E 625 Fireball Review

8.6
reviews (5) pictures (2) 20 comments vote for this gear:
E 625 Fireball Reviewed by: JoelTheShredder, on march 13, 2009

Purchased from: Private dealer

Features: Not sure when this one was made but she seems to be "well travelled". 2 Chanels, clean and ultra gain. Shared EQ with master a/b, bass/mid/treble, presence, gain and a depth punch Switch and a bright Switch. No reverb. Great effects loop. Naturally, being all tube it has no headphone jack. In the price I got an Engl 4x12 cab and a z4 footswitch. I do reasonably sized gigs and practice whith a band and at home. // 9

Sound: I use an Ibanez JS1000 loaded with tappable dimarzios. This is a suprisingly quiet amp being a brutal high gain monster n' all. Of course when you crank up the gain and volume you get some feedback and stuff but nothing a noise decimator wont solve. The amp boasts magnificent cleans, orgasmic low end distortion. But nothing in the middle. The pushed blues tones are good. Just not great. Same with the crunch. There is just something about crunch the amp wont do on it's own:/ But throw a nice OD infront and you're rolling. I think this amp sounds better with a little mid scooping as it is very mid heavy when all the knobs are midnighted. It has the best low end distortion out there apart from it's bigger brother the invader. Honestly, metal heads will NOT be dissapointed. The cleans are punchy and bass heavy when you engage the depth Switch, and with the bright Switch activated you get really articulate, clear and shiny tomes. It really cuts through a band aswell with s'more EQ-ing. The clean chanel should stay clean as you turn it up as long as the gain is behing the halfway point and the same with the ultra gain chanel. Turn up the volume turn down the gain. Logic right? This amp suit's me perfectly as an all around player and was worth every penny. Considerably cheaper than a boogie Dual Rectifier and beats it hands down in tone. And if you wanna get really good mid gain tones too just buy a tubescreamer or something and still have some money left that you wouldn't if you bought that boggie. 1 Point off for the lack of good mid gain crunch and Drive. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Seems very solid. All metal grill and back and the knobs are securely on. On the first service in god knows how many years, the tech said that there was a little dust but nothing needed soldering. All was like new! Mine has had years of abuse and shown no signs of weakness. I gig her all the time with no backup. that's how much Faith I have in her not coping out. Literaly is built like a tank. // 10

Overall Impression: I mainly play highish gain blues/shred. Joe Satriani kind of stuff. But I like to play mushroomhead and Slipknot and also t3h Pink floydz and beatles shizzz. Some Hendrix and SRV in there too. This amp handles all of these without breaking a sweat. I've been playing for roughly 6 and a half years and I have various stompboxes and my prior mentioned js1000. If it were stolen I would stolen I would find the guy and force a 747 up his ass / buy a new one in a heartbeat. The main contenders were the Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier and the Rivera Knucklehead. And I chose this one for the amazing tone it delivered. // 10

E 625 Fireball Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 25, 2010

Purchased from: private seller

Features: Here we have, the Engl Fireball E625 head. 60 watts all tube power (4x ECC83/12AX7, 2x 6L6) with power tube LED monitors, 2 channels, shared EQ and gain between them. Dual master volumes, and an FX loop. It's a very straightforward, easy to use amplifier, which is something I particularly like in amps, but may not appeal to others looking for versatility. I'd normally rate this a 7, but this amp gets a bonus point for being incredibly user friendly, without completely sacrificing features. // 8

