Mustang I Review

reviews (24) pictures (1) 56 comments vote for this gear:
Mustang I Reviewed by: Zeus.jr, on october 28, 2010

Price paid: £ 97.2

Purchased from: Westside Music Centres

Features: Made Fresh this year, in 2010, in China. Being a modelling amplifier, it can cover a range of styles and sounds, which can be customised further if you wish by using the Fender FUSE software. A simple interface, with Gain, Volume, Treble, Bsss, Master Volume; and and then the three modelling dialls, Preset, Modulation and Delay/Reverb. I bought the Mustang I, which is a 20W amp with an 8' speaker, but for people who need more power on their amplifier will probably opt for the Mustang II, which is a 40W amp with a 12' Fender Special Speaker. // 8

Sound: I bought this amplifier for practice, so I never need it that loud, although it can make quite a racket if you want it to. I'm using it through a Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat and it sounds fantastic, although some presets on there sound pretty bad with it, but I haven't fiddled around with the FUSE software yet, which can help me make a better one to replace it. I love my Rock music; Led Zepplin, Hendrix etc, and this amp ticks every box for every one. The presets, modulations and DLY/REV can all be mixed and matched to make countless numbers of sounds, and since both the DLY/REV and Modulation banks can be changed as well, I haven't found a Genre of music that can't be played through this beast. Top Marks. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's quite light for it's size, (well, lighter than other 15W-20W amplifiers I've used that are it's size) and I haven't bashed it around too much, but it looks quite durable; except the interface, which looks quite delicate. It's never broken down on me (yet) and I hope it never will, because it's fantastic. If it were bigger and louder, obviously, then I think this would be durable enough for a gig. // 7

Overall Impression: I've been playing almoust a year now and this is my 3rd amp, my 2nd practice one, and my overall favourate. If it were stolen or lost then I would lock myself in the shed and slowly cry myself sleep untill I forgot I had it. (Which wouldn't take long, I'm a dumbass)My favourate feature is easily the Preset dial, but I don't think someone would buy a modelling amp if it wasn't. Compare it to other amplifiers of it's price, and you WILL buy this, hands down; a modelling amp for this price is unbelievably great. // 9

Mustang I Reviewed by: HelpComputah, on september 17, 2012

Features: The Fender Mustang is a 20 watt, 1x8 combo amplifier with a digital modeling pre-amp and a solid state power section. Mine is a 2012 model purchased in April. Like most modeling amps, the Mustang I is very feature laden. It has 8 amp models available to choose from, mainly covering Vintage Fender models but also a handful of British and modern varieties. There are 24 presets total (3 for each amp model), with 16 of those being user over-writable. These pre-sets are indicated by LED color, with amber representing the factory pre-sets, while green & red represent the user settings. There are also built-in effects which are accessed by two knobs, one for modulations & one for reverbs/delays. These knobs cycle through several presets for each effect type. There is limited adjustment to these effects available via a tap-tempo button above these knobs. The rest of the top panel consists of gain, preset volume, treble, bass, & master volume controls. There is also a built-in tuner available, as well as a 1/8" headphone out and aux input. The amp also has footswitching capability. Plug any standard 1-button footswitch into the footswitch jack (right above the guitar input), and the amp will allow you to cycle between two user presets of your choosing. The features listed above easily put the Mustang I on par with or ahead of any other modeling combo in the price range. However, there is one feature that puts it way over the top, that being the included Fender Fuse software. On the top panel is a USB jack, which allows you to connect the amp to your PC using the included USB cable. The Fender Fuse software allows you to get much deeper into editing the available presets versus the limited options on the amp's control panel. You can even overwrite the 8 factory presets (amber bank) with this software. To most astounding part to me is the fact that all of the features in the Mustang III-IV become available to you when using Fender Fuse with the Mustang I. You have access to several additional amp models & effects that you can't access from the amp's control panel. Each amp and effect becomes editable to the nth degree via an attractive interface reminiscent of other similar software applications such at Line 6's GuitarPort. Effects can be placed before or after the pre-amp, and each amp model can be tweaked with different cabinet sims. You can even tweak the 'bias' and 'tube sag' of these virtual tube amp sims if you want to get that deep into it. You can also adjust the built-in noise gate as well. // 10

Sound: I primarily play hard rock & metal while occasionally dabbling in classic rock and Texas blues. My main guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Custom with Duncan JB/Jazz pickups. I also use an old Mexican Standard Fender Strat modified with dual DragonFire Screamer humbuckers. The beauty of a modeling amp (at least in theory) is that the tone for any style is right at your fingertips. The Mustang I is no slouch, as it has a pretty wide array of choices available from the front panel in its factory configuration. You have your Vintage Fender types represented (naturally), including 50's Deluxe, Bassman, and Blackface Twin models. Following that are two British models representing Vox and 80's Marshall tones. Next up is American 90's, which is presumably a Mesa Boogie Rectifier sim. Rounding out the 8 amp models is a sim of a more recent Fender amp, the Super-Sonic, and Metal 2000, which is non-descript model meant to cover modern metal tones (if I had to pick an real-world amp that this is based on, I would go with the Peavey 5150, though don't quote me on that). As far as modeling accuracy is concerned, the Fender models come the closest to the real things. Not a surprise given that this is a Fender product. The two British amp sims get somewhat in the ball park, while American 90's & Metal 2000 basically come off as two different shades of high gain rather than evoking a particular amp. Don't get me wrong. Every amp model in this thing is very usable. All of the tones are pleasing to the ear. Unlike some of its competitors, the Mustang maintains a reasonable amount of definition without sounding thin. It also avoids the boxiness of some other small combos. The best (and pretty much only) clean sound is found via the 65 Twin model. This is probably the sweetest clean sound you will find in a budget modeling combo. The tone is clear and chimey with lots of glassy treble. The rest of the models are all various shades of dirt. Of the models available from the factory configuration, the Bassman model is the best for classic rock & blues. The 60's & 80's British models are crunchy but generic compared to the Fender models. The British 80's model is lacking a bit in gain and sustain given that "British 80's" would evoke a JCM 800 in my mind. American 90's gives a relatively fat distorted sound good for grunge and some metal (provided that you don't require super-tight palm-mutes). Metal 2000 was the big surprise for me, as I've never heard a Fender amp cut the mustard for metal tones before. This model has loads of tight distortion and is excellent for just about any style of modern metal. I use this amp model far above all of the others when playing heavy rock & metal on this amp (think Metallica, Alice In Chains, Godsmack, Disturbed, Judas Priest). I have one setting with a bit of mids dialed in (the midrange is tweakable via Fuse), which is basically my main sound. The other setting goes for all out 80's thrash, with the mids as scooped as the amp will allow. I usually set the footswitch to allow me to switch between that first setting I mentioned and the 65 Twin Reverb sim for cleans. The effects are generally okay. The reverbs are excellent all around. I mainly use them for clean & lower gain sounds. The delays are very good as well, though I recommend tweaking them in the Fuse software so that you can dial in the right delay times (I hate tap-tempo buttons). The modulations are okay. The Chorus is nice, especially when applied to the Twin Reverb setting. The Phaser and Flanger are pretty medicore, while the Tremolo and Rotary sims are decent enough. Again, using Fuse allows you to truly sculp these effects to your liking, so don't write them off if you don't like them at first. Again, I can't praise the Fuse software enough. With it, I have tweaked the Mustang I's presets to my liking in a number of ways. I overwrote all of the 57 Deluxe presets with the 65 Deluxe Reverb (a hidden amp model only accessible via Fuse), which gives a great Texas blues tone. I did the same with the lackluster 80's British presets, replacing them with the superior British 70's model hidden within (think Marshall Plexi). Keep in mind that this is a $100 digital practice combo. All of the amp's various tones sound processed. There is an artificial sheen to everything which to my ears is reminiscent of a lot of the DSP gear that came out in the 90's. This shouldn't be a deal breaker as long as you have realistic expectations going in. // 8

