Mustang II Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 04/23/2013 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Fender: Mustang II
The new Fender Mustang amplifier series raises the standard for modern guitar versatility and muscle.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.9
 Features: 8.7
reviews (13) pictures (2) 45 comments vote for this gear:
Mustang II Reviewed by: georgeg0534, on january 06, 2011

Price paid: € 180

Purchased from: thomann

Features: The amp was made in 2010. Its very good for all styles from blues to metal. It has 24 amp presets= 57 delux, bassman, 65 reverb, british 60s, british 80s, american 90s, supersonic and metal 2000s. I use this amp for jamming with my friends. It loud enough and would work well for bars or clubs. Its 40w and you can put a cab on for more power if needed. Its soliid state and its very good. // 9

Sound: I'm using a cheap rubbish guitar with it but I get really good sounds out of it from hendrix to metalica. I mostly play kings of leon, the strokes, nirvana, foo fighters, black keys, hendrix, arctic monkeys and some smashing pumpkkins. I sometimes play some BFMV. There are loads of presets from 57 delux to metal 000s. There are sum really good sounding distortions and clean channels to. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The amp is really good I use it jamming and if you wanted to gig with it, it would be good for clubs and bars but you should buy a cab for more power. I've only had the amp about a month and its really strong and well built and I don't think it will break anytime soon. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly nivana, foo fighters, strokes, arctic monkeys, the black keys....and more. And its great. You can get a foot Switch for it and it has a built in tuner. If it was stolen I would buy it againe. But if you are looking for a more powerful amp I would probly buy a Marshall 100w or just buy a cab for more power. Overall its great and I would reccomend it to all people. // 10

Mustang II Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 25, 2012

Features: 40 watt solid state amp with a 12" speaker. Very portable based on dimension and weight which is key if you gig. It's a two channel amp that works perfectly with any cheap one button foot switch. The Fender site lists it as one channel which is a major oversight. The features can be found at fender.com so I won't waste space here. // 10

Sound: The sound is excellent for a solid state. Fender cleans to Marshall crunch. Most of the presets are overdone so be prepared to listen to downloadable patches and experiment to find the real potential of the Mustang. The real trick is to fine three amps you like and then set variations of each from clean to dirty on the Mustangs three banks of presets. There is no way I can justify using a tube amp (I've owned many) with a solid state that sounds this good and the options it makes available. I jam every week with a loud drummer, bass player, another guitarist and one or two on vocals and it handles the stage with no problem. Can it sound exactly like a Mesa. No. A Mesa can't sound exactly like a Twin. Bottom like is the Mustang covers a lot of sonic territory and does it very well compared to past modeling amps. Fuse software lets the user mess with parameters like bias and sag. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Fender offers a 5 year warranty. Treat it with respect and you won't have problems. Keep beer bottles off it, don't toss it in the trunk and leave it there for a week, it's common sense to avoid problems. Fender seems to be short on amp covers for the II. I use one from another amp maker that has the same dimensions. // 10

Overall Impression: Technology has improved with modeling amps and we're no longer stuck with a one trick pony tube amp or a solid state amp that produce a poor reproduction of the classics. I've played for decades and if I could pick any amp out of Guitar Center for free with the condition I had to use it and not sell it would be another Mustang II. The price is a steal for a 12" 40 watt amp with a boat load of features and very convincing copies of some of the most famous amps made. The perfect gig amp! // 10

Mustang II Reviewed by: ananikangel, on august 16, 2011

Purchased from: GC

Features: Made in 2010. Solid state Fender with a single 12" speaker. No effects loop, no cabinet output, footswitch not included. Has a headphone jack, volume, gain, master volume, bass & treble eq, and a hell of a lot of built in effects. Very versatile amp, can play anything. Mostly because it's digital. You can use the Fender fuse software through usb. Pretty freakin cool. Not really that powerful, has to be turned to 10 to be heard over a drummer. This sux because the amp clips when turned over 7 (at least with my boost pedal, which is the one of the few ways to get a good tone out of the amp). How can I forget the digital modeling, which gives 7 amp models, of which 5 are almost unusable, and a slough of built in effects that are extremely over the top and way too much to ever use in a musical setting. I give it 8 because although the quality of the features are questionable, they can be edited through fuse, and the amp has a headphone jack and AUX in that can be used for pretty decent home practice. A mid eq would've been nice too, although definitely not necessary. // 8

