FM 25 DSP Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/05/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Fender: FM 25 DSP
Fender's versatile new FM 25 DSP amp gives you dynamic two-channel operation with a feast of amp sounds, effects and features!
 Reliability & Durability: 7.2
 Features: 7.6
 7.3
 7.4
 7.2
reviews (5) 19 comments vote for this gear:
FM 25 DSP Reviewed by: the1nonlycrazi, on september 20, 2007

Purchased from: Blue Mountain Guitar

Features: This amp has many feature's and although I wouldn't personally reccomend it. It's variety is perfect for beginners testing out what kind of sounds they're really trying to produce. Although I play everything from classical to metal I have to say I mostly play distorted solos. It has great sounds and all, but it's distortion just wasn't doing it for me when I solo'd. // 7

Sound: I have B.C. Rich virgo vampyre that I usually use to play electric with and I usually use the humbuck pick up. Although alone the amp cannot produce that beautiful distortion with a sound effects pedal it's sound can be just as beautiful as a much nicer amp. This amp packs a punch when in it comes to the sound it can fill up large area's fairly well. Although I don't like it's distortion I would say that this amp has a very clean sound even at high volumes. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I don't think that every amp is the same, and I'm not saying this will happen to you if you buy the amp. I had a terrible experience with this amp it shot out during a performance I think that it was because I put the volume and gain to the maximum and the amp couldn't handle the intensity or maybe it was just meant to happen. However I had a one year warrenty and they did fix the amp for me and sine then it has been fine. I believe it was just a dud in the amp because it happened a little while after I bought it. Since then the amp has worked just fine and has been a very decent practice amp for a few years. // 7

Overall Impression: This amp works very well with sound effects pedal's. It has allowed me to create the sound of Metallica's solos to Jerry C's cannon rock to van halens eruption to michael angelo baitoses no boundaries ex. This amp is very good if you modify it a little and once you understand it well it becomes a good friend. I have been playing for about 2 to 3 years and this amp has taken me through those years happily. If it were stolen I would probably cry but I'm saving for a nice amp that I will use for a long time now that I understand more of what I want. However I cherish the time that me and my precious Fender amp spent together. I'm satisfied with this amp nothings perfect, and with almost any amp you will find something you don't like about it. // 8

FM 25 DSP Reviewed by: Rizazzo, on october 26, 2007

Features: This amp is relatively new. It was made I think in 2006. This amp is a little gem. It has a very clean channel which only doesn't break up at high volumes and a multi-channel. In this multi-channel one can set the amp type and the effect one wants. It has very cool amp types including an acoustic simultor, a Marshall fullstack and a metalhead stack, which is my favorite setting naturally. It also has some nice flanger effects and a good tremolo, chorus and reverb, delay, all the effects you could ever want. It lacks the ability to control these effects though. You cannot Switch them on or off with the footswitch, you can only Switch the channel. At 25W this amp remains a practice amp but it has enough power to play relatively small venues and can be cranked to about 8. More than that is bad for the amp. // 8

Sound: This amp has brutal distortion. I mean it's not a mesa but it's good for a 25W amplifier. The low end punches cleanly and the highs are well heard. I like to use it a at bass at 5, treble at 10 and mids at 4. It sounds killer man. I play all sorts of metal and the metal setting is perfect for me. But for others who play classic rock, it also has a nice Marshall setting with crunchy distortion. And for some situations where you require an acoustic guitar and don't want to lug one around, you can always use the acoustic amp setting. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm not ure I'll use this in a gig due to its power but if I had to play a small venue I'd definetly use it without a backup. This is where the solid state circuitry shines. It has never broken down to date but I always smell a weird smell when I put it up to 8-9. That's not good is it? // 9

Overall Impression: This amp rawks! If you need a practice amp to cover all the sounds possible in just one compact 25W, 10" speaker package get this! If it was stolen I wouldn't mind much because it is so cheap. I'd just go straight to the store and get a new one. I've been playing for a year and a half now and this suits metal perfectly, but as I said before, can be used for a variety of other genres seamlessly. The only thing I hate about the amp is that it doesn't have a line out and that it doesn't have a footswitchable effects on/off. Apart from that, I've never been as impressed with another amplifier! // 10

FM 25 DSP Reviewed by: Awesome898, on may 10, 2010

Features: This is a standard FM25dsp. The year is pretty recent because I got it new within the past year or so. This amp was obviously designed for almost all playing styles with settings ranging from jazz to metal amps. There are 2 channels, one with gain and amp types, another with just the basic treble, middle and bass. Both channels can access the effects but effect changing is slow and so is channel switching unless you have a plug-in footswitch ( not included ). This amp has everything I need except it doesn't come with the footswitch and the effect levels are pre-set so you cannot do fine tuning to them. I use this amp for practice at home and I'm sure it would have enough power for a small gig ( I haven't tried it yet but I've been meaning to ). Overall this amp comes with pretty much everything a begginer-intermediate guitarist should ever need. // 9

