Hot Rod Deluxe Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 02/23/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Fender: Hot Rod Deluxe
Three-channel hot-rod all valve combo; two 6L6s deliver 40 watts into 1x12" speaker.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Features: 8.8
 8.5
 9.1
 7.8
reviews (30) pictures (10) 37 comments vote for this gear:
Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 13, 2004

Features: 40W at 8 Ohms with one 12" speaker. All tube power and preamp. Tube: Groove Tubes 3 X 12AX7, 2 X 6L6, Solid State Rectifier. Controls: Volume (for the clean channel), Bass, Middle, Treble, Volume (for the overdriven channel), Gain, Prescence, and Reverb. Comes with a two button footswitch. Weighs a ton (I think it like 45 lbs). Oh, it has chickenhead knobs. // 8

Sound: First off, I am a worship pastor for a young church. The team has adapted a Dave Matthews, John Mayer type sound. I personally like SRV. I play a 1970's reissue strat that I've had Hot Noiseless p/u's put in. I also play a PRS Santana SE. Here is how I set up my amp when I plug straight in with no effects: Bass at 4, Middle all the way up to 12, and treble at 6. Gain at 4-6, Reverb at 4, and Prescence at 10. The important thing to know is that this amp is meant to sound a certian way, so the EQ knobs do very little in the big picture. I crank the mid's to get the overdrive growling...and boy does it growl. When I'm not going direct, I'm running through a Vox Tonelab SE plugged into the amps Preamp in. So, it doesn't really matter what amp I use as long as I've got all the tubes which make all the difference in the world. This amp rocks! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Never had a problem with this amp. I've owned it for about a year and a half. I'll rate in a 5 due to Fender's reputation. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, it's a great amp. Not sure I'd buy it again, because I really want a Fender Vibro King now. My taste is getting richer. Maybe a Vox AC30. Anyhow, it is a great amp if you're looking for a Rok'n'Roll, Blues, Blues Rock, John Mayer, or SRV type sound. Not an 80's butt rock amp. // 8

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: piratepirate, on december 12, 2005

Purchased from: Alto Music

Features: The Hotrod is a sturdy, well-built tube amp with 2 imputs and two channel switchings. You can go from clean, to drive (and then add the "more drive" subchannel). The footswitch is very efficient. Thhe sound is beautiful, a nice warm clean tone and a killer distortion, great for rock or blues. The build in reverb and prescence add a nice touch in crafting your own tone. Overall, probably one of the best amps you can find in the price range. I've played on dozens of amps in the 400-600 price range, and this one is by far the best. // 10

Sound: I've been mostly playing through this on a Fender American Tele with your standard single coil settings, and the sparking clean tone and kilelr drive really emphasize the tele's sound and allow it to stand out quite nicely. The tele sound is generally geared towards classic rock and blues with the single coil setup, and this amp's tones really compliment it well. Crystal clean tone, and a nice blues/rock crunch of a drive. The distortion is not the kind I would go for if I were a strictly heavy metal guitarist, although I've partnered the drive with the distortion from my Boss MT-2 and have produced some killer metal sounds, even from my clearly non-heavy metal Telecaster. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a Fender. It's beautifully made, and durable. Plus with Fender's warantee I wouldn't worry about much with this amp. It's just your general kickass tube amp, and it works beautifully. I dont think this amp will break down on me any time soon, and the worst I beleive will happen would be having to replace the tubes, which is an inevitability anyway. I would certainly take it to a gig and not worry myself about a backup, this amp is completely reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a variety of styles, such as classic rock, spanish/flamenco, heavy metal, and blues, and I find I've been able to play just about anything through this amp and achieve a great tone. I've found that the Boss MT-2 pedal partnered up with the drive on this amp produces sick tone that's perfect for playing leads and ripping solos. I've been playing guitar for about 4 years, and I own an Ibanez amp of slightly smaller size and wattage, as well as an Ibanez GRX20 in addition to my Fender Tele. I've played both guitars through this amp and cannot bring myself to complain. This amp is an addition to my rig that I have absolutely no regrets about, and would not hesitate to replace it if some asshole lost or stole it. // 10

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: SoccerRM1, on november 22, 2007

Purchased from: George's Music

Features: This amp by itself is not very versatile, but when combined with pedals and effects, it can produce wonderful tones for any genre. I mostly play blues which suits this amp well. This amp has a Drive and Clean channel and also another selector from drive to more drive. It has 2 inputs, preamp out, poweramp in jacks, but no headphone jack. I use this amp in my hosue and in practices with my band. It provides pleanty of power with its 40 tube watts. // 8

Sound: I use it with a Fender Standard Stratocaster MIM with a SSS pickup style. It suits my bluesy/rock style very well. With my single coil pickups, this amp has some feedback, but this can be controlled. The clean channel sounds great even at high volumes, but the distortion is pretty weak for anything other than blues and rock. My Boss ME-50 Multieffect takes care of the harsher distortions needed for different genres. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this amp for any gig/setting. This amp has never broken down. I have had this amp for about 5 months now with daily use, and the tubes have yet to need replacement. I haven't found any other defects with this amp and is has been as reliable as the day I bought it. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great match for any blues/rock player, but I strongly suggest matching this with some pedals or multieffect. I have been playing for 2 years now and own a Fender Standard Strat MIM and a Boss ME-50. This setup sounds great for what I play and I love the tones I can achieve with my setup. I love that this relatively small amp can pack such a big punch and deliver great tone. // 9

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: JS Donnie F., on september 29, 2005

Features: This amp was made in 2005 and it is a 40W all tube amplifier. It has 3 chanels: the clean chanel, which is absolutely fantastic. Really good Fender clean tones. The second chanel is drive. It is not good for anything heavyer than blues, so and overdrive or distortion pedal is really welcome wiht this amp. The third chanel is called more drive, but it still is not enough for and metal or hard rock. It has an effects loop, but I dont use it so I really can not tell the quality of it. It is 40 watts in a 12" speaker which is plenty of loudnes for band practice or even for a small gig. // 8

Sound: I am runing a Ibanez RG1570 through this amp and with the single coil, the clean sound is great. For distortion I use Boss DS-1 and with the bridge pickup you can get really good metal sound. I mostly play classic rock, hard rock, blues and some virtuoso stuff like Satriani and Vai. It is perfect for blues like SRV and Clapton. The distortion is like I said before weak, so if you only want to play metal - wrong amp. I like the reverb on it and I usualy set it on 4 and the presence on 9. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is very reliable amp, I haven't giged with it, but I would not hink twice of doing it. I have had a blown tube on it, but that was completly my fault. Looks hard as a rock. // 10

Overall Impression: It is quite a good match for the styles I play, but again the distortion is its weeknes. I have been playing for 7 years and I use it with RG1570, Boss DS-1 and a Vox V847 Wah-Wah pedal. I really love the clean chanel on it, because it is just so clean. The reverb is also a food feature, but I don't use any other features. The only thing I wish it had was a bit more gain and it would perfect, but it is still very good the way it is. // 9

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: krehzeekid, on may 05, 2011

Price paid: C$ 700

Purchased from: Avenue

Features: This amp was made in Mexico in, I think, 2008 or 2009. My particular model is the Python Special Edition, which is the same as any other Hot Rod Deluxe except for the Celestion Vintage 30 speaker and the python covering. The features on this amp include: 2 channels; clean and distorted, a more gain Switch for the distorted channel, high and low gain inputs, 3 band eq, presence control, master volume and gain controls for the distortion channel, volume control for the clean channel, a single reverb control, a bright switch, effects loop, a footswitch (included) to Switch between channels and to toggle distortion/more gain and an 8ohm external speaker jack. The amp is a 40 watt 1x12 combo, but it is a little on the big side. The cabinet is an open back design. The amp uses 12AX7 pre-amp tubes and 6l6GC power tubes. The reverb is a short-tank spring driven unit of unspecified origins. The amp came with a cover and features an adequate top handle. // 8