Sound: RIG: LP Standard --> DT Whammy --> Crybaby --> OCD --> Amp Awesome cleans from the Fender deluxe amp model. Roll back the guitar volume, and it sounds pretty spanky. Dime the volume, you get a relatively full clean sound. Kick on a nice overdrive, you sound good. All other clean amp models suck balls. 8.5/10 for cleans, since you can eq the one working amp model into something great, and if you have a good od pedal (like the ocd) you can sound pretty marshally. But that isn't really the amp, that's the pedal. So the OCD doesn't affect this review. OD/Dist You can use this amp's distortion ADEQUATELY in the following settings: AC/DC esque rock. That's it. This amps distortion sounds good on only a single preset, and that is the "80's rock" preset. Sounds like a digital version of a moderate volume marshall. This is good. Not great, or bad. Average. All other presets sound absolutely terrible. Especially the buzzy, stupid sounding metal preset. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Solid state 1/12 combo? Pretty reliable. I don't see this amp breaking down. Although I did have a problem with a faulty aux jack. Never really had a problem with the amp itself, and since it's mostly digital, it doesn't have many breakable parts. The chassis looks durable enough, but if I dropped it from a height it would break. // 8

Overall Impression: I play anything from blues to hard rock/early metal. This is an average amp for the price. I wouldn't buy this amp again. $200 could've gone to a Jet City amp or something. I don't really love much about it, other than it is responsive to pick dynamics (like a tube amp) and this makes it good with pedals. I wish it had tone. // 7

Mustang II Reviewed by: Thermon, on february 23, 2012

Purchased from: Local music store

Features: About a year ago I went searching for a practice amp loud enough for a band practice, but also quiet enough for the bedroom, and I found it, and more. This 40 watt amp contains 24 presets, adjustable modulation and reverb/delay, a tuner, a footswitch, input jack, headphone jack, and auxiliary input. Also included is a USB cable to hook up your Mustang II to a computer and fine-tune your settings via the Fender Fuse software. Getting more in depth on the software, it allows you to modify your presents by selecting amp models from a rather large selection (everything from a Fender Twin Reverb to modern high-gain metal amps). Furthering your amp model options, you can select the type of cabinet for the amp. Many effects such as compression, wah wah, overdrive, phaser, reverb, flanger, phase shifting, chorus, and delay can also be applied. An adjustable noise gate is also included. The software also supplies access to a community of other musicians that have uploaded their presets to be available to download, and supplies you the option too, if course. The amp itself is wonderful; more presets than you can ever use, adjustable standard controls like bass and treble for your presets, effect and delay/reverb selection for your presets, and the ability to save all your changes to your presets are nice and straightforward. The limited and time consuming amp-based adjusting of your presets requires you to hook it up to the Fender FUSE software. The auxiliary and headphone jacks are nice too. The footswitch is simple, and only provides two channels. The software is easy to use, and allows you to fine tune your tone. However, because of the amount of freedom available, fine tuning the desired tone can be tedious and time consuming, but well worth it. It gets an 8 because of the cheap footswitch and the difficulty in modifying the amp without using a computer. // 8

