Hot Rod DeVille 410 Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 03/31/2014 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Fender: Hot Rod DeVille 410
This amp is all tube and has 4x10 inch speakers wich give it great sound quality. But for even better sound you can swap in some new tubes and speakers (you will need to re-bias if you change tubes).
 Reliability & Durability: 7.7
 Features: 8.3
 8.6
 8.5
 8.6
reviews (7) pictures (2) 30 comments vote for this gear:
Hot Rod DeVille 410 Reviewed by: bluesman335, on january 03, 2005

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: This amp is the perfect amp for the blues and classic rock I play. It has a great tone and sound. There are 2 channels and 2 sub channels. The first subchannel is drive which is great for some leads and chords. But when you need the extra kick press the pedal (which is included) for super overdrive. This can really cut trough and is great for leads. The channel switching can be done from the top of the amp or from the foot pedel. I wish the distortion was a little better considering the distortion is not great. But this amp has everything I need considering I am not a big user of effects. The reverb is also the best I have ever played with. It is probably beacuse of the 2 Fender Groove Tubes which are amazing. I use this amp for gigs, recording, and home practice. The tubes are what make this amp great. // 8

Sound: I am using 3 guitars on this amp, 1 a Fender American Deluxe Strat with the vintage noiseless pickups. It sounds great through the amp and creats a great tone. 2 is my early 80's Fender Japanease Telecaster with Vintage Seymore Duncan Tele pickups. This combo is amazing, the tele pickups greally get a great pop in leads and a smooth tone when playing rythem. My 3rd guitar that I play with is my Gibson Les Paul Studio, there is a great pop with the humbucker pick ups and it really shows the greatness of humbucker pickups. It is a perfect amp for blues and most classic rock, as well as soul and R&B. The amp is not noisey with the Strat and LP but it humms a lil with the tele when it is all the way up. But then again all amps usually hum a lil when the reverb is all the way up. There is a medium amount of virety but is all I need. The one thing I have found is the higher the volume the more I love it. With its 65 watts it can really cut through. This also sounds amazing when in low volume it although it does not creat such a pop. The distortion is not all that great but I would invest 30 dollars into a boss distortion pedel. The best part of the amp is the sound the Groove Tubes create with the 4 10 inch speakers. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I never bring anything else to a gig, I put all my trust into this amp. It has never broken down from neglect but after 5 years it needed new tubes and a new light (you know the one that shows you that power is on). // 10

Overall Impression: Once again this is perfect for blues, soul, and classic rock. I own this, a Crate Vintage 30, a Fender Sidekick 25r, the Les Paul Studio, Fender American Deluxe Strat, the Japanease Tele with the Vintage pickups, A '67 Gibson Hummingbird, Baby Taylor, Martin DX1, and a bunch of classical acoustic guitars. I would deff buy this again if it was stolen or lost. I love the tone and sound. I am not that happy about the quality of the distortion but I can live with it. My favorite feature is the groove tubes, and the reverb. When I was buying this it was between this and a Marshall Half Stack, this is can be compared to any of the other amps in the 700 to 1200 dollar range. I may only be 65 watts but I am able to get through a big band (drums, harmonica, keybord, guitar, 4 horns with mics, bass, and singing). I love this amp and would recomend it to anyone it's deff worth the money. It is also a little on the heavy side so I could use wheels, I didn't get the wheels on mine but a friend did, it is only about 100 dollars to get the extra wheels. // 10

Hot Rod DeVille 410 Reviewed by: the_reaper, on january 03, 2005

Features: The amp I bought was brand new but I got them to lower the price by bi--hin' for awhile. The amp has fantastic cleans. But the distortion is really only good for blues and doesn't do that too well either. Luckily I mainly play the blues so that's why I bought this amp. If you want to play metal or anything with heavier distortion you definetly need a pedal. I have a DS-1 but that doesn't throw out quite as much distortion as I would like so I would suggest a tube screamer for blues hard rock, or a metal pedal for metal (your preference). It has 3 channels one labeled clean and the others are drive and more drive. With technical investigation though I found it is really only one channel and the drive and more drive functions just drive preamp tubes loud enough to distort (don't worry the master volume brings down the volume so you don't blow out the house). The downfall of this is that their is only one equalizer for all three channels and you can't switch from a bassy sound to a trebly distort without a changing the equalizer or using a pedal (buy one!) It has an effects loop which you will need for all you pedals. I only wish this amp had better distortion that would make it perfect. The reverb is a little over the top past 7 (all the knobs go to 12). Turning it past this and it becomes undesirable to play with (imo). At 7 though it can simulate the slap back echo on Jimi Hendrix's Red House (this amp nails that tone almost perfect). I use this amp everywhere, in my room and on stage. The clean tone breaks up around three but thats loud enough for most gigs actually(and with some mods you can give it more headroom). It can be too loud for room practice at about 1/2 of a volume incriment. Although it goes up to twelve it isn't all that tremendously loud. 7 and twelve are almost the same. Don't worry it's still plenty loud. This amp is all tube and has 4 ten inch speakers wich give it great sound quality. But for even better sound you can swap in some new tubes and speakers (you will need to re-bias if you change tubes). // 8