Sound: I use this amp primarily with a G&L ASAT and a Gretsch G-5120, though I've been known to use it with an EMG loaded ESP Eclipse and an EMG loaded Epiphone Les Paul. I use the amp as my clean amp at wedding gigs, so it gets to play a variety of music ranging from polka's and waltz's through to 60's rock. The clean channel on this amp is a real gem. It has a very nicely balanced tone; its not too bright, but it also avoids any flubby-ness in the bass. It is a little bit darker than Vintage Fender amps, but it is arguably more usable as a result. A real bonus of the clean channel is that it stays clean longer than expected, allowing you to run the amp a little bit hotter, which is very nice. The controls, though shared between the channels, allow you to quickly alter the character of the amp between songs or during guitar changes. The reverb is okay; it works well enough at lower settings, but it gets sloppy when pushed past 3 or 4. The distorted channel is a disappointment. At lower gain settings, it is possible to coax out a reasonably good chording sound; think clean with a little added bite. It is a little thin, but careful use of the controls can help to pull it into line. Increasing gain, however, leads to fizziness. The amp simply sounds trebly and thin. All the tight bass is gone, replaced with thin and crackly treble. With very aggressive control use, it is possible to approximate a nice, thick lead tone, but doing so renders the clean channel muddy. Like most Fender amps, this one absolutely loves effects. Using tremolos, reverbs, choruses, vibratos and other more "vintage" type effects is just gorgeous, the amp loves them. More modern effects are treated just as well. Extreme effects, however, should be used with care; it is easy to overwhelm the amp with more extreme effects and you'll get a muddy tone doing so. As far as using distortion pedals goes, moderation is key. Overdrives seem to work quite well (some better than others), as do mid-level distortions. Think classic rock as a maximum, any more and you get mud. Overall, I'm pleased with the amp. I bought it for its cleans, and it performs more than adequately in that regard. It is very quiet in operation and the reverb, though limited, is usable. However, the distortion really ins't very good, and I would discourage people from buying this amp with the intent of using the distortion. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The amp has so far been very reliable. In the 16 months I have owned it, it has seen 30 or so live gigs, as well as daily home practice work and it hasn't so much as made a funny noise. It seems to be very well designed and built, and all the components are reasonably high quality. Though I am quite confident in this amp, I refuse to play without a backup (as of last week, this amp is the backup) simply because tubes always seem to go at bad times. That being said, I do not worry about this amp what'soever. // 10

Overall Impression: I use this amp as both my practice amp and, for the past 16 months, my clean amp at gigs. It has been absolutely Stellar in this capacity. It always sounds good, on the clean channel at least, and it has never required any sort of repairs or servicing. For the money, I think this is one of the better gig-worthy American sounding amps on the market. That being said, it has the distinct limitation of having rather poor distortion. Therefore, I will be careful in recommending the amp to other players. If all they want are cleans, or if they want a foundation on which to add effects, this is certainly an excellent option. However, for somebody who requires one amp that can produce a variety of sounds, I would look elsewhere. This amp is a one-trick pony, though it is really rather good at performing its trick. // 8

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: iforgot539, on february 02, 2004

Features: Doesn't have everything, but the interface is simple and effective. It has a 3-band eq, reverb, 2 channels of overdrive in addition to the clean channel. They give it overdriven sound any volume, but it doesn't sound as good on these as it would by cranking it or getting a tube overdrive pedal. It also has an effects loop, although i'm not a big pedal user, so I don't use it. It is a 100% tube amp. I find it versitle enough for me, I play a range of blues to classic rock to modern rock, and also some hard rock. It has the ability to put out a respectable sound for all these types. It is also very loud for its wattage, it's done fine at the small gigs I've played (haven't played large ones, but it could probably handle them). It's not perfect, but it's pretty versitle. // 8

Sound: I play a customised strat and a gibson V-2 through this, with a pretty wide range of passive pickup outputs. This gives a wonderful natural, unadulterated tube sound, dosn't sound fake. It doesn't produce much extra noise, and a crystal-clear sound at low volumes with sweet, fat tube overdrive at high volumes. I love this amp's sound. Absolutely marvelous. It won't fuck with your tone when you don't want it to, it brings out the true soul of your guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've never had problems, but that dosn't mean much, I've only had it like 10 months. I don't see any about to happen. It does have tubes, though, so be careful with it. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this amp. It's pretty vintage apearance to it's beautiful tone. I don't see the need for a replacement untill I get playing really big gigs. I love its sound, sweet and pure. None of that crappy distortion you get from a DSP amp, this is real, pure tube sound. It sounds like its actually a guitar making the sound, it sounds pure and unadulterated. Unless you turn it's footswitchable drive circut on. It's not horrible, but not as clear as I would like. But I can't really expect to much of that when playing it quiet. The decision to get it came on personal suggestions, reading the frontline catalouge, and then trying it as well as every other amp in the store. They all pointed to this line of amps, (pro junior, Blues Junior, this one, deville, deville 410) and this was the best match for me in terms of size and sound of those. Brillian amp, wouldn't give it up. // 10

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: mogz, on february 07, 2005

Purchased from: Local Store

Features: Here we have a 2004 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. This amp will play just about anything, and for the moment it seems versatile enough for my needs. I play rock, blues, and country. The Hot Rod Deluxe comes with 2 channels the clean and the drive channel each with their own seperate boosts (bright, and more drive respectivly). A footswitch was included with the amp and it allows for fast and easy channel switching. There is an input for effect loops. I like my amps plain so basically there isnt many features that I wish it had, I guess if I had to choose one though maybe have another channel for say a crunch sound. I hardly ever use the more drive channel option as I dont like to hear my guitars through it. I use this amp for everything for 40 watts tube this puppy can really bark. // 10

Sound: I use it with many different guitars ranging from a Standard Strat, to a Rickenbacker 360 6 string. This amp suits my music style to a 'T'. It is capable of pulling off the bright sounds of country all the way to the grungy sounds of neil young. It's noisy with my holobodys, it doesn't do them any justice in the feedback department heh, but thats basically normal. This amp can make the nice clean sound of old Nashville Country Recordings, and grungey rock sounds of '90s. The clean channel is nice in that it breaks up around 6-7. I figure if you buy a Fender amp your not buying it for its distortion, but they indeed have a respectable channel, although I'm not found of the more drive. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this amp. If I was playing a gig though I would always be sure to bring extra tubes, this goes the same for every amp though. As of yet this amp has not broken down, and doesn't look like its going to in the near future. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a good match for my style of music, and it must be for other peoples to or else it wouldnt be the best selling tube amp ever. I've been playing for 4 years now, and I own lots of gear. When I bought this product I wish I would have asked for a free service check. If it were stolen I would buy it again, but I would probably try to find a different color besides the standard black tolex, maybe the blond or the white. I love the look, and I hate the more drive channel. I didn't compare it with any other products, usually when I have my eyes set on a certain peice of equipment I don't focus on anothing except that peice of equipment. I wish it would have came with that Fender reverb tank upgrade, for free heh. // 10

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: Grungic, on may 03, 2005

Purchased from: Nsons

Features: Well the amp was made in 2004 and it is really a piece of work. No effects just 2 channels of overdrive and clean (which is crystal clean) and regular effects loop with spring reverb. 40 W of tube power which mean a real punch with the volume on the lower levels. I think it's overly powered this amp for 40W, through a 12" speaker. If you wanna play something from Blues to some classic rock this is the perfect match. If you want some metal just plug in some pedals. Made in the USA. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Fender Strat through single coil and it's the best match. However it workd really fine with an Epi or Gibson with humbuckers. There is no noise at all and even a newby to guitar playing would throw the wall away with it cause it makes you sound perfect. For me, I play blues rock, classic rock and some metal and I don't need anything more to do the job. The distortion could be improved cause it sounds kinda weak in terms of gain. But it's just a little problem on the overall. Still perfect for blues rock. If you have a family and you don't want to get them deaf don't play in your bedroom. Maybe in a garage, but that's only an advice. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well I think I could jump on this amp and it wouldn't broke. It's really solid and heavy. I own it for a year and the tubes are perfect even playing a lot like 3 hours every day. I really recommend it for those who want to play in clubs or small gigs. I doubt it even need a mic! I would depend on it without a subsitute on any gig. // 10

