'65 Deluxe Reverb Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 05/15/2013 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Fender: '65 Deluxe Reverb
For rock, country or blues players that want a moderately powered amp they can crank up on the gig or in the studio. The fat, snappy guitar tones heard on many of our favorite recordings, from "Memphis" to "Abbey Road", were made using the Deluxe.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Features: 8.5
reviews (6) pictures (3) 19 comments vote for this gear:
'65 Deluxe Reverb Reviewed by: thejester, on september 22, 2005

Purchased from: American Musical Supply

Features: This is a 2005 model and it was purchased in April. This amp has the most crystal clear cleans I have ever heard. This is a two channel amp, clean & vibrato. It comes with a footswitch to enable or disable the vibrato or reverb. I use every feature this amp has to offer. At times I wish it had a distortion channel to switch on like a Marshall when I am playing softly but I am running a Boss BD-2 for that purpose. This is tube amp with 22w and a 12" speaker. This is perfect when I go to open mics and really can scream. // 9

Sound: I play this amp through my SRV signature and it couldnt be a better combination. I mostly play blues and blues/rock. If you want to get crystal clear tones I would highly recomend this amp. I would also recomend this for use with a Fender guitar. This amp has a little noise when the vibrato is turned on but besides that it is very quiet. The clean channel remains clean with that natural tube break-up at higher volumes which most musicians desire. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This would be the perfect gig amp. I believe I could strongly depend on this amp for live performances. The team at Fender did an awesome job on this reissue. I baby this thing and it takes care of me when I play it. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a perfect amp for blues and anything where you need a clean sound. As I am more rock based I will inevitably get my Marshall TSL for the distortion aspect but I would split amps and run this for the cleans. Marshall will never have the cleans of a Fender amp and that is why I chose this one. I have had no problems with this amp and love the vibrato & reverb channel. The only thing I don't like is that this amp suits only one style, but it suits that style very very well. // 9

'65 Deluxe Reverb Reviewed by: Artemis Entreri, on june 17, 2011

Features: Pretty standard as far as your Vintage styled Fender amps go. Two channels, one with volume treble and bass and one with the same while adding reverb and "vibrato". The second channel also has a bright cap on it, adding a bit of shimmer to it. It's truly all tube (including the rectifier), 22 watts with two 6v6 power tubes, 3 12AX7s preamp tubes and 3 12AT7s for the reverb and vibrato. They come stock with a 5Y3 rectifier tube but I have since switched to a 5V4. I play anywhere from blues to funk, classic rock, jazz, old school metal and even some modern metal and it suits all of those needs, especially with the assistance of an OD pedal. I use the amp in my bedroom, my dorm room, my home studio, in the studio and when I'm playing live, it gets quite a lot of use. No matter what venue I play in it fills the room just right. Unmiked I can really let it rip and even when it's put in front of a mic I can get nice saturated tube tone out of it without deafening the audience in front of me. I only wish it had an effects loop! But this is true of the original blackface models as well so you can't expect the 65 RI to have one. // 8

Sound: The Deluxe Reverb is one of, if not the most recorded amp in history, nearly every studio in the world has at least one. I think that speaks for itself, however, this is the 65 Reissue, not a 65 Blackface. The sound quality of the Deluxe is incredible. The clean sound can be swept anywhere from FAT, round clean tones to shrill, biting ones. And as it's modeled after an old Fender, to get the overdrive you have to turn it up. That overdrive is where this amp truly shines. No matter what guitar I run into in, the tone is uniquely Deluxe though the guitar's various characteristics do Shine through. The overdrive is sweet, singing and sustainful, everything you would expect. When run flat out with a pair of HOT buckers this amp can ALMOST reach metal territory. It certainly would do Page or Iommi justice though it excels at providing Stevie-esque tones. The amp starts to break up around 4 with humbuckers and more around 6 with single coils. Additionally, the reverb and "vibrato" are very luscious. The reverb in particular is extremely powerful and when the amp is running HOT I rarely have it above 2 or so. It can be swept anywhere from a slight bit of "room" to the absurdly reverb'd sound of surf music from the 50's. I rarely use the vibrato but it never fails me. The amp does have a little bit of basic hum, even with the volume on 0 and nothing plugged in but it is in fact,a tube amp. Even when recorded at low volumes the hum doesn't cause any trouble. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I feel this amp is quite durable and reliable, I never bring a backup with me. However, it does seem to eat tubes, power tubes in particular. I always play on 10 and control everything through my guitar, regardless of what I'm trying to do and that wears the left tube out more quickly than the right. To add a little life I usually swap them after about 4 months. The amp has never failed me aside from the occasional blown tube which I've come to expect running a PRS through it. // 10

Overall Impression: This is as close to my holy grail amp as I can get without going vintage. I wouldn't change a thing about it, she's a gem. Had I the money I would probably pick up a blackface pro reverb or deluxe but for $1000 new this is THE amp. Not only is it phenomenal on it's own, the way I generally use it, it's a fantastic base for pedals of all sorts, even without an effects loop. I run both a PRS and a Strat through it to equal success though the PRS tends to overdrive it a little bit too soon. I've never run a guitar through it which didn't Shine and come alive. Were it stolen I would do everything in my power to purchase another one just like it. // 10

