M-80 Chorus Review

7.9
reviews (4) pictures (2) 3 comments vote for this gear:
M-80 Chorus Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 26, 2005

Purchased from: eBay

Features: The amp was made somewhere between the late '80s to early '90s in the USA. It has 2 channels, distorted and clean and you can add chorus to either one, and it has channel switching through the footswitch. It has effect's loops jacks and a headphone jack. I wish it had bass, mid, and treble on the overdrive, I use all the features on the amp being; reverb, chorus and overdrive. I use this amp in my room currently and plan on using it at gigs in the future. It has plenty of power at 80 watts, and sounds bigger than that. It is a solid state amp. // 8

Sound: I use it mainly on the bridge pickup with my Fender stratocaster, playing alot of classic rock and blues. My style, well I don't honestly have a definitive style yet but I play basically everything except metal, and in that case I would not recommend this amp for a metal player. It's only noisy if the overdrive is too high or if you have certain pickup settings on the guitar. It can make many different sounds with a wide variety. The clean channel is great and only gets distorted if the bass or midrange is too high. The distortion is as brutal as you set it, but the more brutal the more likely you are to get feedback. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I believe I could depend on it most certainly, despite being over 10 years old at least, it works great and I can't see that changing anytime soon. To my knowledge the amp has never broken down. Although I would have no choice otherwise, I would use it on a gig with a backup, with confidence. The fact that it has lasted 10 years or more should show that it was built to last and has proven to be reliable and durable. // 10

Overall Impression: I feel this amp could do just about any style although a few effects pedals never hurt to enhance specifically whatever sound you're going for. I have been playing for about three years. I own a vintage Dean Markley amp, a crappy First Act starter amp, A beautiful American Fender Stratocaster, A JS 100 Ibanez, and another Ibanez of which model I forget. If it were stolen or lost, I would definitely buy it again sepecially considering the price I got it for. I love most of it, I am slightly disappointed at the feedback you get on the overdrive when certain pickups are in use on my guitar. I compared it to other Fender amps, Marshall amps, and Vox amps and decided on this. I chose this one because it was in great condition, 80 watts, made by Fender a reliable company, had chorus, reverb and overdrive, a footswtich, and was less than $200 what a steal! I wish had even more effects, but for this price that would almost be robbing. // 9

M-80 Chorus Reviewed by: NothingButRock, on november 30, 2009

Price paid: A$ 400

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I have the first addition model with the grey carpet and I think it was made in the late 80s to early 90s. I've played rock, blues, country and even some metal through the amp and it's been able to take it all. It has 2 channels, clean and distorted. Although I bought mine second hand without the footswitch, it does have the option for one. It also has headphone and effects loop jacks. Both the chorus and reverb features I have found to be very good and I use them both. I use this amp at home and at band practice and intend to gig it. It's 80 watts, but is by far the loudest 80 watt amp I've ever heard. // 8

Sound: I play my Epiphone g400 and my Status (strat replica) through the amp, both guitars perform well with it, although the Status performs best. It suits the blues and rock I play very well and the clean channel is perfect for Johnny Cash-esque country (particulary with single coil pick ups) I have play some metal through it, but I wouldn't recommend as a metal amp. The only time's it has been noisey for me is when I turn the distortion too high. The amps sound is very versatile, but like I said, it doesn't perform to it's beswt with metal. The clean channel is far better than on any other amp I have played and will become distorted if it is set too bassy. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The amps a fair age as it is and seems to be solid and reliable. I would gig it without a backup, no worries. It seems to handle being carted around on the back of a ute through the bush to go to practice and I have never had any problems with it, nor do I expect to in the near future. // 10

Overall Impression: The amp perfectly suits my style of playing, although I might buy a distortion pedal to help out a bit with playing some metal. I've been playing probably 4 years and have only ever owned solid state amps, but this is by far the best. If it was stolen or lost and I could get another cheap I would have no doubts about getting it. I love the way it perfectly suits my Status with single coil pick ups and the only thing I hate is that at times it's hard to get a particulary bassy tone out of it. I compared this amp to a Vox Valvetronix and several Kustom amps. I choose this because of it's beautiful clean channel. I'm very happy with the amp as it is. // 9

M-80 Chorus Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 13, 2011

Purchased from: Local Music Shop

Features: The M-80 Chorus: - 400 Watt - 2x12 standard Fender speakers - 2 channels clean and distortion - Has chorus - gain channel - gain, contour, presence, and volume - clean channel - treble, mids, bass, and volume - transistor amp I use this amp for gigs and practice and it is great. // 7