Overall Impression: what can I say more it's made in the US, it's solid as a rock and it sound like heaven. I would buy another one if this was smashed which I consider impossible and compared to the more dusty tone of Marshall I prefer this one. It just suits me better, blues rock and classic rock thats what it stands for. Just wish it had a better overdrive but it's quite perfect yet. I can't really comply with it. Heavenly amp and the best for it's price! Try it. // 10

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: dewthedew2323, on september 30, 2005

Purchased from: Dave

Features: This is a 2005 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. It is a 3 channel, 40 watt, tube amp. It has a absolutely beautitul clean channel, a decent overdrive channel, and a kind of crappy "even more" overdrive channel. I play through a Boss DS-1 though into this. I love the clean sound and all the sounds I get from all my pedals. I play mostly hard rock, blues, and a little metal. It really fits all my styles and I just get a really big, solid sound out of it all the time. It has an effects loop that I have tried but I dont ever use. I use this amp for practicing, playing with the band, and I've gigged with it before and plan to again. // 9

Sound: Right now I use a Squier Strat, but that is way past it's prime (well I guess it's prime didnt really exist) so I actually have a Gibson SG with Seymor Duncan '57 classics in on the way right now. I've played that out of my amp plenty of times though and it's just the most beautiful sound ever. I can really get any tones I want and have never encountered a bad sound except for when I've tried to use the amp's distortion. Beautiful sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very reliable and built to last. Fender is a realiable brand, and this thing has been through alot and is still holding up fine. I've never blown a tube or even damaged any parts. I use it right though and always do correct switches and such. // 10

Overall Impression: Love it! I would play off of this amp anyday. I really didn't think I was getting all that I thought I should when I bought this and it totally proved me wrong! I can do more with this amp then ever anticipated! If this were lost/stolen I would buy it again in a heartbeat. // 10

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: vampwizzard, on april 01, 2006

Features: Two channels, clean and overdrive, and a more overdrive that adds another gain stage to the overdrive channel. It has an effects loop in terms of preamp in and poweramp out. Reverb is a plus, all tubes 40 watts. It's got balls like no other amp, really loud with great Fender tube tone. The equalizations affect a large range. // 10

Sound: Fender Strat with noiseless pickups make this amp a beast. You get the Texas blues sound and some great classic rock. Slide playing sounds very crisp on this amp. It can even do metal with a little help. Feedback is easy to get when desired, and it rarely feeds back unintentionally. It's a little noisy, but thats probably from outside sources with 60hertz hum. The clean is palatable to your classic rock clean, and the overdrive is just that: pure tube enriched powerful tone. It takes a lot for the amp to really break up, but it sounds good at low volumes too. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Our lead guitarist has been using it for over 5 years with only one instance of having it not work, which was when he decided to replace the tubes but not rebias the amp. That was his own fault. This thing has had the speakers replaced, again by choice, and sounds just as good, if not better, than it did brand new. It is the most rugged amp in our group. // 10

Overall Impression: Classic rock and blues is our style, and this amp fits perfectly. We've been together for several years, and have opened for Pete Best, and have played several gigs on our own. This amp has incredible bang for the buck, only 500 dollars for a 40 watt loud amp. Overall, it's a nine in my book, only because I wish the overdrive could be a touch tighter. // 8

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: Eddyripdeal, on april 14, 2006

Purchased from: Cyberstore

Features: Made in Mexico in 2004. 40 W all tube amp. 2 channels (clean and drive). The drive channel can be "booste" by buttontouch to mre drive. It's got a springreverd and a prexence. Reverb, middle and bass are controlable. Use it everywhere and anywhere. Footswitch (clean/drive/more drive) was included. // 8

Sound: I use a Yamaha Pacifica, Ibanez Artcore and a Epiphone Joe Perry Boneyard LP on it. I play covers of all kinds and the amps suits perfectly. The amp has a light backgroundhum, not enoying. The amp has a very nice clean sound, never heard a better clean than this (owned a Line 6 and a Marshall before) it's the bast base to start experimenting. The drive channel misses punch, but will do for standard rocksounds. I don't like the drivechannel at all. For the extra crunch and punch I use a Vox Bulldog Distortion, which goes skyhigh in combination with the amp. The amp is loud! On volume setting 2 it starts ripping your ears. No amp to be used in the homekitchen. Anything under volume 2 doesn't impress at all. Very good stageamp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Sloid finish, heavy housing. I put some wheels under the amp (weighs a ton)and because it's a tubeamp, I take extra care during transport. I have it a year and it didn't let me down yet. It follows me everywhere I play, I don't want and don't need another amp. If you treat it right and follow the instructions, it should last a lifetime. // 8

Overall Impression: I compared it to an Engl thunder, Fender Blues Deville, and other tubeamps. The Hot Rod Deluxe is an allrounder that can satisfy 90% of guitarists. It's clean sound is spectacular and is the doorway to all styles. If you plan to buy effects, try them first. I wanted to buy a tonebone, but it didn't word on the deluxe, they really didn't like each other. I like the fact that it is a no-nonsense amp, plain, simply, sturdy and reliable. // 8

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: jrthegreat91, on june 02, 2006

Features: This is a 2005 model Fender Hot Rod Delux 1x12 using groove tubes. It's got 2 channles clean and overdrive and a extra overdrive option that gives it a little extra boost. Comes with a pedal to switch from clean to overdive. The thing that really attracted me to it was the price 600 us really fit my budget. I only use this amp in my house now but I will soon be playing in small gigs and the 40 watts of all tube power is more than enough to make yourself hear. It's got chicken head knobs and the thing I really like about the amp is the knobs do not get hot after a while of playing like some amps do. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Gibson SG Standard through this amp and it sounds great. The reverb is amazing along with the clean channel. The clean channle is perfect the only problem is the overdrive. Its not completly horrible it just delivers a very muddy overdrive so I would suggest getting a pedal for it. Even with no pedal this thing can still rock making a good classic rock tone but I still highly recommend. If your going for a heavy rock or heavy metal tone unless your planning on getting a pedal this amp is not the amp for you. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't owned this amp for very long but its already outlasted my Marshal JCM2000 wich was constantly in the shop. It handles exelent at high volumes delivering a perfect tone at any volume, even though I havnt had the volume past 5. It's also very well made from what I can see and can take it's share of wear and tear. // 10

Overall Impression: This thing stock can handle Zeppelin, Hendrix, Beatles, and stones tunes great. The only thing I can compare it to is my old marshal and so far its far more reliable but the marshal did have a really good overdrive but once again this can all be fixed with a great pedal. The only thing complainable about this amp is the overdrive which isnt even that bad but again the clean is absolutley beatufil. // 8

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: truthordarerox, on june 19, 2006

Features: This is a US made amp. It is 40 watts of tube power being channeled through a single 12" speaker. It uses 2 6L6 groove tubes (awesome) and 3 12AX7 tubes in the preamp. There are 3 channels: clean, drive, and more drive. It comes with a footswitch to go between the channels. This is a very cut and dry amp, with what you need and nothing you don't. It is loud enough for small gigs, and I've heard stories of it powering cabs. I personally just use it in my own home, and it can shake some walls. // 10

Sound: I currently use this amp with a Gibson Studio LP with stock pickups, and a Schecter S1 Elite with some kind of Seymore Duncuns. I play a lot of blues, rock, and a wee bit of metal. For the first two mentioned, this amp is fantastic. They name suggests that this is a blues amp, and that's basically what it is. It puts out some of the best cleans I've heard, and the OD is perfect for creamy blues sound. If you play anything demanding high distortion, expect to be buying a pedal. I have a Line 6 PODXT Live, and when I play it throught this amp on the clean channel with distortion, it sounds great. the clean channel gets some break up above 5 or 6 volume, but this is louder then I'll ever use. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would never gig without a backup, but if I was to this would be the amp to do it with. I've had it for over a year and the tubes still sound good as ever. I play 1-2 hours a day so it gets some major use. // 10