Sound: I play a Strat with single coils and it gives off a vintage blues sound. Their are better sounding amps but not for the price I paid. It goes with my favorite styles blues and rock. But I also play high gain metal and punk (Slayer, Leftover Crack) and it doesn't do those at all without a pedal (do I even need to say it?) It can be pretty noisy at high gains but that comes more from my guitar (the piece of s--t). It can make any style of blues by itself and with a few pedals you can get anything. Be warned: this amp is very bass heavy (which can be a good thing). The amp distorts at three but it's a nice bluesy distort. This is enough though considering 2 hurts my ears. Plus with some modes (just changing the tubes is one) you can bring up your headroom drastically (louder clean tone before it distorts). Unfortunately the distortion purrs instead of roars. (buy the f--king pedal already!) I give this a five based on the clean tone not the distortion. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp seems sturdy and I would gig with it without hesitation. The amp has never broken down but I haven't had it that long. I can only give this a 3 because I haven't had it long enough to check it's reliability. // 6

Overall Impression: This is probably one of the best blues amps for it's price (except maybe the Deluxe and Blues Junior, but I wouldn't feel comfortable on stage with those smaller amps). It's a great blues amp but pedals for anything else (if you haven't bought a pedal yet you don't deserve to have variety out of your amp, you twat). I've been playing for a few years and I have all Fender gear. A strat, an acoustic, and a frontman (hey it's cheap). I tried this amp out bfore buying it so I got what I expected. I probably should of got something heavier than a ds1 for distortion but it works. If it were lost or stolen I would buy the same amp for blues. Unless I had a considerable amount of money to spend, then I'd probably buy another Fender for blues, or a Marshall or Mesa Boogie for anything else (imo nothing worth it in my price range). If your not big on blues then check out the peavy classic 50 for some alternatives. I love the clean tone on this amp but the distortion. I think you know buy now. I chose this over other products because it fits my style and I got about $100 knocked off by bargaining. As long as you by a distortion pedal you'll be fine with this amp and you can do about anything. // 8

Hot Rod DeVille 410 Reviewed by: angus69, on april 26, 2006

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: Bought it used in "like new" condition so I'm guessing it's not more than a few years old. Won't bother listing all the features. If your interested in this amp you probably already know what they are. 60 watts at 8 ohms. Accepts an 8 ohm extension speaker cab. I have an 8 ohm 2x12 cab (w/ Vintage 30's) that will be interesting to try at some point. My only reservation is the reliability of the solid-state reverb driver and recovery circuitry. Would have been happier with separate EQ for Drive channel but I hasn't been a real big problem with the kind of music I use it for (blues, jazz, classic rock). // 9

Sound: My primary guitar is an American Strat with stock pickups. With a smidgeon of reverb, chord comping is heavenly. I play mostly classic rock and blues so I stick primarily with the clean channel so solos can be a little thin sounding. I remedy this with a Way Huge Green Rhino (think TubeScreamer with better bass response) and a ED-1 compressor to kick the preamp a bit harder. The amp is dead quiet on the clean channel but can be noisy on the drive and more drive settings. Clean channel will break up at higher volumes with the stock (SOVTEK) preamp tubes. I replaced the Sovteks with NOS and put a lower gain tube in the phase inverter position with fantastic results. Replacing the stock preamp tubes significantly increased the clean channel headroom and even tightened up the Drive channel a bit. Highly recommended. When I started looking for a new amp, I was nearly convinced that I would be going with a Blackface reissue. After a half-dozen trips to Guitar Center and a few other music stores, I could no longer resist the gravitational pull of the Hot Rod Deville. Though it doesn't get you all the way to Backface territory, it can come pretty damn close and leave you the option of opening up the mids for a fatter sound. All I can say is that my Hot Rod Deville and my American Strat is a match made in heaven. The drive and more drive "channels" can get a bit loose in the low end at higher settings, especially with the neck pickup. Flip over to the bridge pickup and yer rockin' out without the flub. Right now I'm fine with the clean channel and my stomp boxes. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've owned several Fender amps and have never been let down. Treat it right and keep spare tubes handy and life is good. // 10