Reliability & Durability: For a budget combo, this thing is very well made. The cabinet covering is well applied. The knobs all feel solid. The jacks seem slightly chintzy (so don't ham-fist your cables in and out of them), but I've seem worse. Overall, I rate the build quality sightly behind the Roland Cube series but ahead of Line 6, Vox and Peavey. Its appearance seems unconventional at first given that the control panel is in front but faces straight upward. However, I got used to it quickly and now like it just fine. The amp has a classy, vintage-esque look without being too Vintage (there's just something wrong to me about blasting metal through a tweed amp). // 8

Overall Impression: Any electric guitarist who is looking for an affordable practice combo (regardless of playing style) should give the Mustang series consideration. I rank the Mustang I slightly behind the Roland Cube series in build and overall tone (My other amp is a Roland Cube 30X). That said, the Mustang series has a much broader feature set compared to the Cube series at this price point (the more expensive Cube models even the gap somewhat). Tonally, the Peavey Vypyr beats all of the comparable combos when it comes to heavy rock & metal. However, the Vypyr's build quality is poor and the styling is terrible (looks like a toy). Furthermore, the 15 watter suffers from an 8" driver that is way too small for the cabinet and a lack of footwitching capability (a deal killer for me). I may still pick up the 30 watt model at some point (too bag the stupid footswitch is another $120 on top of $200 for the amp). The Voxes are a dark horse in this race; I've not played their most recent series, but I did like their previous generation of digital combos. I've never liked the Vox styling, however. I easily rank the Mustang ahead of Line 6 and Marshall's equivalent offerings. The Spider series is an absolutely horrendous line of amps. (awful, awful tone). The Mustang kills it in every way, even for Metal. The Marshall MG series has gotten progressively crappier in each new generation as well (I actually liked the MG series until they updated it 3-4 years ago). All in all, I can't ask for a whole lot more from the Mustang I. The tone has some room for improvement & could be less digital sounding, but pretty much all budget combos are going to be lacking tonally in some way. The tone is still satisfying to my ear & makes me want to keep playing. That's good enough for me. The feature set more than meets my needs. Some people may find it annoying that many of the amp's best features are only accessible by digging into it via your PC. That's a pretty "glass half-empty" way of looking at things, IMO. I personally am thrilled that the amp is as feature-laden and customizable as it is for only $100. The Mustang I is definitely a great value. // 9

Mustang I Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 15, 2011

Purchased from: Arcade Music

Features: I bought this amp in 2011 but it may have been made in 2010. It has five knobs for master volume, gain, treble, bass and volume. It doesn't have a control for middle which I thought I would miss but actually it is customisable enough so you can still get the sound you want without it. It also doesn't have a seperate button for clean and Drive channels but because it is a modeling amp it doesn't really need one because there are several clean and distorted channels in the presets anyway. The range of effects is quite good. There are 12 modulations and 12 reverb effects which are really easy to use. I have used them all for different purposes and they, like the different amp channels, are easy to customise. This amp's biggest assets in my opinion are the access to Fender Fuse where you can download artist presets to give you a realistic tone of your favourite guitarist with minimal effort and its ease of use; you only have to plug in and cycle quickly through the presets to get a tone suitable for whatever style you want to play so you don; t have to waste precious playing time setting up. // 7

Sound: This is a really varied amplifier. What I usually use it for is finding the basic tone for a particular peice of music. It's perfect for writing on because there are so many completely different sounds and tone just seconds away. I bought the MI which is only 20W because I mainly use it for writing and practicing. It's the most versatile amp I've ever had and it has never failed me when I've been trying to replicate a tone from a record or just a tone which suits a peice I'm playing or writing. My main guitars are a Standard Strat and a Wilkinson Vintage SG 2000, very different but both sound great through the Mustang. I don't really use the extremely heavy distortion myself but I know it can get very distorted tones. I play Led Zep, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Eric Clapton, ZZ Top, John Lee Hooker, Guns N' Roses, Metallica and more and it has got great simulations of tone for all of those very different guitar sounds. Switching from playing Clapton's Vintage blues to Angus Young's dirty rock takes just seconds. I'm really impressed with the variety of tones this can make so this is a good choice if you play a range of different styles. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have never actually gigged with this amp. As I said I use it mainly for deciding on the style of tone I want to use. I would happily gig with it if I didn't already have access to some really great amps though. It is usually my backup amp but only because it is in competition with some much more expensive equipment. Obviously the Mustang's impression of a Vintage amp isn't exactly as good as the real thing but it's close enough so that 98% of people would probably think you had a several hundred pound amp. I would use this amp for a small gig, the volume is loud enough for a pub or small social event, for a bigger venue you might wan tto look at a Mustang II which is more powerful. Mine has not broken or acted out in any way but it has had a pretty easy life, not used for anything more strenuous than practice. It hasn't been dropped or knocked but it feels really solidly built and I'm confident it would survive minor damage like that. // 8

Overall Impression: I would definitely buy this again if it were stolen or lost. Whatever other gear I buy I plan to always have one of these at the reasy for writing and practicing purposes because it's just so amazingly versatile. I would have given this 10/10 if it weren't just for the fact that there's no middle control which you can easily work around but I still can't bring myself to give it a 10 without, so consider this a 9.9/10. Personally I love the British 60s simulation of an early Marshall, I find it's great not only for blues and bluesrock but I've even played some Metallica and Sex Pistols through that one! I'm generally really impressed with such a useful and good quality product for this price. It's an invaulable peice of gear for anyone who plays a lot of styles. If you have one particular thing you play maybe you should look at a more specialised model but for people who just love to play as much as they can I would really recommend this. // 9

Mustang I Reviewed by: Gio Ozkr, on january 05, 2011

Purchased from: musician friend's

Features: The amp was made in late 2010, This amp is perfect for me, I play songs from System of a Down, Serj Tankian, Disturbed, Iron Maiden, Metallica and so on, and its matches me as a musician as well.I love this amp as it is, so I don't wish it had anything else. I use this amp to practice in my room and to rehearse with my buds, its 20 watts but its so loud. it has one input channel, one footswitch channel, it has one headphone output, has an auxiliar input, and one USB port to download free effects. It also has cromatic tuner. and you can modify any presets and then save it. // 10