Overall Impression: For my blues/blues rock style, this is my amp soul mate. I've been playing for almost 2 years now and own a Cordoba classical, a LP, a S1 Elite, and Squier, and a practice amp. This amp is my favorite piece of equipment asides from the LP. If it got lost or stolen, I'd probably buy a stack, but if I was rich I would get this again too. I wish it had a little bit better distortion, but for 600 dollars I'd say it's a damn good amp. // 9

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: whitey314, on february 12, 2007

Purchased from: music shop

Features: I bought this amp last year and absoultly love it. It's 40 watt tube amp but is louder then any of my friends 100 watt marshalls. It has 3 channels clean, overdrive and more overdrive. a 3 band eq and presence and reverb. This amp is quiet versatile and is perfect for Live and jam situations. // 9

Sound: I use an ESP EC-200QM with EMGs HZ-4s and can get an awesome tone with the clean and overdrive channels. I play mostly heavy rock, metal and a bit of alternative ie Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Nickelback, Velvet Revolver, Pantera, Stone Temple Pilots etc which in most cases the amps distortion doesn't get the high gain need but with my Boss MT-2 I can get killer metaltones that would rival the marshalls. But overall the amp is quite versatile especially with a high gain distortion pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have never had a problem with this amp and would depend on it in any situation (live, jam sessions or just bedroom practice) and would not even think about a back up. This amp has never broken down on me and I punish it at least 3-4 hours a day. This amp ways a ton and is built like a truck. The weight being the only downside. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a good match for nearly all forms of rock and is a reasonably priced tube amp. You would only need a pedal if you wanted to play stuff with higher gain. If it was stolen or lost I would hunt down the guy that stole it and belt him into next week! and then buy another or a Mesa Boogie if I had the money! Compared to other amps of similar price this amp leaves them for dead with tone and versatility. // 10

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: Swan Song, on february 17, 2007

Features: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe "White Lightning" Limited Edition (only 800 made). This amp was first introduced November 2006. This limited edition version comes with an upgraded speaker (12" Celestion Century Vintage speaker) compared to the regular Hot Rod Deluxe. It also comes with an overdrive channel that isn't very good in my opinion. The overdrive pedal isn't that big of an issue for me because I use a Vox TonelabSE which has numerous effects (to include overdrive). This is a Made in Mexico amp (is there anything manufactured in the States anymore? ). // 9

Sound: I use a Fender MIM Stratocaster (pickups are to be changed soon) & an Epiphone Les Paul Custom. I love the sound and tone that this amp provides!! Unfortunately Fender uses a linear taper pot instead of an AUDIO taper pot. So when turning up the volume it gets real loud very fast. This can be modified but may void the warranty. I am thinking about changing out the power tubes which will cause the volume to not be too loud. It is very clean sounding amp and it definitely suits my style. Other than the volume issue, this amp is downright awesome! // 10

Reliability & Durability: It seems like it is constructed well, only time will tell if it is reliable and durable. From what I have read on the internet, Fender seems like they put out well made and reliable products. Hopefully the same is true with this amp. Currently I don't gig so this is not an issue for me. Hopefully one day I will be good enough to gig and we will see how she responds. // 10

Overall Impression: My style of music matches this amp very well in my opinion. I like Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead, The Edge from U2, Mark Knopfler, Jimmy Page & Adam Jones. I would say that for the most part that this amp is more than capable of handling anything that I (mediocre ability) can throw at it. If metal is not your style then I highly recommend this amp. // 10

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 03, 2008

Features: The features are more useful than most. You can get by with just the amp due to the clean, over Drive and more overdrive cahnnels. The reverb is good as well as the overall sound and ease of use. I am using two deluxes a 2003 and a 2007. I slave the 2003 through the 2007. My style is mostly blues and classic rock. I wish the amp had a bias adjustment on the rear of the amp. // 9

Sound: I use a 57 goldtop VOS and the combination has a great sound. For a lead boost I alternate from a Boss EQ pedal, a Boss Blues Driver and a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive. The Sparkle Drive is a great combination with this amp. Slaving the two amps helps with the volume in a large club and also provides a more depth. The amp does tend to get noisy and I have had to change the tubes in the 2007 amp. I put Messa Boogie brand and it gave the amp a punch. I wish that Fender had provided an extention cabnet for the Hot Rod Series. I see that this year they have. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have had both amps in the shop over the years. The 2003 had a power supply problem and the 2007 had a noise issue. I did change the tubes in the 2007 to messa boogie. Prior to that I was on a gig and the amp lost volume. I had to recover by swithching amps. Since I started slaving the amps I have not had this problem. // 8

Overall Impression: I play blues and classic rock and I really like the sound with the les paul. I have been playing since the early '70s. I own both deluxes, and a 78 Music Man 410 hd 130. I use a 57 Les Paul Gold Top with 57 humbucker, am American Strat which is stock, a PRS 24 custom 10 top, and am ES137 Custom. My effects are a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Boss Blues Driver, Boss EQ and a cry baby wah. If I would loose the Hot Rod Deluxe I would replace it with a Blues Deluxe or possible a deville. // 9

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 03, 2008

Features: Features wise, this amp is brilliant. Not sure what year this amp was made but for 200 a Fender tube amplifier is an absolute bargain. This amp has 2 channels (Obvious clean and Drive) and a gain boost for the overdrive channel called "More Gain". There are two inputs for this amplifier with input number 2 lowering the volume by 6 decibels (or something like that was mentioned in the manual) and therefore if your guitar hums a lot then changing the input should reduce this a bit without you having to change your gain settings. This guitar also has an effects loop but I haven't used it yet so I can't really say much on it as it's just an effects loop at the end of the day. This amp has standard Bass, Mid and Treble EQ but it is split across the two channels which kinda sucks. There is also a really great reverb which goes really deep for some nice atmospheric sounds. The presence dial also brings the amp up for a more "IN YOUR FACE" feel. Overall great features but due to there only being 1 EQ it just doesn't quite cut it. // 9

Sound: I play a 1999 Gibson Les Paul Standard and that thing rips so loud it's untrue (Keep the volume on the amp low at first because it roars even at low volume). I also play a Fender deluxe players strat (American made, 60th anniversary model) and it sounds so warm and creamy that I just instantly fell in love with the sound. I am in a band that gig regularly and so this amp come with me and it has handled some big gigs (Biggest so far being an outdoor gig in Manchester UK) and it handled it no problem. I play a wide variety of styles but mainly rock/indie/blues and this amp handles them no prblem (think The Strokes earlier work) // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would definatley gig this amp without a backup as it has never let me down. Only thing that has ever been changed on it is the tubes at 1 occassion as they started to hum but that's my own fault (long story). Gig and rehearse with this amp at least one 3 or 4 hour session a week and so would never loose Faith in it. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp perfectly fits in with what I need it for and so I would deffinatley reccomend it to any rock/indie/blues/surf guitarist etc. Metal players might want to avoid this amp unless they add a pedal to the mixture but I have done it and it works:-) If lost or stolen I would buy it again. // 10

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: bullseyestrat, on july 10, 2008

Features: Judging from the serial number, this amp was most likely made in 1998. It's American made in Corona, CA and 40 watts rms(180 peak)all tube. This amp uses 2 6L6 tubes in the power section and 3 12AX7/ECC83 preamp tubes in the preamp section. The amp itself features 3 channels; Clean, Overdrive, and More Overdrive. All the channels can be switched by a footswitch. All channels use the same eq's as well as the presence knob. The clean channel has just a volume knob and a small bright switch that tightens things up a bit. The overdrive channels use a master volume amp setup like the older Fenders, Marshalls, and Peaveys. The Hotrod Deluxe also features an effects loop with inputs near the footswitch input. There's also a spring Reverb unit installed. Other features include 2 inputs for high and low gain, extremely durable rubber handle, 12" Eminence Fender Speaker, and a standby Switch. One other notable feature is that all the knobs go from 1 to 12 instead of 1 to 10. Overall it's a nice package for a tube combo. // 9

