FM 212R Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 08/25/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Fender: FM 212R
The FM 212R combo matches Fender tone and reliability with 100 watts of juiced-up power being pushed through two new 12 Fender Special Design drivers.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Features: 7.9
 8.5
 7.4
reviews (31) pictures (1) 73 comments vote for this gear:
FM 212R Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 03, 2004

Purchased from: Zzounds

Features: This amp was made in 2004. This amp has 3 channels clean/drive/extra drive (solo), and has a footswitch included with the amp. I use this amp to practice with my band and to gig with them this amp has more than enough power for me. There is also a wide range of distortions avalable with the mid contour switch, mostly for heavy metal. This amp only has reverb for effects and the reverb is awesome. // 10

Sound: I use this with a Fender stat and squire affinity strat, with humbuckers and single coils, this amp has awesome and versital distortion brutal or loving and is great for any type of music blues to classic rock or reggae to heavy metal to Nu metal. Hardly any noise with any guitar, but on the extra drive channel the is a little bit whivh is fine if you just use it as a solo channel. The clean channel is awesome and holds its ground at any volume or setting without distortion with ease. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Fuck, I would take this thing to hell and back and it would still work, I would take this thing anywhere without a backup and this has never broken down but has a 5 year warrenty if it does. // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play punk and this amp has the balls plus some to play it perfectly. If this amp was stolen I'd find who did it and beat the fuck out of them and if I didn't find them I would definitely buy another one without even blinking. I love every thing about it and wouldn't change a single thing, and there is nothing more or less it could have to make it better, if your just starting to jam with a band or have been gigging with a band for 10 years I would definitely reccomend this amp to you, I mean 300 dollars for a monster like this with a 5 year warranty this should be against the fucking law. // 10

FM 212R Reviewed by: SkaJon, on october 12, 2009

Purchased from: Music Arts Enterprises

Features: Fender FM 212R made in china 2004, bought in 2008 from Music Arts Enterprises in Ft Lauderdal. Features- 100 watts Solid State, two channels, clean and Drive, independent tone controls and volume controls for each channel. Built in gain/volume boost (More Drive), Effects loop, footswitch, master spring reverb, two 12 inch speakers, Line out. No effects or DSP. Simple but effective, honestly I use very little effects in my playing. Takes effects pedals rather well, however with overdrive and distortion pedals watch the level! If you pump on the level on the pedal too high you will start overdriving the pre amp and on a solid state, that's a no no, you'll get nasty transistor fuzz. I keep all my OD pedals' level knobs under 12 o'clock. I'm not sure exactly what the Line out would be used for on this amp, recording perhaps? Seems a bit useless, this is a gigging amp for me, I would rather record with a much less powerful amp. Although a cabinet out jack could have proved useful in this type of amp, Fender should have seen that. // 7

Sound: Alright down to the nitty gritty. Now I play punk, ska, reggae, soul, blues, roots rock, sometimes rockabilly/country. my main guitars are 1.a MIM Fender Telecaster(stock), and 2. a SX GG1 Jr- flat top les paul special with P90s. Essentially I use single coils of some form, just check my profile for my other guitars. The amp itself runs quietly in buildings with decent wiring, but in old houses and warehouses the amp will hum due to the crappy electrics of the building. Noise is not an issue with me, again this is my gigging amp, it's going to hum anyway from my pickups. Alright first up, the clean channel. The clean on this amp is very good for a budget solid state. Very Fender like in my opinion, the clean tone can be shaped differently by using the tone controls, it ranges from blues- treble heavy country type of sound. Very good for my styles, I love playing ska with this amp, so clear and bright. That's one thing people don't understand about this amp and Fender blackface type amps in general, they are bias towards the treble! So if you are looking for a jazz clean, you'll have to play with those tone knobs! so if you are looking for the 'perfect' clean, get a Roland JC 120. Anyway the amp is a good match for me, I like my treble. Drive channel. The Drive is the weakest point on this amp, however if you bought a Fender for raging British JCM 2000 distortion, you are a fool, that's what British voiced amps are for! That said, I actually enjoy the overdrive channel for this amp for playing '77 inspired punk. The Drive channel sounds like Fender tried to get some of that old 70s Mesa Boogie vibe going, it's got more gain than a normal Fender but retains the treble. To most people trebley overdrive is not desired, most people want a British overdrive/distortion. I do enjoy the sound of high gain british as well, to achieve this on this amp will take a Distortion pedal. I use a Danoelectro CoolCat Drive and a CoolCat Distortion to cover my british sounds, works for my broke ass. The More Drive is nothing more than a gain/volume boost, good for making your solos jump out, however if you use the more Drive for rhythm it's fuzzy as hell, not my thing. Okay one thing that changes the Drive channel is the mid contour button, it scoops the mids. gives the amp much more of a modern sound, some people says it makes the amp sound 'better'. I don't think so, it's not my style. Okay overall sound- Excellent clean channel especially for ska and reggae, good Drive for low gain applications. Hard rockers and metalheads get a pedal or a amp voiced for modern music, preferably the latter. Volume doesn't break up the clean channel and adds a little grit to the Drive. In my case clean channel and two pedals keep me happy. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've owned the amp for a year, played a couple of gigs, take it to jams all the time. Seems alright so far. Reliability is one of those things that you cannot gauge until a product breaks or doesn't, it's a crapshoot. That said I've seen it gigged with out backups so I probably would. What's great about solid state is that it requires no regular maintaince besides cleaning of the amp istself, however if it does burn it might not be worth getting repaired, the prolem with Printed Curcuit Board electronics is when something fails it usually causes a massive failure on the board. // 6

Overall Impression: Okay I know this amp is one of the most hated amps on UG, however I believe I can offer some insight. The FM is cheap muscle, period. It makes my guitar loud as hell and that's all I ask of it. It's a not a tube amp, it's not a high end professional solid state like a Roland, it's an amp for broke musicians, garage rockers, basement jammers, ear bleeders, shoe grazers, crusty punks, skankin' rudeboys and weekend gig warriors. It's a cheap amp for pete's sake! If you want a high grade amp, then drop 2 grand on a professional amp, don't expect premium from a 300 dollar amp, you just won't get it. I personally feel this amp is rather good for 300 bucks, the clean channel has some good tone to my ears and the Drive is usable in certain styles. It's a good amp for DIY gig hounds on a budget, cheap and easily replaceable if stolen. I've seen quite a few hardcore and punk groups using the head version the FM 100H. the amp is very loud and doesn't really make a good bedroom amp, too much volume and no headphone jack. So for me it's a good loud amp until I can afford a tube amp which probably won't be for a number of years. I would recommend this amp to guys that need a loud Live amp with a crystal clear clean channel on the cheap, and use effects pedals or a multi effects for any sounds the amp can't do. // 8

FM 212R Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 06, 2004

Features: This amp was made in 2004. I use a Digitech Tube effects pedal with this amp through the clean channel, playing mainly classic rock. It has 3 channels, firstly a clean, secondly a distorted and thirdly another distorted channel with mid increased for thicker solos. I can only give it a 3 for features because in comparison with other amps such as Line 6 which you can get for a similar price, the variety of features is really disappointing. But that didn't put me off, because of the quality of the sounds. // 6

Sound: I currently use a Vintage guitar with 2 humbuckers and a Colombus Series 2 (cheap Fender Strat copy). The clean channel on this amp is incredible for the money. As I use this amp with an effects pedal, it sounds awesome. The sounds really are comparable with any live band I've seen. However, without using effects, you cannot get much variety in the sound of the clean channel. This also applies to the distorted channel. Twist the knobs loads and you will notice little difference. This may be due to me previously owning a 50watt Marshall RCD (the cheapest loud Marshall I could find and the tone controls are good on these) but you really could do with an effects pedal. The third channel is little different. The variety of sounds is small, plus I get a lot of noise from it. This is untrue of the first two channels though, which are virtually silent all the way up. Which really is incredible considering how loud it goes. It is really loud! I'm giving it a 5 because with a pedal, you can't do much better even for anything double the price. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had the amp a few months now and it has never let me down. It seems very sturdy. Considering it has a five year warranty, I don't think Fender expects it to let anyone down. I always take backup to all gigs, because you never know! But for people that don't, this won't let you down! I can only give it a 4 because for the money the build is great, but for more money the build would be better. But thats not the idea of this amp. // 8

