Bassman 100 Review

9.8
 9.5
review (1) pictures (3) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Bassman 100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 17, 2010

Features: Technically, not a guitar amplifier, but I felt it should be included as more and more guitarists are discovering this brute. My head was manufactured in 1975. Silverface appearance. Two channels, bass and normal. Bass channel has volume, bass and treble. Normal channel has volume, bass, middle and treble. Also has a master volume. Tubes are four 6L6's and three 12 ax7 preamp tubes, one preamp for each channel and one phase inverter. For what it does, it is simple, direct and to the point. I like that. If I want all sorts of bells and whistles, there are plenty of amps that provide that. // 9

Sound: I use Vintage strats, tele's, an old SG and LP Standard. Play mostly classic rock and blues with a little country. I use two 2X12 Avatar cabinets with this with two Celestion Vintage 30's in each. It has been recently serviced in that new caps were installed, pots cleaned, two sockets replaced due to age. This thing is flat out ear bleeding loud. If you're looking for some breakup at less than ear splitting volumes, this won't cut it. It has more headroom than the Capital dome, which makes it excellent for pedals. I use a Radial Tonebone Plexi pedal, along with delay, chorus and reverb pedals. It is, without doubt, the cleanest amp I've ever played through. With two closed back cabs, it cuts, but it is smooth, sweet and full. If the 100 watts is too much, pull two tubes and you've got yourself down to roughly 50 watts, which is more manageable. I've also run this with two yellow jackets el84's at around 20 watts. No noise what so ever. Absolutely quiet. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank. Safe to say, it has had more beer poured down in that I care to remember and has been used as a doorstop, been dropped, been knocked over to the floor, and it just keeps on running. Has never, ever failed me on a gig except for when a tube went harmonic on me, but that isn't the amps fault. It is a clean, efficient design, parts are available for it everywhere. Easy to maintain, easy to fix, and having the head separate from the cab allows easier transport than a full twin. // 10

Overall Impression: No matter what you play, from jazz to r&B to rock to metal, this is a powerhouse willing to push any cab up to its sonic limits. Only thing limiting this would be the player. Can be had relatively cheap on ebay for $400 or so, which is great for a head of this caliber. You'll want an amp tech to go through it and replace anything worn, which would run you about another $100 in parts and labor, but it's worth it. I have this, a '67 Bassman 50 I also use, and a Fender Blues Deluxe for smaller gigs. Gotta love 'em. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Classic '50s Stratocaster 8.8 Electric Guitars 07/28/2014