Sound: At first I had somewhat of a tough time getting a good tone out of this amp. When my Boss sold it to me, the tubes were the original Groove Tubes that sounded thin to me. So I bought a tube probe and some new JJ 6L6 and ECC83 tubes. I installed the new tubes and biased it to the optimal powertube voltage. After that I could dial in a good tone easier. I use various guitars including Stratocasters, Les Pauls, Washburn Idol/7 string, and even a BC Rich Bich. From my experiences, my Epiphone Les Pauls and Fender Strats sound and work the best with this amp. I play lots of rock, heavy metal, and blues music. The Hotrod Deluxe is the perfect amp for me because it can be very loud and it overdrives very well if pushed properly. The amp can be very noisy if turned up loud though especially with distortion or overdrive pedals. It's nothing out of the ordinary though because all my amps feedback a lot at loud volumes. Anyways I keep my settings the same all the time except for the channel volumes. The thing I noticed though is that the 3 band eq doesn't effect the tone all that much. the clean channel sounds very clear and refined especially with a chorus pedal through it. If you turn the volume up on the clean channel past 6-7, it starts to Drive a bit while still sounding clean. On the overdrive channel it sounds a bit undefined, unless you put an overdrive pedal to boost the signal. Once you do that though it sounds kind of like Jimmy Pages tone from the first Zeppelin album. Very warm, overdriven, and clean at the same time. I usually use a Boss SD1 through it to boost the treble and signal. I've also been using a MXR Distortion + and Behringer Vintage Distortion for fuzz. The More overdrive just adds more gain onto the Drive channel. The more overdrive channel is good for hard rock and metal, but it also adds a lot more feedback. So in short the amp by itself can do just about any type of rock music. Just don't expect to get a death metal tone unless you a have a high gain distortion pedal to tweak it with. Overall this amp sounds very good for Classic Rock, older heavy metal, and blues music from my experiences. Not really a distorted amp for death metal and hardcore though. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp looks very sturdy and well built. My boss told me he had to replace the LED once, but that's about it. If I were to tour I would probably use it as clean amp to Switch from my main amp a Peavey VTM 60. Overall I say this is a very reliable amp. // 10

Overall Impression: I was going to go for the Peavey Valveking 112, but my Boss was selling this for a steal of a price so I went for it. The Fender Hotrod Deluxe fits my needs for a portable tube amp very well. I've been playing for almost 5 years. This is my 3rd tube amp and first tube combo. I also own loads of pedals and about 15+ guitars. For a list check my blog at www.myspace.com/gregblsdeth. If it were stolen, I would be rather angry for various reasons. I would probably buy another combo tube amp. I like the way this amp sounds loud, the clean channel, the volume it's capable of, and the price I paid. I don't like how there's a lot of feedback at higher volumes. Also it's kind of heavy(close to 50lb), but I'm a big guy so it doesn't bother me as much. Especially since the other tube amp I have is a 160lb+ halfstack. This amp is good for all types of rock, and possibly death metal if you use a really high gain distortion pedal. I compared it to the Peavey Valveking before I bought this. I'm usually a Peavey guy when it comes to tube amps, but this one won me over. Overall the Fender Hotrod Deluxe is a great affordable tube combo amplifier. I recommend it to anyone looking for a nice tube combo. // 10

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: Satch21, on july 21, 2008

Purchased from: George's Music Store

Features: The Hot Rod Deluxe is a 40-watt all-tube amp, with a single 12 inch speaker, and 3 channels. It does come with a footswitch to go from "clean" to "drive" to "more drive". It's a pretty versatile amp, the "clean" channel is good for chimey Hendrix like sounds (great with a Strat), as well as Jazz, which I play quite frequently. The distortion channel has 2 functions: Drive and More Drive (this is why it's a 3 channel amp). The "drive" channel is great for lighter rock, and blues stuff, like SRV. The "more drive" channel gives a bit more punch, and is good for heavier rock, and soloing. Keep in mind this amp does not have enough gain and punch to handle the metal stuff, so if you're a metal player, this is not the amp for you. Not a bad thing at all, it's a quality amp, you just won't be able to get a real heavy sound suitable for metal if that's what your looking for. This amp also comes with reverb, which I believe is a solid-state reverb. The only complaint I have about the reverb is that I find it a bit sensitive. I keep it at about 3, and it gives just enough reverb for me. This amp does not have any other effects, like flanger or tremolo. This is also not a bad thing, I actually prefer to use effects from pedals than straight from the amp. However, some people may want more effects on their amp. This amp has more than enough power for me. I use it for small to medium sized gigs, and I've never found that I need more volume. However, it's not to loud for practicing in your room. // 8

Sound: I mostly use my Strat with this amp. It gets a nice chimey sound from the clean channel (which sounds stellar), and the Drive channel combined with the Strat are great for blues. It is perfect for what I play, and when I occasionally want to play heavier stuff (this amp does not have enough gain for metal), I plug the input of this amp up to the headphone jack of my G-DEC practice amp. That way I can get a great metal sound. Also, this amp is not very noisy on either clean or Drive, and I never had it distort on a clean setting. I don' think the Drive channels sound quite as good as the clean channel, which is amazing. However, they still sound great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I am very careful with my amp, so I don't know how well it can take a beating. This amp has never broken down, and the tubes are fine. I would assume that you can depend on this amp fine, and that it is very durable. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, The Hot Rod Deluxe is great for funk, blues, jazz, and lighter rock. I play music from SRV, Hendrix, and Phish frequently and it gets the job done. I bought it after I had been playing for about 4 1/2 years, and it was my first tube amp. I think it's great for anyone Who wants a powerful, good sounding tube amp, at a relatively low price. What I love about it is that it bridges the gap between a practice and a performance amp. If it were stolen, I would definately buy the same one again. When I was considering this amp, I was also considering the Line 6 Spider valve amp. I found this one sounded much better at low volumes, and I prefer an amp that you can just plug into and play, whereas I found myself scrolling through menus with the Spider Valve. The Spider valve may have cool effects, but the tone was just not the same as the Fender. To sum it up, I think the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is the perfect amp for anyone Who wants a powerful amp that can handle light rock, funk, jazz, and blues, and wants to get their first tube amp. I couldn't ask for more! // 9

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 23, 2008

Features: I believe that this is a 2007 model. Since I bought it from a guy on craigs list, he had originally sold it under the impression that it was a Blues Deluxe Reissue. I had heard that they were alittle better than the Hot Rod Deluxe. Doing some research, I figured out that this amp was a Hot Rod Deluxe Limited Edition, Tweed. This has an upgraded Jenson speaker. But it still has all the same features of the Hot Rod, 3 channels, effects loop, 40w, blah. it's almost all tube, it has solid state reverb. // 10

Sound: I use an Ibanez Artcore with Gibson Classic 57 Pickups installed, and a Epiphone G-310, stock. This is my third amp. I went from a Spider 2, to a Epiphone Valve Junior halfstack, and then to this. The main reason is that I needed an amp that could play out at gigs with. The Valve Junior was a good amp, but not loud enough in the clean department. Broke up way to early. Good for bedroom levels though. I always wanted a Fender amp, because some of my favorite bands (I.e. Brand New, The Honorary Title) use Fender amps for their cleans (granted Brand New uses a Deville, and the Honorary Title uses a Twin Reverb). But doing some research it was supposed to have the same crisp cleans. Very true! This amp has one of the cleanest sounds I have heard. True it's alittle bassy, but then again my artcore makes everything sound alittle bassy. Just turn the treble up and bass down, bingo. Crisp clear cleans. Beautiful. The reverb is also good, for a solid state, but Fender reverb is always good. Not too good past 3 though. Just too much. I don't use the Drive channels at all. First, bacause doing some research, I found out that they are not too good, and second after trying them, because they are just not too good. I use a Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer, Boss DS-1, and Maestro Chorus. So I have all the distortion or overdrive I could want. I just wanted something with pristine cleans. Got it! Great cleans, but I gave it a 9 cause the Drive is no good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well, I have not used it out on a gig yet haven't really pushed the clean channel into overdrive either (I Live in an apartment, and I don't think my neighbors would like that too much), but it's plenty loud. Almost too loud. I belive this would have adaquate headroom to play Live, but if not, a quick tube change could prolly fix that. The one problem I had was that there was some random popping that started happening (scared the shit out of me cause I had it cranked). When this happened I saw that the More Drive button on the foot Switch was flashing, so I simply unplugged the footswitch and it never happened again. // 8