Sound: This amp is a bit of a one-trick pony, but what a trick it is! This amp basically delivers two types of sounds. A nice, sparkly clean tone (not Fender good, but better than most high gain amps), and the most brutal, searing high gain distortion possible. This is perfect if you're into playing hard rock/metal, but not so much for other stuff. I use various guitars w/higher output passive bridge pickups (the DiMarzio Super Distortion being my favorite), and they work quite well with this amp, but with how tight, responsive, and high gain this amp is, you could get a death metal tone w/PAF's no problem. A little tends to go a long way with the bass, treble, and prescence on this amp. If you keep your mids high, and use the other frequencies more conservatively, you can get some fantastic tones. The presence knob in particular is quite sensitive, and there can be a fine line between too little and too much, same with the bass. Overall though, it is still an easy amp to dial in, and if it doesn't have enough gain for you, then nothing does. I never have mine past about 10:30-11 o-clock. As with almost all high gain amps, this amp can be particularly noisy while using high gain, so a noise gate would be a good companion to have along with this beast. Also, you will need to pretty much crank your mids for it to cut through in a live situation, so mid scoopers beware! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've only had this amp for about a month so far, but it appears to be a very durable, and well built piece of German engineering. (The head is quite big, and weighs in at about 53 lbs or so). The Power tube LED monitors are a nice feature to have, to prevent a major tube failure on stage or while practicing. I wouldn't hesitate to use it live w/out a backup, but a backup is always a good thing to have too. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a killer amp for metal styles, and if you're looking for a great, brutal high gain tone in a simple, easy to use amp, then this one is for you. It's also a fairly unique amp to have in the states, it seems (Where dual recs and 6505s are much more commonplace). That is part of why I went with this, apart from preferring it over those options. It's weakest point is probably it's versatility, but in this case, you are sacrificing that for gains in other areas (Versatile amps w/this much gain often cost considerably more). If it were lost, I'd probably replace it w/another Engl model of some sort, or maybe some other boutique high gain amp. There's a lot of great stuff out there these days, but this amp delivers the goods for metal, especially for the price. // 8

E 625 Fireball Reviewed by: Blanco, on march 31, 2011

Purchased from: with 2x12 cab

Features: The Engl Fireball is a nice 60w, 2 channel all valve head. It can go from nice clear and crisp clean, Acoustic sounds to full blown high gain metal with ease. The 3 band EQmakes it easy to tweak settings and if you include a Boss ge-7 with your purchase you can really hone in on your sound. Along with the EQ there is a bright Switch and depth Switch which add emphasis to certain frequencies. The presence control is also sat nicely next to the two channel volume and adds a nice warmth to your sound. The head that I brought came with an aftermarket Switch pedal (not official) but works exactly the same. It comes with a nice effects loop and speaker outputs for 2x8 and 2x16 ohmns. // 9

Sound: I've ran this amp with my ESP horizon with seymour duncans, my SC-607 seven string and my Fender telecaster and all of them sound amazing through it. My main playing style is tech, metal, hardcore (architects, arusha accord) but i achieve most tones in-between. There is minimum of hiss from the valves and the clean channel stays clear and crisp up to around the midway point on the volume dial. The distortion channel is pure genius. Engl have somehow made and amp that is just full of tone. No matter how you set it up, full on gain, just a bit of crunch, it has plenty of tone and feeling. It really compliments your playing rather than masking it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Mine has unfortunately taken a heavy knock, by which i mean got booted by my bassist during some on stage antics. This took the mid pot dial and pot shaft straight off. Even with this though the amp still works and the mid pot still works if you clasped the remaining part of the pot shaft. I however got it replaced straight away and its now in full working order again. I have had no trouble with the amp at all. The valves sound perfect. The mechanics work fine and it has never let me down. // 10

Overall Impression: If your after anything from thrash metal to lush blues try this amp out. It won't disappoint. My only bugbear is that it only has one eq channel. But for an amp thats RRP is under 1000 it is by far the best on the market. Not only can you keep it at low bedroom levels but also crank it for onstage. The only other company I can compare this amp too is a hughes and kettner, but then they are double the price of this. // 10

