Frontman 10G Review

reviews (4) pictures (2) 15 comments vote for this gear:
Frontman 10G Reviewed by: Primarius, on august 04, 2010

Price paid: € 65

Purchased from: Mitros Music

Features: The smallest in the Fender Frontman series. The 10G has output of 10 watts into 4 ohms. It was introduced to the markets in 2007. It's weight is 8.5 lbs. (3.8 kg) so it's quite compact if you want to carry it around. Features 1 channel. It's controls include an Over-drive switch, Gain, Mater Volume, Bass and Treble. It has a 1/4" Instrument Input and a 2-Band EQ. Other features include a 1/8" input that allows you to plug in headphones for silent practice. And another 1/8" input for your CD player, drum machine etc. so you can Jam along with. For the price paid the features you get with this good amp for practicing in your home, you get some cool features. Good for starters and those who travel a lot. // 6

Sound: Though I play lot's of stuff on Acoustic guitar I also have a Vintage guitar from the V6 series which is somewhat a good copy of a Fender Strat. I play lot's of stuff and use a lot of settings. The clean sound is very satisfying. The distortion you can get isn't too special though. Using a good effect would help solve this issue though. On max this little 10 Watt amp will make your whole flat vibrate. It's really what it says on the label: a wide range of sound from Blues to Metal with Legendary Fender clean tone. Now don't get me wrong here, it's not EPIC or anything, but what I got for the money I paid is quite good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Fender is a brand that sells. Reliable reputation is what got me going. Honestly I was going to buy another amp, but even the shop clerk advised me to get this one since it will last longer. And since the clerk recommended this amp which is cheaper than the one I almost got I can tell he was honest and had some bad experience with the other one. So far, not a scratch on it. Sounds the same as the day I bought it. No rapiers, no parts replaced nothing. It's good, looks as strong as a rock. Since it's a practice amp it will just sit around in your room and won't really be damaged by anything. If you drop it a little or hit up something while you travel, you probably won't have any special damage on it. // 10

Overall Impression: So to get this down for the last time. It's just an amp you could use to practice at home. Could take it on a Jam with others, but that's about the end of the story. It can produce quite a sound for such a small amp which is really impressive. It's so cheap and beat others in the same category that cost a lot more. Only reason I got it, like I said, is to practice in my flat and also I can carry it with me when I travel. I mainly play blues and rock and with the right settings it's quite good. If it were lost or stolen? Won't lie and say I'd go rushing and buy it again. But the chances are I might if I couldn't find anything better. So for practice and easy travel and low cost with good quality for the price, this is one of the amps you'd want. The lack of features will end up getting the better of you probably, though using some effects will help. I would recommend getting a Boss pedal for distortion. Behringer is a cheaper alternative. If you have a little more money, going for the 15G or 15R for the extra features isn't such a bad idea either. Also the 10G is probably much cheaper in your country than in mine, so probably a good investment for a such a low price. // 8

Frontman 10G Reviewed by: gradcore, on january 28, 2011

Price paid: C$ 45

Purchased from: Long & McQuades

Features: First of all I am basing my ratings on what this amp is: a beginner amp. Just because I may give something an 8 doesn't mean its as good as a Marshall JVM. I am not really sure what year this amp was made in...or even if I bought it new or second hand. This amp has no versatility at all for the music I play. I play Hard Rock and Metal and its just not working out. But in all honesty this was my first amp and it worked out great for my first year playing and it got the job done. This amp has a 2 band EQ (Treble and Bass) and has a volume and gain. Has two channels: clean and Overdrive. // 5

Sound: I have three electric guitars: an Epiphone Les Paul Custom; An Ibanez RG370DX w\EMG Active Pickups; and a Jay Tursor Strat Copy. And no matter what I do the amp sounds extremely treble-y. Even with bass on 10 and Treble on 1 it is a really treble-y sound which really turns me away but as I was saying for a beginner amp its alright as you don't really pay attention to that stuff when first starting. The amp is surprising not very noisy and can get EXTREMELY LOUD! I swear it could pump more volume than my Peavey 50 watt tubed. This amp has no versatility at all. I would say if anything it would be best suited for punk music? The distortion isn't very brutal at all but the clean channel is what got me. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Well...I've owned this amp for 3 years without a single problem at all. It sounds exactly the same as the day I bought it (which I am fairly certain I bought it used so who knows how old it is!) But to be honest I haven't taken it anywhere or done anything to hurt it at all so I can't really see why anything would go wrong. It just sits in my bedroom and gets used about once a week. // 10