Sound: Im using this amp with my Ibanez GRX40 it has default pickups wich are the following, in the neck possition it has PSNDS (Powersound Single)/STD-S1/Single Coil, in the mid position has PSNDS (Powersound Single)/STD-S2/Single Coil, and in the brige possition has PSND2 (Powersound 2)/STD-H1/STD-H3/Humbucking, and it sounds perfect, Is not noisy at all, I live in a very humid place and it works just fine, it has 12 modulation effects wich are, chorus, chorus deep, flanger, bias/sine tremolo, optical/vintage tremolo, optical/vintage tremolo fast, vibratone slow, vibratone fast, octaver, phaser slow deep, phaser medium and step filter it also has 12 delay/reverbs effects wich are the following, tape delay 150ms/ one repeat, stereo tape delay 300ms/ 3 repeats, mono delay 700ms/ 4 repeats, small room reverb, plate reverb, large hall reverb, Fender 65' spring reverb, Fender 63 spring reverb, tape delay room, tape delay/large hall, ducking delay/Small hall and Echo filter. It also has 24 presets using the mentioned effects, the clean channel does not distort at high volumes, and the distortion is pretty good, it has 3 presets for modern rock and they are awesome. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can totally depend on it for a gig, it has never broken down, it came flawless from the store, it fell down once and it is still intact. It is made in carbon fiber so, knowing that it will last and that it will protect the amp, the grilclothe is kinda streched so if you accidentaly kick the amp the kick will bounce back intead of damaging the speaker. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Nu metal, heavy metal, trash metal, well all sorts of metal, and some blues, and it matches me perfectly, I have been playing for two years and I have a Boss ML-2 distortion Pedal, My Ibanez GRX40 electric guitar a Vox wah pedal and a Metal muff distortion pedal, There is nothing I wish I had asked before buying it, If were stolen or lost I will buy it again right away, What do I love about it, well Everything, its light, compact, the 24 efects and the 24 presets its heveanly. I did compare it to a Marshall I don't remember the model, but it was 15 watts and it only had distortion as an effect and the price tag was 150.00 and in the other hand My Fender Mustang I Moduling Amp, has 24 effects, 24 presets, it has a cromatic tuner and the price tag was 99.00. // 10

Mustang I Reviewed by: GunShadow, on august 08, 2012

Purchased from: Amazon.com

Features: It was made in 2010 or 2011. It's solid state. It is more than versatile enough for me to be a practice amp (great for any genre), but I'd prefer something a little better (and more wattage) for a Jam session. It has 24 saveable presets and comes with Fender Fuse software. I use only a small amount of the effects because I don't like most of them. When you find the combinations of digital amps and effects you like, then it sounds great... As long as you only use that guitar. // 8

Sound: I usually use a agathis strat with Texas Special pickups. Its solid state so don't expect it to blow your mind. The amp's got a few real good clean settings (65 Twin Reverb = Epic), but the default overdrive settings suck (even more so on a humbucker). You do have freedom to mess with presets using Fender fuse. The distortion is ok once you mess with it but some of the delays are a little lacking. The real thing that disappoints me is the fact that if you bring the master volume higher than 7 it sounds terrible. All this aside, the amp is more than good enough to be a practice amp that you'll never grow out of, but don't expect to go on stage with it. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This amp has never broken down yet *knock on wood*, but I would not depend on it for a gig unless it wasn't a big one and I didn't need to use any distortion or overdrive. Its built pretty sturdy and you don't have to worry about changing tubes. I suggest plugging it into a surge protector if you have one, but its definitely not a bid deal. I would say it is a really reliable practice amp. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a lot of the standard blues driven rock music, along with alternate rock. This is the only amplifier that I personally have owned but played many other's amps. I looked at other amps before I got this one, but the pricetag made this one an obvious choice. Its an amazing amp for the price, but If the amp was lost I would get a different one once I had the money. // 8

Mustang I Reviewed by: TekGecko, on december 06, 2012

Purchased from: The Music Room

Features: Ok, so this is my second practice amp I have brought and it has got to be one of the best purchases I have made in my 2 years of playing. The Mustang I is PACKED full of features and preset sounds that are great. It has a USB out so that you can plug the amp into your PC or Mac and use the Fender Fuse software to create your own effects. You can also download other peoples preset effects and save them to your amp. The possibilities are almost endless! Another cool feature is that it has a jack that can be used as a line out, or you can plug your MP3 player in to play along to your music. // 9

Sound: I am using a ESP LTD-50 with this amp and I have to say it sounds great. It packs quite a punch when turned up to full and along with its many built in presets you can mess around for ages until you get the perfect tone. One thing I will say is that if you plug in an electro-acoustic guitar on a clean setting it can distort a little even at lower volumes although this is probably something that can be resolved by tweaking the settings. For the price paid the amp sounds great and there is plenty of potential to create some truly astounding tones. // 8

Reliability & Durability: So far the amp has been reliable after six months and I have had no problem with it. One thing I will say is that the outside covering is made of some sort of imitation carbon fiber material which is really soft and there is a really small dent in the bottom of mine along the edge which is surprising considering how careful I am with it... So not the sturdiest build. It is also light for a 20 watt amp. Not one I would want to go to a gig with as also the controls although feeling sturdy probably couldn't take too much damage before breaking. // 7

Overall Impression: I have been playing for near enough 2 years now and this is my favorite bit of gear. Its great value for money and is a great practice amp that will last. I play mostly Indie rock and grunge through it with the odd bit of acoustic practice but whatever style this is a great amp. If it was broken or lost I would get this amp again in a second. Although maybe I would go for the Mustang II for a little more power. When combined with the Fender foot switch you can also switch tones instantly which is a must have feature. I HIGHLY recommend this amp if you are looking for a practice amp that's great quality and value for money!

// 9

Mustang I Reviewed by: freedomdemon, on february 28, 2011

Purchased from: sweetwater

Features: Well I'm kinda new to all of this so bare with me, I just recently purchased a Fender Mustang 1and so far so good. It's solid state amp that has 24 preset amp models ranging from the 57' deluxe 59' bassman, '65 Twin reverb, british 60s, american90s, super sonic and metal 2000. There are three differnt settings for each one and you can also change their sound with the modulations effects and thedelay and reverb effects. After you get a setting you like you can save it for future use.some of the modulation effects are chorus, flanger, tremolo, vibratone(slow and fast), to phaser. The delay/reverb effects are tape delay, steroe tape delay, small room reverb, echo filter and others. I use the amp at home to practise and mess around on. I only have the volume turned to about 3 or 4 and it still has alot more power to go. In my opinion it is a good amp for the price. You can also hook it to your computer via the usb port and set setting from there. You can use the Fender FUSE software, Ableton live 8 Fender edition and AMPLITUDE Fender le software which all comes with the amp. // 7

Sound: Since I'm still new to the world of guitar playing I kinda play a little of everything. The amp does have good sound and gives me what I'm looking for. My guitar is a cheap one that I got off of ebay so I can't really tell you to much about it. I do get fret buzz on some settings but it comes from my guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'm pretty sure that this amp could be used for gigs without a backup if you wanted to. The amp I have is only about 2 weeks old and so far no problems. Although I'm still messing around with it to figure out all of its sounds thats it's capable of making. It is really sturdy and durable. It weighs able 18lbs and is made of good quailty. // 9

