MH-500 Metalhead Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 10/26/2007 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Fender: MH-500 Metalhead
The Metalhead uses reliable and maintenance-free all solid-state circuitry and a power amp descended from one of our professional bass amp platforms.
 7.8
 6.6
review (1) 56 comments vote for this gear:
MH-500 Metalhead Reviewed by: Valathalion, on october 26, 2007

Features: The features on this amp are awesome. It's a 500 watt solid state, and I'd say you would get the best range of sounds out it without having to deal with pedals. It has 3 channels: clean/dirty, tight drive, and loose drive. It has a few cool effects built into it including phaser, delay, reverb, chorus, flange, vibrato, and a noise gate. Which I thought was a really cool addition. You can select from 16 different combinations and variations (ex. using chorus + reverb + delay). As far as power goes this amp has oodles of it. The settings are basic and easy to understand. Gain, presence, volume, bass, mid, and treble are all there. The only qualm I have with it is that you can't get the exact sound out of it if you are picky like I am. I practice at home, with my band, I play live and in the studio. and this amp has been great for all of the above. It comes with a foot pedal that allows you to Switch channels, turn on your affects, and put boost on for solo's. The only other problem I really seem to have with it. is it's kind of hard to move around, but there's nothing you can do about that // 8

Sound: I bought both the cab and the head and I play through a Jackson DK2M pro with a Di Marzio X2N in the bridge and a D-Activator neck in the neck. I play metal for the most part. The amp can give you a bit of a buzz, especially when using a lot of gain on the loose Drive, but the noise gate takes care of that no problem. I play mostly metal, but this amp can give you any sound you want. The clean setting isn't spectacular, but it works for me. I don't use the tight Drive very much, but it will give you a great classic rock/blues sound. The loose Drive is awesome. This amp really does deliver on giving you a metal sound. The low end for rhythms has a deep full sound that is second to none. and when soloing with the boost on you can cut through anything. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is built like a tank. It's a 500 solid state amp and will never break down. I have only had the amp for about 5 months, but I have played several shows with it and have never had a problem with it, you just plug in and go. I tend not to baby my equipment overly much. But this amp can stand up to pretty much anything. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is great. It gives me the sound I want at a decent price, and it's easy to use. I try to keep my set up, especially for live shows, as simple as possible. And this amp is pretty much an all in one deal. It will give you any sound you want. If it was lost or stolen I would definitely replace it. I love the full metal distortion you get out of it, and I'm happy that Fender finally made a solid metal amp. I'm not too pleased moving it around as much as I do. But that's the price you pay for the sound it gives you. I would easily let this amp stand against a Marshall for distortion, and would never plug a pedal into it unless I got an equalizer to tweak my sound a little more. // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ DG-20S 8.3 Acoustic Guitars 07/29/2014