Overall Impression: I play indie, rock, and alternative, so this amp suits my style great. It is also wrapped in tweed, so it give it an old school look, going great with it's old school sound. I have been playing for about 3 1/2 years, but just because I haven't had that much experience, don't write me off. I thoroughly research everything for months before I buy it. And this gave me what I want, for a cheap price, since I'm a working musician. // 10

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: GimmeFuel, on august 18, 2008

Sound: I use Fender Stratocaster(mexican) primarily. The clean channel sounds beautiful with reverb and the bright Switch engaged. There's a really nice top end sparkle to this amp's clean channel. Also the amp will start to break up at a fairly low volume. Personally I really like that sound as do many other Fender players. It is a noisy amp. Nothing a noise gate can't fix. The distortion is unbelievably smooth and warm with the neck pick up engaged. I also own a Dean Explorer Z. This guitar on the Drive channels has a really decent metal tone. Even my strat can achieve a fairly decent metal tone. My number 1 recommendation for anyone buying this amp who wants to achieve a metal tone is an overdrive pedal. I use this amp with a TS9 tubescreamer and I can get my chunky riffs and chugging like no problem. Do not put a distortion pedal through the effects loop. Put it right through your input. Do not litsen to the claims that this amp can't play metal. Cut back on the bass, increase the presence, turn up the trebs and mids and you got a nice head start. Volume at 3+, new strings on your strat, neck pickup, cranked mids and some reverb and will you swear Stevie Ray Vaughan was in the room with you. Don't take my word, go and try it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only owned it for a couple months but it has been a really smooth ride. It's been on stage, in a van and my bedroom and has never acted up. It seems very durable and also is very heavy. // 10

Overall Impression: I play punk, alternative, jazz and metal. The first 3 genres are easily a perfect match for this amp. The metal as I said will take some time and effects to achieve as this amp handles pedals very well. I've been playing guitar 4 years and after buying this amp I finally think I have all I need to achieve the sound I want. The amps internal speaker works simultaneously with an external cabinets and is very responsive with it sound which is something I've been longing for. If it was lost or stolen I would absolutely buy it again. You buy this amp for the clean channel. I see this amp appearing more and more in music videos and Live videos. Coldplay, The Strokes, The Fratellis, The Ting Tings usuallly appears in it's big brother form Hot Rod Deville 212 but it's the same basic concept as this amp is cheaper and more practical for someone playing small-medium gigs but still wanting to play at bedroom level. // 10

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: Jefferson_One, on december 01, 2008

Purchased from: AB Stevens

Features: This is a review for the new, limited edition, PYTHON snakeskin edition. Limited to 500 units. This Hot Rod Deluxe Python come with snakeskin covering, 1x12 Celestion Vintage 30 speaker, all tube with 40 watts and preamp sent to 6 matched pair of Groove Tube 6L6s. It has independent gain and master controls on the Drive channel with a 2-button, 3-function footswitch for channel select, Drive select and more Drive select. A bright Switch, excellent effects loop, reverb, and external speaker jack. I use this amp at home, but it is very powerful - not good for 'bedroom' but well enough for giging over drummer. // 10

Sound: I play mostly 80s rock like Cinderella, Iron Maiden, AC/DC... this Fender Python really sounds good - very clean and articulate and extremely loud. The reverb is decent, but the overdrive is kind of lacking - definitely not 'death metal'. I used an MXR distortion pedal up front on the clean channel and crack the MXR all the way... the result is very powerful 80s rock sound. Using pedals such as delay, chorus, and phase on the effects loop is luscious. The clean channel does not seem to break up at high volumes so it is very strong in that department too. As I said, the built-in overdrive is lacking - you will need a distortion pedal for sure. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I believe one could certainly gig with this amp without a backup. 40W all tube is very loud so I suspect the amp would only be running 50% at best - if not mic'd. I've not had this new amp long enough for servicing but I have not had a minute of trouble from it thus far. It seems very well built and you just can't beat the looks of it! // 9

Overall Impression: If it were stolen, I'd certainly try to buy it again, but keep in mind this is a limited production to only 500 units. My favorite feature has to be the tubes and the effects loop. I have a new Crate V18-212 and this Fender is miles ahead of the Crate by comparison. // 10

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: epi les paul69, on april 13, 2009

Price paid: C$ 500

Purchased from: used

Features: This amp was bought used a few months ago. It is a U.S.A. Model, so I guess it was manufactured before they started making them in Mexico. This amp fit's my style perfectly, being large enough to do gigs, but small enough to move around. I play in a post-hardcore/metal band, and I know this seems to be a weird amp to be using for that sort of music, but it works perfectly well, because it takes pedals extremely well. It has 3 channels: clean, Drive, more Drive, and with a "bright" Switch. There is no headphone jack, but that doesn't bother me at all. I do wish it had a tremelo feature, but that's not a big deal. One thing I hate about this amp, is that the Drive channel is horrid, but I bought it for the clean channel, so I'm happy. I've done only 3 three gigs so far with this amp, but it sounds awesome. It has a very sparkly warm sound especially when turned up a bit. This amp is all tube powered with a solid-state rectifier. // 9

Sound: I am using an Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon Model with this amp, and it suit's my music style perfectly, being post-hardcore/emocore/metal etc etc. This amp has a slight hum when my distortion pedal is turned on max, but that's really minor. The sound on the amp can be either creamy and smooth, or hot and crunchy. It really depends on the settings on the amp, effects, and your guitar. Like I said before, this amp takes pedals very well. I used to hate my Boss Ds-1 when I used it with my Crate GT30, but now with the Hot Rod Deluxe, it screams:). The clean channel will slightly break up around 6, but I've never been able to actually try it on that kind of volume, because this amp is soo loud! (At a church gig, the volume was set on HALF). The distortion isn't very good at all. If you're playing bluesy kind of stuff, it will do the job, but that's what I have an Ibanzez TS9 Tubescreamer, and a Boss DS-1 for.:) // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can definitely depend on this amp. I have used it without backup for every gig I have done so far. I had to have my amp checked in, because there was a missing bolt in the panel, and there was a broken input jack (bought like that). As a tube amp, I'm sure that I will have to get the tubes changed eventually. // 9

Overall Impression: Alone, I play any kind of music; rock, metal, blues, jazz, funk, etc, and in my band, I play hardcore/emocore. This amp is definitely a good match, being very versatile. I have been playing for 2 years now. I started playing when I was 13, by picking up a guitar that was kept in storage for a while, and I eventually taught myself how to play. Before I bought the Hot Rod Deluxe, I was looking at buying the Fender Frontman 212R. When I asked one of the workers at The Music store if it was a worthwhile buy, he told me to save my money for a better amp, and to not waste money on cheap *crap*, hence why I looked at adds for a good used tube amp. I also own an Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, and Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer, a Boss ds-1, a Dunlop crybaby, and a Crate GT30. If this amp were stolen, all though I really like it, I'd probably save up for a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier. I love the cleans on this amp, and how well it takes pedals. I hate the Drive channel. It's very thin sounding, and there seems to be no midrange in it. I compared this amp to a Fender frontman 212r, a marshallmg100hdfx, and a Crate V50. I think the Fender hot rod wins. I chose it, because it had the best sound to my ears. The only thing I wish this amp had was a good Drive channel, but that doesn't matter too much, cause I never use it. // 10

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: MegaMusic, on march 10, 2010

Price paid: A$ 1349

Purchased from: Mega Music

Features: The industry standard for a portable, powerful, full-featured tube amp, the 40-watt Hot Rod Deluxe is one of the best gig ready amps under $2000. Featuring historic Fender clean sounds and classic crunch pushed out through a 12" 8-ohm Fender Special Design Eminence speaker, this amp oozes tone.Fender Texas Red Stack Packed with three channels-"normal," "drive: and "more drive"-with gain and master controls for the "drive" channel and a "bright" Switch for the "normal" channel. You can pull off everything from Jazz and Country right through to Blues and Rock! Other features include FX loop, Fender spring reverb, Vintage style chicken head knobs all finished off in black textured vinyl with silver grille cloth. // 9