Overall Impression: Well I've been playing for about a year and a half now and this amp has opened the music world up for me. Now I can try different styles and types of music. If I had the chance I would buy another. I hope you find this review helpful. Like I said I'm still new to all of this but I hope what I said is helpful. Thanks for checking it out. // 9

Mustang I Reviewed by: thanielvsnate, on february 28, 2011

Purchased from: backbeats music

Features: The Fender Mustang series amps are fairly new, and the mustang 1 is a great practice amp for any style of music you could think of playing, from bluegrass to metal, and everything inbetween. It has a standard gain, volume, treble, bass, and master volume control, along with 24 different presests.(8 presets on each level)Those presets are the 57 deluxe, the 59 bassman, the 65 Twin reverb, the british 60s, the british 80s, the american 90s, supersonic, and metal 2000. They have three different levels to put each one on from the amber lighted level, the green lighted level, and the red lighted level. Also the amp has a mod and dly/rev control with 12 different levels on each one. The amp has an aux jack, a footswitch jack, a headphones jack, and a usb jack for the Fender fuse software to download and create your own presets, which is the best feature of the amp. You can customize the green and red lighted levels of your amp with the Fender fuse software to save your own presets, or download someone elses on the Fender fuse site. Another great key feature of this amp is its built in chromatic tuner. It is highly acurate, and easy to read, with distinguishable lighting from red(out of tune) to green(in tune). Overall a great amp. // 10

Sound: I am playing a Jackson JS23 dinky with this amp. I don't think I could lable my style of music because it is so wide span, but everything I play, the amp delivers good quality sound for it. The amp can be very noisy and not all of the presets are garunteed to sound good, but with the Fender fuse software that is included with the amp, you can apply your own presets on the Fender fuse library. It plays well in just about all environments. The amp has a very large variety of sounds and effects it can make. The clean channels sound smooth at high volumes as long as you don't try to overdistort it with the gain. Its easy to figure out how far you can take the gain up on the clean channels before it effects the sound. The distortion is extremely brutal, and in my opinion, badly underrated. I'm not a huge metal fan, but when I do play metal riffs and licks, the distortion is vicious. Great sound quality from the Fender Mustang amp. // 9

Reliability & Durability: You can defenately depend on the Fender Mustang amp for a gig without a backup. It is very small, but don't underestamate its high volume. It can get very loud. The amp has never broken down, and it is very durable. It is a 1x8 combo amp, but it still gets the job done. This amp can take a lot of abuse, and it will still have a great quality. // 9

Overall Impression: I play all styles of music and the amp has been able to meet all of them so far. I've been playing for about 2 years, and besides my guitar and amp, I own no other gear. That is even more reason to believe this amp has great quality, considering that I play all types of music and I get quality satisfaction from the sound without any pedals. If this amp were stolen, I would definately buy another one, because it gets me where I need to be at and for the price, you absolutely cannot beat it. I love everything about it, but my favorite feature is the usb jack with the Fender fuse software. I compared it to a Fender G-DEC Junior carbon, and even though the carbon was more expensive, I feel like the mustang 1 gave me a way better inpression. This amp has just about everything on it that I think I would want it to. // 10

Mustang I Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 22, 2011

Purchased from: Musicroom

Features: This amp has 8 different models ranging from 57' Deluxe to Metal 2000. It has a modulation knob, aswell as a delay/reverb knob. The best bit about this amp is the USB connectivity allowing you to share other user's presets. It also lets you create your own. // 8

Sound: I am using it with a Squier Bullet and a Vintage Metal Axxe Reaper, and the clean sounds from the 57 deluxe and the Twin Reverb are crystal clear. As for the distortion models, you won't get anything that heavy and the metal 2000 setting just gives alot of buzz. For this reason I'm giving it a 7. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It is made from wood and is covered with a plastic. It is really well made. This thing is as solid as a rock. I've dropped it lots of times and it still looks brand new. I reckon this thing could withstand a nuculear blast. I think you could easily gig with it in smaller places, although my parents tell me to turn it down when I have the volume on 3 :). // 9

Overall Impression: I play anything from Guns 'n' Roses to Metallica and it can just about squeeze enough distortion to play them. To solve the problem of the heavy distortion I am getting an Electro-Harmonix metal muff. I also really like the noise gate that is built in the Fender fuse software. // 8

Mustang I Reviewed by: gitaarsjaak, on june 27, 2011

Price paid: € 120

Purchased from: Schreeven Nijmegen

Features: Since most of the features have been named, I've only few additional info. The amp is closed-back, 20w, size is about 20x40x40 cm and weight is about 17 lbs/8 kg. It has a footswitch- auxiliary- headphones- and USB input. The interface (already described) is easy to use, and so is the Fender FUSE software. In my opinion, there's nothing more you can add to an amplifier (except tubes). The software gives you even more hours of fun and a great variety of sounds. // 10

Sound: I own a Fender Standard Telecaster and I mainly play blues, rock, pop and jazz. For all those genres, the amp sounds great. I think it's fine for metal too, although I'm not an expert there. I've tried it with an Ibanez GRG 270B too, sounded fine. It's not a tube amp, but the "preset amps", like the Twin Reverb or the Super-Sonic, approach the sound of the original tube amps very closely. The sound quality stays the same when you turn the volume up or down. It doesn't hum or makes unwanted noise. Considering the price, I'd give its sound a 10, because I don't think you can get a greater amplifier for 120, - (The Mustang II and the Vox VT15 are perhaps slightly better, but also they cost 50-60 more). Compared to other amplifiers without looking at prices I'd give it an 8, so a 9 it is. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only been using this amp for 2 weeks, so I don't know if it's loud enough for gigs. For a pub gig or band rehearsel, I'd say yes. The amp does look durable and solid, partly because its closed back. However, I think the knobs may be a little fragile. // 8

Overall Impression: Great amp. If it broke down I'd get another one the next day. Sound is great for almost every style of music and every guitar. The features can give you whatever sound or effect you're looking for, beginner or advanced player. I'll give it a 9, because nothing is perfect. // 9

Mustang I Reviewed by: VMF10500, on september 06, 2011

Price paid: A$ 230

Purchased from: Ultra Music

Features: The Fender Mustang series were made I'm fairly sure 2010 or early 2011. This amp is extremely versitile and has perfect presets for almost every style of music. The styles of music cover metal, punk, and all clean styles of guitar playing. The Mustang 1 comes with and aux and headphone jack and also a usb connectivity point so that you can make use of recording and using the guitar through the computer.There are 24 different channels. And there is also channel switching witch alows you to change between different channels efficiently. There aren't many features that I wished it had but I do wish that I had it in a massive wattage so I could play live gigs with it. I don't really use many effrects often becuase I'm not really much of an effects user, but I only really use the distortion mainly becuase I'm a bit of a metal head but it does have some truely amazing other clean channels. I use this amp for recording and personal practice, also for a 20 watt amp it packs SSSSSOOOOO much power it really does becuse of its custom speaker though I think. // 10

