57 Mini Twin Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 08/27/2007 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Fender: 57 Mini Twin
The Mini 57 Twin-Amp captures the vibe of '50s era Fender. For the player who can't afford a real or reissue tweed amp, this lets them buy their piece of Fender history!
 8.1
 9.3
 6.9
review (1) 16 comments vote for this gear:
57 Mini Twin Reviewed by: Tele.Player.92, on august 27, 2007

Features: Features two 3" speakers, 1 watt of solid state power, runs off a single 9v battery or a power supply. Dimensions: 170 x 130 x 75 mm. Also has 1/4" guitar input jack and a 1/4" headphone jack. The amp has 4 very cool mini-chicken head knobs: volume, tone, drive, on/off. This version (the '57 Mini Twin) has a "wooden" cabinent covered in real tweed, whereas the mini Twin has a plastic cabinent, or so I believe. The "wood" is just chipwood, but it's wood never-the-less. Other very cool features include a Vintage looking speaker cloth and a real leather handle with metal handle ends. This amp looks stunning, the attention to detail is superb and I would have been happy to pay $50 just to have this thing sitting on my desk as a novelty/ornament. But amazingly, it actually plays! It has 1 channel (as if you would even expect more) that can be nicely overdriven, but more on that later. // 8

Sound: I am using a Fender Telecaster on it and it suits my music style really well which is Jazz, Blues and sometimes Indie rock and regular rock. It seems versatile but I do not play metal and stuff so how would I know? I am sure it would be alright because the clean breaks up after 3 or 4 which is the standard with the mini amps and goes into sort of a bluesy crunch then after 6, you can go into more brutal stuff but we can't forget about the gain knob which can make it even more brutal. And amazingly the tone knob actually shapes the tone! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well, this is a fully functioning toy! A good toy maybe but a toy nonetheless and you will not be able to gig with it even if it is mic'ed but it is great if you are in a music class at school and the other asshole guitarists nick the bigger amps or playing by yourself in a room. it is fantastic. // 9

Overall Impression: I think this amp rocks for what it is needed for but like I said it is not a gigging amp! I use an Epiphone Valve Standard for that which is 15 watt All tube and plug it into a Kustom Sienna 60 for an extra bit of good ss power like I said it suits me perfectly and there is nothing I would want more! if it was lost I would buy a new one easily and maybe start a collection of mini amps! // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Hot Rod DeVille 410 8.6 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014