Sound: The stock standard Deluxe is a very practical single 12 speaker model. The clean sound is where its at for this amp. Very smooth and crystal clear. Played with a 56' Relic Strat through the clean channel with the volume on 5 I could easily pull off great natural breakup. With a single coil guitar your natural break up volume point sits around 4 or 5. Otherwise you can sit anywhere under 4 and get a very sweet glassy tone without any added crunch. Fender Hot Rod DeluxeOn the Drive channel you have access to an independent gain Switch which means if you want a bit more added bite you can run your master volume a bit hotter and back of your gain to get a very raspy crunch without it being over the top. The amp has 2 inputs 1 low and 1 high gain input. If you're a Les Paul (or anything humbucking) person, you can utilize this feature by running your humbucking guitar into the low input taking a slight edge off your volume so you can juice up those valves that extra 10%. Now we Switch on the More Drive setting which effectively crunches your original Drive signal by a couple of notches, in turn adding a boost of output. Great for Solo boosts or staging levels eg to lift to a chorus in a song. As a high gain alternative rock/metal amp it does get gritty however the gain sound is definitely more suited to your blues and classic rock players. Otherwise if you have a hot little distortion pedal you just can't bare to part with, the impressive clean channel makes your pedal soar! (Suggested Pedal choices to go with this amp Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde or Route 66, Ibanez TS9 or TS808 Tube Screamer or a T-Rex Alberta.) One of my loves for this amp is that it naturally reacts to the amount of attack out of your strumming hand (as all good valve amps should) so you can get a massive amount of control over your dynamics. You attack hard you get a bit of bite/crunch, you play lighter and you still have that clean control ala Clapton or Stevie Ray. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Texas Red & Emerald Green With all their style and pizazz these new editions to Fender are proving to be a great seller! With a Vintage 30 at the helm the Texas Red & Emerald green gives you everything that the standard Deluxe offers but with an added amount of grit. Celestion Vintage 30's are traditionally very smooth and sweet yet when driven gives you a nice big growl. These 2 amps are no exception. If your a purist looking for that slightly more Vintage flare, for an extra couple of hundred dollars more you can get a bigger bolder single 12 with funky cosmetic to boot. White Lightning White amps.. Very cool! The White lightning houses a Celestion Century Vintage speaker. Very similar in tone to the Vintage 30. You get a nice low end growl when playing chords at a decent volume but there is still clarity on the top range. The Century Vintage however is 2.27 kg lighter than a Vintage 30 which does alter its tone ever so slightly. But at its core it still has the great characteristics of a traditional Vintage 30 speaker tone. Wine Red A wolf in sheep's clothing! This is my favourite sounding setup. The Wine Red Hot Rod Deluxe sports a Celestion G12 P80 which has all the creamy tone of a Jensen but still a ferocious low end bite. Its clean tone has crystal clear clarity without being tinny and in your ear. Not to mention a cool Vintage crunch you can pull out without it being too dominantly gainy. So if you're chasing a classy smooth sounding single 12' setup with loads of potential this one has definitely set the bar pretty high. // 9

Overall Impression: Although these amps will be more suited to Blues, Rock, Country and Jazz players, you can't overlook its blank canvasappeal. By that I mean, the clean channel is where its at for these amps. If you want to play any style music outside of what the amp traditionally offers eg you're specific gain of choice, then plug in your favourite pedal and you're sound will become more powerful than ever before.. If you're looking for a smaller wattage single 12 speaker combo without sacrificing thinner tone, the Hot Rod Deluxe is one to look at. Whether you're a bedroom player, gigging muso, or just live and breathe anything Fender, come check out the what the range of Hot Rod Deluxe amps can offer you. // 9

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: AlaskanYeti, on august 13, 2010

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: I'm not sure the year of the amp but its in impeccable condition. This amp is really not to versatile but thats okay because it takes pedals very well. The amp has 2 channels one with no master volume or Drive and one with master volume and drive. Its 40 watts and gets pretty loud but past about 4 on the volume it just distorts. It is a tube amp. One of the features I find un-neccesary is the "more drive" circuit. // 7

Sound: I use a les paul style guitar with humbuckers and it sounds GREAT in the clean department. Any where from shimmery cleans to thick cleans. It suits blues and Indie music very well. The amp is noisy on the Drive channel but not too bad. On the more Drive circuit its very noisy. The reverb is okay not bad but nothing spectacular I really feel like there is no inbetween with the reverb its either very little or huge spring reverb saturation. It has a great blues crunch but won't do metal which is fine by me. At about 3 the speaker can start to break up and the power tubes distort after 4 but I think it can get some loud usable cleans. The distortion is just kind of muddy and flabby. Not too useable but good for blues and gets alot better when turned up. When using the Drive channel I tend to keep the Drive under 5 and crank the amp. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The amp seems dependable. I honestly have not had it long enough to have a real opinion on reliability. // 8

Overall Impression: I play alot punk alternative Indie and blues music. This particular amp is great for blues especially or anything using cleans. I've been playing 6 years and I feel like I chose a great amp. If this amp were lost or stolen I would probably take the chance to upgrade to a different Fender amp. I love the cleans. I hate the more Drive circuit! My favorite feature is without a doubt the simplicity of the amp. I wish it had a better Drive channel. // 9

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 22, 2011

Purchased from: Friend

Features: I borrowed this amp from a friend and ended up buying it. He was looking for a more metal tone when he bought it, and this one definitely does not fit that bill. Features are all stock, and the only effect I use is a wah. This amp is plenty loud for a jam, but really lacks low end with the stock set-up. // 7

Sound: I play an Epiphone LP Special SC with P-90's. The controls on the amp give me some really good ranges to work with, especially with the presence. Clear highs, nice crunchy mids, but again, no low end what'soever. Distortion is good. I like it for what I play and keep it set at 6 (1/2 total). // 8

Reliability & Durability: So far, no problems with the construction. It's only needed a standard tube change so far. It seems to be very well made and rugged. I would depend on it for a gig or any practice as a main amp. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a really hard, overdriven style of 'stoner' rock (Fu Manchu/Red Fang/clutch). When I first got it, it didn't sound good at all. The tubes were dead, and the stock Eminence speaker is a complete POS. So I started tweaking. First I changed out the dead stock tubes for some Tung Sol 6L6GC-STR's and 12AX7's. HUGE difference from the stock Groove Tubes. Next, I changed the stock POS Eminence speaker for a Vintage Jensen C12N. Again, much clearer mids and highs with just a little more low end. The final tweak, which made this amp score as high as any Orange/Vox/Marshall for me, was a second 1x12" cab. I made one myself to the same measurements as the amp, and put a Celestion Vintage 30 in it. This amp now tears the paint off the walls with clear highs, crunchy mids and ball soaked lows that make me think I'm playing a 4x12 setup. Fender should just charge another $50 for it and put in a decent speaker to begin with. Overall, with a little tweaking, this amp suits perfectly the style of music I play. It's got plenty of power for any Jam or live show, and is versatile. // 10

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: Mohican, on january 19, 2012

Purchased from: White House of Music

Features: Up for review is the 40 watt tube amp, the Hot Rod Deluxe, purchased new in 2011. It features two "and a half" channels if you count the "More Drive" variant as a channel. The other two channels are clean and overdrive. All are able to be controlled via foot switch, which is included. While it isn't necessarily a channel, there is a "more bright" button which is only able to be switched on and off on the amp. Also, Fender has two input jacks, #2 being the brighter of the two, if I remember correctly. The controls include the standard Treble, Bass, and Mid, as well as Drive, Presence, Reverb, Volume, and Master Volume. Included with the amp was a cloth cover. This amp has all of the features that I need and wanted. As far as versatility, it has all the versatility I need in an amp. I play mainly blues and hard rock; styles that Fender specializes in. // 9