Sound: I use my Fender Squier Strat custom which I use an Ibanez USA F1 bridge Humbucker which is perfect for metal tones. The amplifier suits my musical style for electric guitar wonderfully, the style is metal if you didn't read the other section lol. Yes the mustang 1 can be extremely noisy if you want it to be. The amp is built in with loads of effects and heaps of totally different presets.and no the clean channels don't get distorted when the volume is loud. Btw The distortion is amazingly brutal for all you metal heads out there. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yes I can depend on this amplifier, If I owned a bigger version of this I would play a live gig without a backup amplifier. No the amp has never broKen down on me, but I do respect the amplifier like its my guitar(which is lots) but doesn't meen I play extremely soft it can stand I shit load more then you'd think haha. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall impression this amplifier is amazing and is perfect for practicing it also comes with Fender fuse and recording software which is extremely good I fully recomend that you use this amplifier. As it makes an extremely gooooooood compnion for your guitar. // 10

Mustang I Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 31, 2011

Purchased from: Whitehouse of Music West Bend WI

Features: Wow... I called and then drove 20 miles to pick up a Peavey Vyper 15 and the clerk screwed up because they didn't have one in stock, that turned out to be a happy mistake. Tons of features, but you need to hook it up to a PC to take advantage of them all and there is a learning curve, at least for a newbie like me. The amp was made in 2010. // 10

Sound: I am playing a Ibanez AS73B, which is a semi-hollow body..it sounded like crap with the factory presets, but once you use the the included Fuse software to goof around with presets my world opened up. I also have a dirt-cheap Lyon strat copy which I bought a few years back to play with the kids to see if we could learn together, this thing actually sounds passable now with the Mustang - Jack White would be proud. I have to downgrade it a bit, because currently, without the software presets. It is really hard to find a onboard setting combination that works... If you are going to try this out in the store, make sure they have a PC interfaced with the FUSE software, otherwise you are not going to witness this things full potential. I am guessing once you've mastered the settings the Mustang is not going to have an equal in this price range, so it is hard to not rate it a 15 out of 10 compared to the rest. Off-the-shelf it might sound like poo - my Ibanez sure did. I have to down-grade just for this reason, although it may not be fair. Bottom-line, this will, and is sounding great, but it is definitely not a painless, plug-n-play experience - if you don't have a PC I would not get this amp. There is no mid-range dial on the amp... There is this and presence and more when using the FUSE software. // 9

Reliability & Durability: LOUD... Built like a bricksh1thouse. Solid all-around, fully enclosed, grill is tight and woven strong. Knobs & connections are not very heavy-duty, but you get what you pay for. I can't see any other concerns in this category for the money, don't let the non-10 dissuade you. // 9

Overall Impression: I attempt to/play many different styles - with all the available sounds... Not an issue, an excellent match. I have not been playing for long, but have been listening forever. Amps have come a long way. Before the Mustang I was planning on getting either Amplitube 3 and the connection or a Line 6 Pod - no longer think I need to do that at this point. This amp will keep your sound & your interest leve peaked for awhile. Honestly, I don not have any clue what more I could ask for in a $99 expense, nice work Fender! // 10

Mustang I Reviewed by: Shotgunmerc, on november 03, 2011

Purchased from: Music & Arts

Features: I am an Employee at Music & Arts (in the Northern Virginia district). I had been a big fan of the Line 6 amps, mostly because of the artist presets that were built in (the "Pull Me Under" and "Stellar" settings being my favorites). When this new amp arrived in my store, I was excited because it was a Fender but didn't really pay too much attention to it; I already have an amp at home that I liked and an amp in the store that I used for demos. However, when I was asked to test it out, I was absolutely blown away by how well this amp played. It is a modeling amp so obviously you won't be able to get a "signature" tone out of it, but for what it has to offer you will be very impressed. I play a mixture of heavy metal (Megadeth, Revocation, and Marc Rizzo of Soulfly being my main influences there) and jazz (Guthrie Govan is God) and was very impressed by this amps diversity. There are 7 different amp models, and three different modes for each (red, green, orange). Here are the models: 57' Deluxe 59' Bassman 65' Twin Reverb British 60's British 80's (think Iron Maiden) American 90's (this setting is AWESOME) Super-Sonic Metal 2000 There are also 24 other effects that can be added (I believe 2 at a time can be used). 12 are various forms of delay and reverb, and the other 12 are sound mods (Chorus, Tremelo, Flanger, Phaser, that kind of stuff). Overall this amp is perfect for a beginner trying to find their style. As a modeling amp it's not made for someone playing shows or someone looking to expand their skill set, but then again if you've progressed to the point of playing shows you really don't need a 15 watt amp for anything other than at-home jamming. One other important note is that this amp comes with a cable to plug into your computer, so it is possible to record into your computer with this, as well as download additional presets and effects (such as auto-wah). // 9

Sound: I have used this amp with a variety of guitars (Schecter Diamond, Epiphone Les Pauls, Squier Jagmaster, Entry Level Ibanez). Amongst those that I just listed, there's a preset that fits all of those guitars very well. As I said earlier, I play alot of metal type stuff but I'll also throw in some jazzy/fusion sounding riffs. The American 90's setting is perfect for me. It gives me a fair amount of reverb/delay and the perfect amount of crunch; I can still outline chords but when I shred it sounds phenomenal. I guarantee that you will find a setting on this amp that fits you. If you weren't a fan of the generic Fender amp that came with your strat pack, fear not. This amp is a great replacement in terms of sound and diversity. Most beginners won't need distortion and the like, so they'll enjoy the clean settings that can be found on this amp, but for those of us who like to turn it up to 11 you won't be disappointed. Like I said earlier though, this is a 15 watt amp, so it's not made for gigs. But for us wannabe Dave Mustaines, this amp will give you the perfect metal setting. Trust me on this. // 9

Reliability & Durability: My experience with this amp has mostly been from a salesman point of view, so it's not like I've been beating up the same amp over and over again. When I sell this amp, a new one comes in within a few days. I will say that Fender's production quality is very consistent; we've never had any problems with new amps coming in, and I have yet to see anyone bring one in with a problem in the amp. This is a well constructed amp and unless you're throwing it around or leaving it in the trunk of your car you shouldn't need to worry about it breaking on you. // 9

Overall Impression: This amp is a great 1st or 2nd amp. It's an upgrade from your typical strat-pack amp but beyond that it's not worth picking up. The Mustang II is a carbon copy of this amp but 30 watts so that might be a better buy for you if you've been playing a while and need something for a band practice environment. For what it is though, this is a very good quality amp, and at $99 you won't get a much better deal. I found almost every model/setting/effect to be useful with one lone exception; a somewhat robotic sounding flanger. I wasn't a big fan of that; neither I nor my coworkers could make it sound very good. Of course, if you have an actively creative mind I'm sure you could put it to good use. This is an ideal beginner amp and I typically recommend this above the Line 6 and Vox amps of the same power. // 9

Mustang I Reviewed by: metalhead613, on november 25, 2011

Features: This amp is extremely versatile. It can play anything from jazz to blues to metal. This is thanks to the modeling capabilities of the amp. It does a decent job of covering everything except metal, which is what I primarily play. More on this in the next section. It also allows the user to record from the amp directly into a computer via USB cord. Overall, features are very extensive and to get all of this in a tube amp would cost a fortune in pedals. // 9