Sound: I play through this amp with a variety of guitars: Gibson, B.C. Rich, Fender, etc. Getting a good tone can be slightly time consuming but well worth it. Let me start by saying the clean tone is GORGEOUS and is an exception the previous sentence; it sounds great about any way you set it. It generally stays pretty clean and not distorted sounding, but I've not played it anything above halfway volume-wise. The distortion is probably its only considerable downside. Being the hard rock-metal player I am, I can be extremely picky about my dirty channels. It is very easy to make the amp settings sound "boxed in" and "confined", and the distortion very digital sounding. It is fairly difficult to get a nice, full, natural sounding distortion. The lighter distortion settings sound good, but high gain can be very pain staking. You CANNOT get a good Mesa Boogie-style high gain sound. Many hours of experimenting has produced a cranked-Marshall sort of tone that has a very "alive" feel. It's not perfect, but exquisite for a practice amp. I have used this amp live (mic'd it) and was happy with it. I was using the high gain setting I previously mentioned mostly. For the price the sound of this amp, distortion after hours of work as well, is UNBEATABLE. It's more powerful Mustang III and IV brothers are great amps too if you want more volume and a better sound. I give this amp a 8 because of the difficult high gain settings. Keep in mind I am happy with my high gain setting, it was just difficult getting there and modern extreme metal tones are more it less impossible. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've had no problems, gigs or otherwise, other than that the auxiliary jack quite literally snapped off. It is now practically unusable without applying some form of pressure. I've gigged with it... 6 times? It's done excellent all of them. I give this a 9 because the auxiliary jack breaking, since the auxiliary jack doesn't affect the tone of the amp. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mainly hard rock and metal through it, and have been thoroughly happy. It may not be the perfect amp for high gain settings ever, but it's unbeatable for the price. I've played it for a year now and also use a tuning pedal (Korg Blackout), a Crybaby Wah Wah, and a Phaser 90 by MXR with it. Despite the time needed to get your high gain settings good, it is a wonderful amp. I wish the high gain settings were better, but don't let that discourage you; if you have patience you can make the high gain settings sound good. The clean tones are gorgeous. If it was stolen, I'd replace it in a heartbeat, it's a fantastic amp, especially for the price. Go get one, you'll be extremely glad you did. // 9

Mustang II Reviewed by: Metalcore Jero, on february 11, 2011

Price paid: A$ 350

Purchased from: Mall Music

Features: The Fender Mustang series is a new addition to their lineup for 2010. A 40 watt solid state modelling amp featuring presets of: '57 Deluxe, '59 Bassman, '65 Twin Reverb, British 60's, British 80's, American 90's, Super-Sonic, and Metal 2000's, selected via the 'preset' knob which gives access to all 24 'channels' as each setting has three save banks represented by Red, Green and Amber lighting. Also features footswitch capability, a headhone jack and aux input and on board tuner. It comes with a Fender FUSE software disc for further modification. Modulation and Reverb effects also included along with gain, volume, treble, bass and a master volume control knob. Speaker size is 12''. // 9

Sound: I've used this with a variety of guitars ranging from a Jackson RR3 and modified JS30KE, an Agile Interceptor Pro 727, and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard through each preset playing everything from blues to death metal. For blues, pop, and rock it handles itself pretty well, depending on the preset you use. For anything heavier than ACDC though, this amp becomes harder to deal with. The onboard distortion is a bit lack luster, not really making a difference when the gain is turned up past 5. The Metal 2000's preset is the only one with some degree of distortion and even then its pathetically weak. For all things clean and softly distorted though its fantastic. Obviously if your a metal player though Fender isnt your first choice of amplification and this does nothing to change that. I haven't taken the volume above 5 on it yet, but it becomes pretty noisy on the Metal 2000's preset, but all the others are usually quiet. Because the clean presets rescue this amp, I give it a 5. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Since I play mostly metal in the style of Megadeth to death metal, I wouldn't gig with it, but if I were to play with a rock band I'd definitely consider it. It seems fairly solidly built and it hasn't given out on me once during extended practice sessions in the three months I've had it. // 9

