Valve Special Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 08/17/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Epiphone: Valve Special
Its a single channel 5 watt Class A tube amp, it has a 10 inch speaker and a seperate reverb, all chicken head knobs.
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Valve Special Reviewed by: Rob_b_543, on august 17, 2009

Purchased from: Andertons music co.

Features: Its a single channel 5 watt Class A tube amp, it has a 10 inch speaker (which is not great, I replaced it with a celestion and it gave it a much better sound and tonal range. It has gain and master volume controls, 3 band eq, DSP effects (with an input for a footswitch to turn them on/off) and a seperate reverb, all Chicken head knobs. It also has an 8 ohm min speaker output. Oh and it weighs a ton. // 7

Sound: I use an Ibanez S470 with it, and I play blues, rock, metal and everything inbetween. It's a very warm sounding amp, it's prettymuch impossible to get any kind of good twang or treble sound out of it without pedals. The natural overdrive on it is really nice, it can do blues and classic rock but not much heavier than that, however it doesn't get much clean headroom on its own (i use a compressor pedal to boost it a bit). Its not particularly noisy Its not great but its no problem. The reverb on it is good, the DSP effects are fairly useless, too noisy and not enough control. Eq on it works well enough. Like I said before I replaced the speaker to get a better sound out of it, and also hook it up to a Marshall 1965b cab which brings out the treble a bit better. Also this amp loves pedals, it responds incredibly well and obviously it increases the tone possibilitys by alot. Using my overdrive pedals it can get some rly nice lead and metal tones out of it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had any problems with it so far, it's built pretty solid, like I said it weighs alot(looks good too). It's got metal caps on all the corners to protect the tolex. Something in the back plate was buzzing slightly when the amp was turned up high but I took that off anyway because I prefer the sound. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 4 years, I quite a few pedals with this amp (Marshall ED-1, Ibanez TS7, DigiTech screaming blues, Ibanez TC7, Ibanez EC40, Marshall Vt-1 and a Vox Wah) It makes a good practice amp on its own but IMO pedals make it so much better and more useable. Its loud enough for jamming with drums and other guitars etc. When I bought it I was looking for a cheap tube amp, I chose this one because it seemed to have the best features for the price, and I stand by my decision. If it were lost or stolen and I was going to get an amp in this price range again then I would definately buy this one again. Overall its a good amp, I'm happy with it, I wish there was a bit more clean headroom and it responded to the treble a bit better but for the price it is excellent. // 8

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ DR-500ME 7 Acoustic Guitars 07/16/2014