Sound: I am playing this amp with an Epiphone 1958 Goth Explorer with EMG 81/60. I play primarily thrash metal, in the vein of Exodus, Kreator, Sodom, Megadeth, Slayer, etc., but I have been completely unable to get a good tone for this style. First of all, the amp has too much bass on the Metal 2000 setting. If treble is below 10 or bass is above 3, the sound becomes overwhelmed with bass (on bridge pickup, EMG 81, which is known to be a trebly pickup). And I find it impossible to get well-defined palm-muted alternate picking, something which lies at the core of my style of thrash. Furthermore, the direct recording feature (aforementioned USB cable) does not preserve the original tone at all (for metal), making it much looser and harsher. The only positive is that the amp does a decent job for clean and blues tones, as well as some punk rock tones. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very durable, and if I liked its tone, I would use it without a backup, as someone kicked it down a flight of stairs and it emerged completely unharmed. However, the amp has randomly changed the EQ of a tone on me before (no one was near the amp, and nothing touched the amp), and this definitely compromises its overall reliability. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mainly thrash and death metal. If you mainly play these genres, DO NOT get this amp. You will only want to replace it. I have been playing for about 2 years now, and this was my first amp. It's a great first amp, but you will want to replace it with a much better, focused amp, once you have a good idea of what genre you will be playing. I am currently preparing to purchase a second amp. I am looking at the Ampeg VH-140C, the Peavey 6505+, and the Marshall Valvestate 8100. From what I've heard from demos, they can provide me with the exact tone I am looking for. // 7

Mustang I Reviewed by: emoxpestilence, on january 09, 2012

Features: The amp debuted in 2010, however, I do not know the exact year of my amp's manufacture. I can only assume that it was late 2010 to early 2011. The amp is very versatile right out of the box. The Vintage tones, the first 3 or 4 presets in each color bank, sound dead on and give a nice, crisp clean and slight bluesy overdrive. The last 4 presets in each bank give a very distorted, heavy, chunky sound. It suits my playing very well. I play a metalcore kinda thrashy death metal and I can get all kinda of chunk and chug out of the small amp. Right out of the box, the factory settings do have a little too much bass, however, cranking the treble to 10 and the dropping the bass to around 5 or 6 relieves that. It has 5 "programmable" knobs which only affect the tone when turned, the presets on the preset knob come with their own, independent settings and switching between presets is as easy as turning the volume knob up. It does have a headphone jack, and I was surprised to see that it wasn't a 1/4 inch jack, just a standard one. There are 2 separate effects knobs, one for modulation, like flanger, phaser, and chorus, and another for delay and reverb. I love that features, especially the Fender fuse software that comes with it. I only wish it had a built in knob for the mids, I don; t like having to plug it into my computer when ever I want to scoop my sound on another preset, however, I do have it plugged in a lot, so I shouldn't complain. I mainly use this amp at home and for small band practices. It definitely has enough power to be heard over everyone else without breaking a sweat. // 9

Sound: I mainly use my Ibanez GART that I reviewed early in the summer and my Strat from the pack I reviewed last summer (yes, I still use that "piece of sh-t" Strat). The Ibanez is loaded with 2 powersound humbuckers, both ceramic magnets, the bridge is overwound. The Strat is loaded with typical 3 single coil pups in the iconic Strat positions. When using the Strat, I typically play classic rock, stuff like Jimi Hendrix, Deep Purple, and the likes. It definitely was made for this genre(not just because it's a Fender). It gives some of the best tones I've heard on a 20 watt amp. With the Ibanez I play mainly heavy metal, stuff like Lamb Of God, Metallica, Trivium, and lots of drop tuned and extreme low tuned metal. The massive distortion made my house feel like it was going to collapse. It is perfect for any kind of metal, with tweaking, and the Fender fuse software only makes your millions of possibilities of tones infinite. Best amp I've ever heard. It is noisy, to some degree, however, the grounds on my guitars are faulty and I need to fix them, so that's half the problem. With Fender fuse, there is a basic amp and an advanced amp, in the advanced amp you can add a noise gate, thus eliminating all(practically) noise from the system. No matter the settings, if you put the noise gate one in the Fender fuse software you will have no problems with noise. I have not tried the amp very loud, I only put the volume on the presets at around 7 and turn the master up to around 2 and it's almost too loud for me to think. I do not think it will get distorted at high volumes as it is a full DSP amp and therefore not a normal solid state or tube amp. As for raw distortion, don't count out Fender, the fuse software really delivers. The American 90s and Metal 2000 amps, paired with an overdrive pedal and either a 2X12C cab or no cab give the heaviest sounds ever, definitely up there with Mesa Boogie and Diesel. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have only had the amp for a week or so now and I have been very careful with it, as I am with everything. It has a very sturdy look to it, nothing like a Roland Cube, but it is designed to be very rigid. If I was to gig, I would probably buy a Mustang II to use instead, only for its more adequate power output and larger speaker. If I was in a bind and could not buy a Mustang II I would use the Mustang I with no backup(not because I don't have another good amp, which I don't, but because it doesn't seem to require a backup, it's built very well). As I have said, I have only had it for a week or so. I cannot comment on it breaking down or not or why it would breakdown. I can only say that I highly doubt it would ever breakdown unless the user neglected it and smashed it up. // 7

Overall Impression: Again, I play a variety of music. Mostly different genres of metal. The amp, paired with the fuse software, makes the perfect metal amp. It is the perfect match for me. I have only been playing for about 2 years. I only own a Fender Starcaster Straocaster Beginner's Pack and an Ibanez GART. The only thing I wish I had asked was, why didn't I know about this years ago. If it was stolen I would probably either kill myself, lock myself in my bedroom and cry, or move on and upgrade to the Mustang II or III. I love the fuse software, it gives me any sound I wish. I also love that amazing chunk and chug the speaker can make. I hate... Well... I don't hate anything, I love it all. My favorite feature is the fuse software which can make all the sounds I want, from Hendrix fuzz to Machine Head crush and everything in between. Before I bought this I did some playing on other modeling amps (Line 6), some Marshalls, and other Fender amps. The Line 6 amps I played either had too much noise, too little distortion and crunch, or too much chunky fuzz and no definition. The Fender amps just didn't do metal, except for this one. The Marshalls just didn't scream metal or even rock, they just kinda went... Blah on distortion and sounded either country or blues. This one was the most metal to me and was the most versatile I could find, and the price wasn't that bad either. I only wish it had a footswitch and a wah wah pedal, I do like me some wah wah. // 9