Overall Impression: For the sytles I play, this really isnt an amp I would buy, due to the dismally weak distortion, but I'm not one to turn down a free amp either. For those of you who don't need a whole lot of distortion though, try one out and see if it works for you. The only pro's about having this amp for me are the clean presets which sound better than the ones on my Peavey Vypyr 30. If it were lost or stolen, I probably wouldn't care too much since I don't normally use it alot, but I do have a small soft spot for it. I'd recommend it for blues, soft rock, pop and maybe country players but not anyone else. // 6

Mustang II Reviewed by: austin-person, on november 08, 2011

Purchased from: Mundt Music Tyler, TX

Features: A 40W, 1x12 digital modeling amp. This has some really good features on it, with eight amp models and 24 presets (use Fender FUSE to get an additional four amps and unlimited presets saved to your computer), 24 built in effects, a gain, model volume, bass, treble, and amp volume nobs, a preset nob, two effects section divided into modulation and delay/reverb, an accurate tuner, a headphone jack/line out, an auxiliary out, and a footswitch, which is sold seperately. I play most anything except anything above heavy metal, and it does a good job The built in effects are very nice, but some of them are plain weird, and I don't use them unless I need a laugh. At 40W, this is great for home practice and some jamming, but you might need to mic it in live situations. One of the cool things with this amp is its sensibility to touch, which can really be noticed on the '57 Deluxe and Bassman models. You can also roll down the volume for some clean tones, or go from Drive to crunch on a Marshall-style amp. The Fender FUSE is fabulous, and can be used to really get in depth with amps. It also unlocks the Mid EQ control, as well as four additional amps. You can also download other user-made presets or additional Fender presets that were made for the Mustang III+. Overall, this amp gives you some good stuff to play with. (An additional note, scrap most of the presets, as most of them don't sound to good. Get into Fuse and make some good ones.) // 8

Sound: I play with an Epiphone Les Paul. All qualities of the guitar are retained. This amp has a PhD in cleans, and is great in low to mid drive. Most of the Fender models on this amp are very good. Notables are: - '57 Deluxe, which has a good clean tone at low gain and a FABULOUS Drive sound in the upper gain areas. - '59 Bassman. This isn't as good as the '57 Deluxe, but it retains all the Bassman qualities, including its mix of clean and driven tones. I've heard some good "Hey Joe" and other Hendrix played with this model. - Fender Deluxe Reverb: A good, mellow clean sound. I use it for some soothing tones. - '65 Twin Reverb: Much brighter than the Deluxe Reverb. Another fantastic amp model. Turn the gain to 7 and add some reverb, and I got a perfect "Heart-Shaped Box" tone. - British 70's: Modeled after a 70's Marshall, you get a great mid gain that is even good getting into higher gain territory. Perfect AC/DC tone. Those are the really good models on this amp. Now for some additional comments on the other built-in models. The British 60's model is based on a Vox AC30, I believe. You can get close to some Beatles, but it doesn't sound quite like a Vox. The British 80's setting is based on an 80's Marshall, and gives you more gain than the British 70's. It definitely sounds like a Marshall, but it begins to sound processed in the high-gain areas. I still use this setting quite a bit. Next on the list is American 90's, based on a Mesa Boogie Dual-Rectifer, I believe. It nails the tone pretty well, but it sounds too reserved, and not bold enough. Next is the Fender Supersonic, which is a piece of shit. The real Supersonic sounds four times better. I never use this model. Finally, we come on Metal 2000's. Based on a Peavey 6505, this model is gain and more gain, with some gnarly feedback to boot. Pinch harmonics are pretty easy to achieve with this model. It's quite a bit bolder than the American 90's setting, but still sounds a little to processed. I use this setting to mess around and have fun with. You can get a good variety of quality tones with this amp, but metal heads will be disappointed with the high-gain models. Seeing as I'm not a metal head, this doesn't concern me too much. To sum it up, clean to modern hard rock are great, and you can even venture into metal, but not much after that. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Seems sturdy and well built, everything is tight, and nothing feels very fragile. I would definitely trust this in a gig. // 9