Overall Impression: Basing it on being a beginner amp; I guess I can't really complain about too much. Not much versatility when it comes to sound but I mean thats expected when you are buying a 10 Watt solid state amp...If it where stolen or lost I would probably hunt the guy who stole it down and rip his face apart. Not because I think the amp is amazing or anything; it just has sentimental value to me. Its my first amp and I still have it and it still works great! // 7

Frontman 10G Reviewed by: patbuck2, on february 23, 2011

Features: I'm not sure what year mine was made. I got it used from a friend in 2008. And even then, it looked pretty old and used already. This amp isn't very versatile. It was my first amp and that's really all I recommend it for: beginners. Well, even for a beginner, I would recommend a better amp. But I got this thing for $5 so I guess it was worth it for a beginner to just have something to start with. It has a tiny bit of overdrive that really sounds like crap. Even at that time when I barely understood tone, I thought the overdrive sounded horrible. It was just scratchy and painful to listen to. I guess the clean sounded decent for a beginner who doesn't care too much about tone. It's one channel, no effects, has a headphone jack. I only used this in the bedroom. I had to borrow someone else's amp when I had to play for a school talent show. // 5

Sound: I used a Johnson Catalyst back when I used it. It doesn't really suit any particular style. Give it to a beginner with a distortion pedal and they'll do whatever they want for the time, as I did. I played a lot of Tool and System of a Down at the time that I used it. So I rarely even used the amp's tone, instead using a tone-sucking distortion pedal in its place. The overdrive was noisy. The settings didn't effect what little tone was already there. I just cranked the bass at the time and left treble and mid in the middle. No particular reason for those settings at the time, I just picked those settings early on and never touched them again. There isn't much variety in its sounds. The overdrive is weak. There isn't much tone there. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I never really gigged with it. The amp was actually already quite old and used when I got it. Hence the low price tag. I actually don't have mine anymore because it broke. It was breaking down when I got it and I used it up until it couldn't go any longer. The back panel was falling out. The treble and mid knobs eventually stopped working. The headphone jack didn't work. It was a piece of junk but it was alright for the time for a beginner. // 3

Overall Impression: When I had it, I played a lot of 90's alternative rock and metal. Nowadays I don't really play any of that. I am into really nice clean tones and light overdrive these days. I play a lot of classic rock now and some other random modern bands that remind me of classic rock. I've been playing for 3 years. I liked that it was a good amp for beginner at the time. What's bad about this amp is its lack of any real tone and the overdrive sounds terrible. I would recommend a few other amps to any beginner before this one, but I got this for practically nothing. I wish I had gone with a Roland microcube, but whatever. This one served its purpose at the time. Don't buy this. That's all I really have to say. If you want a good beginner amp, go with a Roland microcube or a low watt tube amp. // 4

Frontman 10G Reviewed by: tommycartmell, on august 17, 2011

Features: What can I say, what a perfect little amp the Fender Frontman 10G is! I mainly use it for playing at home and for band rehersals and it could well be used to go live with as well! It only has one effect which is overdrive and it only has one channel but it aslo has a aux. Imput and a universal headphones imput too. If Fender were to redesign the amp, I wish they would give it an effects loop and more on-board effects. Overall a whopping little amplifier perfect for my style and, in my opinion, the Fender Frontman series are the best amps available. // 10

Sound: I own a Yamaha Paciica 112V and mostly use my humbuker pick-up and it sounds perfect for my style (heavy metal/rock). Its sound in amazingly loud for such as small amp, I mean blimey!, on full volume it can easily equal a 30w Marshall amp! It has loads of variety and can cover most types of music easily. If you turn it to full volume on the clean channel is does become slightly disorted, but still sounds ace! The distortion, well, at full volume... Sounds like a chainsaw on a blackboard, but it can be adjusted and it sounds perfect. You just need a little patience. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is VERY reliable. You could throw it off a stage and it would still work. Mine has never broken down or suffered a short circuit or ANYTHING, Fender build quality put it that way. You could happily use it at a gig, but if its a large room or outdoors you may need a back-up amp or a chorus unit. // 10

Overall Impression: It sounds so good and it does very well in keeping the sound full and rich. I am also buying a Fender Frontman 25R and using both at once using a chorus pedal. If your a beginner or a expert needing a durable amp like me this is for you. And with its perfect sound and matching quality you can`t go wrong // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Jazzmaster - Lee Ranaldo Signature 8.6 Electric Guitars 12/19/2014