Overall Impression: The main thing to stress with this amp is the power and quality for the money. Variety is not its strong point. But if like me you have another guitarist in the band with a comparable 100watt Marshall, you will find this blows it away. Yeah, the Marshalls have better distortion, but just buy a decent pedal the you'll have a better clean channel and a comparable distortion, for similar money. I think when Fender made this amp, they wanted a good clean channel, ok distortion that is not just a copy of other Fenders or Marshalls, but overall, a monster that for the money could do basically any gig. And I think they've done a very good job. I would easily buy it again, because for me with a good tube effects pedal, I needed nothing else. Just don't buy this amp for distortion! Stick to Marshalls for that. Buy this amp for power and quality. // 10

FM 212R Reviewed by: sumfartieone, on april 06, 2004

Purchased from: zZounds

Features: This amp has three channels and has a spring reverb. As far as features are concerned this is it, but the ammount of power this has is amazing. I'll give it a four because of the lack of features but the quality of what it did have. // 8

Sound: I use this with a combination of single coils and humbucker pickups and get a great sound every time. This amp was made for distortion, it has a wide range of different distortion tones, but don't get me won't the clean channel kicks ass to, and never breaks up even at 10. The only problem I had was blowing the speakers after one month of having the amp. But all is well and fixed now. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is pretty reliable besides the small blown speaker problem. But if anything worse ever happens there is a 5 year warranty to cover my ass, so im not to worried about it. I'll give it a 3 hear because of the blown speakers. // 6

Overall Impression: This amp is perfect for anybody just starting out, especially for the price. If I went to the store and this amp was $400 I still would buy it. The only thing I wish it had was a little bit higher quallity speakers, but for $300, fuck beggers can't be choosers! I recommend this amp to anybody needing gig like volumes on a tigh budget, even if your not on a tight budget the buy this and save you money for a new guitar! // 10

FM 212R Reviewed by: westo, on august 09, 2006

Purchased from: Local small guitar shop

Features: I play mainly blues, classic rock, some metal (not extremely heavy), and some stuff of my own. This amp hasn't dissapointed me in any of those genres/styles. It has two channels plus an extra "more Drive" button to bump up the distortion. There is also a "mid contour" button which changes the sound a little though I am still unaware as to what it does exactly. The clean channel has volume, treble, mid, and bass knobs which work very well and have very nice range. The second channel has a Drive knob, plus the same knobs of the first channel. A spring reverb knob acts for both channels. I would like to see it with some chorus/flanger effects just because the quality is so nice and my DigiTech GNX2 doesn't have the greatest effect qualities. This amp also has pre-in and pre-out jacks for other capabilities (such as connecting to other amps). I've used it in a backyard "show", you may call it, and it was perfect. It was plenty loud for that as I normally keep it at 2 or less in my room. I accidentally bought mine without the footswitch- but it should come free if you get it at the right place. // 4

Sound: The guitar I am using with this amp is an Epiphone Firebird VII with three mini humbuckers. The quality of this amp is fantastic, and without looking at it you may mistake it for tube. The bass on this amp is incredible, complimenting my blues playing. With light distortion, this amp can do a great job. There is some hissing when turned up, but at a quiet volume it's unnoticeable. This amp can do wonders with blues, sounds great with classic rock, can do pretty well with metal, and you can probably use it while playing some punk (I would never play anything like punk, so I can't tell you what it sounds like). When I played this outside for a bunch of people, the clean channel never let me down. It stayed nice, bassy, and clear. The distortion can get pretty raunchy at 10 with the "more Drive" channel added. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can always depend on this amp to make new sounds and help me with my experimentation. At small gigs, this thing would be fine. I've had it for a few months now and nothing has happened at all. I think I can trust the Fender name and hopefully nothing bad will happen. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I've said now many times, this amp is perfect for my types of music. I also have an old Epiphone EP-800 that I just recently hooked up to the Fender to act as a second amp. With both of these going at once, the possibilities are not endless, but rather very long (endless would be false advertising, now wouldn't it). If it were stolen, I would probably look at getting a better amp with more power simply because I would have to get an amp with more power soon anyways. I love this amp because of it's quality, I miss it's lack of some effects, and I can't stop using the second channel on light distortion. I compared it to a Vox AD50VT Valvetronix and needed more power than that. Overall, I'm sort of sad I didn't get something with more "umph" and more features. // 6

FM 212R Reviewed by: next_angus_8888, on january 03, 2005

Features: I'm pretty sure this amp was made in 2003. The is extremly versatile. It has amazing drive and more drive for the hevyer music. I play 80's rock, blues, jazz and a bit of metal but not alot. It is able to give you many kinds of distortions for different types of playing. The clean channel is exceptional also. It has three channels; clean drive and more drive like I already discussed. The Fender FM212R has two inputs, pre out, power in and a foot swith input. I use this amp for gigs at school. It's definaetly powerful enough with two specialy desined 12 inch speakers. It is a soldid State amp. It weighs forty eight pounds. The Fender FM212R come with a foot swith so you can switch channels while you play. // 8

Sound: I am using a Washburn Dime V Dimebag Darrell Signature series guitar (RIP Dime) with Seymour Duncan pickups. I think it is the best for classic rock '80s. I paly a lot of AC/DC and the driber channel suits it very well. The amp is extremly quit, that is when your not playing. When you play it blowing your ears. But when not playing you would only be able to tell it is on because of the power light on front. If you cange the settings on the amp you can get a great variety from clean, drive and even metal. The clean channel is amazing. It will stay clean now matter what the volume. The distortion is brutal. but in a goos way. Becasue you can have little distorting for what I play like AC/DC. But you can change setting and put the more drive channel on to blast right to metal distortion. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would use this amp at all my gigs and I would not have a problem. No need for a back up amp when you got a Fender FM212R. // 8

Overall Impression: Once again, I paly 80's rock. This amp is perfect for it. I have been playing for about 2 years. I have A Washburn Dime V Dimebag Darrell Signature series and my Fender FM212R I've got a entry level Jay Turser along wiht a ten watt Traynor amp. If this was to be broken I would fix it and if stonel I'd look for it and perhaps but another one. I love this amp becasue it has many types of tones and setting. but what I hate is the weight of it. Forty eight pounds. Hard to carry around. The one thing that does not bother me but I would not mind having is digital effects. Oh well. Over all I think the amp is excellent. // 10

FM 212R Reviewed by: blink_nirvana, on february 03, 2005

Purchased from: St. Johns Music

Features: This is a limited edition amp from Fender. The dealer or store clerk may say it is an eco amp, but don't let that fool you this is a crazy amp. It has a diferent options for clean, and distortion to let you find the perfect sound for any song. It sounds amazing with any of the styles I play: Blink 182, Green Day, Jimi Hendrix, Van Halen, Sum 41 and many more. There's alot of hype about Marshall and I must say it is all talk. I tried out all kinds of amps: Marshall, other Fenders, Peavey, Crate, and Behinger (or something like that). Marshall sounded really bad, and kinda constapated. Fenders were all pretty good, this one being the best. Crate was too basic and expensive and lacked power. Behringer was horrible. For Peavey I tried out the Studio Pro, along with others and they lacked power and wasn't as versitile as it looked. Fender had that nice "bassy" sound, and has a ton of power. I use my FM212R With my band and it definately has enaugh power, sounds great, and can play over the drums. This amp is all you need. // 10

Sound: I use my FM212R with a Strat Spinoff, and a Boss Metal Zone MT-2. And I was amazed by the sound I got when I played for the first timne with my band. So were they. It fits my style perfectly, and could fit any style you put it with. There is a large variety of sounds that I can create. You can get anywhere from a nice warm distortion, to a Korn type distortion. Trust me. I've tried. There is hardly any feedback. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is kick ass. It has never broken down. And if it does it has a 5 year waranty covering my ass. 12" speakers are kick ass and are made to take a beating, while making an unbeatable sound. Whether jamming alone at home, jamming with my band, or playing a gig, I know I can rely on my Fender FM212R. // 10

Overall Impression: I would suggst anyone to buy this amp. If you don't believe me go to your local music store and you'll see what I'm talking about. I promise you'll fall in love. // 10