Mustang I Reviewed by: njpg, on january 09, 2012

Features: I had just gotten back into electric guitar after playing acoustic for about 15 years, and I didn't have an amp. My problem was twofold: the Fender Twin Reverb I want costs more than I have saved up, and an 80 or 85 watt amp is unnecessary for home practice in proximity to a spouse with sensitive ears. Enter the Mustang I. I chose this little 20-watt number over the Frontman specifically for its ability to imitate the sound of a '65 Twin Reverb, not for its versatility in imitating other amps, but it also imitates several other amp models at any settings and effects combinations you want. You will really need to hook it up to a computer (yes, it has a USB port) to make use of the full range of features: some are just not accessible by the knobs on the amp, including the mid range tone knob. Some of the effects and so forth you can program in are very good, others not so much compared with, say, GarageBand; for example, the envelope filter sucks. The whole thing is very tweakable from your computer (it even has a noise gate). There is a small AUX in port and a small PHONES out port. It comes with 24 stock presets and an array of effetcs, however sweeping the effects parameters is not easy without a computer and you really can't do it on the fly. The result is that I never use the delay settings at all, for example, as I like to sweep delay parameters frequently when I use it at all. In short, I think that this many features are not much use without making them easier to access than this. Still, they're very cool features. There's also a tuner built in. You are supposed to be able to download other users' presets too, but I have not been able to figure out how to do that; not that it matters, because I already knew the sound I wanted when I bought it, and all these thousands of possible presets are of little use to me. // 7

Sound: My guitar has P90 pickups that can be pretty noisy. Although my computer allowed me to access the amp's powerful noise gate, I still had to insert a noise reduction pedal at the front of my chain to enable the use of a compressor, so the built-in gate is of little use to me. I knew a bit about different Fender amp sounds already, but one great thing about the Mustang is that it taught me more. Although it only made me more sure of something I already knew (that the '65 Twin Reverb sound is the one I want), I think this amp would be very useful for a beginner who hadn't quite figured out what they want yet. This amp can probably make thousands of different sounds in combination with a computer and the internet, and the ones it comes stock-programmed with are already many more than I need. If distortion is your thing, you can take your pick, as well as whatever delay/reverb, modulation or other effects you want to program in. This versatility is impressive, but I quickly narrowed it down to 5 presets that I actually use (all the same amp & settings with different effects), and these will become less as I add more pedals to my chain. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I was expecting to have to ask other musicians to play quieter or to have to mike the speaker to a PA in order to be heard at jamming volumes, but I was wrong. Despite its mere 20 watts, drummers have been unable to drown it out at Jam sessions. Still, I don't think this is anywhere near a gigging amp. It might SERVE as a backup itself, if miked. But it is light to carry around and seems like it might be a bit fragile. // 8

Overall Impression: Whatever style you play, this amp will work for your practice and jamming sessions. I have played about 20 years, and use a great guitar, a long pedal chain with a unity gain buffer at the front for clarity of signal. The Mustang I would be an easy amp to steal or lose due to its small size and light weight. It would also be easy to replace: I could do it in less than a month. I love that it lets me pick the sound I want, but as I said above, a thousand features are silly when you need a computer to access more than 30. Greater ability to adjust effects parameters would be better, and a more informative set of instructions would also. // 7

Mustang I Reviewed by: sydrock, on march 01, 2012

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: This amp has virtually everything. It comes with presets from different music eras such as British 60's, American 90's, metal 2000, etc. Has bass/treble settings and a master volume. Gain setting as well. Has effects loops and modulations. For its size it can get VERY loud. Besides the presets you can make your own presets. It comes with online features where you can download sounds and make your own sounds for the amp by hooking up the amp to the computer. // 10

Sound: With the amp I can play metal, punk, classic rock, blues, jazz, space rock, ANYTHING. It suits every music style. With the online program you can get any sound ever. You can make this amp sound very clean if you with, or very distorted. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have only had it for a week, but it is very dependable. // 10

Overall Impression: Great amp for its price and size. // 10

Mustang I Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 29, 2012

Purchased from: Best Buy

Features: The amp is quite versatile for what I play in our church Praise & Worship team. It has more features than I am likely to use, but for the price it was quite a deal. I run the headphone out to a DI box for the house sound and it does a fine job. My only issue is the quality of the 1/8" jack. The jack is loose now although it still works. A few light tugs was all it took. I originally bought it for practice at home which is where it will stay when I upgrade. // 8

Sound: I play contemporary Christian music through a Squier Tele. I typically use the 65 TR, Brit 60's, and 59 Bassman settings with a few effects. I really like the clean 65 TR sound for the older songs. It is noisy on the metal settings but I don't use them anyway, quiet on all the others. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I won't be using the Mustang 1 for church much longer due to the issue I mentioned above. I am thinking about the Floor or the Mustang IV. I want a 1/4" jack to output for sure. I am not sure if those two models use the same out jacks, if so I will have to look at something else. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall it is a great little amp for what you get and I would recommend it for a practice amp to anyone. I compared it to the Roland cube and almost went with it but decided to try the Fender instead. As I said I wish it had 1/4" jacks, other than that, no complaints. // 8

Mustang I Reviewed by: MattMusic123, on april 04, 2012

Features: The Mustang series were made in 2010. It suits any style of music that you play. It has 1 channel, 1 headphone jack and 1 CD input jack. I use it in my room for practice but I could use it on a gig because it's capable of that. It has more than enough power for me. I wish it had more presets to save. It has many effects such as... Delay, reverb, wah, chorus, octaver, tremolo, flanger etc. And you can download more on the Fender Fuse software, which I think is amazing. It also contains a chromatic tuner which I find very helpful. // 9

Sound: I use it with an Ibanez GIO GAX30 with single coil pickups, it helps make my guitar sound better because the pickup quality on my guitar isn't very good. It suits my style (Hard rock and metal) because of the presets function and the Fender Fuse software where you can download effects and presets and you can get the sound of many different amps in one. It can make a variety of sounds. The distortion is okay and all of the other effects work fine. I can get very close to the tones of my favourite artists with it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely use it on a gig without backup, I can rely on it to create any sounds I would like. It has never broken down or had any problems, it always works perfectly. I enjoy using it a lot and love it's sound. I will be getting a new guitar soon and I can't wait to see what it sounds like through my Fender Mustang 1. // 9

Overall Impression: I mostly play hard rock and metal, it matches my style perfectly but can also match any style of music. I have been playing for 5 years and I own an Ibanez GIO GAX30 electric guitar, a Cort AC12 Nat acoustic guitar, a Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion pedal, a Crate Flexwave 15R guitar amplifier and a Fender Mustang floor pedal which was cheap and you can save presets on it for a quick change. My favourite feature is probably the presets function, I like it because I can change tones in a second or two, instead of sitting and turning all the knobs to find a good tone. If it were stolen/lost I would buy the same amp again because I love it. Before I bought it I compared it some Vox amp in the same price range and liked the Mustang more. If you're looking for a very good amp go for the Mustang. // 10

Mustang I Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 03, 2012

Purchased from: Local music store.