Sound: Connected to the amp is a Fender Strat outfitted with Lace Red Silver Blue pups and I must admit, it sounds amazing, whether it be driven, or clean. The Strat being my main axe, I admit that I haven't really tweaked the settings when I plug my Jaguar HH in, although I have gotten some pretty intense tones from the more Drive setting. Specializing in blues, the obvious answer to it suiting my needs is 'yes'. I was originally set on a Vox AC30, but I wasn't able to convince the owner to trade and I wasn't set to buy one new. As far as noise goes, there is a bit of a hum when I turn OD on, especially with the Strat, but that's expected. There is no noise that is noticeable enough to dismantle the quality of the amp. As expected, the cleans on this amp are amazing. The OD, however, I felt was lacking. While it does a decent job at a mild blues tone, I feel that it loses a bit of character when the onboard effects are used. Fortunately, this amp takes extremely well to pedals and the tone I get from my Fulltone is stunning, and when I pair it with the more Drive setting, I can get a pretty heavy tone for some borderline metal stuff... But it's still a Fender. Being a bedroom musician, I've never really cranked this thing past '2', but even at that volume, this amp bellows. This amp would do great at a medium sized venue and have no trouble being heard. As I said earlier, this amp is specialized in the styles I play. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is solid as far as construction goes. I've yet to find any flaws in the craftsmanship of it and it's yet to even be marked, despite being transported quite often. As far as gigging without a backup, I would trust this thing no problem. I haven't had to change the tubes on it yet, but that's only due to time. // 9

Overall Impression: As for the fit, this amp does extremely well. I'm rather torn when it comes to what style I want to play predominantly, but this amp does my main genre exceptionally well, as well as my subgenres, which consists of harder rock (think post Vheissu Thrice). I've been playing for close to six years now and I've acquired a few toys. Those toys include a Fulltone OCD overdrive pedal, a Fender Blacktop Jaguar, and a Fender MIM Strat. The entirety of my setup is able to sound great from this amp, albeit with a little tweaking. As far as let downs, there isn't a whole lot. I bought this amp without much forethought, but I don't regret it in the least. From overdriven rock, to singing cleans, and everything in between - this amp does it all. If it were lost or stolen, I would have no problem buying it again. I love most everything about this amp. I am able to manipulate the controls to find the tone I want with relative ease. The only real thing I'm not really fond of is the Drive channel, but that's not a big issue. As I've said before, I did want to buy a Vox AC30, but I didn't find one for my price. Despite my initial desires, I found this and decided to "deal with it" until I could get a Vox. Upon having this amp for awhile, I've found that it suits my style perfectly. Not only has it met my expectations, it's exceeded them. This is a great amp and I would have no problem recommending it to anyone looking for sparkling cleans and the ability to get down and dirty without losing character. // 9

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: willguitar97, on january 24, 2012

Purchased from: Hollywood Music

Features: Made in Mexico, 40w, Fender Tube amp. The amp has 2 channels on which the overdrive channel has an extra gain stage. The channels are called 'Normal', 'Drive' and 'More Drive'. It's definitely a versatile amp and it takes pedals exceptionally well. Great for gigging, and its extremely loud! Has a great spring reverb, an effects loop and a sturdy foot switch. Also came with a nice cover that protects it from dust but if your gigging it heavily I recommend getting a flight case for protection. As for valves in the pre-amp it has 3 12AX7's and 2 6L6's in the power amp. It has a twelve inch Celestion speaker. // 9

Sound: This amp has a great array of sounds. I play blues, blues rock, Indie rock, rock and funk usually and it covers all these genres very well. The clean channel of this amp is my favourite bit. It makes classic Fender clean tones. The overdrive on this amp is good but not as nice as the clean channel so I use a pedal (HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive) for my blues tone. Setting the Drive to just under half on the Drive channel can get a good Strokes and Arctic Monkeys tone. On about three-quarters you can get a nice Led Zeppelin and Black Keys tone. Although it's a versatile amp it can not handle metal, but if your looking into this amp for metal you'd be better off looking at an Orange or a Blackstar! On the clean channel you can get a really nice John Mayer tone with the reverb. The amp has a lot of headroom to, it doesn't break up till its very loud so its gonna be great for gigging. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've gigged it a few times now and used it at home daily for about a month and so far, no problems. // 9

Overall Impression: If it were to be stolen I would definitely buy another. Sounds equally great with a Les Paul, Stratocaster or Telecaster. // 9

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 30, 2012

Features: I believe that this amp was made between 2001 and 2002. I'm thinking it's a 2002 model since Fender stopped using the service tag that identified the year, which was on the American made ones. The guy hardly ever used it and didn't even use it more than 30 hours. It still has the original tubes. I love the versatility of the amp, covers everything that I play. I play ska, reggae, punk, post-rock, and occasionally, blues. I haven't got to test how well it takes pedals, mainly since I don't have any. I actually think it has a little bit too much power. I haven't ever cranked it past 6, and even then it shook my house like crazy. I won't really ever be using the Drive channel once I get a decent OD pedal, I think the reverb is too deep as well, but whatever, no big deal. I mainly use the amp in my bedroom but I'm trying to use it to Jam with friends and eventually rehearse with a band. // 8

Sound: I'm using it with a stock MIM Standard Tele, and loving the tone. It has pristine clean tones, with a really deep reverb. The Drive channel is not the greatest, but it's acceptable. A good overdrive pedal will beat it any day. I haven't gotten a chance to crank it that high, but at 6 on input 1, it still kept a decent amount of headroom. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing feels like a tank. It feels like it can be thrown down a 20 foot drop and still be able to gig that night. I haven't gigged with it, but there seems to be no problems with mine. The tubes rattle quite a bit, but that's to be expected with a tube amp. // 8

Overall Impression: I think that it's a really good amp for my style of music. I was impressed at how good it sounded when the guy played through it using a cheap Epiphone, and could only imagine how good it would sound through my Tele. If it was stolen, I would not hesitate at all to pick up another one. I love the clean tones and the reverb. The Drive channel is something that I personally would avoid, it just sounds too rough and muddy for me. // 9

Hot Rod Deluxe Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 23, 2012

Features: As far as features go, this is a relatively basic amp. It's got plenty of knobs and three channels to choose from - clean, drive, and MORE DRIVE! It's real convenient for gigging since it's got a footswitch to flip from channel to channel, and 40 watts of IN-YOUR-FACE tube power. It also has a bright switch for using the clean channel, but you probably won't need it unless you're jamming rockabilly since this is a seriously bright amp. For the clean channel, it's just got the bright switch and a volume; the overdrive channel has a Drive control and is levelled out by the master volume. It has adjustments for low, mid and high range along with a presence knob and a reverb knob too. // 7

Sound: I play mostly blues and classic rock through this amp, and if you throw a strat through it, it's perfect for jamming to some Chili Peppers. I have an old '63 telecaster that gets real bright through the deluxe, but the overdrive doesn't really sound too great with a humbucker pickup. Whenever I run my SG or ES-335 through it, the amp basically just gives it too much of this creamy "punchy" tone that's not too great; I'd prefer something a little crunchier, like The Allman Brothers tone. But all in all, amazing clean sound and not too bad an overdrive. A Fender guitar with this amp in overdrive sounds sweet, and to understand how it sounds with a humbucking guitar listen to "Flirtin' With Disaster" by Molly Hatchet. // 6

Reliability & Durability: So far as I've used it for the last three years this amp has been impressively tough. I've brought it to a few gigs in a rental car with no shocks when mine broke and this amp must have been airborne for half the ride!.. And it still performed perfectly. Before that though the power did tend to cut out often and switch to the clean channel, although it indicated that it was on the overdrive when in fact it wasn't. I could never figure out what it was but when I brought it to my local music store in Eastport, they couldn't figure it out either. However, I got it back a month later when they said they couldn't fix it and it's been working fine since, so props to them for apparently exorcising my amp? // 5

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this amp is that it's a good stepping - stone from a medium grade tube amp and expensive professional grade. It's a high power, loud, dependable gigging amp but it just doesn't have the best overdriven sound, but it's right in the affordable price range for a teenage Rocker looking to boost op the wattage on their rig. I'd recommend this to someone who likes a dirty strat sound through a big Fender tube amp, or if you like a real bright Stray Cats style tone. Hope this review helped. // 6

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Hot Rod DeVille 410 8.6 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014