Overall Impression: To sum everything up, everyone except those into really heavy metal will be delighted with this amp. I would definitely get a replacement if it got stolen. For those looking for a modeling amp with really high gain, check out the Roland Cube or Peavey Vyper. The Mustang, however, beats out the two in most everything else, in my opinion. // 8

Mustang II Reviewed by: arcitech, on march 05, 2012

Purchased from: GearTree (Amazon.com)

Features: Bought online last week. Has a good amount of features for a very good price. 24 presets (16 user presets can be modified and saved). Fender Fuse software if you like/need it. 2 preset selectable footswitch option (mine was included in the price). Aux in jack, 3.5mm headphone jack. Memory feature keeps your settings for volume, gain, bass and treble until you turn a knob, this makes setup very important if you are using this to gig or Jam (unexpected volume loss or surge is not the amps fault it only remembers the last setting you did). // 8

Sound: Running my Squier Affinity Strat with stock pickups this makes some decent tones. I've just recently decided to learn guitar and this is my polished turd of a guitar. Playing in a small attic room with hard floors and having the amp on the floor I like the tone and effects that are included. I've gone through all the settings and even modified a few just to see how flexible this amp can be. I really like the clean channel on the Fender and British settings (65 Twin Reverb is my favorite for now). Distortion is adequate for a PRACTICE amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Don't know yet how reliable this will be. I don't plan on moving it around a lot so I suppose it will last through a couple of guitars and maybe even hand it down to my grand-daughter. The fake carbon fiber covering looks OK for now, but I see how they glued it down and I expect some lifting in spots if this amp ever gets out of the house. // 7

Overall Impression: Since I'm still learning guitar I haven't found my favorite style yet. I'm more focused on getting my chords and strumming down and practicing with an acoustic once in a while. If I did have a style it would drift between Southern Rock and Power Ballads. I did a lot of reading on this forum and others, before buying the Mustang II. It is exactly what it claims to be, nothing more and certainly nothing less. If you are a beginner like me and you don't want to invest in a ton of equipment just to get the few tones that you like then absolutely get this amp. If you like to just Jam and have a good time, this is plenty of power for small spaces. If you need a backup amp, this might not be the best, but I feel it could hold up for one night. I really like the fact that my cheap Squier now sounds like a real guitar instead of a half dead honking goose. If it was stolen I would get a Mustang IV with the insurance money. The only feature that I would have like to seen would have been a line out jack so it could be used with a half stack, but that isn't what this is for, so I won't bitch about it. I would have to say out of all the amps I've listened to, this is by far the PERFECT PRACTICE AMP EVER! (for me). // 8

Mustang II Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 16, 2011

Purchased from: Moeller Music

Features: New amp, I think came out late 2010. Very versatile, can cover lots of sounds. Pretty much use for just playing at home, but capable for using for garage type playing or even a small venue. Lots of bells and whistles, and when used in conjuction with the FUSE software, is virtually inlimited. Everything with the exception of extreme heavy metal is what this amp is all about. // 10

Sound: Play with a MIM fitted with VN pick-ups. Played next to a Twin reverb, did the A-B thing, and wickedly close. You can't tell a difference. Most of the amps modeled are dead on. Interestingly enough, the Fender deluxe reverb is not one of the eight amp models offered, but can be substituted in. The Vox and Masrhall are also freightenly accurate. // 9

Reliability & Durability: So far, so good. But only have had this for one month. Typically fenders hold up very well. I am sure if you dropped this from any downtown tower might make an amusing crash, but outside of this, you can say it is a safe bet. I will advise further later when the family leaves, and I can jack up the volume to a "10". // 10

Overall Impression: Fender hit a home run on this. Sounds very close to the old tube sound, with little to none of the modeling sound. The effects are good, but quite great. For the money, this is awfully tough to beat. You can have a lot of fun with this amp. I have been playing for over 25 years, and am exited when something this good comes out, and cost so little // 10

