Blues Junior NOS Review

9.1
 8.7
reviews (3) pictures (3) 8 comments vote for this gear:
Blues Junior NOS Reviewed by: StratPlayer15, on june 16, 2009

Features: The Fender Blues Jr NOS is just an amazing amplifier. For features, the amp has 3 12AX7 preamp tubes, and 2 EL84 Grove Tubes for the output. Three Band EQ, with Preamp, and Master volume knobs. Also, the amp has a footswitchable "FAT" button, which is basically a treble boost for solos, and not to mention that sweet Fender reverb. The thing that sets the NOS model, apart from the standard Blues Junior is the upgraded Jenson speaker, and the classic Tweed finish. The amp is also rated at 15 watts, which is loud enough for me. // 10

Sound: The amp is called a Blues Junior for a reason, it's just great for blues playing. I play a lot of Clapton, SRV, Hendrix and this amp is perfect for achieving their sound. The amp can get amazing cleans, by lowering the preamp, and tweaking the EQ. Most people steer away from buying a Blues Junior, because it's not well suited for distorted rock, or Metal. it's not meant to play those genres anyway, but I can deffinatly play some good 60's and 70's rock with the preamp up. Also, it takes effects really well. I own a Boss Chorus, and a TS9 Tubescreamer and the amp takes them extremely well. Good thing about the NOS model, is the Jenson speaker which to my ears has a better bottom end than the standard blues jr, I tried out at Guitar Center. Also, I'm playing it with an MIM Stratocaster. Strat + Blues Jr = Blues Heaven! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would gig with this amp, no questions asked. It is only a 12' speaker, but I would mic it if I needed too. Personally, with any tube combo amp, I'm very gentle as far as taking it anywhere, I'm sure if I dropped it, or banged it against the wall, it may cause some damage, but if you treat this amp with care you should be fine. // 8

Overall Impression: This amp is a match made in heaven for me. It's absolutly great for the Blues, and overall clean tones. If your like me and enjoy blues, jazz, and funk then this amp is deffinatly for you. Some people don't think buying the NOS model over the standard blues jr is such a good idea, I highly recommend going to your local music store and trying both out. For the extra $74, all you are getting is an upgraded Jenson speaker, with a tweed finish, but when I tried both out, I prefered the NOS. Yet, everybody has different opinions and preferences when it comes to amps, so as with any amp, you have to try before you buy. // 10

Blues Junior NOS Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 22, 2007

Features: I bought the tweed NOS version with upgraded speaker and tubes. I play blues, rock, as well as jazz, funk, and folk. I use this for my SRV style stuff by turning bass and mids up with gain all the way. I have a TS9 with it and this allows for more versatility. The cleans and headroom are good, about loud enough for jamming while cranking it yields enough for small gigs. The reverb is very nice and the fat switch adds some punch. The only thing it lacks is headphone out, maybe a standby option. // 9

Sound: As I said, the SRV sound from this amp is pretty good which is important to many people, but the playing technique (heavy attack, muting strings) is the most important thing. The reverb is awesome, from a little echo to full sounds nice and doesn't suck tone at all as do many FX. The tube distortion is a point of this amp that is extremelyscrutinized, it is very Fender-ish as opposed to Marshalls, I would recommend a nice Marshall tube for people seeking more of a rock sound, or using a TS-9 adds some crunch. Single coils are good with this, very saturated and thick sound as opposed to the humbuckers which can sound a bit too bright. The fat switch helps a bit for soloing, adds some sustain and mids, but nothing I couldn't live without. The EQ is responsive and the master/volume knobs work well together. Using the volume pot on your guitar is nice since you crank this amp on both knobs (it goes to 12) and lower the guitar knob to 2-3 for bedroom volume distortion. Very loud for practice, loud enough for practice in smaller bands (2-6) and good enough for gigging in clubs and stuff. The noise is very low, I keep it in like the worst spot ever, near electronics and it barely hums. The guitar is probably the source of any hum problems with it, but I have noiseless pickups, so it's silent. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I like the tweed, but the seams look glued on and could come loose if you screw with them much, also the backplate had a label on it which I peeled off and rubbed away the adhesive residue, and the junior part of the paint and the warning paint scratched away. The knobs are a little cramped, the fat switch is a little breakable, and the back is open for easy access as well as easy damage. The case is sturdy, the strap is thick leather (but very sharp edges on the strap) and the speaker and tubes are more durable than the standard. It could probably be cranked for a while before damaging the speaker. It is also rather heavy, but worth it compared to other amps of similiar power. // 7

Overall Impression: It is the right amp for me. I tried all other low watt tube combos, Epi VJ, Palomino, Champ, Pro Junior, but this one stood out. I got a deal on it so it was worth the extra $$$ for this one, but the standard BJ is just as good. I hear a little sound difference, but not worth the 80$ extra. If it were stolen, I'd buy another easily. This was the only amp I liked besides the Vox Valvetronix, but it blows it away in volume and tone. Look at the tweed NOS if you can, it'll probably last longer than the standard, but it's not worth much more IMO. // 10

Blues Junior NOS Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 30, 2010

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: The Blues Junior NOS has the same features as your normal black one, I find them simple yet sufficient, you don't want fancy digital effects, this is a no-nonesense tube amp, you hear what you play, and if you are any good it'll sound like heaven. The reason why I don't give it a ten is because a Standby swithc is really useful for tube amps and tube efficiency and you don't get the footsitch, but well nothing's perfect. // 8

Sound: I play this exclusively with my Epiphone Les Paul STD Plus top, I haven't changed anything except strings, Super Slinky's, but I will probably change the pups soon, but back on subject I really dig the sound I get, On bridge you get a nice dark and mmelow kind of sound, when I use both pups I get very good crispy cleans, and on bridge I get this twangy vibe that sets the mood for solo's. A friend played his MiM Tele on it and it was also beautiful, probably gonna save up for a tele. You might hear some crackling but it's just the tubes reacting to the electric signal entering them and on playing levels you won't hear it. You can get anything from some nice low volume cleans, overdirven ectasy blues, British invasion sounds, and if you push the pre amp to 12, yes it goes to 12 XD, you can get Zep, Black Sabbath and Depp Purple, I combine this with a Vintage Fender Distortion pedal, don't really know the model, a Boss Blues OD, and Ibanez weeping demon, so I can get a good variety combining these pedals, and the Fender pedal con push ti to evn a bit of a Maiden-esque sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would surely gig without a back-up, I've only had it for a few months, but no problems yet, and I've lugged it back and forth from band practice, so I fell pretty sure about this amp for a ggiging occasion. Been told that you can fill up a small club 150 people tops, and still get good cut throught the mix. Didn't rate it 10 beacuse I haven't had for too long. // 8

Overall Impression: Playing blues and classic rock, I couldn't have been happier, my sound has improved by lengths after going through 2 Marshall VT a 15 watt and a 40 watt, this thing is just truly on another level, after all it is a tube amp, so if you want creammy dreamy sound, dump the digital modeling and get a reall tube baby like this, you won't regret it. If anybody had the nerve to steal this baby, I would most certainly round up my pals, the big bad ones, find him and beat the crap out of him, and if I couldn't get it back, I would surely buy another, though it'd be difficult seeing it has been discontinued, again my only complaint was a stanby swithc, other than that this amp is a beauty. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Jaguar HH Special 8.2 Electric Guitars 11/12/2014