Overall Impression: If this amp came up missing, I would *maybe* play a deluxe reverb cause it's smaller or find a Mesa Boogie Lonestar for the same price (not gonna happen). Either one of those amps would have to floor me, though, to make me Switch from the Hot Rod DeVille. I have found some sites which outline some neat modifications for this amp. I have changed out the pots with audio taper pots, but I have been considering a few other things. All in all, this is a great amp. Yes, I have a few minor complaints but for the money, and even for twice the price, this is a great amp. I will give this a ten, because it is a fantastic value. It's not perfect, but if you want a "perfect" amp, you have to shell out a lot more cash. If you find a better amp for this price, I'd love to know how I can get one. I played small Mesas, an Ampeg Reverborocket reissue, Marshall heads, a Fender Twin, not to mention all of the crappy Crate and Peavey amps that music stores try to push on you. I bought the DeVille. // 10

Hot Rod DeVille 410 Reviewed by: The Young Page, on august 15, 2006

Features: This amp was made in 1997. It has 5 tubes; 2 Fender 6L6 Groove tubes and 3 Fender 12AX7 Groove Tubes. It outputs 60 watts into 4 or 7 ohms. Also, it has 4-10" Special Design Eminence 8 ohm, 30 watt Speakers Very versatile, three channels: clean, Drive, and more Drive. I play a lot of blues and classic rock and it is great for both. However I don't recommend it for heavy metal, shred metal, speed metal, or anything of that nature. It comes with a footswitch pedal for changing the channel while playing, which I use a lot. No headphone jack but it does have an effects loop, however I do not use many effects. It has everything that I need; it had two input jacks, a power amp in jack for effects pedals, and a preamp in for hooking up auxiliary amps. This amp is great for practice and gigs. When I practice both my guitar and amp are at 2 or 3, so it is very loud. All the knobs go up to 12(it's one better than Spinal Tap's amps). It has a clean volume knob, a master volume knob, Drive knob, bass, treble, and middle knobs, reverb and presence knobs. // 9

Sound: I use this amp with my G&L Tribute which is basically a Fender Stratocaster. With the standard 3 Strat pickups. This amp puts out this classic Fender sound, which I love and is perfect for my blues/classic rock style. It can get really loud but it doesn't have to be to retain it's tone. It plays great live in small to medium gigs, nothing like an arena, but great for pretty big bar. I use it at the Hard Rock Cafe in Dallas, which is pretty large. Good for outdoors as well. There is a large difference between clean and Drive, you can tweak the sound a lot by just altering the settings. I don't this much because I like to stick with one sound; it isn't the best variety of sounds but it is very good. The clean channel is pure cleanliness and the Drive channel doesn't have insane distortion but it's really crunchy in a blues sort of way. I rate it a 10 for my style of playing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I know I can depend on this amp and I would definitely use it without a backup; it was built to last and I hope I will have it for many more years to come. It has never broken down on me; I take great care of it as I do with any amp. So with proper care, I'm sure this amp won't easily break. It has a very durable cover as well. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great match for my style, which is blues and classic rock. I have been playing nearly 2 years, and I'm on a budget so I only own a guitar besides this amp, a G&L Tribute (it's very good). If I had to get a new amp for some reason and I had a limited amount of money, I would definitely buy it again. Fender is a brand that I trust and I want to stick with it. // 9

Hot Rod DeVille 410 Reviewed by: mmolteratx, on september 25, 2009

Features: I bought this back in 04 or 05. It's definitely not versatile at all. The amp is not versatile at all. If you want an amp for distortion, look elsewhere. It's got 3 channels, Clean, Drive and More Drive. FX loop is non buffered and sucks tone. I wish it had a real effects loop, a decent OD channel and a less sensitive volume pot. I never use the OD channel or reverb. I gig with it and practice with it. // 6

