EVH 5150 III 50W Head Review

review (1) pictures (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
EVH 5150 III 50W Head Reviewed by: Jason_GOBR, on february 11, 2014

Price paid: A$ 1249

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: The little brother of the EVH 5150 III 100W Head, it packs arena volume, tone and performance in a compact package. Can be used with with 1, 2 or 4 x 12" cabs and with it's 2 speaker outs it can even be set up to power 2 quad boxes at the same time.

Features:

- 3 channels, Channel 1 and 2 share EQ
- Master presence control
- Channel 1 and 2: gain, low, mid, high and volume controls
- Channel 3: gain, low, mid, high, volume and master resonance controls
- Selectable impedance (4, 8 or 16 ohms)
- 4 Button foot switch
- Accommodates MIDI footswitching

It could do with a built-in reverb but aside from that it's features are spot on. // 9

Sound: This amp is loud and sounds amazing played loud. However still sounds great at lower volumes. I mainly use it for gigs, recording & rehearsals but have no problem jamming it at home at lower volumes. It does have a headphone jack for people that are concerned about noise. I play many different genres of music and this amps sound accommodates for all of them.

Green Channel (CLEAN):

The clean sound on this amp is great, it's not the best cleans I've heard but it is in no way horrible. I use a delay and sonic maxi-miser in my effects loop, this seems improves the cleans tremendously. There is a volume jump but i like the dramatic jump from cruisy cleans to dirty distortions.

Blue Channel (HIGH GAIN):

Before buying the amp I thought the Red Channel (Super High Gain) would be my favorite but along with a huge amount of gain the blue channel has an incredibly warm sound. If this was the only channel on the amp I would still buy it purely for this channel. Along with sounding great it is very versatile and can be tweaked to suit/play any genre you care to.

Red Channel (SUPER HIGH GAIN):

MOTHER OF GAIN! Grab some Vasso because you are about to be f--ked in the ears and I say that in the best of ways. This channel still holds that warmth from the blue channel but then slams it with two tons of oh so much gain. If you can't handle the raw power behind the gain on this channel you can always scale back the gain knob for a beautiful crunchy distortion.

All and all the sound on this amp is top notch and if you can't tweak it to suit your style you need to go back to your bedroom amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The amp looks solid and I have yet to have any problems with it. I have played many gigs with it including one where I traveled interstate, on a plane, without a road case and it still plays just as good as the day I got it, maybe better, if that's even possible? The hardware and all the components inside look as if they will last. I have not had any problems nor has any I know that owns one. It is made by Fender and endorsed by Eddie Van Halen and I would not expect him to put his name behind something he didn't believe in. So far it's 10/10 from me but I did read of a couple of cases where bits had come loose. However I've read many more positive reviews then negative. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall the EVH 5150 III 50W Head is the best amp I have played in a long time. It is not hindered by it's size/wattage in any way and the only advantage I could see from getting the 100W version is it having more head room. I'm in a blues based groove/thrash metal band who play many shows around Australia and it works perfectly for me. However I do dabble into other genres especially when jamming by myself and let me tell you this amp has it covered. For me this was an important purchase and I spent a lot of time comparing different models and brands of amplification before deciding on this one. Ultimately the EVH 5150 III won out in all aspects including Sound, Features, Reliability & Price. I would not discourage anyone from buying this amp. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ American Telecaster Plus Deluxe Version II 8.2 Electric Guitars 10/07/2014