Blues Junior III Review

reviews (2) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Blues Junior III Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 04, 2011

Price paid: A$ 890

Purchased from: Guitars Paradist

Features: This review is for the Blues Junior III, made last year in Mexico. I play many different genres and artists, think Hendrix, SRV, a bit of Led Zep and more modern stuff, Muse, RHCP, Santana and RATM. This is a straightforward tube amp features one channel, a fat switch, EQ knobs like you'd expect and spring reverb. This amp is used at home, band practice and the occasional church gig. At home it never goes beyond 3-4 on the volume with the master on max and easily keeps up with a drummer, no problems at all. // 8

Sound: I currently play through it with a Fender 72 Telecaster Deluxe fitted with the stock 'Wide Range' Humbuckers and occasionally my 'treble-happy' HSS Squier Strat. To start of with I'll explain the cleans. The cleans are really anything you could expect with a Fender amp. Sparkly, lively cleans with a smooth bass. Absolutely perfect for playing. Anything that's clean. This amp is one channel but is still able to 'drive' without cranking up the volume. Just push the master volume lower and crank the volume up. This provides a bluesy type Drive that nails those SRV tones eg. Texas flood. In order to get those other tones I just lay my MXR GT-OD pedal over it which provides rich, smooth distortion. The "fat" switch is also handy which helps Drive the amp sooner and thickens up your tone, especially useful for those single-coils. TBH this amp does feedback quite some with the amp cranked and pedal engaged although when playing clean it is SILENT. This amp has alot of headroom. The loudest I've put it is five and it was only slightly EDGING breakup. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would always have a backup regarding a tube amp. Rule of thumb. I've had this for 3-4 weeks and noticed a slight buzzing noise. Almost sounds like bells. Forums have found this common on Blues Juniors. Hope to get it checked out sometime soon. The tubes in it are doing great and smell amazing. Like all tube amps. Feels solid and has jump around my car boot a couple of times while I crapped myself. Luckily it came out perfectly fine. Very sturdy. 7 Cos of the buzz. Would have been a 9 without it. // 7

Overall Impression: My styles are anything from blues to edging hard rock. Definitely not metal. And TBH if your looking for a metal amp, look away. I've been playing for 8 years with lessons and own 2 classical guitars, an Alhambra and a Valencia, a steel string acoustic; Yamahama Compass series CPX-10, and two electrics as stated before; 72 Tele Deluxe and an Affinity Squier HSS Strat. What I love is the cleans, its breakup, handy "fat" switch and its ability to take pedals and the reverb which is glorious. On the contrary to this I dislike that darn buzzing. And, nothing else really. // 9

Blues Junior III Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 05, 2012

Purchased from: Crazy Dave's Music

Features: I bought this amp in November of 2011 as a Christmas gift to myself! So far it has been a great combo amp for small to medium gigs and such. I usually play Christian Rock and Classic Rock and both are handled well by this amp. The amp has one channel with a volume and master volume. It has no effects loop or a headphone jack (I wouldn't ever use a headphone jack on a tube amp but whatever) I would've liked for the Blues Junior III to have had an effects loop because I do run a few effects through the amp but its not a major problem just to go straight in. It's really just a no frills 15 watt tube combo. // 9

Sound: I am using a Fender American Special Telecaster with Texas Special pickups going into an Ibanez TS9, a Catlinbread Semaphore Tremolo, a Dunlop Hi-Gain Volume Pedal, and a Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy Deluxe Delay. It can get a little noisy with unregulated power going into it and from standing really close to the amp. The amp gives amazing cleans (haven't found a tube Fender that didn't) and the breakup is nice. The distortion starts off subtle but with humbuckers it can get a little thick! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would trust my life with this amp (yeah I know its a tube amp) but as for reliability, its never given up on me! // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is a great match for my needs and in the 4 years I've been playing guitar this amp is the best overall amp I've found. If it was lost or stolen I would go out the next day and buy me another! I really love the simplicity of the three band EQ, the volume, and the master volume! The reverb is really sweet too! // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ '64 Bandmaster Head 9 Guitar Amplifiers 07/22/2014