Sound: The cleans are pretty nice, not quite as good as a Twin/Deluxe/Super/etc. But nice. The OD is crap unless you're going for a real trashy 90s grunge type sound IMO. Very buzzy, muddy, etc. I use a Les Paul, SG and Strat with it. It suits me decently for my styles. I tend to stay around Jazz/Blues and use a Zendrive for my OD tones. It can be quite noisy sometimes; it's very prone to RF interference. The cleans distort around halfway up for me. It sounds much nicer than the OD channel but still not great. The distortion is definitely not for teh br00t4lz. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I absolutely cannot depend on it. It's broken 3 times on me. Once the reverb stopped working, once it got stuck on the OD channel and once it just stopped working completely. I always try to borrow an amp if I have to gig because I can't trust this amp in a gigging situation. // 3

Overall Impression: I play Jazz and Blues. It does the Jazz part pretty good. It doesn't have any other tones I really like. I've been playing ~6 years. I own a bunch of nice pedals, some boutique, some Vintage and some nice guitars. I wish I would have asked how the distortion sounded. I would buy something else if it got stolen. A Deluxe if I stayed Fender or something like a Boogie or Splawn otherwise. // 6

Hot Rod DeVille 410 Reviewed by: ahrob97, on may 25, 2012

Features: The amp is very versatile with great cleans and tons of distortion. It is all tube, has an effects loop, spring reverb, and 4-10 inch speakers. It also has recording features and a cabinet output. The only thing it doesn't have is a headphone jack. // 10

Sound: The amp is loud. With 60 watts and 4-10 inch speakers it's a great deal for the price. The amp has three channels and has a ton of distortion. I play Randy Rhoads with distortion on 5 and it goes up to 12. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The amp is loud enough for most gigs and very reliable and durable within 60 pounds. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this amp. I can play any style of music, but it has a special voice for blue; especially with a Les Paul. If something happened I would buy this amp again. It is a great amp for having 4-10 inch speakers, 60 watts, all tube, spring reverb, and an effects loop and only $900 // 10

Hot Rod DeVille 410 Reviewed by: seppe vde, on march 31, 2014

Price paid: € 600

Purchased from: 2ndhand

Features: The Fender DeVille 410 is an American/Mexican made guitar amplifier, it has 4x10" speakers and weights about 50 lbs (23 kg) it has a clean and overdrive channel, great sounding distortion and comes with a footswitch. Unlike the Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410 III this one still has the mirror like control panel. The footswitch is made in Mexico. It has a preamp input, power out input and footswitch input, it has a master volume control, standard EQ, volume control, more drive option, drive control. All controls go up to twelve (because 10 isn't enough!) // 8

Sound: I mostly play classic rock, funk, alternative, the tone is great and warm, the clean channel is sounds perfect when playing anything from surf rock to pop to funk. It has a standy and on/off switch like most tube amps, the distortion channel is perfect if you want to play Pink Floyd, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Led Zeppelin. You can active the overdrive channel with the footswitch which is included, you can also use it to put on some extra overdrive. It sounds great with stomp boxes and multi effects, I do recommend to turn the amp modeling on your multi fx off (if you're using a Vox Tonelab like me) or else it may get a little noisy. It also has a great reverb sound like most fender amps. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't gigged with it yet, but I'm sure I can count on it while playing live. The only thing that's a bit annoying is the weight. Since it weighs about 23 kilos (50 lbs) you might want to buy some sort of flight case or put wheels under the amp to transport it. I think it'll last a long time, I wouldn't mind if there'd be some scratches on the amp itself since I'm a fan of reliced amps and guitars. I'm thinking of using a mic whenever I'm gigging with it. I'm sure I could use this amp without a back up, just be sure, if you gig or play with it, that you have enough space between the back of the amp and the wall/back of the stage. // 6

Overall Impression: It fits perfectly with my musical style, I'd buy it again if I'd get stolen, I like the chickenhead knobs and the switches, I do recommend buying some sort of flightcase for the amp, or extra handles. Before the fender I used Roland amps and a torque sound system, since the Roland amps are solid state amps, the sound from the fender amp is a big difference, mostly due to the tubes. My favorite feature is the drive channel, the drive/distortion sounds very analog, not too digital, which is always great. The amp itself hasn't got any other modeling channels, because for a good sound you only need 2 channels, a clean channel and a distortion/drive channel. // 6

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Standard Precision Bass 8.3 Bass Guitars 03/26/2014