FM 212R Reviewed by: JaredF, on july 02, 2005

Features: Made in 20005, this solid state amp is a powerhouse. I play metal, and it's many subgenres, and some classic rock as well, and this amp is a fair suite for the music. Loud-100 Watts, I turn the dial to "2", and its as loud as my 0 Watt practice amp. At 4-5, you have to bring out the 20'foot cable b/c its that fricken loud! The footswitch for clean, drive/more drive is great always use it. The more distortion channel is great, better for those metal distortions that I need, and the regular drive channel is good for more classic rock distortion that I play aswell. The EQ switch and conture also help with that, using it or not, gives you your choice of anything of a classic rock sound, to more modern, deepend metal guturals, to anything in between. A slight reveb dial gives your sound a more "concert" feel, which is fun to use occasionally on clean solos. no effects loop, or effects at all, becasue this amp is ment to be loud! Nothing fancy or innovative, just pure gigging power, it doesn't have worthless crap that you use in practice, it has the bare essentials maxed out for a more live preformance amp. I use it in a band and it works great for leveling out with a drummer. // 8

Sound: I have a s--t guitar that I sard - a Slamer Hamer. And it still sounds good with the stock pickups. But I'm in market and buyinmg a King V from Jackson, tried it out! Getting it in the next fews days b/c I love the Jackson V - Fender beast amp combo, you can get some killer sounds from just playing around for a few minutes. It has 2 inputs: for regular pickups and for high active inputs that pick up more. I have regular pickups, and I put my guitar into the second one, and it cut noise by half, still giving me my tone and sound that I have on one. The distortion could be better, but I'm using a cheap hamer, remember? When I tried out the Jackson, I cried from love of the sound, you would too. // 8

Reliability & Durability: You can depend on it, 100 watts, lots of distortion options. I would use it withoput a backup, its a great amp! Never crapped out on me yet! // 10

Overall Impression: Metal - great match! Plus, metal is loud, so is the amp! I had a dean markely practice amp before, well of course this blows it all away! If it was stolen, id buy it again, I had a great deal for the price, I payed up to 120, less than other places! Love the power and opportunites, but the distortion could be more crunch and deeper. But I love the foot switch, great it is! // 8

FM 212R Reviewed by: The Hog, on august 29, 2005

Features: I bought this amp in 2003, it holds up to my styles of play which are blues, hard rock. It has 3 channels and it comes with a footswitch, 2 inputs. I don't really use all the channels because I use my effects pedals but when I first got it, I just plugged it in played. The clean channel was awesome and the drive channel it was something else too. My band, we don't have alot gigs but when we do they're usually house parties. This thing is awesome lots of power. The leadsinger/guitarist of our band liked so much he went and got one about 2 weeks after I got mine. // 10

Sound: I have a Epiphone Les Paul Classic and a Gibson Challenger. These 2 guitars and this amp are a great combo. at least for my style of playing which are blues, hard rock. I can make this amp sounds like a 12 string acoustic or absolute heavy metal electric. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Can I depend on it? And would I use it on a gig without a backup? You're right, I would without a doubt. The only problem I had with the FM212 was for some reason I blew a speaker within about 6 months so I brought it back to were I bought it and within a few weeks Fender sent me a brand new one (god love them). It is now 2005 and this one's running great with not one problem. // 8

Overall Impression: My band and I have been together for 3 years, and I have been playing off and on for about 10 years. This is a great match for the style of music I play which are blues and hard rock. I own an Epiphone Les Paul Classic, Gibson Challenger and a Yamaha acoustic guitar, along with my FM212 I have a Marshall G50R CD amp, effects I have a Zoom GFX707, Boss BD-2 Blues Driver, Boss DS-1 Distortion, Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive and a Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95. If it were stolen/lost I would hunt them down and beat them if I didn't find them I would go out and buy a new one. I compared it with the Mega's, the Marshall's, the Line 6's and so on. I didn't want anything too big but also not too small, this one was the perfect fit it's not too big (it weights about 50 pounds)but it has lots of power. But what it all came down to was the almighty dollar for $400 and change and a 5 years warranty I was sold. // 10

FM 212R Reviewed by: iammetal, on november 09, 2005

Features: The features for this amp, are all over-rated by far. When I first got it, the price and weight had me sold on it. I was wrong. It has all theses fancy channel knobs, for reverb, drive, contour, and of course bass, treble, and volume. It comes with a pedal, that "allows" you to switch channels without tinkering little buttons on the amp itself. The pedal broke the second day I owned it. Its not a tube amp, so it starts right up, but it sucks. I purchased this amp for the "100 Watts of useable power," because I needed a gig amp, but it too basic of an amp for me. // 5

Sound: The sound isnt that great. Its really faded, and sounds like it lacks the ability to try. When it's turned up (which it really does get loud) it actually does not sound all that bad rather when its quiet. The overdrive on it is ives off a very loud static when the guitar is silenced though, and my "Metal Zone" pedal and it do not get along at all. The clear channel sounds great, but I never use it on account I'm into heavy distortion, and deep sound. I have a seven string, and it also dosent get along with it as well. // 4

Reliability & Durability: My band and I practice at least once a week, and I have to travel to my drummer house, about 20 minutes away. So, it is in my tiny back seat alot, rolling around at times, but nothing has broken on it soo far. Its heavy, and been dropped once, but it didnt damage the amp at all. But, turning it up to 9 (out of 10), after a minute or two you can smell the amp frying up. Thats never a good sign. // 5

Overall Impression: It's not for heavy rockers/metal heads out their, but for folk music or light country or something along those lines. The clear channel is great, that is if you like that kind of sound, but the overdrive on it is really a waste of money. Don't let the price get you, its a cheap amp, at a fairly cheap price for its range, but I don't recommend it for anyone who likes harder, deeper tuned, music with distortion and what not. // 4

FM 212R Reviewed by: alexi1, on february 16, 2006

Features: This amp is very versatile it can give a nice full clean sound or a heavier crunch distortion sound. I like to play heavy metal, but I dont run straight through the amp I use a Boss ME-50. There are three channels a clean, ditortion and more distortion. I don't use the 'more distortion' channel because it's just not heavy enough for my style of music. If I didn't have a pedal and have to run straight to the amp then I would wish it had a lot heavier sound. It's a solid state amp. But it has extreme power. I practice most in my room and I cant turn it above 2 because it's just to loud for practicing. // 7

Sound: I play with a Vintage LP-200 (not the best) with Wilkinson humbuckers (I'm not a fan of single coils). It's an extremelly loud amp and for playing live its very good. There is a fair bit of sound variety. From a clean to '50s soft distortion to a fairly heavy sound. The clean channel stays clean no matter what volume it's played at. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this amp for live playing as a trust it will not break. I'm happy walking on the top of it while playing without the fear of it breaking. The amp has never packed up on me. I play on it every day. // 9

Overall Impression: When I first opened the box up I did'nt think it was a 100watt amp as it is fairly small, but when I plug it in, in the living room (where everyone was) it was on volume 3 and I didn't think it was going to be that loud. I scared the crap out of everyone. My ears were ringing for hours after. If The amp were to get stolen or completelly pack in then I would probablly not buy it again I would get the Line 6 150 watt (I've heard it's very good). // 9

FM 212R Reviewed by: Godzilla1969, on april 17, 2006

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Features: I got my Fender FM 212R for Christmas of 2004. Seeing as I use only distortion and overdrive pedals, I can't tell you just how versatile it is, but it performs very well with the various styles of music that I play. The features that I never use on this amp are the overdrive/distortion setting, because the sound on these is somewhat lackluster, and the reverb, because it broke about a year after I got it. I kind of wish it had some on-board effects, but those are sometimes lacking the authenticity of real effects, so I am not too disappointed. // 8

Sound: I am using a Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, a Fender Standard Stratocaster, and an Ovation CC057 with this amp. It fits my style very well, because when I am not using the superb clean channel, I am using an overdrive or distortion pedal. When I actually use the amp's distortion, it gets a little noisy, especially with my Strat, once it goes up to about 4. One great thing about it is that it is loud! An ideal independent practice volume for me is at no louder than one, but fro about 7-10, there is not much of a difference in volume. The clean channel, as I said before, is wonderful. It sounds great with humbuckers or single coils or even the pickup in my acoustic-electric. Also, as I have said before, the distortion channel leaves much to be desired. While you can get a good sounding light overdrive, the brutalest distortion is no match for my pedals. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would definately use this amp in a gig without a backup, because, for the most part, I have not been disappointed by it yet. One frustrating thing that happened to my amp is that the reverb stopped working about a year after I had it, which wasn't due to any lack of care or maintenance. // 8

