Galaxie 10 Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 10/30/2003 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Epiphone: Galaxie 10
10 Watt All-Tube Guitar Amp. True Class A vacuum tube circuitry. On/Off and Standby Toggle Switch, 10" Celestion Tube 10 speaker, Gain and Volume Controls and a 3-Band EQ.
 9.3
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Galaxie 10 Reviewed by: cndoman, on october 30, 2003

Purchased from: ebay dealer

Features: This is a 2003 Epiphone Galaxie 10 class a amp. Gain, volume, bass, middle, treble controls. 0 Watt 10inch speaker with standby. I found this quite by accident. I was in my local store when 2 of them arrived and all the guys were fooling with it. I was very surprised at how good this sounded, and at this price I'll bet it will be a hot xmas item. Reverb would be nice, but we're talking 200 bucks here. I went back the next day to buy it, and they had sold both of them. So a quick search online--most of the big houses--MF etc, were back ordered-- and I came up with one. $199.00 and I got them to throw in the shipping. If you never had an all tube amp, this is a good place to start. 10 watts is very loud in your house, although it's not enough to gig with. The sound is very smooth and clean, the gain overdrives well, but this is no metal amp. I put a Zoom pd-01 in front of it and it sounded great. // 10

Sound: I am a player/collector of Les Pauls, so I don't know how it sounds with single coil guitars, but my gibsons sound great thru this. At bedroom volume its very well defined. With a Zoom 505II in front you can play all day and get any sound you want, I have never heard that box sound that good before. If you are a metal fan who has never played thru a class a amp, this will show you just where your chops are. There's no place to hide with an all tube. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It seems to be well made, I am not an Epiphone fan, but I don't forsee any problems. I guess you could gig with this if you miked it up. // 8

Overall Impression: My playing is mostly classic hard rock- zep, cream, trower, etc. I have been playing off and on for 30 years. I have owned a ton of different amps and guitars over the years. As I don't play out anymore, my main amp is a Line 6 210 spider. It has been awhile since i owned an all tube amp, so this is a nice complement to the Line 6. For 200 bucks I think everyone should have one of these. // 10

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Paul Tribute Plus 8.8 Electric Guitars 11/05/2014