Mustang II Reviewed by: Riandez, on september 08, 2011

Purchased from: Hobgoblin

Features: 40W amp with a single 12" speaker. Solid state amp with a range of sounds, mixable via USB. It has plenty of presets, 24 in the amp, all of which can be overwritten. Unlimited presets can be stored on a computer. Effects include Chorus, Flange, Phaser, Tremolo, Vibratone, Step filter, Reverb, Echo, Octaver etc. Along with the guitar input is a small jack input for ipods etc - very useful - which bypasses the preamp circuitry. To finish off, a chromatic tuner with led lights is built in to the amp. I currently have an axe-fx - a stupendous piece of kit, but have started using the Fender almost exlusively - mic'd up and going through the axe for a bit of compression and reverb. Tried it out in a semi-live (electric drums) situation recently and the clean/slightly overdriven channels are fantastic. // 9

Sound: Superb crystal cleans and slightly overdriven cleans. Great balance of mids and highs. The natural compression feels tubelike and for music such as Lynyrd Skynyrd, Grateful Dead etc it is spot on. The heavier end is not scooped enough for some metal, though I've recorded it and applied post EQ and it can almost generate a Justice For All rhythm. It does Megadeth in its sleep. Superb for Foos, Queens of the Stone Age. The metal 2000 channel is also amazingly good both for Dream Theater rhythm and lead, and you can even find Guthrie's lead if you tweak enough. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Haven't thrown it out of a 4-storey window yet, but otherwise feels like it's built to last. As mentioned, it is light as a feather for what it is. If I remember correctly about 11kg, It's got a rugged finish similar to a boogie. The knobs are stury, the lights bright, though in low light settings, you just have to go on Faith with what sound you've selected as the amp names on the dial are just too faint. // 9

Overall Impression: I picked this amp up initially because I needed the lightest (to take on a plane) amp with a decent 12" speaker. The guy in Hobgoblin said that everyone passed this one by to go for PODs, but that they had missed a gem. He wasn't wrong. It's a superb amp. I play a lot of metal, DT, as well as Lynyrd and clean stuff - even Jazz on my Godin - basically the whole spectrum and this amp is the D's B's. It sounds better mic'd up and straight into my soundcard than my Axe-fx - with that speaker punch that no emulator can ermm...emulate. Distortions are great. They may be a bit soft around the bass for metalheads, but a pedal up front should sharpen that up. As they stand they cut through the mix fantastically well and for leadwork the amp just sings with great feedback at even very low levels - though that may also be the guitar and amp working together. For the money, I think I may have one of the best 12" amps around. // 10

Mustang II Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 21, 2012

Purchased from: Guitar center

Features: This amp has a good bit of features. It has 2 channels for a channel footswitch you can buy. It has quite a few effects on it, but if you have a computer you can hook it up via USB cable with an application called Fender FUSE and get MANY effects, with deep editing and you can change the cabinet sound. You can also record though USB, and it sounds pretty good. This amp also has a 1/8 inch auxiliary input for iPods, mp3 players CD, etc. It also has a 1/8 inch headphone output for silent playing. The amp has a tap tempo button for effects, and it you hold in the tap tempo button, there is a built in tuner which is really nice to have. It is a solid state amp, but sounds good, and USB recording is stereo, so stereo delay goes from speaker to speaker. // 9

Sound: I use a Fender Strat with Seymour Duncan Hotrail pickups, which are high output ceramic humbuckers. It sounds pretty good. I play metal, but also lots of alternative/grunge like Nirvana and Seether. This amp isn't that noisy because it has built in noise suppressor that you can modify in Fender FUSE. But with single coils on the distorted settings, it's noisy, but humbuckers are great with it. The clean settings are AMAZING and don't get dirty at high volumes. The distortion overall is exceptional, it is brutal but causes a good bit of feedback, which is good sometimes. I bought a Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff and this amp handles it well. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is very reliable, being solid state, and I would not need a backup, I trust this amp and would gig with it. I've had it for about 3 months, and no problem, but the power input thing has platic on it that rattles when the bass is heavy, I need to tighten it, but that's no big problem. It built strong. // 10