Features: This is the most awesome AMP that you can buy for this price. I'm not kidding, I tried this little monster in the music store, and I played about 1, 5 hour. It's simply amazing, you just can't buy a better amp for this price. I think it's made in early 2011, in China. I found one little problem, it's a bit difficult to use for the first time. You know, lot's of features, so you should read the manual, and research a bit. I mostly play alt. Rock, grunge, and this is great for them. It's not too heavy, by the way. It is a great practice amp. // 10

Sound: I got an Epiphone Les Paul Special II, with default pickups, and stuffs. It sounds great with it, but I tried the AMP in the store with a Squire Tele, and it was a bit better. Anyway, the sound is really clean, but you can get a really big, grunge sound. The distortion is amazing, but it can be better. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I just bought it some days ago, so I don't really know, but it seems like a well build thing. If it would broke, I would definitely buy a new one. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing since 2009, and this is my 2nd amp. My first was a little Marshall, and this is way better. You can't ask for more, because you can get any sound with the Fuse. And remember, the AMP is only $100. My fav. feature is the reverb. It is just amazing. // 10

Mustang I Reviewed by: epiclolXD, on august 07, 2012

Features: The Mustang 1 is a great beginner modelling amp (solid state). It come with volume control, gain control, bass control, treble control, master control, pre-set control, modulation control and delay/re-verb control. The Mustang has a headphone jack for jamming through headphones and a auxiliary cable for plugging your mp3 into. The amp only has one input channel but comes with 12 built in effects and 12 built in delay/re-verb options. The amp itself can store 24 presets but when connected to the computer (through USB input) you can create virtually unlimited presets. // 9

Sound: I'm currently using an Ibanez GRX70QA with stock everything. The Mustang fits my music style pretty well which rock (Guns n' Roses, AC/DC etc) but then again I'm not that picky. The sound is a nice consistent sound and the volume is good for a practice amp. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have only had this amp for a few months so I cannot judge it on reliability. But then a again this is a solid state amp which means it does not require the changing of tubes. I would probably not use this amp in a gig for it might not be loud enough with a heavy handed drummer. // 9

Overall Impression: This amp has blown me away especially with the ability to connect to the computer and open up more advanced options. That would definitely be my favourite feature. My least favourite feature is the fact that you cannot have more than one modulation effect at one time. Before buying this amp I compared it to the Vox VT20+ but the ability to connect to the Mustang to the computer won me over the Vox. If my amp was stolen I would be too poor to get one but I might consider getting a different amp provided I have the money. // 10

Mustang I Reviewed by: 90sMetal-Head, on october 04, 2012

Price paid: C$ 159.99

Purchased from: gift

Features: - 8" Fender design speaker - 24 onboard presets - 12 modulation effects - 12 delay and reverb effects - chromatic tuner - comes with software for Fender fuse - unlimited spacefor presets with computer software - optional 1 button foot switch. // 8

Sound: A great practice amp for all music types. It sounds great using a clean overdrive or a heavy crunch for metal. If you use the Fender Fuse software you can create your own unique sound for what you want. My favourite is the 80s and 90s metal sound and this amp deffinately pulls it off. For only a 20watt speaker, it gets surprisingly loud and still keeps it clean. // 8

Reliability & Durability: One of the downsides is the built in tuner. I've used different guitars on it and it doesn't pick up the sound very easily when tuning. Its also only good for home practice, although its got good sound its still not loud enough to pull off a show at a bar. // 7

Overall Impression: For an affordable reliable amp this one is a good choice. However Fender has a better selection of mustang amps. This is just one that I've used. A better choice is the Mustang V412 head with the matching cabinet. But if your looking for great sound at home at a fair price this amp is definitely an option. // 8

Mustang I Reviewed by: gerrygtr62, on october 12, 2012

Purchased from: Best Buy

Features: - Looks like it was made this year, 2012 MIC - @0-watts into an 8" speaker - Fully loaded with modulation+delay+reverb effects, amp modeling modes [3 sets] and comes with the Fender Fuse software to edit and tailor your settings - Jacks for MP3/IPOD plus headphone jack. // 9

Sound: I use a Kramer SM-1 loaded with Seymour Duncans [cool rails/neck and middle + Alt 8/bridge] and a Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom loaded with Gibson 57 Classics [soon to be changed into DiMarzio Crucnh Lab/bridge] - this thing just oozes tone ,it's not sterile sounding like a Line 6 Spider, love all the tones, from pristine cleans to mildly overdriven to all out metal insanity, this amp simply is killer! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Since I only use it for practice, I'm pretty sure it can withstand any abuse I can toss at it [but not gonna try, LOL!!] - seems sturdy-enough so far, I can't complain - plus the knobs don't feel cheap, same with the input jacks - plus it's very light, too!! // 8

Overall Impression: I play everything from alternative power pop to metal and all points in-between - I play this thing more than the Blackstar HT-40 sitting in my garage [use it only for band practice, LOL!] - before this amp, I had a Blackstar HT-20 and a Peavey Vypyr 15 as my practice amps - I got rid of them both and began my search into a better alternative - I keep hearing on the My Les Paul Forums plus saw you tube vids on this amp, so I decided to take the plunge and bought this as a birthday present for myself, and boy, am I glad I did it! Fender hit it outta the Park with this one, it's the best modeling amp ever! // 10

Mustang I Reviewed by: Woollyfuller, on june 16, 2014

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This a very compact amplifier, in a light weight box frame, I think the wood is MDF which is put together well. It has an 8" speaker and is a solid 20w, which is pretty loud if you need it to be. Comes with lots of different amp modelling sounds and effects, which I are too many to list here, but can be best described as a multi effects unit within an amp, also includes tuner and ability to store settings.

I wouldn't put stompboxes through it because I don't think it would be a great sound, but also because the effects and distortions are pretty good on the amp already. The controls are well laid out and easy to use - the effects section lacks any indication of the effects settings, so unless you have a good memory or the manual to hand its impossible to know where all the different settings are, which is a shame..

It has a USB port to link it with your PC using the Fender Fuse software where you can change all settings on your amp. The Fuse software is a doddle to use and allows you to play with lots of cool effects and set ups. You an also plug in a mp3 play via a headphone socket, but it sounds pretty bad, but some may find this useful. // 7

Sound: For a cheap 20w solid state amp it isn't bad at all. I use Ibanez and Fender guitars and both play very solidly through the little speaker. When pushed the amp holds wells. I played it up against a mates Vox AC30 and it didn't fair well against a tube amp for presence, but in your house it sounds great, perfect for home practicing or small jams. The effects and modelling is all done very well and sounds authentic. The amp modelling are quite good, my favourites are the Fender Reverb and '90s amp. Delays are good and you can control the tempo on this and things like the tremolo which is handy. // 8

Reliability & Durability: For a practice amp, I am sure it will be as reliable as anything on the market of a similar type. Its a tough box and I've had it in the back of my car many times and it looks no worse for being transported about. Its small but has a nice finish as you would expect from Fender. I can't see myself taking this to a gig or even a band jam as it would get swallowed up quite easily, its loud for a practice amp and will no doubt drive your neighbours potty, but its no monster and couldn't hold its own against a drum kit or tube amps. I see this as a home rocker for Sunday afternoon jams with your iPhone! So it will last you as long as you need I am sure. // 9

Overall Impression: In my opinion its a pretty good, versatile amp. Well made, nice brand and just does what you want an amp of this nature to do - it does this and a bit more. My only gripes are the effects listings aren't on the amp so this is frustrating. Also, the Fuse software isn't all that inspiring, its fun to have a play with, but you get bored of it pretty quickly, I think younger guitarists will like it more than I did, as an older chap I didn't have much patience for it after a while. It positives outweigh it negatives, so it is really good buy and brilliant as a home practice or beginners amp- other similar amps may be a bit easier to use, but for this money you can't really go wrong. // 8

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ DG-20S 8.3 Acoustic Guitars 08/01/2014