Overall Impression: My band plays Radiohead-ish songs, and my amp can match the music very well. All of my pedals, wah, phasers, distortion, overdrive, noise suppressors, work fine with it, and I love the clean channel most of all. I'm not crazy about the distortion, or lack of functioning reverb, but I am not in any way disappointed with the amp. // 8

FM 212R Reviewed by: guitarfan93, on august 21, 2006

Purchased from: musicians friend

Features: My amp was made in 2004, and it is very versatile.You can plug 2 guitars into it. It is solid a solid state amp, and get very loud if you want it that way, it's definately for the typical gigger. My favorite feature on this amp is the reverb, it's got that classic Fender verb sound which is really good. // 8

Sound: I am using a Epiphone Les Paul Custom and DigiTech RP200A pedal with it. I play most types of rock (classic, metal, punk) and ocassionally blues. It can be noisy when on the the more drive channel (when the red light in the middle is lit), also on the clean channel it will sometimes distort or clip a little when using a lot of bass. The drive channel is good for when you need like the classic rock sound (Malcom Young, Jimmy Page, and stuff like that). The more drive I'd good for hard stuff like metal (Metallica, Slayer, A7X). // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this amp without a backup. This ia amp is a tough one but is very heavy. Somewhere around 50 pounds, and if you carry it by yourself it's alittle awkward to grip since it only has one handle. This amp has never broken and sounds as good as the day I bought it. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a lot of different genres of rock and this amp can handle all of them. I usually play with my RP200A into the clean channel, just because that pedal give me more choices. I love the massive sound it produces. It may only have 2x12" speakers but sounds just as loud as a Marshall half stack. I compared this amp to many crat amps and this one delivered more kick to it. I do wish it had more eq options on the clean channel, it is sometimes hard to get a nice clean sound out of my Les Paul with this amp. If this amp was stolen I probaly wouldn't get it again, because I really wanna tube amp now, but overall it is a good amp. // 8

FM 212R Reviewed by: Steveblues50, on september 18, 2006

Purchased from: local music store

Features: My FM212R was made in China in 2004. The amp is a two channel solid state with reverb, very basic. Has a very nice clean channel and distortion is not bad but if you like distortion you'll want to add a decent OD/Dist pedal or two. Basic EQ for both channels and a mid scoop on distortion that gives a nice tonal pallette for 300 bucks. Distortion (drive) can also be kicked up a notch with more drive function. Very loud 100 watts. Only wish it had a headphone jack. // 9

Sound: I play mostly blues, punk and classic rock. This thing does each well. As I said clean is very nice, no breakup at higher volumes and at this price level I think that is very important. If you have good Fender clean you can build on that, right? I use a MIM Strat and an Ibanez 335 copy into a Crybaby Wah/MXR EQ/Digitech DF7/Keely modded TS9 straight into amp with a DigiTech Multichorus in the effects loop I forgot to mention above. Very happy with the sounds this set up gives me. Don't get me wrong. I still use the drive and more drive channel, I just like like them more whem used in conjunction with the TS9. I do have to say I use the straight Fender distortion in More Drive mod for an Epi Les Paul I have set up for slide. Lots of sounds, just play with the knobs. Not a bedroom amp. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's solid state and a Fender what could be more reliable? I've had it for 18mos use it a couple hours every day, no problems. Just keep it clean away from heat and damp and you'll be all set. Don't gig but I've moved it around with a lot less care than I give my tube amp. Comes with a 5yr warranty. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this amp is the balls at 300 bucks. Sure you could do better going tube but you are not going to find a 212 all tube combo for anywhere near this price. For anyone on a budget you can get some damn fine professional sounds out of this puppy. Digital amp modeling. Marshall is nice but the clean Fender channel is better. The Fender is also cheaper than the Marshall AVT 212 option. Bang for the buck FM212R wins. // 9

FM 212R Reviewed by: Fender_punk, on november 06, 2006

Features: This amp was made in the usa. It's quite versitile and one of the best non-tube amps I've ever played. I play everything from NOFX to the police. You can get a great distortion sound with it, perfect for punk or metal. I played this amp with 2 guitars, a Tom DeLonge Strat and an Epiphone Dot Studio. It has a mid contour switch, 3 channels (really it's 2 with a distortion boost) a 2 button footswitch and I think that's about it. There is no line out which was bad for me because I tried plugging this into a cabinet and wouldn't work. And the footswitch is this really slippery plastic and slides around when you put your foot on it. // 8

Sound: I play a Fender Tom Delonge Stratocaster and an Epiphone Dot Studio both with the stock Epiphone pick ups and a Seymour Duncan detonator in the bridge. The bulk of what I play is Punk rock but it gets a pretty good clean sound. Also if your into the whol classic rock thing, it gets a pretty sweet overdrive sound like AC/DC and all that. You can use the mid contour button to get a crazy high metal sound but I don't use it much. The distortion on this is definately one of the best non tube distortions I have used. I would say it's better tan a couple tube heads I've used. One thing that was bad was that if you put the distortion up to 10, the distortion channel looses some crunch and the clean channel just acts weird. This might just be mine but it was one problem I had. The speakers are pretty good and I actually bought the cabinet version of this amp for my half stack. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very dependable. I played it Live for about a year and recorded a CD with it. Plenty loud enough and still sounds great. It's built pretty well and everything. It's a good amp and extremely affordable. I thought there was something wrong with it because of the whole Drive all the wya up thing but I just figured out what was wrong one day. // 9

Overall Impression: It's good for any style of music really, punk, metal, country, whatever. I've been playing 4 years and I own A B-52 AT-100 tube head which is an amazing affordable guitar amp and I have owned a Crate blue voodoo 100 and a Peavey supreme head. This amp blew them out of the water and is quite comparable to the B-52. I run my current head through the cabinet version of this Fender amp and it gets a really good sound. // 9

FM 212R Reviewed by: qwikfngr, on february 12, 2007

Purchased from: Herried's Music Store

Features: The new FM212R's are great amps! There is 100 watts of power through two 12" Celestions all in a solid, portablle, light (48lbs.) combo. There are three foot switchable channels (2-button footswitch included) and a mid-contour feature for modern distortions and a variety of tones. Sadly the mid-range scoop isn't footswitchable; a third button on the footwitch would have been nice. Also, there are in and outputs for an effects loop or connection to sound reinforcement or recording equipment. The 100 watts of solid-state power is perfect for the small to medium-sized scene gigs that I play and the Blackface look is great in small stage setups. // 9

Sound: I play everything from reggae to metal and the amp handles any tone necessary. Playing my Strat through it evokes smooth and creamy twang in clean and enormous shrieks and pinches in overdrive. I also play a drop-tuned SG through to find that great, heavy, chug-chug sound that can only be found with Fender. Upon hitting the mid-range scoop I was blown away by the amazing distortion, with practically no noise. The clean channel rings loud and clear with the volume up to six (as loud as I've dared to crank it yet). Simply put, the amp (with footswitch) enables you to jump straight from heaven to hell. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Even in the short time I've owned my FM212R, I've found it to be both reliable and durable. Even when bumped quite roughly while being played through, no noise was audible. I'm really anxious for spring, so I can really put it to the test with some outdoor gigging. The amp seems dependable so far though, and even so, comes with a 5-year warranty. // 9

Overall Impression: The Fender FM212R is a great amp, a real value for the power, and an amazing monster of tone, variety, brutality, and clarity encompassed. Having played for around four years, it is the perfect amp for me, as I am just beginning to perform small scene shows and concerts that require enough volume, but not walls of cabinets. The amp pairs up amazingly with both my Strat and SG. Having chosen the amp to match up with the other guitarist in my band, whom owns a similiar Fender solid-state combo, I have been completely satisfied as my band now produces some crushing sounds. The FM212R is the amp I was looking for. And it looks great! // 10

