Mini Tone-Master Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 05/16/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Fender: Mini Tone-Master
This miniaturized version of the Tone-Master boasts glorious tone for its size. Check out the details from the amp corners and grill cloth to the vintage white knobs. Authentic looks with the sound to match. 1-Watt, 2x2" speakers.
 Features: 8.3
 8.4
 8.9
 7.8
reviews (4) pictures (2) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Mini Tone-Master Reviewed by: josephde, on january 10, 2005

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: This amp is very veratile in the sense of a good clean and good distortion. It has the headphone jack (standard 1/8 mono), and the AC adaptor. It has gain, tone, volume, and on/off. This is one of my favorite amps, simply because it gets very loud, and it is fun to bring along to camp and other places like that where I need my electric, but feel like walking around the campus while I play. // 10

Sound: I use a variety of guitars through this, mainly an ESP with EMG's, and this thing sounds beautiful. I play anything from soft accoustic songs to classic rock, and hard metal. Once again, it is very loud for it's size, and very usefull. The clean channel stay clean, and with the distortion, you can get controlled feedback and it can squeal like a pig when you want it to. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As a practice amp, this is very good. But naturally, I wouldn't use it for a gig, so it would be unfair to rate it in that aspect. On the other hand, it is sturdy, and I've always depended on it. I've had one problem due to something I did out of neglect, but I am buying another one because it was so good. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing around 3 years, and this is one of my favorite amps period. I also use it as an attenuator, so boo yah. The only problem I've had with it is that I put it in a case so tight, that in the few hours it was there, I stripped the input. I am getting another one because I love it so much. And I would do it again if I needed too. It still works, just not that great. Overall, this is better than all the amps I have played in the practice amp category, and better than most others if it were louder. // 10

Mini Tone-Master Reviewed by: AngelGC, on february 13, 2006

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Sound: The sound on this thing is great. It is loud for it's size. It only puts out one watt but it is enough to fill up a few rooms in my house. You cant get a really loud clean sound out of it though, but the dirty sounds are really good. The amp alone sounds like my Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal, and the amp with the pedal is amazing. I can get great pinch harmonics out of it, with or without the pedal. You can get anything from a clean sound to a nice bluesy sound to a good rock tone with the amp alone. The tone knob adjusts the tone from high to low, it takes a while to dail it in but when you do its great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp isn't really gig material. It's tiny. It's like the little Stonhenge from Spinal Tap. It hasn't let me down yet. I got it for Christmas, and as long as you replace the battery, and keep it away from large dogs it should be fine. // 9

Overall Impression: It's a great amp. Loud for it's size, it's got the Fender name so you know it's good. I've always loved little amps like this. Good little amp, if your picking between this of the little Marshall ones get this, you won't regret it. // 10

Mini Tone-Master Reviewed by: f-e-z, on august 07, 2006

Purchased from: Johnny Roadhouse Music

Features: MY Fender Mini-Twin amp was made in 2000. The amp is as versatile as a 2-watt mini amp can be, but for me covers a nice range of tones. As it's a lowly mini-amp, it only has an input jack, but the gain gives quite a good distorted sound. I only wish it had EQs, as such, it only has a tone knob. I use this amp at home, in the garden, basically whenever I can't be bothered to lug my bigger amps around, I just carry it wherever, or sometimes clip it onto my belt. It has enough power for just practicing alone, but it's always on full volume. // 9

Sound: I'm using this amp with an Epiphone Les Paul, which is a Twin-humbucking guitar, and I've put a pair of Seymour Duncan '59 models in. It suits my music style very well, that is old school with a bit of mod-rock thrown in, but mostly old school sounds, so I sometimes touch on the gain, but not often, I prefer the clean tone of my LP, and it delivers that tone very well indeed. It can be quite noisy, for a two-watt amp, but that's only if you start turning the gain up, other than that, it's a nice amp for just sitting around at home, but you get the sense if you start to push the gain up, it'll blow quite easily. The amp has quite a limited variety, owing mostly to the fact it's a mini, but work with the tone knob and volume and fiddle with the guitar, and it'll give you something in the region of what you're looking for. The clean channel does distort at high volumes especially when you're in 'rhythm'. Other than that, it's fine for some good, clean solos. The distortion can be quite brutal when you want it to be, but I very rarely touch the gain, so I wouldn't be best at answering this. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't use this at a gig, because it's smaller than my foot, but I would use it for some last minute Backstage practice, I play lead, so it's a really good amp if you want to go over that solo once again. The amp has never broken down, but I suspect it'll blow in the not too distant future, probably because it's always on full volume, and my rhythm guitarist keeps putting the gain up (he's a bit of a metalhead). // 8

Overall Impression: The amp is a good match for whatever style of music you play, and is probably the most portable amp around. I've been playing about a year now, and own a pair of Fender 30-watt amps, and a 250 watt HH speaker cab and head. It looks a leetle bit small in comparison next to these, but it's still good for "quiet time". I only regret not buying the mini Marshall stack to go with it, they both look so comical, and they actually work. I would probably buy the Marshall if it were lost or stolen, purely out of interest, it's not a very expensive unit, so it wouldn't bither me that much. I love the fact everyone laughs when they see it, and then the look on their faces when it makes noise. I only wish it was a bit more powerful, say 5 watts. I would comparte this to the Mini Marshall Stack, I didn't choose this, it was a gift, but personally I would have both, it's just a loyalty to Fender I suppose. // 9

Mini Tone-Master Reviewed by: slimmetalpickin, on may 16, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I have no idea when this little amp was made. This is a one channel amp that has two 2-1/2" speakers in it. I suspect that when these were made they were made as a novelty. I actually use this amp when I am traveling. It is perfect for hotel/motel room use. It can get loud enough to disturb the neighbors but rarely gets turned up that loud. Now obviously this a solid state amp. There only thing this little amp has are a guitar input, Gain, Volume, Tone and power knobs. // 6

Sound: I typically play heavy metal and surprisingly this amp does pretty well. The speakers break up almost immediately from just turning the volume up a bit so adding any gain just breaks them up even more. That being said, you can actually clean it up a bit by turning the gain down and using the volume on your guitar. I take my Les Paul everywhere with me and this amp does just fine. As far as brutal distortion goes, its brutal in the fact that those crappy little speakers were not meant to be used for a guitar amp setting. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have dropped this thing, tossed it in a corner, banged it in my bags and it just keeps working. It is made of plastic so it is just a matter of time before it gives. // 9

Overall Impression: You know, this amp is what it is. Its a cheap novelty amp that usually cost around $25. If your expecting any more than that, move on. I think this little amp is a great deal for the price. If it were stolen, I would probably buy another just to say I have one. They really are handy on the road. // 6

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ American Telecaster Plus Deluxe Version II 8.2 Electric Guitars 10/07/2014