E 320 Thunder 50 Reverb Combo Review

manufacturer: Engl date: 06/01/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Engl: E 320 Thunder 50 Reverb Combo
Well first thing is first: VEEEEERY good amp. It can do anything if you want it to, may not be the most versatile amp but the tone that it delivers is juicy, sparkly and pure tube tone!
 7.6
 8.8
 6.4
review (1) pictures (3) 5 comments vote for this gear:
E 320 Thunder 50 Reverb Combo Reviewed by: crazytjeuh, on june 01, 2012

Price paid: € 450

Purchased from: 2nd hand

Features: Well first thing is first: VEEEEERY good amp. It can do anything if you want it to, may not be the most versatile amp (e.g. Shared eq, 1 gain knob, no presence or resonance control) but the tone that it delivers is juicy, sparkly and pure tube tone! Effects loop has a mix control, so you can run a delay in parallel to the dry signal or just full on fx. Reverb is good and usable, too bad it can't be switched on/off by the footswitch! I use this amp to play at home (yes, it can sound good at low volume), record and Jam with friends (no drummer! But I'm more than sure it would keep up with a band). 50 watts is friggin' loud people, more than enough power for ANY situation and clean headroom will remain at VERY high volumes. Oh yeah, it has speaker outputs to run 8 and 16 ohm cabs. // 8

Sound: I'm using a Cort TS 200, it's basically a Les Paul Goldtop copy but affordable. I play anyhting from Hendrix to Ozzy to some trash/heavy stuff like Megadeth. Using an OD pedal is overkill since there's tons of gain. If you want that tight djent sound roll back gain and pick better. The clean channel sounds very sparkly and is compressed just enough. The crunch is good for any kind of 70's rock and the lead goes from very heavy to singing leads. I have my gain from 5-6 and it does all these sounds I just mentioned. It does get noisy, but that's only with gain from 8-10 and I doubt you'll VERY need that much gain! // 9

Reliability & Durability: If this thing wasn't reliable, nothing would be. Metal cover in front of speaker, not too heavy to be honest (about 18kg) and the electronics look VERY well put together. The guy I bought it from gigged it endlessly and had never had any problem! // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of classics and more modern stuff. This amp suits it all. It sounds like an Engl and that's what makes it so awesome I guess! I compared it to alot of tube amps over the years, this is the best one I ever heard imo. I got so lucky to get it at this price! It satisfies my needs and if you ever see one, go give it a try! // 9

More Engl reviews rating category latest review
+ E 625 Fireball 8.9 Guitar Amplifiers 07/03/2013