Champion 30 Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 10/03/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Fender: Champion 30
The clean on this, is your typical Fender sound, bright and clear, which is great for any style of music.
 8.4
 9.3
 7.5
review (1) pictures (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Champion 30 Reviewed by: jeffo46, on october 03, 2012

Purchased from: Private Dealer

Features: I just got this yesterday from a private dealer on Craig's List for 75 bucks. I checked out the serial number on Fender's website and it was made in 2000 in Mexico. It's a 2 channel 30 watt, solid state combo that has 1 Volume for each channel and Bass, Mid, Treble, and Reverb controls that are used for both channels. There are also a headphone and extension speaker jacks as well. It has a stock Fender 10" speaker and weighs in at 25 ibs. // 9

Sound: The clean on this, is your typical Fender sound, bright and clear, which is great for IMO, any style of music. Some people have complained about the Gain on Fender's solid state combos but I think they sound just fine and this amp is no exception. It's all in how you adjust your EQ settings and how the pickups on your guitar are adjusted IMO. For a 30 watt SS combo, this is one loud amp for sure. I only have the clean on 1 and the walls in my house are blasting. I'm using a DigiTech RP-50 with it along with my ESP LTD Viper 100-FM and this amp makes the both of them come across nice and clear. // 10

Reliability & Durability: For a 30 watt SS, this is one loud amp which I'm plenty sure could be used for a small club gig. Also, using my RP-50, gives it more of a boost as well, so I don't think volume would really be much of a issue here. Besides, it can always be miked. I checked this thoroughly before I got it and there are no issues with it, so I guess I got lucky. I know some of Fender's SS amps have a rep for not being too reliable but I think that's because some people tend to treat their gear like shit. That's just my opinion. // 9

Overall Impression: These are good practice / small gigging amps IMO, and can be gotten very, very cheaply, usually for under the $100.00 mark. They're much better than Fender's Frontman 25R Combos which are selling for 100 bucks right now and are cheaply made and sound crappy. If you're a beginner or on a low budget and want a amp that you can use at home, then you can't go wrong with one of these. Even though they're long discontinued, they're not very hard to find. // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Jazzmaster - Lee Ranaldo Signature 8.6 Electric Guitars 12/19/2014