FM 65 DSP Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 02/02/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Fender: FM 65 DSP
An affordable, easy-to-use addition to Fender's top-selling FM family, the new FM 65 DSP features quality amp modeling and DSP effects (including reverb, delay, chorus, tremolo, Vibratone and combinations).
 Features: 8.5
 9.2
 9.2
 9.1
reviews (2) pictures (4) 18 comments vote for this gear:
FM 65 DSP Reviewed by: Colohue, on november 21, 2008

Purchased from: www.soundslive.co.uk

Features: This Fender Amplifier is a bridge between the FM 25 DSP and it's more powerful relatives. It is made to be both a loud practise amp and an amp for gigging. Due to this it has trouble being particularly quiet, but makes up for it in a loud environment. Using the amp type controls it can be used for a varied range of musical styles. From Rock and Metal to Jazz and relaxed Acoustic music. It has the typical overdrive channel, but also has the Fender Clean channel. These can be switched between either with the button on the amp or with the two Switch foot pedal. The pedal also gives the option of turning on or off the effects, though it gives no options of effect type or effect strength. For those you have to go to the amp itself. It has a headphone jack and an auxiliary input for playing music through the amp. This means you can play something through the amp itself, and play along with it. Because or the range of effects, many of which overlap to give a large range of options, and the amount of amp types there are I find this amp quite versatile. However, you can not Switch between types and styles as easily as with some amps. // 8

Sound: Due to the large amount of options available with this amp you can play in many different styles. When I play I vary and you can easily have your settings tailored to the right sound from many options. However, the real power comes from taking the time to play with each different option until you set it just right. It can take a long time but it is very worthwhile. The distortion levels, when well adjusted, sound just how you want them to. Using this amp you can truly create a unique and distinct sound. It can also go very loud, which is what you want for rock and metal genres of music. The clean channel is not made to be too loud. It's made to be soft and relaxed, but when pushed hard it becomes a little unreliable. However, I do not find this a bad thing for my style of play particularly. // 9

Reliability & Durability: So far this amplifier has been very dependable. I would use it for a gig without having a backup amp. Users are given several tips in the manual to make sure they take the best care possible with it and I've stuck to them. As such there have so far been no break downs or issues with it at all. I am happy to report it has so far been completely problemless. // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly use the fourth 'British' setting. It has the highest level of overdrive other than the 'Metal' settings but does not overpower the dynamic range. I pair it with a Fender Stratocaster. So far it seems to match up marvellously. The manual covered everything I needed when first getting it. I mostly use chorus+reverb setting at a fairly high level. It adds a nice twist to my rhythm play, but for lead I tend to use low levels of reverb. If it were lost I would most definately buy the exact same model again. // 9

FM 65 DSP Reviewed by: Brad.milbrn95, on february 02, 2011

Purchased from: Pawn 1

Features: I bought this 65 watt, 1x12" solid-state combo amp almost new in 2010 from a pawn shop, and love its versatility. I play anything from mellow, clean tone rock to muddy grunge to piercing, high-gain metal. This amp has settings to fit any of those types and then some. Here are its features: 2 channels (Dirty and Clean) with individual volume, treble, and bass controls 7 amp models- Blackface, British, Hot Rod, Metal, Acoustic, Jazz, and Tweed 6 built-in effects- Chorus, Flanger, Tremelo, Vibrato, Delay, and Reverb Footswitch for switching between channels and turning effects on and off Auxiliary inputs so you can play recorded music through it Headphone jack // 9

Sound: I use a cheap Strat lookalike that I have installed a dual-rail humbucker in, and it plays great through the amp. This is only my second amplifier, my first being a lousy 10-watt Fender. Needless to say, the FM 65 blows it out of the water as far as sound quality goes. I have, however, played on a lot of amps in stores, and this one stands up pretty well to higher-end models. The cleans stay clean, no matter what volume you play at. The distortion, once you gain it up and put it on the Metal setting, can knock you on your ass pretty well. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is pretty tough, and I've yet to have any troubles with it thusfar. I wouldn't carry a backup if I gigged with it. I don't know if it would be big enough to handle bigger gigs without a P.A. system, bu that's just conjecture. I've never had to get it past 7 before the thing was about to blow my eardrums. It doesn't have any tubes or anything, so it's pretty low maintenance. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about three years, and I play a lot of high gain rock/metal. While the FM 65 can handle most styles, I still prefer to use my DigTech Grunge Distortion pedal for the really angry tones. It cleans up great, and has awesome versatility thanks to its easy-to-use amp model settings. If I lost it, I'd probably end up with something similar to this one, or I'd opt for a head/stack setup. I played other amps pretty extensively before I bought this one, and for the price and features, this was the obvious choice. I am a bit sad, however, that the FM 65 doesn't have much for controls on its effects. You can't change depth, speed, or anything else but intensity. But that's to be expected from built-in effects, right? Really solid amp. It should last me for a long time. // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Modern Player Jaguar Bass 9 Bass Guitars 09/15/2014