FM 212R Reviewed by: jeffo46, on november 09, 2007

Features: I believe that minewas made around 2005 or so. It was alright for the music I was playing with my old band, but it wasn't spectacular. It has 2 channels and is rated at 100 watts, which is more than enough power for any gig as far as I'm concerned. The only feature that I wish this amp has, would be to have some casters built onto it. This thing weighs a freaking ton! // 7

Sound: I use a 2006 60th anniversary MIM Strat, and for that amp you would think it would be a perfect mix. The clean channel on this is very bright. I would have to turn the high no higher than 3, the bass on 6, and the mids on 6 also. The distortion on this amp is alright for blues or classic rock, providing you know how to make the proper adjustments. It took me quite a while at first to get it to sound the way I wanted. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Here's where I give this a 10. Until I got rid of this 3 months ago, I have used this on over 50 gigs and never had a problem. You could definately rely on this without a backup amp. And seeing that it's solid state.you would never have to worry about putting up with tubes. That's why I prefer solid state, cause I was playing a gig in 1988, and at the time, I was using a Marshall Tube, and halfway thru the show, the amp shit the bed on me. So as a result, I will never use tubes again. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for over 35 years, and not to rag on Fender, but I feel that if this amp was made in either the good ole USA or even Mexico, it would be a much better sounding amp. I have a late '90s Frontman 25 with the black grille that was made in Mexico which blows this amp away if you can believe that. I ended up doing a straight trade for a USA 1997 Peavey Studio Pro 112, which I do not regret. I'm not gigging right now, and the Peavey is a lot lighter on my back. So, if I still owned this and it got lost or whatever, I would not replace it with the same thing. The Chinese do not have a clue how to build a great amp. // 6

FM 212R Reviewed by: Blue_Strat91, on december 27, 2007

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: This 100 watt solid state amp was made in 2004. It has 3 footswitchable channels, the clean and dirty EQs being independent and a mid scoop on the dirty channels, clean, Drive, and more Drive. The clean is amazing, Fender clean. Drive could be better, but isn't bad, it's a Fender, not a Marshall people! More drive is basically the Drive channel with a gain boost. Spring reverb is a nice touch. // 8

Sound: I run a Fender stratocaster through my crybaby wah, SD-1, BD-2, CS-3, and RP-80 multi-effects unit. I use the clean channel (the best feature of the amp) and use it as a base on which to build my sounds utilizing my effects. It is not noisy on the clean channel, but hisses a lot when the gain is maxed out on the more Drive channel. The distortion will not suit a metal player, but that's why they invented stompboxes. The clean channel, being solid state, stays clean at very high volumes. Very nice with effects. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can, and will depend on this amplifier, it has never let me down. I would gig without a backup without any worries. The only time it gave me an issue was when the included footswitch cable died, but it is easily replaced by a standard instrument cable. I still don't know why it happened, but it wasn't a really durable cable, so I'm not suprised honestly. But the amp itself is built like a rock. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I love this amp. I've been playing for 4 years, playing a variety of styles from classic rock, blues, jazz, and modern rock. The only thing that I wish this amp had was better distortion channels. Nonetheless I can deal with it, because the clean channel is amazing. If it were stolen or lost I'd either buy this or a Fender DRRI. // 9

FM 212R Reviewed by: btwade, on january 28, 2008

Features: I love this amp. I have been playing for about 2 years and I wanted to get a new amp. So I went to music stop and some guy came around the corner with this Fender amp. I tryed it and loved it. It was the 2nd last one in the shop. It was made in 2004. I play mostly rock (grunge, punk, heavy and classic) it has 2 channels (clean and overdrive) the overdrive has a boost buttom for more gain and volume for solos and a spring reverb. It does have an effects loop but I don't really use it much. I wish it had a headphone jack. I mostly play at home and jam with my buddies. // 10

Sound: I am using a Jay Turser stratocaster copy with single coils and with this guitar it sounds amazing. It suits my music style perfect (rock) both channels sound amazing. The clean channel is really crisp and clear. the overdrive it nutts, I love the gain. It doesn't break up at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I will always depend on this amp. Fender has always made very good quality products. I would never use a backup. It hasn't broken down yet and might never sence it is a solid state amp it doesn't have tube to crack! Fender has a 5 year warrenty so I will have no problems. // 10

Overall Impression: It is a perfect match for my musical style(rock).playing for 2 years. I use a Ibanez TS7 Tubescreamer for bluey stuff and I use a Morley Classic Wah. I would have asked about the effects loop before buying this amp. If it were ever stolen/lost I would find that person and skin them (not litterly) and I also love the spring reverb. // 10

FM 212R Reviewed by: Slaytanic1993, on february 18, 2008

Purchased from: k&s music (williamsport)

Features: I play very diverse metal (mostly stuff like Opeth and Watain) and the more Drive channel through my Boss OverDrive is sick sounding and the cleans are so fracking amazing. I'd tour with this bitch! Channels: clean/drive/more drive/mid contour. In order, the channels go amazing/decent/amazing/good. These channels all meet my expectations 100%, I've played other Fender amps and have been pleased with the sounds and wanted to buy my own. Basic settings, and reverb. I wish this had a built in delay but that's just hoping for a lot. I love the features this has and I will probably use this amp as my cabs if I buy a head. I use it in band practice, home practice, jamming, and rehearsals and gigs. In bedroom jams it is slightly loud, but what the hell, right? For jamming with some random dudes at K&S (the equivalent of a GC around here) it is awesome, and I love showing off the punchy-ass tone. Rehearsles and gigs it is just perfect, and I do not use any backup, and it makes me happy that I bought this amp. For a SS amp, this amp is so good and has a nice warm punch rather than others SS amps which have a dull gain. The dual input is good when my guitarist decides he doesn't want to take his amp to practice. // 8

Sound: I mostly use my B.C. Rich Custom Shop Stealth with a Dimebucker in the bridge for my guitars, occaisionally I'll use my EC-50, and it just makes my sound even tighter. The whole setup just pleases my need so much. It fits roughly 90%. It is missing some gain, but that's because it isn't tube. If it was a tube amp it'd be a clear 100%. The cleans, the drive, the everything is perfect on this amp. I have none, and I use it with the gain on 6 with my Boss on level: 1 o'clock and drive: 9 o'clock and it makes almost no noise (the little noise heard is bearable). If high enough the drive is almost tube-ish even w/out my pedal. The clean stays nice and, well, clean at any volume, and the all-around control of this amp's tone and noise/vol. control is nicely done for Fender. Distortion problems, slightly meek, but Fender isn't exactly a death metal brand, right? Still, what it lacks in distortion, the cleans more than make up for it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As stated before, no need for a backup, and this thing is sturdy, oh yeah. I think if I dropped this from a man's height or two and it'd be fine. for a very used amp, this amp is extremely well done and never goes kablush. The reliability is nice, I'd rely on it if I ever had a tube amp with bad cleans and I needed some decent cleans, if that happened, this amp would have it's place. // 9

Overall Impression: My style of folky-acoustic guitar mixed with heavy as hell metal makes this amp my baby. The styles meld together and the clean with a load of bass will make your electric sound acoustic (my win, as I haven't bothered with acoustic yet) and the distortion with a good compression/OD pedal with equal amounst of high mids and bass will give you a clean punch that any metalhead would recognize. If the first I'd firstly kill whatever roadie lost it or I'd spend numerous days trying to find it. If it were stolen, I would pay twice as much as I paid to get my original back and if I had to, I'd buy another one. I love this on clean and with OD'd drive, but I slightly dislike the drive by itself. I compared this with a Crate (model escapes) and I picked this over it solely on the clean setting, and I think if I could have, I'd buy the Crate for natural distortion and keep the Fender for cleans and OD'd drive. I also tried out a Marshall MG something and thought the Fender kicked it in the nuts and walked away laughing. Perfect, well, expect for that if it was a tube amp then it'd be given 10/10 everywhere. // 8

FM 212R Reviewed by: guy_tebache, on june 25, 2008

Price paid: A$ 550

Features: This amp was made in 2005 and it is pretty cool for a cheapish 100W solid state. I play funk, rock, indie, prog rock, metal, and a bit of everything else. It plays all of these styles really well. It has 2 channels: clean/ overdrive, with a "more drive" option on the Drive channel, and also comes with spring reverb. It comes with a footswitch for channel/more Drive and has 2 12" Fender speakers. I've used this amp for pratice, gigs and recording and it works fine for all of them. The thing that drew me to this amp was that it was cheap and simple. I like effects pedals and I'm not really into onboard FX. // 8