Overall Impression: I really like this amp. I would most likely replace it if it were stolen. I love the effects it has and most of all I love Fender FUSE and USB recording. // 9

Mustang II Reviewed by: henboyrules, on february 27, 2012

Features: About 8 months ago, I had quit the band I was in and my 100 watt Crate RFX100 combo was starting to feedback way too much. I didn't need a whole lot of power, so I decided to get the Fender Mustang II 40 watt amp. I chose it because of it's very light, and it has enough power that I can Jam with my buddies, built not so much that playing it in my room will cause my ears to bleed. I paid $200 for it new. I'd have to say that I've been mostly satisfied by it. It has 24 programmable channels, 16 of which you can program with the knobs on the top of the amp. I comes with 3 different pieces of software: a recording software, Fender Fuse (which allows you to program settings on the amp on a computer and share them with other players) and another piece of software that I can't figure out how to use. I'm not a fan of the recording software that it comes with because it doesn't record the sound into an mp3 file. You might be saying, "Well just use a converter to put it in mp3." The problem with that is that I haven't been able to find a converter that works with the file format of the recordings. One big problem I have with this amp is that the foot pedal you can buy for it is pretty much garbage. It switches up the channels, but if you play with more than one band, then it makes it difficult to go through your presets. It comes With a headphone jack and place to plug your iPod, phone, or whatever listening device you use in it. I use it as my stereo when I'm at home, so the sound for mp3's is pretty nice. // 8

Sound: When I play through it, I use an Epiphone Les Paul Standard loaded with a JB in the bridge position and a Jazz in the neck. This amp does great with blues and classic rock tones. Pretty much anywhere from B.B. King to Guns N Roses. Any heavier than that and the distortion sounds terrible. The metal tones sound completely computer generated, and the feedback is unbearable. If you play jazz, this is not the amp for you. I've tried for hours to dial in a jazz tone, but I just can't on the Mustang II. // 6

Reliability & Durability: When it comes to reliability, this amp is pretty solid. I use it every week in gigs without a back-up and I don't fear that it will stop working at all. Then only problem with reliability is that the preset will change without you changing it sometimes. Also every once in a while, when you turn it on, no sound will come out of it. But other than that, it's great! // 9

Overall Impression: I play everything from jazz to blues to rock to metal, and it's great for blues and rock, but terrible for jazz and metal. If it were stolen, I'd probably get an amp by Acoustic or Marshall instead just because they can do more of what I like. I love the versatility, but I hate the metal tones. They just sound absolutely terrible. // 5

Mustang II Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 17, 2012

Price paid: C$ 200

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: Ok, so this is a review on the Fender Mustang 2. It's a solid state amp with a 1x12 speaker and a crapload of built in effects and presets. 40w. I've had this amp for about half a year. I mainly use this amp for bedroom practice and jamming with a drummer and a bass. It's loud enough for both. Has a headphone jack for when I play early morning or late at night. Controls include a gain, gain volume, treble, bass, and master volume. Also has a modulation and a reverb/delay control. The presets are either garbage or pretty alright. I like using the Twin Reverb channel for my cleans, sounds great. I use the British rock channels for stuff like AC/DC, Gun N Roses, etc. The bassman and deluxe channels are ok, I don't really like them that much. The rest are shit. Never play through those. Overall though, this amp is alright and comes with some nice built in stuff. // 7