Sound: I use an Epiphone Dot studio, an Epiphone sg special, and a japanese ranger. I play mostly Punk/Hardcore, Blues, and Thrash. This amp is a punk amp, it kills, the distortion is awesome, I usually keep the gain at 7, the presence at 8, and the contour at 8. The distortion can be from rough blues to balls to the wall punk. The clean channel leaves a bit to be desired especially with humbuckers, when you take the volume above 2 it starts to distort, its a little better with single coils. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Very durable it I would use it without backup. // 8

Overall Impression: This is great for punk but I want to get a big tube amp. I've been playing for a few years I've got a Fender Champion 600, Gibson Skylark GA-5T, Epi Sg Special, Epi Dot Studio, BOSS DS-1, Zoom multi fx pedal, and a few Acoustic guitars. // 7

M-80 Chorus Reviewed by: Schpash1, on may 07, 2013

Features: This is a solid state amp made by Fender. I own the original grey carpeted combo as well as the original grey carpeted head. They were made around 1989 or 1990 I believe. The M-80 Chorus has four basic features: clean, overdrive, spring reverb, and the magic of this amp is of course the chorus effect which can be added to both channels. The chorus on this baby will just pull you in and make you fall in love with this amp. I play mostly Fender guitars and I love the way this amp sounds through a single coil pickup. I also have five other guitars that are equipped with Seymour Duncan HOT Rails and JB pickups and they all sound great through this amp. I own two Fender Mustangs, a Fender Strat, a Fender Telecaster, and I also have an LTD Kirk Hammet signature with JBs. They all respond well with this amp. This amp seems to take pedals really well. I have not found one as of yet that does not sound good in front of this amp. I also would like to mention that this amp is equipped with its own effects loop. Personally I think that my MXR Phase 90 sounds better when run by itself through the effects loop but it still sounds great directly into the input. It just seems to have a little more clarity through the loop. // 4

Sound: This amp is no one trick pony. It can be used in any kind of guitar playing you desire and it will do justice. First off, the clean channel is what really sets this amp aside in my opinion. It thumps! When I initially played the combo years ago I was at first under the opinion that it was a tube amp. I has that tube like response. I couldn't believe how good the cleans sounded. The next thing that shines is the built in chorus. I don't care what type of chorus pedal yiu go out and buy, it will not match the sound of this chorus. It is sort of 3 dimensional. The only thing I don't like is that on my combo the chorus has a little noise behind it like a hissing but hey, this baby is 22 years old and will still rock the balls off of any solid state you buy at GC. It also has a built in spring reverb which sounds absolutely awesome. Now for the drawback, I will admit I like the overdrive on this amp but Fender could have at least added EQ knobs. The overdrive sounds okay but there are two options here for making it what it should be: either use an EQ pedal with it or do what I like to do with mine, I found that turning the gain down to about 4 and using an Ibanez tube screamer (gain all the way down) as a boost will make this sound much richer. Hell try combining the two. I believe these combos are 65 watts per channel if I'm not mistaken and the head is 80 watts. Either way, this is the best sounding solid state I've ever owned. I won't be parting with mine. I do own tube amps, halfstacks, but the Fender M80 series really showed me that you don't have to spend big money to get a big sound. Get yourself a decent stompbox, maybe a DS-1 or HOT Head and use it with the clean channel. You have got a great tone right there. I also forgot to mention how loud this thing is. It screams... And keeps its tone at higher volume. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This amp is definitely gig worthy. Even at a large venue you could mic it thru the P.A. If you had to but you would still have a compact tone and trust me your amp will stand out from the new Line 6 combo or the mg combo that other guys are using. These things are hard to get your hands on these days especially the grey carpeted series so if I lost mine I would be upset until it was replaced. I think the combo also sounds better if you cover up the back with a piece of plywood or something. It seems to give the sound a little more UMPH! I am pretty sure I could gig either the head or the combo without a backup and J would be safe but its always better to be safe than sorry. The best thing about the tone of this amp is that you don't have to replace tubes. Its got the same tone for life which I love. // 4

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for 20+ years. I play most rock and metal but I also like to kick back on some rockabilly and bluesy stuff when I'm at home and this amp covers the entire spectrum. I've read some reviews stating that this amp can't do metal... I beg to differ. Maybe it was stated that way because of the lack of EQ control in the OD chanel but as far as OD gain... Man this thing has plenty of gain. Or like I said, use a stompbox. Its all you need. I like to think of this as a poor mans JC-120. As previously mentioned, the chorus is phenomenal. I will also say that I like to use this amp for old school grunge. The clean and Od is perfect for AIC or Nirvana. Use the chorus for the intro to "Come As You Are" and see what I mean. Use the clean and turn the reverb up about halfway and you are in "Folsom Prison" territory. // 4

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Frontman 212R 100W 8.2 Guitar Amplifiers 04/22/2014