Sound: I use this amp with a bunch of effects and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. This gets a pretty great sound for most styles, but whenever I need a Strat/single coil sound I find my self always using the Drive channel for that extra bite. If you use the Drive channel on high Drive it gets really noisy, but I've never had any problems with noise on the clean channel that wasn't caused by something else. That said, the Drive is pretty nice for a stock overdrive. For some styles of music you would prefer a Marshall overdrive, but this still works well. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've never had any reliability problems, but I've heard that if you use this amp at high volumes (though with a full band and a full FOH system I've never had to turn it past 4) and high Drive, the amp can overheat and cut out after extended use. It's built like a brick. I'm more worried about it breaking me when I carry it around // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing around 6 years and this was my first serious amp, though now I'm due a nice tube halfstack. It's a very nice intermediate players amp and plays well in most if not all genres. I like the overdrive and clean channels, and I like the reverb, though there are better sounds to be had. It wouldn't be stolen cos it weighs a ton. // 9

FM 212R Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 14, 2008

Purchased from: Guitar Center-Towson

Features: This amp has two channels one that has a nice clean classic sound and one with Drive and more Drive option for distortion. I like it for it's simplicity, and yet it's versatility of sound. I had contemplated between this amp and a Line 6. I like that I can vary the sound and yet it is easy to operate. There is a remote Switch included which makes a change in mood and a change in sound seamless. The reverbation unit is excellent. All in all exactly what I was looking for. // 10

Sound: There is a little bit of hum with this amp and I am not sure why. It could be because of my guitar however I am not sure. It may also be related to the apartment I Live in, because I do not know if the third prong of the outlet is actually grounded. It sounds beautiful however, and I can go from clean and calming sound to death metal distortion at the flick of a switch. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have not had this amp for a long time but it seems to be built like a rock. I am very impressed with the attention to detail as well as the genuine Fender styling. The potentiometers seem to turn smoothly and there is no noise or scratchiness when I turn them. It also weighs a ton which is a pretty good indication of the quality. The included footswitch looks as if it may give me problems down the road but seems fairly solid. I would question the quality of the pushbuttons considering the abuse that they will encounter. // 9

Overall Impression: I play all different styles of music from metal to classical and I enjoy the versatility of this amplifier. I play a Fender HSS Strat, and if either was stolen I would find that theif and probably beat them with the the guitar and then the amp. Then I would go and buy the same setup again. The only thing that I hate about the amp is the stigma of going out and buying a Fender. I think that they make quality equipment and yet it seems like a stereotype to purchase it. Other then that I think that it is a great amp and I also feel like I own a quality piece of equipment. I have a background in electronics and I have examined the interior of the amp. It looks solid and seems to be well designed. // 10

FM 212R Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 23, 2009

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I have no idea when the amp was made but I think it was made in China. Pretty standard amp 2x12" speakers and 60w. It is reaaally loud though, never taken it above 6/10 volume on either channel. it's got two inputs (but you can't really use them at the same time with two guitars cos everytime one plays something new, it cuts the other one out), two channels: bass, treble, middle and volume on both channels and a Drive knob on the Drive channel and an option to add "more Drive" with a Switch on the amp or via the footswitch -- I think this came with the amp from new. The reverb is really good for a free effect, I tend to play with it on all the time and can't get used to not having reverb now. Sounds cool as hell anyway. // 9

Sound: The amp is really versatile for what it is but I think it lacks bottom end so you end up dialling the bass up to 9 while treble and middle are on 5 (but that might be because I mainly play a Fender Jaguar through it and that's quite trebly anyway). I tend not to use the Drive channel without the "more Drive" Switch on but it gives a nice gentle overdrive sound without I guess, it's nice for slide guitar anyway. Clean channel is really bright but the Drive channel is quite muddy and buzzes like hell but sounds ok when you're actually playing something. I tend to use the clean channel with my MXR distortion pedal and that's pretty good. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Made in China or not, this thing is reliable as they come. I Gig with it regularly without a backup and throw it in a van and it always comes out fine at the other end. My friend has a Fender Super tremolo amp which cost like 4 times as much as this and is always breaking down. I've stood on it and spilled stuff on it and run vocals through it and it still works fine. // 10

Overall Impression: For such a cheap amp (about $200) you aren't going to get amazing tone but this is a real bargain for the price. it's a shame the distortion is a bit muddy because that's the only thing that's wrong with it. I've been using it for about 6 months and I've had no trouble with it and it looks great on stage, like an old silverface. If it was stolen I'd walk after the guy and wait for HIM to get tired then take it back. If he got away, I'd definitely consider getting another one but maybe pay out and get a Fender Deluxe for a better Drive channel. Anyway this is easily one of the best amps for this kind of money and worth considering if you want something cheap to gig with. // 8

FM 212R Reviewed by: paesano, on september 08, 2009

Purchased from: musiciansfriend

Features: I don't know year the amp was made or where. The amp is solid state, 100 watts, effects loop and two inputs. There's no line out and there's a two button footswitch included to change the channel and to active the gain boost. The amp really isn't versatile enough for me. It won't play metal well enough. It has two channels, clean and distorted and the distortion channel has a mid contour Switch and a gain boost. I wish it had a line out so I could run it into my PA set. // 5

Sound: I've used a Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe with the EMG 81/85 set, a Schecter Damien B-52 with DiMarzio PAF Pro and Super Distortion, A Schecter Brianna Banks model with Duncan Designed pickups and an ESP LTD F-250 with DiMarzio Pickups. It didn't really suit my style at all. I play alot of metal and hard rock and rock and the distortion wasn't tight enough. You could play blues or jazz with it. The distortion was very watery and loose sounding and that only improves when you activate the gain boost at which point it gets incredibly noisy. I had to add a BBE Maxcom Compressor/Limiter to tighten up the distortion and kill some of the buzz and most of the time I'll add gain to it with a DigiTech RP80. The clean channel is perfect, I bought this amp with the clean channel in mind, figuring that I'd need a pedal to get good distortion and it didn't let me down in that department. The cleans are pristine and gorgeous. They don't break up until you've almost got it maxed out. The spring reverb is decent, I've heard better but it's nice to have on there. // 5

Reliability & Durability: It's a solid amp, it's put together well, the knobs are tight and feel good. The amp in general is quality workmanship, I did use it on a gig without a back up and I wasn't worried at all. The footswitch cable shorts now but I've stepped on it on stage and during practices so many times I'm not surprised. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal/hard rock/rock. It's not really a good match but that's my poor researching skills. I've been playing for 17 years, I own three Schecters, a Kustom Half stack and a Hughes & Kettner head. I wish I had played it before I bought it. If it was stolen I'd buy a Fender Super Champ in a heartbeat. I love the cleans, I hate the distortion and my favorite feature is the Fender style looks. It just looks classy. I almost bought a Peavey Vypyr instead but I wanted 100 watts. I wish it had an external line out so I wouldn't have to mike it. // 8

FM 212R Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 15, 2009

Purchased from: soundlive.co.uk

Features: This amp was made in 2005 I think. Despite all of the reviews out there I am going to have too disagree with the majoraty of them as they state the amp sounds muffled and damppened which I did find when I first bought this amp, but once I had taken it to band practise it seemed to come out of its shell I think the speakers broke in or something but now the amp sings out with my Ibanez rg. It suit me down too a tea playing mostly metal I have it constantly on the more Drive channel. It deffenatle will suit any style as I have found playing some blues on the regular Drive channel. Also the clean channel is realy crisp which puts this amp out near the top in this price range and could proberbly beat other amps in higher ranges. The reverb is a classic Fender reverb which I tend to just keep on three. Over all for waht I use it for it does the job. // 9

Sound: I use an Ibanez rg with Ibanez inf 4+5 pick ups with the overdrive my guitar has a massive attack with smooth sustain and to top it off the louder the amp gets the better it sounds. In a Live set it will deffenatly stand out as different and cut through the mix. The only problem I have is that when the overdrive is on and the sound level is high it as a small his which get on my nervs but I don't think it's too noticable and goes when you play als the amp has a mid scoop which is perfect for that warm metal sound. // 8