'65 Deluxe Reverb Reviewed by: lespaul#1, on september 17, 2008

Features: This is a new 2008 amp, but it sounds like an original. Basically, this amp can do surf perfectly, blues that'll make you cry, or classic rock that'll make you jump. It also does country add an OD or distortion and it does metal perfectly. It has two channels, normal which has better bass response, and Vibrato, which is brighter and more trebly. I use it for bedroom practice, which I can barely turn it up to 3. At a gig, it can be used, and I was a bit concerned about the headroom, but when the reverb is cranked, it sounds very clean. It runs on two 6V6s, two 12AT7s, and 4 12AX7s. // 10

Sound: It's used exclusively with a Strat, and it is very bright. For surf, this is the best amp, along with the twin and super. It has no feedback. It can do perfect surf, awesome blues and rock, country, and '50s rock. Once it gets to 5, it starts breaking up with the sweet tube overdrive. The overdrive is thick enough to play some ACDC, but I plan on buying an OD, just to save the tubes, and for when I can't crank it, which does cause a headache after a while. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would gig without a backup, mostly because I don't have one, but I probably wouldn't anyway. It's never broken down, and the tube guard on the back protects it from direct hits. The reason I gave it a 9 is because the tube guard is kind of flimsy, however, it would take like a direct kick to break it. // 9

Overall Impression: This is perfect for surf and blues. If it was stolen, I would stalk the person who stole it and torment him, JK, I would hunt him down though. The only difference between this and the Super is the headroom. The Deluxe's 22 watts are 78% as loud as the Super, basically, except for the lower heardroom, they're the same. However, this amp is 20 pounds lighter, and it has one speaker, but it's a great one. // 10

'65 Deluxe Reverb Reviewed by: jamesr, on february 04, 2010

Purchased from: online

Features: The Fender 5 Deluxe Reverb Combo Delivers 22W through a 12" speaker. Features 2 channels (normal, vibrato), all-tube circuitry, tube vibrato, tube spring reverb, Blackface cosmetics, and 2-button footswitch. This amp lacks a Bright switch which is a big deal if you want to use distortion pedals. // 5

Sound: I play an American Stratocaster and use a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde V2 for my overdrive/distortion. This combination sounds great through my Blues Deluxe. Right from the initial note I knew I was not going to like this Amp. Compared to my blues deluxe it sounded sterile and boxy. It was very tight sounding and clean, but lacked the bass that my Blues Deluxe has. But overall for clean tone this amp does sound nice. The reverb is great, and the vibrato sounds great also. There is a small ticking when the vibrato is switched on. I never had an amp with vibrato so that was unexpected and is loud enough to be annoying on stage when miced. So next I hooked up my pedal board, and I expected great things since my blues deluxe sounded great with pedals. No such luck, this am sounds terrible with distortion pedals! Even the over Drive had a buzzing/fizzy sound. It also did it in the normal channel but not as bad. I guess this is due to the bright cap on the vibrato channel. So you are stuck with either voiding the warranty or using the normal channel. Well at that point you either have a Deluxe reverb without reverb, or a $1000 amp with no warranty. This is just very cheap poor design by Fender. They should have added a bright switch for the extra 50 cents. // 4

Reliability & Durability: It does have a 5 year Warranty and seems well built. I have a local Fender dealer that services all their equipment and it is real nice dealing in person with repairs. I have always got great service from Fender. I have not seen or heard of any problems with these amps online. This is one of the longest made models of an manufacturer. // 10

Overall Impression: I bought this amp to replace my Blues deluxe. I decided to do this upgrade after reading how bad my Blues deluxe was on countless forums. I also liked the Idea of moving to an American made Amp. Having owned a lot of Fender Equipment over the years I always noticed a big jump in quality going from Mexican made to American made guitars. So I expect the same with this amp. I ordered it through the internet with a good return policy. When I opened the Amp I was instantly let down. The blues deluxe was much nicer cosmetically, and even was close in quality. I returned this and ended up buying an Mesa Boogie Electra Dyne 1x12 combo. Wow, the Mesa is night and day difference in sound and quality. It truly makes the deluxe reverb look and sound cheap. // 6

'65 Deluxe Reverb Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 07, 2011

Price paid: € 1248

Purchased from: Thomann

Features: This amp came in Wine Red with a different speaker than usual (Jensen P12Q). Wonderful amp! If you play this amp, you go back to the 60's! It has such a beautiful sound in it. It has 2 channels (normal and vibrato) with volume, bass, treble and on the vibrato you' ve got also reverb and vibrato. It' s a tone monster and excepts pedals excellent (Boss DD7 and Okko Diablo). // 9