Sound: The sound of this amp is generally ok, except when the volume goes above 7, the amp starts to clip. DO NOT PLAY ANY HIGH GAIN MUSIC ON THIS. The most gain you can Drive this thing to is like an ac/dc sound. Anymore, it sounds horrible and wayy too computerized and basically bullshit. I usually play through this amp with my Epiphone Nighthawk and sometimes my Gibson LP studio. Very versatile amp, and cover anything but metal pretty well. Although it takes a lot of tweaking to get a moderately jazzy sound out of it. Otherwise, pretty nice. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very durable. I have banged it against walls and dropped it numerous times without so much as a dent. This thing is built very solidly. This amp has never broken down on me and I can safely take it to a gig without a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is an alright buy for the money, pretty decent for someone who's starting out or doesn't want anything fancy. It's a versatile amp, covers alot of ground pretty well. If it got stolen or lost, I would be disappointed, but if someone stole my Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, I would be absolutely devastated. I would probably end up buying something similar to this amp for practice and such. A couple of things I like about this amp is that its built well, and some presets sound close to an actual twin, or maybe a Vintage Marshall. What I don't like about this amp is that it has a whole wack of software and fx that I never really use. Also I wish that it would go into higher gain territories. Otherwise its a pretty good amp. If you think this is something you are looking for go check it out, definitely. // 7

Mustang II Reviewed by: jma1111, on april 23, 2013

Features: My Mustang II amp was made in 2010 or 2011 I believe. It is a very versatile modeling amp. It can do good metal tones, to amazing cleans for any genre imaginable. I play metal, rock, grunge and other genres similar to those, this can cover all of them quite well. It has 2 switchable channels, accessible with a optional footswitch. It can hold 27 presets in the banks, 12 modulation effects, and 12 reverb and/or delay effects, all parameters can be modified from Fender fuse, and saved into an effect bank, allowing access without a PC. The amp has no effect loop, but it does have an AUX in, nice for drum loops/playing to mp3s, headphone out, and best of all, USB. This can connect you to a PC for Fender fuse, which gives you access to EVEN MORE stomp boxes, like fuzz, overdrive, and many extra types of delay/reverb, and lets you customize your sound more, with cab simulation and sag and bias knobs. It also gives you many more amp models to work with. USB also lets you record into a DAW for perfect line in quality, and in stereo sound for amazing depth with the stereo effects like delay, chorus, and leslie simulation. I find that I mostly use effects and other preset banks when recording. When I just play, I use a EHX Metal Muff for even better distortion tone on a good clean amp setting. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Fender Stratocaster with a Duncan HotRail Bridge, and recently an Ibanez S570MQM. It can get good distortion tones, but I found using a EHX Metal Muff pedal can get MUCH better sound. The distortion models on this amp are ok, they are SUPER heavy, but also very noisy, and unusable with single coils. The amp has a noise gate, if you turn it off, there is lots of hum, even with humbuckers. The cleans though are amazing. Being made by fender, this amp has many Fender models, all sounding great. I favor the Twin, and use my Metal Muff to get great thrash tones. The amp does not really distort at high volumes, but it has 3 controls for that. Gain, volume and master. Gain does as expected, makes it distort, the volume makes the amp Drive harder, and simulates a loud amp, master controls how much volume overall is coming out of your speaker. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Definitely a reliable amp. I've never gigged with it, and its only left the house once, but it could survive a good bit of abuse. It does not have metal corner protectors though, which are always good to have, but anybody can add some if needed. The amp has never had any issues with me, being a reliable solid state piece of equipment, I don't think it ever will! Only problem was that the power input socket vibrates and makes a annoying loud sound if you hit a note and the amp rumbles, like the 7th fret on the low E. I fixed this with some poster putty. // 8

Overall Impression: This is good match for me, as pretty much any style of music. If it were stolen, I would buy it again, but in the new Mustang V2 edition, same price and all, just more feature and updated everything. I love the USB recording, great feature for anybody to record and sound amazing! I also enjoy having many effects to use, just if I need them, but as I said, that is mainly if I'm recording. I've compared it to the Vox VT+, and Peavey Vypyr, but chose this. The Vypyr may be better for distorted tones all in one unit, BUT the Mustang's cleans are great, and with my distortion pedal, I can get the best distorted and clean tones from a modeling amplifier. // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ '64 Bandmaster Head 9 Guitar Amplifiers 07/22/2014