Champ 12 Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 01/09/2006 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Fender: Champ 12
It is an all-tube, 12 watt amp with 12" Fender speaker. It has 1 pre amp tube and two power amp tubes which sound great for the money. It has two channels, both clean and overdrive, bass and treble knobs, a mid booster, drive, and seperate volume knobs for each channel. It also has a nice built-in reverb that gives that classic Fender tone.
 7.6
 7.1
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Champ 12 Reviewed by: RPotts, on january 09, 2006

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I purchased a 1992 Fender Champ 12 on eBay recently. It is an all-tube, 12 watt amp with 1 12 inch Fender speaker. It has 1 pre amp tube and two power amp tubes which sound great for the money. It has two channels, both clean and overdrive, bass and treble knobs, a mid booster, drive, and seperate volume knobs for each channel. It also has a nice built-in reverb that gives that classic Fender tone. // 8

Sound: I play a 2004 American Fender Stratocaster with 3 single-coil pickups through a Line 6 Pod 2.0 which is a great combination for me. I either leave the amp on the clean channel and use the Pod for all of the effects or play straight through on the clean channel which sounds great, it is definitely the best part of the amp. The clean is smooth, round and thick on the neck pickup and bright and twangy on the bridge pickup. Theres no feedback even on single coils unless the coils are facing right at the amp. The drive channel is ok, but I don't notice any change in the sound as I change the drive knob and theres only two volume setting, quiet and loud. Not a lot of variety. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't gigged it so I can't say much in this area. It hasn't broken down, it's strong, but it's a 15 year old amp, and it shows signs of wear and tear. I probably need to get the tubes replaced, they're old. // 7

Overall Impression: It suits my style, classic rock mostly. I haven't been playing for wrong, but so far it's a good match with my guitar and effects, I like it. I really wished the knobs were more responsive, especially the volume and drive knobs, the drive has two settings, really, and the volume is quiet or loud. If it was stolen I'd look into a newer amp. I'd definitely stick to tube amps, the warm sound is great and the clean is amazing, but you definitely need a pedal or some effect for overdrive. // 8

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Hot Rod DeVille 410 8.6 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014