Sound: I use an Ibanez jem555 and a DigiTech RP255 effects pedal with this amp. Even with the high end Ibanez and all the effects my DigiTech offers, this amp powers through all of it very nicely. My music style is an odd mix. I prefer to play either soft ( ex. Dream on by aerosmith ) or rock ( ex. Scream aim fire by bullet for my valentine ). The amp is extremely quiet when you aren't playing is but it does face problems after taking the volume past "8". I recommend never passing this level because the amp goes nuts at that point. This amp is very good at clean cut distortion and smooth sounds. Sadly I did notice that with anything "murky" the low notes make the floor shake. The amp effects and different amp types are good but once you extend into a certan effects area you will wish the amp had more fine tuning for the effects. The distortion can become brutal but only when you want it to. By this I mean if you pump up the gain to "10" its gonna howl so if I were you I would always keep gain low around the 3-5 area. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is amp is very reliable. Through all the time I've used this amp and accidentally bumped into it with various objects, it has held as if it just came out of the store. I would probably take a backup with me to a gig just because I would be afraid of accidentally blowing out the amp because I haven't really seen much of what it can do at high volumes and extreme distortion levels. The amp has never faced problems and for that I absolutely love it. If you an amp to take a bit of action I would go for this baby. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is an amp I wish I couldve started out on. It still serves as a great practice amp and its affordability and quality make it a great product. Aside from a few minor flaws that could easily be fixed by the next model, this goes above what I expected from it. I recommend this to all beginners and anyone who doesn't quite know where they are headed with guitar. This amp perfectly matches my needs and I never consider having to upgrade. I would have liked to ask about a footswitch for this before buying it because that came as a small shocker to find no fottswitch in the package. If this were lost or stolen, I would probably end up getting this amp and at the least it would be in one of my top3 amps for a cheap but still reliable amp. The effects turned out to be a disappointment but were easily made up for in the different amp types.I actually compared this to a Roland Micro Cube and the 100 watt version of this. I decided I just wanted a practice amp so the 100 watt was out of the question and guitar center didn't even have a Roland microcube and since that's where I get my guitar supplies, the fm25dsp was clearly the right choice and I was not dissappointed. // 9

FM 25 DSP Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 01, 2010

Purchased from: ebay

Features: I basically play guitar for my own enjoyment and purchased this amp on ebay thinking I was getting a great deal. The amp has the usual 2 channels (clean and overdrive) plus it has effects. I'm probably not fully qualified to comment on all of the features. I have no issues with the effects. I wonder (as have others here) if the amp "modeling" reflects the actual sounds of the actual amps they are intended to model. I'm unimpressed with the "modeling". // 5

Sound: I have played a MIM Strat, a 60th anniversary Tele and an Ibanez GIO through this amp. The power supply for the power amp stage is not a regulated power supply and the power supply ripple is apparent when you play notes on the high E string. It makes the string sound as if temolo has been applied. The sound in this case is very dissappointing. It sound lovely and clean through headphones because the preamp operates off of regulated power. // 3

Reliability & Durability: I tried to resolve the power supply ripple issue by replacing the filter caps... What a disaster! When I disconnected the circuit board from the transformer by pulling on the spade lugs several traces on the printed circuit board cracked. It took several hours to diagnose and repair the problem... Only to find that changing the power supply filter caps did not fix the problem. I would not trust this amp to travel anywhere. // 2

Overall Impression: I can't comment on how this amp may be a match for my playing. I enjoyed the effects, but was completely turned off when I started to hear the unintended tremolo. From observing the amplifier's response on an oscilloscope I can tell you that the "clean" channel is not clean... Distortion is easily seen regardless of gain setting. // 3

FM 25 DSP Reviewed by: ilikekfc, on november 05, 2012

Purchased from: GAK

Features: I do not know where the amp was made but I would have a strong guess it was made in china. It is a versatile amp and you have to remember that it is a practise amp, but it does have a decent enough sound. It has 2 channels, a clean and an overdrive, it also has a good selection of effects that work pretty well. It has a headphone socket and foot controller socket. // 9

Sound: The sound is alright for what the amp is, but there is a lot of buzzing when its on the clean channel but not when its on the overdrive. It sound good when you are just practicing but if you turn it up, it starts to sound really tinny and its not a great sounding amp when turned up, if you want to get a good sound for your bedroom than it is a good amp. If you have a pick-up with a really high output than the clean channel with overdrive, I used my Les Paul with a Seymour Duncan jeff beck and it was very over driven. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It has been used at a few gigs and it survived being turned up but I get the feeling its about ready to blow up. Its never let me down but I would definitely take a back up. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression is, good value for money, its great for house practice and if you mic it up at gigs it would definitely survive. If it was lost or stolen I would be upset because its a good little amp but I wouldn't get angry and go on a rampage, I would probably saved up for a 212 version if I new about the volume, but you live and learn. If you want a cheap, good sounding practice amp than this is a good option. It would also make a great beginner amp. // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Jaguar HH Special 8.2 Electric Guitars 11/12/2014