Sound: I use a Fender Mark Knopfler guitar with texas special pickups in it and it sounds perfect! The amp sounds exactly the same as Knopfler's Tone King! I play most of the time Mark Knopfler with the fingerpicking technique and it is absolutely wonderful! I hear no difference. I also play Pink Floyd, SRV, CCR, Eric Clapton and many more! The amp always sound good. I found out that the standard Deluxe Reverb reissue sounds cold, shrill and harsh. This one with the P12Q speaker sounds perfect. If you have played 100 hours + the speaker becomes better and better. Absolutely no cold, shrill or harsh sound, just like the original which I have tried. The amp is not noisy at all but if you have the vibrato on it makes a little noise but not much. You can play every music style (except metal) and it will sounds always good. The amps stays clean until volume 5 and then it becomes a different amp. A smooth and perfect overdrive sound. At higher volume (7 +) it becomes a little harsh. This speaker sounds best at low/medium volumes (until 6) For the Floyd sound I use a Okko Diablo pedal and this combination is perfect! For a good impression I recommend to listen to Gregor Hilden on Youtube. For fingerpicking (ala Mark Knopfler) I set the treble at 5, 5 bass at 6, 5, volume 4, 5 reverb 0 and use my Boss DD7. For stuff with a pick usually I set the treble at 3, 5, bass 5, 5 and reverb at 3. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have bought it in February 2011 and since then it has never broken down. I play every guitar at home and every week I have to practice with my band. It' s just a perfect amp. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm 17 and I am playing guitar since I was 6 years old. I have got also 2 acousic Gibsons. If you have to perform on stage I recommend to use a good microfoon and you always have a good sound. I am very happy with my amp and I never sell it. If you want that glassy Fender tone, this is the amp. Many people are looking for their own perfect tone that they will never found. If you like the old Fenders but you can' t afford them, this is the deal! // 9

'65 Deluxe Reverb Reviewed by: Gtrman247, on may 15, 2013

Features: My amp was made in 2006 and I purchased it in like new condition in 2010. The dual channels (clean & vibe/reverb) are spot on for those Fender tube tones that have been gracing the music world since the '50s. Up until 2010, I had played in the same band for the previous 12 years. At that time, I was adamant about using 4x10 amps and minimal pedals (two tube screamers & a Vintage Vox wah). Since the breakup of that band, I've found myself playing across a vast range of genres and have had to revamp my setup. One of the things I had to undergo was a massive expansion of my effects setup and I've now incorporated 12 pedals onto my board not including volume and tuner pedals (wah, boost, tube screamer, distortion, fuzz, vibe, tremolo, phase, octave up, octave down, delay, reverb). If you're used to using a native distortion channel, you might miss that feature in this amp but since I'm already a pedal guy, I don't. And on that note, one must remember that this amp was designed back in the early '60s and originally released in 1964 when distortion was still a fairly new concept, hence the lack of a built-in distortion channel. That said, a lot of people say that this amp has trouble taking pedals... Tell that to Trey Anastasio & the ghost of Hendrix. ;) // 10

Sound: I'm by nature, a single coil player. I spent many of my "early" years playing a Gibson SG and still play it through this amp on occasion. Most often I'm playing Fenders (strats & teles) on blues, jazz, rock, soul, and country... Honestly, this amp is perfect for all genres and all guitars. I do recommend tweaking the eq when going from single coil to humbuckers, but other than that you can plug in and go! I love good thick low end (that's what she said) and this amp certainly delivers which maintaining amazingly sparkling highs and mids (even without a mid control). 22 watts is the perfect amount as the amp starts to break up right around 5 which is perfect volume for most clubs. I always carry a Sennheiser E609 just in case I need to bring it out in the mix a bit more. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a very dependable amp as I've used it for 3 years (bearing in mind that it was used before I owned it) and it still hasn't broken down yet. That being said, if you neglect your gear, it will break down. Don't blame it on the gear. I keep the dust cover on this when I'm not using it and I don't do many out of town gigs with it yet as I'm still saving for a quality road case. I have played tons of gigs with it and I never take a backup because of how reliable this thing is. The only other amp in my experience to come close in terms of reliability is (believe it or not) my Peavey Classic 50 4x10. I've owned that for 15 years with absolutely no maintenance and no breakdowns... But that's a topic for another thread. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 17 years and gigging for about 14 of them. I've learned a lot about gear and I've really gotten serious about tone only in the last few years. Before that it was about technique and skills. Even when tone wasn't a priority for me, Fender amps were in the forefront of every musical environment I have come across. Now, they're a mainstay of my tone. I've seen a lot of reissue haters out there who have probably never tried one because of their love affair of all things Vintage and I share some of that sentiment. I've gotten the opportunity to play and own some Vintage Fenders, and the DRRI holds its ground against those amps with no problem. The reason for that is because tonally speaking, new Fender amps are still among the best in the business, bar none! If you have the opportunity to try one out, definitely do so! // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Jazzmaster - Lee Ranaldo Signature 8.6 Electric Guitars 12/19/2014