Reliability & Durability: this amp wont blow unless you drop it or if you spill water over it. Its a solid state amp so if it workfine in the first month it will last another 100 years. Even taking it out in the back of the car I couldt imagine it breaking any time even with loads of band practise and Live playing. Also I have spilt beer on it and it didn't even effect it. I just left it over night and it was fine as I didn't realy want to Switch it on if there was any in the circuitry. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal it suits it perfectltly and the odd bluesy improvisation and it take sit all in its stride. I've been palying for 2 and half years and this is realy good and does not disapoint at all. As I didn't really mess around with amp in the store I didn't know about the mid scoop or anything so it was a risk but once it broke in I bloody love it. // 9

FM 212R Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 01, 2010

Purchased from: Steven James

Features: I have had this make of amp for nearly a year now, and I have played every style of music and tried everything out on it so my review will hopefully be insightful. The amp is a very simple 100watt solid state amp, has three different channels clean, Drive and over Drive channels altered by a footswitch that comes complimentary, two mid bass treble volume knobs for different channel settings, two volume and a Drive knob and a simple reverb knob... no nonsense. Very simple to grasp and has a very decent reverb which makes for a fantastic clean surf music sound. Also has a contour button which allows for a classic dampened down distortion which is excellent for old rock/ precious metal songs. I personally would not add to this amp cause it would simply ruin its simplicity. I mainly use this amp in my bedroom jamming with mates and the occasional small gig with my band, however it simply does not have enough power for a decent gig unless miced up. // 7

Sound: I currently use a Epiphone SG g-400 which has 2 Alnico V humbuckers pickups and has a very good sound quality. My music style is ranged as I prefer to play all genres to help with my guitar playing, however I mainly play hard rock and alternative rock in bands. The amp itself has mass amounts of feedback when turned up past 2 on overdrive, this can be unerving to new guitars wanting to practise playing gig volume, it also take alot of tweaking to get a decent sound from it. Best settings when playing on Drive channel is low Drive (reduces feedback) around 7 on treble, 9-10 mid and 5 on bass. However this is just my opinion and may be different for other people. Overall the Drive and overdrive are pretty poor compared to the other amps out there and I wouldn't advice this amp for someone who loves edgy distortion as it is quite weak even when at 10. Mid contour Switch allows for a more classic metal feel and good for covering songs form artists such as bryan adams. The clean channel however is another story, it is fantastic and is beautiful to play, with decent room acoustics and the right settings he clean is probably the best out of all other makes I've played into. It is good for playing clean riffs and also for playing lead guitar clean as the sounds quality has had a good work over. However I have come across problems playing open chords with the clean as it becomes very tinny, this can easily be resolved by turning the guitar Switch to neck pickup giving the chords a warmer and fuller sound. Ideal settings for clean would be treble 9, mid 7, bass 7. The reverb also allows for a nice surfing sound to the guitar. This is amp is ideal for surfing music, jazz, soft metal/rock and country. This amp is bad for black metal, hard rock, punk. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I use this everyday and it has never buggered up when playing it in my room or when jamming with friends or at band practise however I had a different experience when using it for a gig. I have only gigged with this amp once and to be honest it was a pretty decent but not very dependable on producing the same sound and needed tweaking many times throughout. I would definitely have a backup spare in future just incase it become unbearable or begins to bugger up as the wiring and circuit boards inside heat easily and also the amp is very vulnerable at the back and the wires could snag and leave you in a bad situation. All day I had no problem with it when practising in the backroom but it buggered up during sound check and repeatedly fluctuated in volume during the set which I found odd so I am getting it looked into. Ever since I bought this amp I have constantly kept it well and used it everyday so there is no neglect. Overall I would say a reasonably reliable amp but not suitable for gigs which require a big sound to rival a loud drum kit. // 6

Overall Impression: I play a large variety of music and it has at times been a perfect match but my preferred sounds (hard rock) is not a good match with this amp as its distortion is weak and very basic, but on a plus it has amazing clean which so far I have found to be second to none. If it was stolen I would possibly go for a different amp but that is because I am going to be playing at bigger venues soon and I need to upgrade. Three things I love about this amp is its clean, its contour Switch and its simplicity, three things I dislike is its Drive (rubbish not worth using) its over Drive (not much better) and its ridiculous volume increase (have to be careful when turning it up). I currently have no other amps but I am soon getting the Marshall Valvestate 2000 AVT150 1 x 12 Guitar Combo to make up for the fenders lack of "ooopmh" in distortion. I would compare this Fender with most other Fender makes. Overall a decent sounding amp with not good drive, but with a distortion pedal you could possibly learn to love this amp for its beauty, simplicity and nice sounding cleans and unique character. A good amp for a amateur guitar player or a professional who wants to play soft music in smaller scale venues. Thanks for reading! :) Peter Clark // 7

FM 212R Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 11, 2010

Features: This amp was made in 2009. It's definitely versatile enough for what I do, which is mainly progressive rock/blues/punk. One feature that really attracted me was the effects loop, since I use a chorus pedal (DOD FX65 Stereo Chorus), as well as a floor-based multi-effects unit (Digitech RP200). (Be careful running pedals through the loop! The amp can "gain-out", causing an ear-piercing microphonic squeal!) I like the bonus of the More Drive channel, the added boost is great for soloing. Sure, there's amps with built-in DSP that you can buy, but if you're looking for a good, loud, no-frills amp, this is definitely one to check out! // 8

Sound: I've owned tube amplifiers in the past, and this, to my ears, easily sounds as good. Granted, I keep the gain at about 4.5, but to me that really does yield that gentle clipping sound that tube amplifiers are famous for. I use it with a Gibson Sonex (poor-man's Les Paul) with a 500T in the bridge, and it sounds fantastic! You can get a great Rolling Stones-style overdrive, and unlike so many other solid-state amps, it doesn't sound sterile. I can't detect any noise whatsoever, even turned up good and loud. The clean channel is excellent as well, especially with a neck pickup, adjust the tone controls a bit and you can get a good jazz/blues tone, especially with a splash of chorus. I wouldn't say this is a "metal" amp, even with the mid-contour button pushed, but for classic tones, it's great! // 9

Reliability & Durability: The thing is a tank! I have a tendency to beat on amps, and this one just asks for more. If anything, the sheer loudness is enough to beat the crap out of the user! In the year I've had it, it's never given me a single problem, ever. It is very heavy, but that's not an issue to me. I definitely would use it on a gig without a backup amp. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play blues, punk, and progressive rock, and this amp easily stands up for those styles of music. If it were stolen, II would either track it down and beat whoever stole it with it, or I'd buy another one. My only gripe is the reverb could be a little stronger, but I can live with that. Compared to other amps I tried before buying it, at the price point, this blew all of them away. Sure, I could have bought a Line 6 or a Peavey (imho, worst overdrive/distortion tone EVER!) with all the built-in effects, but to me that's just more stuff to break down. For a serious, no-frills, plug-in-and-go old-school amplifier, this is an absolute bargain! // 9

FM 212R Reviewed by: Insanity ninja, on november 18, 2010

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: I got this amp second hand, so I don't know the exact age, but as long as it's working I'll be using it. The amp features 2 channels (1 clean, 1 distorted). The clean channel is perfect and the EQ is really sensitive, so make sure you take your time setting it up to get the sound you want. This channel pretty much covers any sort of surf, soft rock and music like that. It also sounds good with my electro acoustic, because of the equalizer. The distorted channel has a "drive" and "more drive" button. I love this feature, flicking between the 2 drives creates a better sound range, if you want a bit more power behind a chorus for example. I've managed to get some great sounds out of this channel, it's not very well suited to metal (which is why it gets a 9 instead of 10), but it's amazing for everything else. The reverb on this amp is awesome, my only problem is that it controls both channels at the same time. I like to have quite a lot of reverb on some clean bits of a song and then very little on heavier parts. The footswitch is rugged and does it's job well, it switches from clean, to Drive and if you want it, more drive. // 9

