soon as I played it, that was it! At home I've got an Eleven Rack for recording and a Mesa Boogie MK IV head and cab with an extensive pedalboard, so I was just looking for a small combo amp with alot of features to play in my office when I had some downtime. Bought a 6505 combo, a Line 6 Spider Valve, and even a Bogner Alchemist in the course of two weeks, to try out. I tried the Vengeance the day I returned the 6505 to Guitar Center and Holy Cow! This amp needs to be known by all (although I'm not sure, sometimes that could be a bad thing). It's a 120/60 watt all tube head. It has two channels. Channel 1 is the clean channel, but you can dirty it up as well. The clean sound is awesome. Chimey and bright and full. Add a little gain and you can go from that Marshall-y crunch to bluesy overdrive. Then there's Channel 2. This is where this amp kills. You can go anywhere from thick distortion to Crunch, to Dime, and basically everywhere in between. And the beauty is that it doesn't sound like some other amps where the distortion is this buzzy distortion, or scooped distortion that basically has the same characteristic no matter where you set the treble or bass. It can be warm and soaring, or scooped, or tight and full, and it does not sound sterile or generic. If you weren't looking at it as you changed your settings, you would think there were different amps being played. As much a following as the 6505 has or maybe even the Spider Valve, this blows them away. Played my 7 string Petrucci and the low strings are tight and clear. If I had one negative, and it's really not one that would change my mind on this amp, it would be the reverb. You almost can't go beyond like 10 or 11 O'Clock or the reverb becomes very overwhelming. And even with that there is a positive. Egnater has designed it so that when you go between the clean channel and Ch. 2 the reverb has "spillover" so that there is no abrupt dropout of the reverb as you switch channels. This is a great feature. So, I just keep it around 9 and it sounds great. And I should mention that the footswitch is very nicely laid out. It allows you to switch the mid cut/boost in and out on each channel, engage the 2nd master (for a nice boost) and turn the reverb on and off. You can also control the effects loop for each channel from the footswitch. I want to say that I've read tons of reviews before and this is my first posting of one. I know (because I've sometimes done the same) that some people may read this and say "this guy just loves this amp so much that he isn't giving a true unbiased review". I guess I can always give a bad review for the amps I tried and didn't like, but my point in doing this is to really give a review of an amp that I purchased because I found something that sounded great. We're all on this Quest for the best tone and I found mine and want to share it. And before I move on, some other features include a direct out, effects loop, switchable speaker impedance outputs, and more. I should also say that I picked up a Mesa Boogie 2x12 Recto cab to play this thru and I can't say enough about that either. I tried the Vengeance through a 4x12 Marshall cab and a Bogner 2x12 cab before trying the Mesa cab and no contest. Sounds amazing. One last thing. Another customer in the store tried to convince me to buy a Line 6 Spider IV because he felt it sounded more brutal. Sorry, I'll give kudos to amp modelers and solid state amps when due and there are a few out there that are amazing, but there is no way the Spider compares to the warmth and personality of the Vengeance. As far as I'm concerned there are few amps out there for the price that have the punch, clarity, brutality and character that the Vengeance has. // 9

Sound: Played my 7 string Ernie Ball Petrucci, 2009 Les Paul Standard, '89 Fender HM Strat, Custom Shop Fender Strat and custom made Warmoth Dinky with Seymour Duncan '59 humbucker though the Vengeance. All maintained their identity and sounded great. Lovin' the single coils thru the Vengeance, and fuggedabout the humbuckers! Quiet as heck. And like I said incredible cleans to brutal distortion. BUT here's the key... The distortion is heavy and thick for chugging chords, BUT when you play a solo, it doesn't thin out. It sustains and remains thick and full. I play everything from blues to prog to rock to metal and this amp covers all that territory. I can't believe I'm gonna say this out loud, but I actually glanced at my Boogie Mark IV and for a split second thought about selling it. I won't because that as well is an awesome amp, but the Vengeance is unbelievable. The other important thing for me was that I don't need to add an overdrive or other similar pedal to the Vengeance. The distortion is amazing. It doesn't need any help whatsoever. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Build quality is very good and it is built like a tank. Have only had it for a week or so so I can't say much more than that. It also looks cool as hell. It will mostly be used at home so I don't anticipate any issues. I baby my gear and will treat this one with care. Also, the footswich is built very well. // 10

Overall Impression: Incredible amp with an amazing range of sounds to be had. Great personality and playability. Can't be beat for the price. I know Egnater isn't the most widely known amp company, at least for this type of amp, but they hit it out of the Park on this one. // 10

More Egnater reviews rating category latest review
+ Tweaker-88 8 Guitar Amplifiers 03/14/2014