So-Cal 50H Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 05/16/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Epiphone: So-Cal 50H
The Epiphone SO-CAL 50H features sublime tonal quality with quiet operation from DC-powered filaments and superb definition from a solid-state rectifier. A unique EQ switch lets you choose between independent treble and bass vs. treble that rolls off the bass when boosted and vice-versa.
 Features: 8.3
 8.6
 8.7
 8.4
reviews (3) pictures (3) 13 comments vote for this gear:
So-Cal 50H Reviewed by: REFFRY, on august 25, 2008

Price paid: € 430

Purchased from: maydrums.de

Features: This series seems to be pretty unknown, so lots of even big musicstores haven't even heard of this one. But I can't understand why. Selectable 50W class AB (pentode mode) or 25W class AB (triode mode). The preamps-tubes are five 12AX7 tubes and the power tubes are two EL 34 tubes. It has a 3-way EQ and two channels (a clean and an overdrive one). It has 4, 8 and 16 ohm outputs, so that every speaker can be plugged in. There is a footswitch for the channels, but I don't have it. This model was made in 2006 in China. It weights 41,9 lbs. // 9

Sound: I've just played it with my guitar (Epiphone SG), but the sound it produces is f--king amazing. I play mostly rock, punk, blues and some metal. The clean channel gives a great bluesy sound and the overdrive channel makes a really good rock sound. For metal it's not the perfect amp, but it's not build for that. But for every other music I play, it's really great. And the best of all is it's versatility, which comes from the EQ, which makes on the clean channel a sound range from really soft pop to very bluesy and on the overdrive channel from bluesrock to hardrock. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Cause I have this amp for just 2 month, I can't say much to reliability, but it seems pretty tough. And if there problems Epiphone seems to be accommodating for what I've heard because I never needed it till now. // 9

Overall Impression: For less than 500 dollars or 400 euros it's the best all-tube head I've ever seen and played. The sound is versatile and really good. It's the first tube-amp I've bought, but others I played didn't reach this one. So I can just recommend this one. // 10

So-Cal 50H Reviewed by: Skylar W., on may 16, 2012

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: I'll just get this out there first and foremost, I am a rock and metal guitar player. I go anywhere from Anthrax to Burzum to Periphery to Devourment in my playing regime. You may be wondering, why would a rock and metal guitarist want a lower gain tube amp? Well, a few reasons. 1) the clean channel is absolutely stunning, 2) the variable 50W/25W power switch is a very neat feature, 3) it's super simple to use, and 4) it takes pedals VERY well. The amp has all the generic features like bass, middle, treble, gain, reverb, and presence, but it also has a really cool contour control that can bring you from a really dark tone to a more bluesy tone by just turning the knob up a bit. Additionally, it has a switch for an independent and interactive EQ, which changes the tonal qualities drastically. There is a clean channel and a dirty channel, very simply put. However, there is no effects loop on the amp which a slight inconvenience. The gain tones on the amp alone are so-so in my opinion as it has a very loose and muddy tonal quality, which is basically how it's supposed to sound, but it just doesn't satisfy my needs. But when I run my DOD Supra Distortion pedal in the front with the gain on the amp at about 60% and the gain on the pedal at just over 10%, it sounds so much tighter and defined and it still keeps the tube warmth and feel which is very nice. The day I got this amp, I went out to the local pawn shop to see if I could get any cheap, cheap distortion/FX pedals and I found the FAB Metal distortion pedal and that DOD Supra Distortion - got 'em both for a grand total of $40. Before I ramble too much, I'm just going to conclude by saying that if you want this amp and you play heavier stuff, it takes to pedals very well. Just a little bit about the cab, while I'm at it. To my knowledge it has Eminence Lady Luck speakers in it and it is a 16 Ohm cab, that's about all I know of the technicalities of it. All in all, sounds amazing especially considering I got the whole stack for $400. // 8

Sound: My two main guitars are a B.C. Rich Chuck Schuldiner Stealth with a DiMarzio X2N tuned to D standard, and an Agile Intrepid 930 9 string tuned standard (C#-F#-B-E-A-D-G-B-E). Like I said, I play heavier stuff and when I boost the overdrive, it sounds amazing. I can get super tight distortion with the DOD pedal boosting the Drive channel, or I can get that sludgy stoner-doom sound when I boost the clean channel with the FAB pedal. Not noisy on it's own, which is good, but noisy with pedals. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Haven't had it long enough. // 5

Overall Impression: With my distortion pedals, the thing is amazing. Super warm sounding, loud when I want it to be, just flat out amazing. And the clean channel channel is absolutely amazing in itself. Been playing about 3 years and this is the only amp I have currently along with the two fore mentioned guitars. Would buy another. Amazing for it's price range. // 9

So-Cal 50H Reviewed by: S_L_A_S_H, on november 09, 2009

Features: This amp was made in 2009, it has two channels and a good Switch pedal with a reverb button. This baby is an all tube 50w half stack for a great price. I play Thrash Metal and Grunge the amp it's self has more of a AC/DC type sound to it, so I went off and got a Boss Metal Zone, now I can play all sorts off stuff. It also has a power switcher thing to take the amp from 50w to 25w. // 8

Sound: I usually use my Epiphone Standard (with EMG 60&81) and I can get a really nice Master Of Puppets tone really easily and I have hit the Welcome Home (Sanitarium)intro sound (lol it took me 5 minutes)with that reverb and a chorus pedal = awesome. This thing is not noisy at all even on 7(don't have the balls to take it to 10 XD) because this thing is reallly loud. I have only played on little 25/30w solid state amps and this just rules! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Hmm for Reliability & Durability since I have only had it for a short time but I just know that this baby is tougher than a Panzer Tank. But I would gig with a backup because im riddled with problems when I gig. (Mics dont work, Efx Pedal doesnt work, one of the drummers skins break.) // 10

Overall Impression: If this were stolen or lost I would track down the person responsible and torture them with my terrible playing with this cranked to the max. My favorite feature would have to be... The whole damn thing! It just kicks ass, just for all the people out there that say go buy a Mark IV or get a 505 or whatever well in your country there like $900, here in Australia 505 is $4k... BTW I also compared this amp to all the amps in the price range (MG100, Line 6 HD75 and a bunch of combos) I have to say that I liked this one the best. I love this amp // 10

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ 50th Anniversary 1961 SG Special P90 Limited Edition 8.1 Electric Guitars 09/01/2014
+ Worn Dot Studio 8.2 Electric Guitars 08/08/2014