E 625 Fireball Reviewed by: panqba, on august 11, 2011

Price paid: € 1000

Purchased from: Omnimusic Poland

Features: As far as I know it was made in 2007. It is a simple, two-chanel amp with shared eq. Although it may appear to be a problem, it is not - as for me, I shall write about it later. 2 power tubes (6l6) gives us 60 watts of PURE POWER! It is a LOUD amp and it bites through the band, but it will not make everything else sound like a background. 4 pre-amp tubes take care for the rest. One thing: it comes with no footswitch included. I made a simple one myself: 1-clean chanel, Master A; 2-Drive chanel, Master B; it works perfect for me, and it is easy to make. // 9

Sound: It it plugged to a 4x12 Engl Standard Slanted cabinet. I use it mainly with my SG or a luthier-made singlecut (ceramic humbuckers, mahogany and alder, set neck). The amp sounds clear on any setup, the boosts ("Depth" and "Bright") work immediately and noticably as well. The clean chanel is really nice, you can hear every note and every nuance, little vibrato or whatever. You just can't get it dirty, even if you set every knob in the MAX position. Then comes the Drive chanel, which is an absolute killer. You can use it to provide most brutal sounds ever, as well as little crunchy stuff, when you set the gain around... 0.5. Watch out for the speaker-feedback, the pre-amp is VERY sensitive in Ultra Gain mode (drive chanel). // 10

Reliability & Durability: Its body is solid and durable, I use it for nearly four years and it never let me down. I changed the tubes for the first time after using it for 3 years. Germans did a great job by precisely building every part of it. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing seriously for 5 years. Heavy rock music and metal of all kinds. I love my Engl amp, I love its sound, I love its clean chanel, I love its Drive even more. I would never change it for anything else. I considered buing a Single Rectifier from Mesa (I found out Fireball has a WAY better clean chanel) or Peavey Triple (to shallow distortion IMO) - after I played this Engl for the first time I have never looked back. // 10

E 625 Fireball Reviewed by: charvel555, on july 03, 2013

Price paid: € 900

Features: I bought this amp in 2009, I'm not quite sure which year it was built, I find this amplifier versatile enough in a hard rock to death metal domain, I used this amplifier in a death metal band in studio and on stage for a few years, and I am presently gigging with it in a heavy rock band. The only features I wish it came with would be a a reverb channel and a built in noise gate (which the new series has!), but I can't complain, couldn't beat the value for your money back then. The 60W is more than enough in live and practice situation. // 8

Sound: I used 2 main guitars with this amp, 7 string Jackson with evolution and blade 2 pickups, and Gibson studio with stock pickups. Playing on the Jackson with pickup configuration gave me almost no feedback on this amp, keeping in mind that I kept the gain between 9-10 o'clock, once the bright or depth switch engaged, a whole different story, lol. I find it hard to play with the Gibson and stock pickups without a noise gate, and rolling off the volume knob on the guitar. I have to agree with other reviews that the cleans are impressive, but then again I have never owned a Fender high priced amp. This amp suits my musical playing styles perfectly, if I want a nice 70-80's crunch I use an overdrive pedal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'm knocking on wood but I've never had any problems with this amp! Nothing! Would not bring a backup to a gig situation if something did happen I would ask to use another bands amp. I have never been in contact with Engl customer service, but I am sure they would not help that much since my amp was bought many years ago, it's a simple amp I think if something went wrong with it, my local repair shop could help me out just fine. I have not changed the tubes yet either, but obviously I should look into that soon enough. It's just a well built sturdy amplifier! // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 20+ years and I'm satisified with my Engl Fireball, It can sound quite brittle at times, depending on your settings and the room, just have to watch out with your EQ setup. Maybe its just my amp head, but I'm not very satisfied with the FX loop and my Boss noise gate combination! If it were stolen I would either buy the same one again with a built in noise gate, or buy a EVH 50W head. If you need good tone, good cleans and more than enough distortion for any type of situation, this is the amp for you. If you need 4 channels and lots of options run away! // 9

More Engl reviews rating category latest review
+ E 530 Tube Preamp 8.6 Guitar Amplifiers 04/03/2013