Sound: I use a range of guitars, but mostly a Fender Strat with a humbucker (bridge position), a Tokai Firebird (mini humbuckers), Fender T-bucket 300ce (semi-acoustic) and a Rally Superstrat (dual 'buckers) for the heavier stuff. I play everything from Acoustic songs such as an Acoustic version of Dirty Little Secret by the All American Rejects, to Clapton, to Lostprophets, to some heavy-ish stuff like Avenged Sevenfold, I also do some classics such as Guns 'n' Roses, ACDC and Led Zep. This amp works for pretty much any of those, but some pedals may be needed to reach the amount of gain needed for metal songs and the like. The clean channel is silent, but the distorted channel gives off a faint buzz (possibly because of my crap leads, or badly grounded guitars) though this is hardly noticeable at higher volumes. This amp excels at high volumes, but it doesn't sound as good if you want to use it as a practice amp on the lower volumes, unless you really want to annoy the neighbours and seriously damage your hearing. It can easily fill small venues with volume to spare, I was rattling windows in the local hall with the volume set at 7. The clean works well at high volumes and maintains it's tone well, it becomes slightly distorted, but this can only be expected when using an amp at high volume. As I've said before, the distortion on this amp sounds amazing, but it lacks when it comes to heavier songs where techniques such as pinch harmonics and sweeps are needed. This amp gets a 10 on sound quality despite the fact that the distortion can't cope with heavy songs, because this part of the review is purely about sound quality, not features. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely use this amp without a backup, as I have many times, it's never failed, the electronics are all sound and the amp itself is built like a tank! // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of music as I said earlier. I've been playing for about 6 years now, but the practice has been pretty much none-stop. I possess 9 guitars altogether (Fender strat, Fender semi-acoustic, Tokai firebird, Rally Les Paul, Rally superstrat, 2 rubbish sgs, a Westfield strat, an Ibanez S420 and hopefully a cheapo Encore LP for renovation soon). I use a range of FX with this amp, just some cheap and cheerful Danelectro pedals, an Electro Harmonix Double Muff and a crappy Zoom G1 for tremolo and delay. If I could've I'd have asked what other amp heads are compatible with this amp, as I have a Line 6 head, but I'm not going to risk 2 pieces of expensive equipment to find out. If this amp was stolen from me I'd be devastated, it's MY amp, it's torn, worn and got stickers everywhere, but that just makes it personal to me. If it was stolen I think the thief would probably break his back trying to run with this amp, it actually weighs about 21kilos I think, so you'd have a hard time nicking it. But I'd definitely replace this amp if anything happened to it. I love everything about this amp, except the lack of high gain, but that's easily rectified with a pedal. I chose this amp over a Vox vt100, purely for the price, that gamble payed off because this amp is fabulous. This amp is amazing for the money, even if you buy one new. At 125 it was a steal, I don't want anything more from this amp, besides that pesky high gain distortion. Thanks for reading, hope it helps :) // 10

FM 212R Reviewed by: musicfreakbw, on april 21, 2011

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Features: I bought this amp upgrading from a hand-me-down 15 watt Fender amp that I got a few years ago. I was playing around with it in the store for a while. I immidatly fell in love with it and had to have it. It came with a foot pedal that had Drive and more drive. It had great reverb too. I also liked the mid countour that was great for a good blues sound. The only thing I didn't like was that when you used the more Drive channel it blasted the volume up. But its a great amp. // 9

Sound: The sound on this amp is amazing. I use mostly use the neck pickup and humbucker on my Fender strat. I play a wide variety in music from blues, rock, and alternative to reggae and ska. This amp hasn't let me down so far in any styles. It can be a little loud at times but its nothing to complain about. I was very impressed by the distortion on this amp but it made me worry about the clean channel. But the clean channel was great! I was very impressed by the sound on this amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this amp for a couple of months now and not once has it over heated or even had the slightest crackle in the sound. It is perfect and I would use it any timie for a gig and wouldn't worry about it at all. If you are looking for an amp that has great sound will never break down on you this is the perfect amp for you. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this amp is great for any style of music except I wouldn't recomend it for heavy metal. I've been playing for almost four years and this is by far the best amp I have ever played on. The only strange problem with the amp was that for the first month of playing it had a very strong odor that would stink up a whole room but it is gone now. I love how good the clean channel is and then you can switch to a great distorted channel. I just wish it had a switch for reverb but overall it is a wonderful amp and well worth the price. // 9

FM 212R Reviewed by: Lachstar, on august 03, 2011

Price paid: A$ 550

Purchased from: Allans

Features: I think this amp was made in 2006. I use it to play generally punk, blues and rock type styles which it is fine for. The features are basic but that suits me fine. It has clean, overdrive and more Drive channels with a contour Switch to take out the mids and give a more metal sound and a reverb effect dial. Simple set up, sometimes less is more, when I want more options I use pedals anyway. It has the standard 2 inputs, line out, footswitch. // 6

Sound: I play loudly the majority of the time because I often use it for jamming. I useless 2 Japanese guitars, a Suzuki Super Sounds 70's model strat copy with all single coils and a Greco ss 400 80's model SG copy with 2 humbuckers, the strat is very bright and trebly through this amp, better for clean though it distorts as you start turning it up. The SG is well suited to the distortion end of things which is what I generally play anyhow. It works fine for punk rock, I can find a nice distortion which is suited to 70's style punk rock. The contour Switch makes it sound more metal if you're that way inclined. The more Drive function does less as you turn it up and unless you want the extra feedback. My band has drums, bass and two guitars and this can sing over the lot quite comfortably without turning it past 7. Overall I'd say good for the price. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I would say generally reliable though I did blow one speaker after having it for about 6 months, though this was probably due to very heavy use at the time. It was still under warranty so I had it replaced for free. It has since had no problems though it can get fairly warm after a lot of use. I would gig without a back up, it's highly unlikely to break down though all equipment can fail at one time or another. // 6

Overall Impression: This amp works fine for me for most of what I do and play at the moment. I like that it is simply a loud rock amp that is worth it's money. I would say though if it were stolen I would not buy another one, though this is more due to the fact that my tastes have evolved since I bought it and I would want more options for sound and tone, overall though a decent amp. // 7

FM 212R Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 25, 2011

Features: Made in China, don't know when. This solid state amp isn't very versatile, since it really is only for cleans. Two channels, one clean one dirty, each with their own 3-band eqs and independent vol. master reverb. Effects Loop, comes with footswitch. No headphone jack or speaker out. // 7

Sound: The clean sound is really good, probably the best I've ever heard from a solid state amp and better than many tube amps. The only exceptions to that would be a Roland Jazz Chorus or Fender Jazz King, both which cost way more so not comparable. Clean it sounds full, warm, punchy and articulate. It really does the Fender name justice in this category. But the dirty channel really really sucks. In fact, I bought a tube amp to replace it and now A/B the two for the best of both worlds. That amp is a British voiced Laney that sounds wonderful dirty but clean not even close to as nice as the Fender, which really illustrates my point. Often a great dirty amp sucks clean and viceversa. Other than that the Fender has a so so reverb. It works ok on about 3-5 but is very subtle. After that it sounds like you're playing in a tunnel, so pretty bad. But unless you play surf music or something that needs loads of reverb, this should be just fine, just don't expect that magical Fender reverb on their higher end amps. As for pedals, it takes them well enough without strange results like pops, crackles and the like, but dirt pedals sound terrible with it. Now this has been my experience with any solid state amp really. I kinda hate dirt pedals in general, so I suppose this is just my opinion, but I wouldn't recommend confiding in if you get this to cover your clean sounds and just get a stompbox for dirt you'll be covered. You'd sound amateur at best. Finally this amp has some serious headroom. I've never had to put the vol. over 5. I play it with two guitars, a PRS with a DiMarzio Super Distortion bridge pup, a really HOT pickup, and it only breaks up ever so slightly at vol. 5. With my Ibanez hollowbody that has really soft pups, it never breaks up, just gets louder. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It is strong as an ox. I've taken it all over the place and it hasn't failed in the least. It might be made in China but I find that is not the most important detail any more. My Laney, for instance, also made in China, has failed already after only a month of owning it. This Fender has had not problems. // 10

Overall Impression: I recommend this amp if you only want a good cleans amp. Combined with a separate amp for dirty you can have an awesome rig for a relatively small price, which is what I did and I am happy. But if you play rock, for instance, and want this as your single choice, skip it. All things considered, it really is faithful to the Fender tradition: great cleans, sucky overdrive. // 8

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ DG-20S 8.3 Acoustic Guitars 08/01/2014