EP-800 Review

7.3
 5.3
review (1) 23 comments vote for this gear:
EP-800 Reviewed by: charlie__flynn, on december 26, 2008

Features: This amp was bought used and is very old, in the sellers house he showed me black and white photos of him gigging with it quite a while back. it's a 25W solid state practise amp essentially with one channel and volume, gain and 3 band EQ, a headphone jack too. I bought this amp for bedroom play and quick practise which it is definately loud enough for, but not loud enough to compete with a drummer. One of my favourite things about this amp is the Vintage yellow and brown tweed covering with nothing too flashy, it looks great. // 7

Sound: I am using a Vintage VS6 (SG copy) with this amp and was hoping to get a good classic rock crunch and smooth blues tones. The distortion on the amp is too smooth for a crunchy AC/DC type sound, and I would not say it has the best distortion ever. The cleans are fine, not dazzling but not awful and it does not crackle at higher volumes. It's tough to get a great sound out of the amp, but I find with the gain at about 3/4 and the bass up with the treble reasonably low you get a close clapton-esque 'woman tone'. If you want to play metal or hard rock I would not reccomend this amp. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This amp is old, I mean really old and has been thrown around, kicked about, stood on and dropped and there has been not a single thing gone wrong. The pots and knobs are plastic but have never come loose or wrong, as with the jacks. If it were loud enough and had a better sound I would gig with this amp without a back up definately. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a range from metal to jazz and have been playing for 4/5 years, unfortunately this amp cannot keep up with all the different styles and only really excells at at a soft blues tone. If this was stolen I would save up more money and get a better amp, one I could gig with and one that's better than my main Line 6 spider amp. The area I fault this amp is the sound, it just can't quite reach my expectations of a 'good' amp. However, if you are just starting playing I would definately reccomend this amp over other really awful, tinny sounding practise amps, it does have a fuller warmer tone than they do. // 6

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Paul Tribute Plus 8.8 Electric Guitars 11/05/2014